US Billboard Charts (07/04/2007)

Moderators: trebor, nympho, kingofskiffle

 

Postby MJDangerous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm

joao wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
jszmiles wrote:Akon no. 1 that must be a joke, please BR tell me that you were only guessing...
It is not a just, #1 in the Airplay chart, #3 in the download one...

Five songs over 100k in a normal week is just amazing, downloads still climbing hugely week after week, how many time will we wait until the first 10 million downloads song ?

The first 3m song in the US will occur surely within' a year, songs can be achieves 4m downloads in Japan alone, adding all other countries... The potential market of downloads is much bigger than the physical one.

Everybody is talking about the music industry dying, it is for sure here best time ever, we only have to wait until the end of the change of support (CD > DL) to see massive sellers again, maybe stronger than ever.
But doesn´t an artist has to sell 10 downloads to make the profit of just one album sold??? So it´s better to have a #50 album selling 15,000 copies then to have a Top 3 download song selling 100,000 copies. If the market of physical albums continues to decrease from 10 to 20% each year, not doubt it´s gonna die... And downloads won´t keep increasing crazily like this forever. It´s a new market (less then 5 years) and the tendence is to stabilize.
The album market is dying just like the single one 5 years ago, the album market will recover thanks to downloads just like the single one has recover thanks to downloads. We have only to wait, between 2 'eras' of supports, people always talk about the music industry dying, they have done it in early 80's with the death of vinyls, 15 years later CD sales were miles higher than any vinyls' sales.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
User avatar
MJDangerous
Legend
 
Posts: 11969
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004
Location: France

Postby AutomaticBR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Complete Hot 100 added

i'm very glad for Pink and Joss Stone :D
User avatar
AutomaticBR
Legend
 
Posts: 12788
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004
Location: Brasil

Postby Snoop1971 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Billboard 200

