Mariah's Carey - Through The Rain

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby matte » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:52 pm

I only just found this site - they did an article on Mariah and it's featured on a few Mariah fansites. I was wondering if there were any MC fans here?
Has anyone else heard the new song? The New York radio station played it early. I really love it. Reminds some people of Hero.
matte
Groupie

Postby Aliiyssa » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:55 pm

I love it, and I love her!
I'm a HUGE Marah fan, I have all her albums, a lot of her singles too.
She's an amazing, singer/song-writer, she's great!
Riposarsi Negli Pesca Madre - 1960 - 2004
Ti Voglio Bene! Per cortesìa orologio io!
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby matte » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:09 pm

That's so cool! I LOVE Mariah! "Through The Rain" sounds like a cross between There For Me and Butterfly to me. I think it's great. :D
Ya know there's a site for UK Mariah fans? www.mariahcareyuk.com
matte
Groupie

Postby MikaZ » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:24 pm

This new song is very beautiful !!!
Mariah's voice is totally incredible !!!
The end's song is somptuous :D
MikaZ
Groupie

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:41 am

I cannot wait to hear this song, i have heard good things about it and im glad she is doing what she does best and that is ballads I think she just had a bit of a ruff patch in her glitter stage and now is back on track

Go Mariah
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:00 am

I am a HUGE fan of Mariah Carey!!

Mainly because my mum loves her (not so much these days, but still nicks my cd's) and I was brought up with her music... her first single coming out when I was 4 and all ... so I've admired her and been a fan for as long as I can remember. Her music is brilliant - some truly touching stuff, some wicked club mixes and some extremely cool rap remixes of her tracks.... she's damn fine, can sing, write (and despite what some might say) and act. Hope this new single does very well!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:06 am

And in case you haven't read it yet, I recently wrote an article about her... check it out at: http://ukmix.org/articles/2002/mariah.html
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby matte » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:14 am

Muzikritik, you wrote that article? No way!! It was very good! It's been featured on a few Mariah sites!
matte
Groupie

Postby Muzikritik » Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:20 pm

Way!! :lol:

Yeah I noticed it was on some MC fansites - pretty damn happy wif dat!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Boogie_2nite » Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:03 pm

i don't love the song but it's good and i would buy it
*Single Of The Week - Beverley Knight - Come As You Are*
Boogie_2nite
Superstar

Postby Kev » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:06 pm

I hated the song at first, but it has certainly grew on me.
Kev
Manager

Postby matte » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:44 pm

Yeah, a few fans I've spoken to were at first a little disappointed because I think they were expecting a big power ballad and Through The Rain has a more subtle beauty and now more and more people are warming to it :)
Apparently it will be on UK radio after Sept 27th and released as a single here aftr Nov 13th sometime. Then we'll get the new album Dec 2nd. So exciting!

-Matte
www.mariahcareyuk.com
matte
Groupie

Postby Amir » Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:51 am

I love Mariah big time (I own everything she's released in the UK except a handful of her earliest singles) and I'm glad she'll be going back to the Mariah of old, i.e. the Ferrari in 6th gear :) "Through The Rain" is definitely proof of that - it's a beautiful track, and didn't take many listens to grow on me.

I do have one concern though: I'm not sure it's the best choice for a single. It's similar in style to "Butterfly", but that single ended Mariah's run of consecutive UK Top 10 hits, only landing at 22....

Amir. 8-)
Amir
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:31 am

Yes, that's what I was sorta worryin' bout. Wait no, I wasn't "worryin'" as such, but I couldn't think of a better word! :-? Hmmm, anyway: There aren't that many ballads like hers that do very well on the charts these days - mostly all at least mid-tempo songs... and those that are ballads at the moment seem to be either rock ballads (Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd, Creed) or guy/girl Hip-hop collaborations (Ja Rule/Ashanti, Nelly/Kelly).

In fact, her last couple of ballads (Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) and Never Too Far) did really badly, so I'm not sure how it will perform chartwise... I'm optimistic, but I do not think it'll reach #1 in any country! I hope that I'm proven wrong tho!

"MC, baby sing it to me!"
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Kev » Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:24 am

I was thinking that too about it not being a good choice for a single. But we'll see.
Kev
Manager

Postby aneta » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:42 pm

Amir wrote:I do have one concern though: I'm not sure it's the best choice for a single. It's similar in style to "Butterfly", but that single ended Mariah's run of consecutive UK Top 10 hits, only landing at 22....
There's one difference now though: While (the very beautiful) "Butterfly" was a second single, hugely in the shadow of the megahit "Honey", "Through The Rain" is the first / leading single for a new Mariah album, which makes it bigger, if you know what I mean.

Also, the song has a clearer melody, catchier chorus than Butterfly, and the lyrics are more accesible (surely more people can relate to "I will make it through the rain" than to "spread your wings and prepare to fly" ;-)), don't get me wrong, "Butterfly" is one of my favourite ballads ever, the lyrics are beautiful, quite inspiring and they metaphors make the song much more artistic than any literally-meaning song, yet for a leading single you might want to put out something easier to understand.

As for the song itself, very nice, love the power vocals from halfway though till the end (makes you think of Vision Of Love and Whitney's "Where Do Broken Hearts Go"), a little bit of a shame with the start - I know a lot of people dislike the breathiness in her 'quiet' voice, but should do alright given that it's being picked up nicely by the media, it's all quite positive stuff.

I know what you mean about ballads though - even Celine Dion releases up-tempos nowadays :-?
aneta
Admin Babe

Postby Tiger » Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:04 pm

I love love LOVE this track! It's so amazing and I'm so happy that Mariah snapped out of her slutty,ooooaaah-ing days and to more serious things,the stuff that actually made her :)

I like her breathy vocals,they're cute :p

Oh and about Butterfly,I loved that song soooo much and when I found out that it flopped I was gutted! I mean such an amazing track deserved a Top 10 at least :)
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby aneta » Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:55 pm

Yeah at the time I got the album, and it had a sticker on it saying "Includes the singles Honey and Buterfly" (or something along the lines) I thought "Butterfly" would be as big as "One Sweet Day", it's quite a powerful track.
aneta
Admin Babe

Postby Aliiyssa » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:03 pm

Was 'Butterfly' ever released in the US?
I don't think it was.
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby Boogie_2nite » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:04 pm

i dunno, the album u mean or single?
Boogie_2nite
Superstar

Postby Aliiyssa » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:06 pm

The single!
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby Boogie_2nite » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:07 pm

oh no i don't think it was btw. i the album was tho!

i am not that sure tho but i am pretty sure it wasn't!
Boogie_2nite
Superstar

Postby aneta » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:15 pm

Boogie_2nite wrote:oh no i don't think it was btw. i the album was tho!

i am not that sure tho but i am pretty sure it wasn't!
Eh? Can you speak a bit clearer Boogie please.
aneta
Admin Babe

Postby Aliiyssa » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:46 pm

Anyway, I thought 'Butterfly' would get a lot higher than #22.
Especailly becasue, like Amir said, she was enjoying a long run of top 10 singles.
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby TheLittleVoice » Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:36 am

The song is awesome!!! I hope it gets to no.1 She deserves it this time.
Check out the coolest Swedish music sensation Sahlene!

The coolest Rockband Sugardaddy Superstar
TheLittleVoice
Groupie

Return to The Retro