1 * MODEST MOUSE WE WERE DEAD BEFORE THE SHIP E 128564 999 250 128819
2 * STONE*JOSS INTRODUCING JOSS STONE 118039 999 158 118214
3 * YAMIN*ELLIOTT ELLIOTT YAMIN 90439 999 70 90511
4 DAUGHTRY DAUGHTRY 76231 -4 79609 2039337
5 * HOUSTON*MARQUES VETERAN 68647 999 107 68760
6 AKON KONVICTED 68567 -4 71133 1932106
7 LLOYD STREET LOVE 55492 -62 144304 200164
8 MUSIQ SOULCHILD LUVANMUSIQ 53807 -64 149259 203581
9 RICH BOY RICH BOY 48715 -56 111853 160966
10 WINEHOUSE*AMY BACK TO BLACK 47667 -6 50888 98622
11 TIMBERLAKE*JUSTIN FUTURESEX/LOVE SOUNDS 41881 -1 42184 3001572
12 THICKE*ROBIN EVOLUTION OF ROBIN THICKE 40119 -1 40518 852654
13 FERGIE DUTCHESS 39678 -1 40161 1642312
14 JONES*NORAH NOT TOO LATE 38742 -4 40150 1164849
15 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE SOME HEARTS 37663 -11 42328 5115957
16 FALL OUT BOY INFINITY ON HIGH 37644 -13 43132 663998
17 NICKELBACK ALL THE RIGHT REASONS 34678 -6 36958 5123853
18 FURTADO*NELLY LOOSE 33873 -3 34772 1592482
19 YOUNG*NEIL LIVE AT MASSEY HALL 33520 -42 57399 91447
20 * INSANE CLOWN POSSE TEMPEST 33297 999 200 33501
21 * HANNAH MONTANA SOUNDTRACK 33195 79 18579 2321995
22 RAE*CORINNE BAILEY CORINNE BAILEY RAE 32271 -5 34005 1329524
23 CELTIC WOMAN NEW JOURNEY 29174 -13 33542 287292
24 ARCADE FIRE NEON BIBLE 26001 -29 36769 154924
25 STEFANI*GWEN SWEET ESCAPE 25813 -1 26051 1027875
26 * BABY BOY DA PRINCE ACROSS THE WATER 25660 999 48 25710
27 ALLAN*GARY GREATEST HITS 25654 -33 38136 133728
28 8-BALL & MJG RIDIN' HIGH 25589 -49 49959 75969
29 NOTORIOUS B.I.G. GREATEST HITS 24955 -36 38703 163154
30 * DEVIN THE DUDE WAITIN' TO INHALE 24909 999 724 25633
31 * CRIME MOB HATED ON MOSTLY 22071 999 104 22178
32 RASCAL FLATTS ME AND MY GANG 21594 -6 22858 3862206
33 HINDER EXTREME BEHAVIOR 20646 2 20226 2167311
34 SWIFT*TAYLOR TAYLOR SWIFT 20387 0 20419 524425
35 * MARLEY*STEPHEN MIND CONTROL 19734 999 52 19787
36 MAYER*JOHN CONTINUUM 19603 -8 21270 1552830
37 YOUNG JEEZY INSPIRATION: THUG MOTIVATION 18446 0 18379 968020
38 DIXIE CHICKS TAKING THE LONG WAY 18136 -17 21857 2168249
39 RELIENT K FIVE SCORE & SEVEN YEARS AGO 17648 -28 24387 83105
40 GYM CLASS HEROES AS CRUEL AS SCHOOL CHILDREN 17105 5 16216 245676
41 ALLEN*LILY ALRIGHT STILL 15757 -17 18891 192682
42 LEVERT*GERALD IN MY SONGS 15633 -15 18411 313973
43 VARIOUS 2007 GRAMMY NOMINEES 15428 -21 19414 462381
44 VARIOUS NOW 23 15216 -4 15868 2136636
45 CIARA EVOLUTION 15047 -1 15210 1072371
46 * LCD SOUNDSYSTEM SOUND OF SILVER 14989 0 14989
47 FRAY HOW TO SAVE A LIFE 14842 -3 15302 1961354
48 KIDZ BOP KIDS KIDZ BOP 11 14683 -17 17764 165637
49 AGUILERA*CHRISTINA BACK TO BASICS 14621 -1 14700 1454260
50 KORN MTV UNPLUGGED 14584 -37 23152 89136
51 SHINS WINCING THE NIGHT AWAY 14491 -5 15292 336109
52 MORRISON*JAMES UNDISCOVERED 14272 -40 23638 37923
53 * SPEKTOR*REGINA BEGIN TO HOPE 14163 43 9879 344848
54 BEYONCE B'DAY 14001 -13 16101 2360711
55 JUMP IN! SOUNDTRACK 13837 0 13903 349884
56 VARIOUS RADIO DISNEY JAMS V9 13572 -1 13728 27707
57 EVANESCENCE OPEN DOOR 13511 -11 15151 1650557
58 30 SECONDS TO MARS BEAUTIFUL LIE 13473 2 13157 881312
59 PRETTY RICKY LATE NIGHT SPECIAL 13419 -15 15773 384954
60 DREAMGIRLS SOUNDTRACK 13396 -25 17927 918254
61 URBAN*KEITH LOVE PAIN & THE WHOLE CRAZY T 13094 -11 14653 1232312
62 MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE BLACK PARADE,THE 12945 -9 14293 1007752
63 RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS STADIUM ARCADIUM 12679 -8 13855 1998260
64 * NELSON/HAGGARD/PRICE LAST OF THE BREED 12615 999 14 12629
65 300 SOUNDTRACK 12547 -13 14400 37638
66 RED JUMPSUIT APPARATUS DON'T YOU FAKE IT 12241 -1 12394 524019
67 pus*yCAT DOLLS PCD 12137 -17 14671 2643740
68 * PINK I'M NOT DEAD 11686 30 8957 639398
69 SUGARLAND ENJOY THE RIDE 11641 -9 12833 932482
70 TURNER*JOSH YOUR MAN 11623 -6 12319 1729128
71 * KILLERS SAM'S TOWN 11588 11 10478 1078681
72 CELTIC WOMAN CELTIC WOMAN 11453 -9 12642 984499
73 THREE DAYS GRACE ONE-X 11422 -3 11762 644360
74 * MCPHEE*KATHARINE KATHARINE MCPHEE 11270 10 10242 269609
75 ATKINS*RODNEY IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL 11264 -8 12239 852094
76 * BIRD*ANDREW ARMCHAIR APOCRYPHA 11251 999 52 11316
77 * GUERRA*JUAN LUIS LA LLAVE DE MI CORAZON 11209 999 205 11415
78 * EL-P I'LL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD 11197 999 220 11417
79 TOBYMAC PORTABLE SOUNDS 11187 -7 12011 50265
80 WILLIAMS*LUCINDA WEST 10899 -5 11502 139172
81 SEVENDUST ALPHA 10538 -29 14946 67978
82 TISDALE*ASHLEY HEADSTRONG 10260 -3 10571 160275
83 BLUE OCTOBER FOILED 10249 -6 10856 917252
84 FRATELLIS COSTELLO MUSIC 9968 -33 14883 24870
85 * BENTLEY*DIERKS LONG TRIP ALONE 9959 12 8868 375812
86 GROBAN*JOSH AWAKE 9841 -7 10558 1573268
87 PAISLEY*BRAD TIME WELL WASTED 9797 -7 10493 1875810
88 BLIGE*MARY J. REFLECTIONS: A RETROSPECTIVE 9660 -16 11522 643410
89 * HASTE THE DAY PRESSURE THE HINGES 9584 999 26 8995
90 DIDDY PRESS PLAY 9524 0 9517 583892
91 * SNOW PATROL EYES OPEN 9417 10 8535 943301
92 BIRDMAN & LIL' WAYNE LIKE FATHER LIKE SON 9369 -11 10478 678233
93 EMINEM PRESENTS: RE-UP EMINEM PRESENTS: RE-UP 9295 -8 10140 934553
94 BENNETT*TONY DUETS: AMERICAN CLASSIC 9190 4 8823 1450639
95 MCGRAW*TIM VOL. 2-GREATEST HITS 9145 6 8662 1714228
96 MORRISON*VAN VAN MORRISON AT THE MOVIES 9067 -5 9565 88354
97 * AUGUSTANA ALL THE STARS & BOULEVARDS 9017 21 7454 213195
98 BREAKING BENJAMIN PHOBIA 8904 5 8466 541237
99 LUDACRIS RELEASE THERAPY 8778 -5 9239 1140846
100 OMARION 21 8461 2 8256 330735
101 BOW WOW PRICE OF FAME 8433 -12 9560 470026
102 TYPE O NEGATIVE DEAD AGAIN 8334 -62 22197 30661
103 BROOKS & DUNN HILLBILLY DELUXE 8330 -7 8942 1330577
104 BEATLES LOVE 8310 -18 10187 1368483
105 LEGEND*JOHN ONCE AGAIN 8262 -3 8549 1006789
106 * HUDGENS*VANESSA V 8243 20 6852 419872
107 BUCKCHERRY 15 8215 9 7521 647526
108 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL SOUNDTRACK 8003 3 7796 3872069
109 * LEO*TED & THE PHARMACISTS LIVING WITH THE LIVING 7993 999 163 8157
110 U2 U218 SINGLES 7828 -10 8745 662977
111 BLIGE*MARY J. BREAKTHROUGH 7695 -21 9759 2884527
112 * J.DILLA RUFF DRAFT 7691 999 347 8049
113 HELLOGOODBYE ZOMBIES! ALIENS! VAMPIRES! DIN 7674 -3 7891 315200
114 CARROLL*JASON MICHAEL WAITIN' IN THE COUNTRY 7645 -14 8925 140685
115 NAS HIP HOP IS DEAD 7633 -12 8655 689187
116 ADKINS*TRACE DANGEROUS MAN 7629 -3 7889 595028
117 * SHAW BLADES INFLUENCE 7608 187 2653 14248
118 * KEARNEY*MAT NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE 7440 35 5520 181994
119 FINGER ELEVEN THEM VS. YOU VS. ME 7395 -20 9196 35750
120 GAME DOCTOR'S ADVOCATE 7381 -6 7891 893532
121 NICHOLS*JOE III 7363 0 7387 608737
122 SALIVA BLOOD STAINED LOVE STORY 7352 -2 7530 108996
123 INCUBUS LIGHT GRENADES 7281 6 6890 531382
124 SILVERSUN PICKUPS CARNAVAS 7248 1 7205 106500
125 WRECKERS STAND STILL LOOK PRETTY 7130 -9 7844 701567
126 VARIOUS WOW GOSPEL 2007 7106 -15 8357 109208
127 SNOOP DOGG BLUE CARPET TREATMENT 6961 -2 7137 830067
128 BENSON*G/A JARREAU GIVIN' IT UP 6917 -7 7405 119691
129 VARIOUS TOTALLY COUNTRY V6 6887 -9 7531 126866
130 * FLYLEAF FLYLEAF 6830 32 5159 560444
131 PICKLER*KELLIE SMALL TOWN GIRL 6748 -10 7490 477882
132 MUSIC & LYRICS SOUNDTRACK 6513 -25 8728 57685
133 JAY-Z KINGDOM COME 6501 -14 7563 1402408
134 WOW HYMNS WOW HYMNS 6415 -3 6592 13269
135 ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS MOVE ALONG 6324 -11 7130 1844874
136 * CASH*JOHNNY LEGEND OF JOHNNY CASH 6320 27 4961 2364286
137 * NUTINI*PAOLO THESE STREETS 6253 29 4848 59186
138 AVENTURA KINGS OF BACHATA 6220 10 5670 100829
139 FANTASIA FANTASIA 6212 -9 6802 329644
140 BROKEN BRIDGES SOUNDTRACK 6181 -9 6807 293478
141 SOLIS*MARCO ANTONIO LA HISTORIA CONTIN·A.PARTE III 6093 -22 7852 32033
142 CARPENTER*MARY-CHAPIN CALLING 6080 -36 9490 28371
143 TUNSTALL*KT EYE TO THE TELESCOPE 6060 -17 7325 1013684
144 STRAIT*GEORGE IT JUST COMES NATURAL 6056 -12 6856 990546
145 * DEANDA*PAULA PAULA DEANDA 6027 15 5240 188545
146 ALDEAN*JASON JASON ALDEAN 5895 -7 6318 926038
147 WOW HITS WOW HITS 2007 5867 -8 6351 263911
148 CARS SOUNDTRACKS 5804 7 5416 853321
149 DADDY'S LITTLE GIRLS SOUNDTRACK 5787 -22 7401 130571
150 UNK BEAT'N DOWN YO BLOCK 5679 10 5169 113377
151 * GLORY REVEALED GLORY REVEALED 5636 44 3921 4250
152 AIR POCKET SYMPHONY 5603 -20 7025 29589
153 BROWN*CHRIS CHRIS BROWN 5592 -11 6315 1882534
154 ELIZALDE*VALENTIN VENCEDOR 5587 -10 6239 148003
155 LAWRENCE*TRACY FOR THE LOVE 5575 -5 5859 62151
156 * MAYLENE & THE SONS OF DISASTER II 5535 999 23 5562
157 LOS CAMINANTES LA HISTORIA LO MAS CHULO CHULO 5469 -23 7071 46859
158 JACKSON*ALAN LIKE RED ON A ROSE 5464 5 5228 656529
159 GRIFFIN*PATTY CHILDREN RUNNING THROUGH 5353 -4 5601 77326
160 * BOSE*MIGUEL PAPITO 5331 999 157 5488
161 ANBERLIN CITIES 5325 -14 6181 60738
162 GNARLS BARKLEY ST. ELSEWHERE 5300 -5 5587 1271422
163 WILLIAMS*HANK JR. THAT'S HOW THEY DO IT IN DIXIE 5173 -10 5762 351758
164 MCKENNITT*LOREENA ANCIENT MUSE 5158 1 5090 154474
165 TOOL 10000 DAYS 5102 4 4927 1452610
166 MANA AMAR ES COMBATIR 5090 -1 5155 388143
167 ELIZALDE*VALENTIN LOBO DOMESTICADO 5049 -16 5988 77390
168 BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE POISON 5010 4 4832 225129
169 STONE SOUR COME WHAT(EVER) MAY 4914 3 4784 544738
170 IL DIVO SIEMPRE 4858 0 4881 882851
171 CURRINGTON*BILLY DOIN' SOMETHIN' RIGHT 4850 6 4557 767986
172 * THORN*TRACEY OUT OF THE WOODS 4834 999 25 4859
173 EMINEM CURTAIN CALL 4799 -5 5033 2709175
174 CHIMAIRA RESURRECTION 4774 -26 6421 29467
175 CHESNEY*KENNY ROAD & THE RADIO 4752 8 4383 2740470
176 TYRESE ALTER EGO 4739 -17 5743 331244
177 TOMLIN*CHRIS SEE THE MORNING 4651 1 4597 98510
178 JACKSON*ALAN PRECIOUS MEMORIES 4606 -7 4928 1256411
179 DISTURBED TEN THOUSAND FISTS 4571 1 4538 1387519
180 BLOC PARTY WEEKEND IN THE CITY 4513 0 4507 95746
181 RISE AGAINST SUFFERER & THE WITNESS 4466 -8 4862 287206
182 * LAUREANO*GUSTAVO KINGCALLERO DEL AMOR 4459 999 4 4463
183 MELLENCAMP*JOHN FREEDOM'S ROAD 4433 -11 4990 154077
184 CONNICK*HARRY JR. OH, MY NOLA 4425 -17 5305 142110
185 * CLYNE*ROGER & PEACEMAKERS NO MORE BEAUTIFUL 4414 0 4415
186 * HAYSTAK zzzzzzVELLI 4390 999 81 4473
187 SCOTT*JILL JILL SCOTT COLLABORATIONS 4374 -18 5341 121461
188 CALE/CLAPTON ROAD TO ESCONDIDO 4371 -2 4462 459210
189 CASTING CROWNS LIFESONG 4355 -5 4582 404786
190 PAPA ROACH PARAMOUR SESSIONS 4326 13 3843 181688
191 NEWSBOYS GO 4311 5 4121 56251
192 JONES*JIM HUSTLER'S P.O.M.E. (PRODUCT 4309 -8 4697 366041
193 ENGVALL*BILL 15' OFF COOL 4293 -10 4774 24237
194 THREE WOODEN CROSSES THREE WOODEN CROSSES 4254 -11 4776 225107
195 * BBT VOL. 2-BBT 4148 999 35 4183
196 * LOW DRUMS & GUNS 4126 999 141 4273
197 TAMIA BETWEEN FRIENDS 4115 -3 4225 127766
198 MUSE BLACK HOLES AND REVELATIONS 4079 2 3988 287593
199 WALK THE LINE SOUNDTRACK 4079 -2 4167 1237685
200 PETER BJORN & JOHN WRITERS BLOCK 4067 10 3708 27734
Snoop1971
Groupie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007

Postby jszmiles » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:58 pm

woo for Tracey - she made it!!
User avatar
jszmiles
Legend
 
Posts: 39467
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004
Location: Radom / Warsaw [POLAND]

Postby pianoman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:01 pm

joao wrote:
pianoman wrote:What's so exciting about P!nk doing well in the U.S.? I doubt it will do as well as Cascada's "Every Time We Touch," which in my opinion was much catchier and got over a million downloads, but in the end did little to affect dance's overall popularity in the U.S. I guess P!nk's popularity represents progress for that genre, but it's still not much to get excited about.
What´s the connection between Pink and Cascada? Pink is not doing anything different then Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, and others, it´s not about the genre itself, it´s about the fact her new album project was dead over there and now it seems to have new life 1 year after its release, which is very rare.
Gotcha. I concede.
pianoman
Groupie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007

Postby zago » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:07 pm

god bless Snoop
http://www.worldwidealbums.net/
Worldwide sales, Daily music news, music History
User avatar
zago
Superstar
 
Posts: 5569
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005
Location: Italy

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:50 pm

I notice that people for the most part realize that the Beyonce reissue is just around the corner and the album is dropping fast as is because most people with half a brain who want B. Day know to wait till the reissue with all the bonus tracks comes out next week
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby SeeForever » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Great another #1 for Akon :roll: I only liked Locked Up since then he released some real rubbish, lets hope Beyonce/Shakira climbs to #1 next week
RIP The Queen Of Disco
User avatar
SeeForever
Legend
 
Posts: 13932
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006
Location: West Midlands, England

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks, Snoop!
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 54844
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:15 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
joao wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
jszmiles wrote:Akon no. 1 that must be a joke, please BR tell me that you were only guessing...
It is not a just, #1 in the Airplay chart, #3 in the download one...

Five songs over 100k in a normal week is just amazing, downloads still climbing hugely week after week, how many time will we wait until the first 10 million downloads song ?

The first 3m song in the US will occur surely within' a year, songs can be achieves 4m downloads in Japan alone, adding all other countries... The potential market of downloads is much bigger than the physical one.

Everybody is talking about the music industry dying, it is for sure here best time ever, we only have to wait until the end of the change of support (CD > DL) to see massive sellers again, maybe stronger than ever.
But doesn´t an artist has to sell 10 downloads to make the profit of just one album sold??? So it´s better to have a #50 album selling 15,000 copies then to have a Top 3 download song selling 100,000 copies. If the market of physical albums continues to decrease from 10 to 20% each year, not doubt it´s gonna die... And downloads won´t keep increasing crazily like this forever. It´s a new market (less then 5 years) and the tendence is to stabilize.
The album market is dying just like the single one 5 years ago, the album market will recover thanks to downloads just like the single one has recover thanks to downloads. We have only to wait, between 2 'eras' of supports, people always talk about the music industry dying, they have done it in early 80's with the death of vinyls, 15 years later CD sales were miles higher than any vinyls' sales.
I wouldn't necessarily say the album market is dead as much as there are no "it" artists right now. In the 80's, we had MJ, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Guns N Roses and others, in the 90's we had Garth, Nirvana, Mariah, Pearl Jam, Shania, Alanis and a few others, a few years back we had Britney, Eminem, N'Sync and Usher.... right now there really isn't one superstar that dominates like the others did in their peak. I think Beyonce and Justin are probably the two artists with the biggest "star power" right now, but even their albums (both of which are smash hits in today's climate) aren't selling near what they did when they were in N'Sync and Destiny's Child, although I guess they're holding up well enough that I think the label is fine (especially since Justin isn't too far from outselling Justified, which was a successful album and came out at a time where record sales were quite a bit higher). Even with Nickelback and Carrie who are selling exceptionally well right now, they aren't exactly "icons" in terms of being recognizable superstars that anyone in America could tell you who they are.

I blame MTV/VH1's lack of interest in the music as part of what is hurting record sales, much far worse than downloading. All you have to do is look at 2000 when MTV still played music somewhat, Napster was the music story of the year, but yet N'Sync and Eminem released albums that year that topped 10 million scans in the US alone, because MTV actually played the hell out of their videos. Now YouTube is pretty much the place to watch music videos, and the industry hates that because they'd rather spend money on videos that nobody will see.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby seattleboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:26 pm

joao wrote:You mean, by Pink´s producers and composers...
No P!nk actually co-writes all her music.
User avatar
seattleboy
Manager
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004
Location: US

Postby MJDangerous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:48 pm

NothingFails wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say the album market is dead as much as there are no "it" artists right now. In the 80's, we had MJ, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Guns N Roses and others, in the 90's we had Garth, Nirvana, Mariah, Pearl Jam, Shania, Alanis and a few others, a few years back we had Britney, Eminem, N'Sync and Usher.... right now there really isn't one superstar that dominates like the others did in their peak.
Really ?! Eminem in 3 years has outsold Pearl Jam in 15! Just like he outsold Shania & Alanis, if he is not a superstar that dominates like the others I don't know what he is. Look, you speak about Guns N' Roses as icons of the 80's, but check numbers, their album Appetite For Destruction sold LESS in his promotion campaign time than Green Day's American Idiot for example!

Opinions about old sales are very often misleading by catalog sales. Last week someone was talking me how huge sales were in the 70's and early 80's taking as examples Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller. Thriller is an unique case, none other album has perform as this album, it was released in a DEAD market, Dark Side sold less in his first 2 years than Back To Bedlam!

To do such comparaisons, you have to 'cut' catalog sales to see if really sales were bigger before and the fact is that they weren't. Now, all albums successful in both Europe and USA sold over 10m worldwide, this was not necessarly true even in the 80's.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
User avatar
MJDangerous
Legend
 
Posts: 11969
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004
Location: France

Postby wellthon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:55 pm

P!nk is disturbing you??

Thats is you problem

Cascada is soo good, but pink is so diferent, isnt?

I think some people are disturbing with pink in top 20, the Fans of aguilera?

U+Ur Hand is a rock'll roll with pop, pink is a genious! Shes a good WRITER! Shes make musics to Hilary Duff and other bands,

The music I'm not dead of Im not dead album is a exemple she is a GOOD WRITE!

go go P!NK

SUCESS with U+UR HAND!!!

U+UR HAND dont have PROMOTION in USA

in next week pink is make promotion with the LABEL!

WHO KNEW have a promotion last Week in Todays Shows on ABC TV!

In april pink going to make promotions of U+UR HAND in AMERICAN IDOL and ELLEN!

and the LABEL make promotions on TV from Who Knew and U+UR HAND

The BMG USA remeber from pink, before they just think in aguilera

aguilera and pink are so goood!

but I prefer PINK!
Yout got get up and Try...
User avatar
wellthon
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
NothingFails wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say the album market is dead as much as there are no "it" artists right now. In the 80's, we had MJ, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Guns N Roses and others, in the 90's we had Garth, Nirvana, Mariah, Pearl Jam, Shania, Alanis and a few others, a few years back we had Britney, Eminem, N'Sync and Usher.... right now there really isn't one superstar that dominates like the others did in their peak.
Really ?! Eminem in 3 years has outsold Pearl Jam in 15! Just like he outsold Shania & Alanis, if he is not a superstar that dominates like the others I don't know what he is. Look, you speak about Guns N' Roses as icons of the 80's, but check numbers, their album Appetite For Destruction sold LESS in his promotion campaign time than Green Day's American Idiot for example!

Opinions about old sales are very often misleading by catalog sales. Last week someone was talking me how huge sales were in the 70's and early 80's taking as examples Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller. Thriller is an unique case, none other album has perform as this album, it was released in a DEAD market, Dark Side sold less in his first 2 years than Back To Bedlam!

To do such comparaisons, you have to 'cut' catalog sales to see if really sales were bigger before and the fact is that they weren't. Now, all albums successful in both Europe and USA sold over 10m worldwide, this was not necessarly true even in the 80's.
I listed Eminem as a superstar/icon of the early 00's, which in fact he was. He's "retired" now and his last studio album didn't quite dominate the way his earlier albums did, that and the retirement (tho I doubt he'll retire any longer than Celine did) is why I won't consider him a current icon.

I dunno what Appetite was where you live, but I was in grade school in 1988-1989 when that album was big, and I must say it was massive. You frankly weren't cool if you didn't own a copy of that album and GNR were probably the most talked about artist on school-grounds I knew of since Michael Jackson during Thriller. Appetite is one of the biggest selling debut albums of all time and has continued to sell incredibly well (almost 5 million in the Soundscan age), just look at the chart run of the album, it was bigger than Green Day's American Idiot was. Appetite is definately a defining 80's album.

Pearl Jam weren't "it" for all of the 90's (I didn't say they ruled the whole decade, I was just using them as an example of a band that at one point were the "it" superstar act, which they were in 92-93) but Ten was incredibly successful and Vs. set first-week records at the time it came out. Pearl Jam walked away from MTV when their second album hit and they ended up losing much of their audience with each successive album until a few years ago when I think they've reached a typical "all PJ fans buy this" level that they've stayed at the past few albums, but don't forget just how phenomenally popular they were at the height of the grunge movement, they were outselling Nirvana.

I still stand by my opinion that right now we don't have any "it" superstars in the music biz like we have had in years gone by. Justin and Beyonce are the closest we have.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Appetite For Destruction RIAA:

Gold 2/88
1xp 2/88
2xp 7/88
3xp 8/88
4xp 9/88
5xp 10/88
6xp 12/88
7xp 2/89
8xp 7/89

9xp came in 1993.

AFD did not sell less than American Idiot when it was being promoted.
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 54844
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby flatdeejay » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm

NothingFails wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
NothingFails wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say the album market is dead as much as there are no "it" artists right now. In the 80's, we had MJ, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Guns N Roses and others, in the 90's we had Garth, Nirvana, Mariah, Pearl Jam, Shania, Alanis and a few others, a few years back we had Britney, Eminem, N'Sync and Usher.... right now there really isn't one superstar that dominates like the others did in their peak.
Really ?! Eminem in 3 years has outsold Pearl Jam in 15! Just like he outsold Shania & Alanis, if he is not a superstar that dominates like the others I don't know what he is. Look, you speak about Guns N' Roses as icons of the 80's, but check numbers, their album Appetite For Destruction sold LESS in his promotion campaign time than Green Day's American Idiot for example!

Opinions about old sales are very often misleading by catalog sales. Last week someone was talking me how huge sales were in the 70's and early 80's taking as examples Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller. Thriller is an unique case, none other album has perform as this album, it was released in a DEAD market, Dark Side sold less in his first 2 years than Back To Bedlam!

To do such comparaisons, you have to 'cut' catalog sales to see if really sales were bigger before and the fact is that they weren't. Now, all albums successful in both Europe and USA sold over 10m worldwide, this was not necessarly true even in the 80's.
I listed Eminem as a superstar/icon of the early 00's, which in fact he was. He's "retired" now and his last studio album didn't quite dominate the way his earlier albums did, that and the retirement (tho I doubt he'll retire any longer than Celine did) is why I won't consider him a current icon.

I dunno what Appetite was where you live, but I was in grade school in 1988-1989 when that album was big, and I must say it was massive. You frankly weren't cool if you didn't own a copy of that album and GNR were probably the most talked about artist on school-grounds I knew of since Michael Jackson during Thriller. Appetite is one of the biggest selling debut albums of all time and has continued to sell incredibly well (almost 5 million in the Soundscan age), just look at the chart run of the album, it was bigger than Green Day's American Idiot was. Appetite is definately a defining 80's album.

Pearl Jam weren't "it" for all of the 90's (I didn't say they ruled the whole decade, I was just using them as an example of a band that at one point were the "it" superstar act, which they were in 92-93) but Ten was incredibly successful and Vs. set first-week records at the time it came out. Pearl Jam walked away from MTV when their second album hit and they ended up losing much of their audience with each successive album until a few years ago when I think they've reached a typical "all PJ fans buy this" level that they've stayed at the past few albums, but don't forget just how phenomenally popular they were at the height of the grunge movement, they were outselling Nirvana.

I still stand by my opinion that right now we don't have any "it" superstars in the music biz like we have had in years gone by. Justin and Beyonce are the closest we have.
Hey NothingFails, I totally agree with you! I think MJDangerous is too young to remember the 80s or 90s music climate :P
User avatar
flatdeejay
Manager
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003
Location: flatland

Postby AutomaticBR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Billboard 200 added
User avatar
AutomaticBR
Legend
 
Posts: 12788
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004
Location: Brasil

Postby MJDangerous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:05 pm

thebigham wrote:Appetite For Destruction RIAA:

Gold 2/88
1xp 2/88
2xp 7/88
3xp 8/88
4xp 9/88
5xp 10/88
6xp 12/88
7xp 2/89
8xp 7/89

9xp came in 1993.

AFD did not sell less than American Idiot when it was being promoted.
Obviously WRONG :wink:

In USA, of course it is true - We all know this. But in an worldwide basis, AFD was not at all a big album, it is now thanks to massive catalog sales (I own it myself). The album has not even charted in several European countries, in their respective 2 first years, American Idiot outsold AFD, USA is not the world guys :)
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
User avatar
MJDangerous
Legend
 
Posts: 11969
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004
Location: France

Postby joao » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 pm

NothingFails wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
NothingFails wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say the album market is dead as much as there are no "it" artists right now. In the 80's, we had MJ, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Guns N Roses and others, in the 90's we had Garth, Nirvana, Mariah, Pearl Jam, Shania, Alanis and a few others, a few years back we had Britney, Eminem, N'Sync and Usher.... right now there really isn't one superstar that dominates like the others did in their peak.
Really ?! Eminem in 3 years has outsold Pearl Jam in 15! Just like he outsold Shania & Alanis, if he is not a superstar that dominates like the others I don't know what he is. Look, you speak about Guns N' Roses as icons of the 80's, but check numbers, their album Appetite For Destruction sold LESS in his promotion campaign time than Green Day's American Idiot for example!

Opinions about old sales are very often misleading by catalog sales. Last week someone was talking me how huge sales were in the 70's and early 80's taking as examples Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller. Thriller is an unique case, none other album has perform as this album, it was released in a DEAD market, Dark Side sold less in his first 2 years than Back To Bedlam!

To do such comparaisons, you have to 'cut' catalog sales to see if really sales were bigger before and the fact is that they weren't. Now, all albums successful in both Europe and USA sold over 10m worldwide, this was not necessarly true even in the 80's.
I listed Eminem as a superstar/icon of the early 00's, which in fact he was. He's "retired" now and his last studio album didn't quite dominate the way his earlier albums did, that and the retirement (tho I doubt he'll retire any longer than Celine did) is why I won't consider him a current icon.

I dunno what Appetite was where you live, but I was in grade school in 1988-1989 when that album was big, and I must say it was massive. You frankly weren't cool if you didn't own a copy of that album and GNR were probably the most talked about artist on school-grounds I knew of since Michael Jackson during Thriller. Appetite is one of the biggest selling debut albums of all time and has continued to sell incredibly well (almost 5 million in the Soundscan age), just look at the chart run of the album, it was bigger than Green Day's American Idiot was. Appetite is definately a defining 80's album.

Pearl Jam weren't "it" for all of the 90's (I didn't say they ruled the whole decade, I was just using them as an example of a band that at one point were the "it" superstar act, which they were in 92-93) but Ten was incredibly successful and Vs. set first-week records at the time it came out. Pearl Jam walked away from MTV when their second album hit and they ended up losing much of their audience with each successive album until a few years ago when I think they've reached a typical "all PJ fans buy this" level that they've stayed at the past few albums, but don't forget just how phenomenally popular they were at the height of the grunge movement, they were outselling Nirvana.

I still stand by my opinion that right now we don't have any "it" superstars in the music biz like we have had in years gone by. Justin and Beyonce are the closest we have.
I think you are very spot on your opinion, at least in the USA there are no "it" artists... Nobody who causes a commotion like the past icons you have mentioned. Such thing doesn´t happen in the UK, for example, where the physical albums market is more vibrant then EVER, which proves downloads aren´t really to be blamed. Downloads exist in UK just like in the USA, as far as I am concern.

Guns´n´roses were really an "it" band... because even tough they have all the airplay, mtv support, and huge sales, they actually WERE good, and they make up for their popularity, I mean, they could be as arrogant as Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg, but they were acutally making MUSIC which was groundbreaking. We don´t have ones like these anymore... Beyonce and Justin are not such mass apealing, they are satured and they only appeal to a specific public. To have a copy of a Beyonce or Justin record is not a requirement to be cool these days... In fact, many people who buy these artists hide it or even pretend is for a little sister.

So clearly the main factor to blame on the decline of the US market is the lack of interesting music... In UK, which is a country with much smaller population, there are many artists selling from 1 to 3 million copies of an album, which is equivalent to sell 4 to 12 million in USA. The market is vibrant like the USA market was in the late 90´s. They still produced stuff, Amy Winehouse, Snow Patrol, Artic Monkeys, etc... It´s still and interesting market to watch. It´s no like the USA were the next star is undoubtly going to be another effy r´n´b diva or a pimp rapper.
joao
Superstar
 
Posts: 5899
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004

Postby foxygraandpa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Good for akon, ciara, and lumidee. It's good that this akon single went to number 1, it's one of his best singles if you really get the message. As for ciara, at least it's top 40, i hope it keeps rising. Same for "she's like the wind" so lumidee can be a 2 hit wonder!
foxygraandpa
Manager
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:01 pm

The following albums have still not been certified:

#25 Gwen Stefani 1,027,875
#68 Pink 639,398
#88 Mary J Blige GH 643,410
#91 Snow Patrol 943,301
#110 U2 662,977
#120 The Game 893,532
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 54844
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:02 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
thebigham wrote:Appetite For Destruction RIAA:

Gold 2/88
1xp 2/88
2xp 7/88
3xp 8/88
4xp 9/88
5xp 10/88
6xp 12/88
7xp 2/89
8xp 7/89

9xp came in 1993.

AFD did not sell less than American Idiot when it was being promoted.
Obviously WRONG :wink:

In USA, of course it is true - We all know this. But in an worldwide basis, AFD was not at all a big album, it is now thanks to massive catalog sales (I own it myself). The album has not even charted in several European countries, in their respective 2 first years, American Idiot outsold AFD, USA is not the world guys :)
well, the USA is the place where album sales are suffering most of all, some "blockbuster" UK albums are actually selling more than blockbuster US albums are these days. That's the standpoint I was coming from when I was talking about how right now there are no music icon/superstars IN THE US compared to who we had in the 80's and 90's, and yes, I would consider GNR in that league if we're talking America.

In places like the UK and Australia, album sales are still impressive, in the US, they are probably the lowest they've been since the early 80's before Thriller and MTV "rescued" the industry.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby VincentHanna » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 pm

chartsam wrote:we can say safely, that digital downloads are better business for music industry than single sales were in 90s.
I've heard that the labels barely make any money at $1 a song on Itunes and co.
Singles sales are up, that's a fact (that doesn't seem to help albums sales by the way), my point is just that the money isn't going into CDs and isn't going into record label pockets, and so the music industry is dying. Is it a bad thing ? I don't know, some people think that artists can do without records labels...
All I know is that music to me means ALBUMS and not ringtones or whatever. Now that's me, most people are happy with singles...
VincentHanna
Groupie
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007
Location: in da club

Postby VincentHanna » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm

MJDangerous wrote:You are HIGHLY wrong. Any album from the 60's sold nowhere near to 5m : Of course some Beatles' albums have done it, but with 40 years of catalogue sales! You can't even think to compare one year sales with 44 years sales.
come on, you really think that the early Beatles or Monkees albums sold 5 mil in the 70s and the 80s ? :roll:
I'm not saying that global albums sales were higher at the time, I just think that it's a good indication of what is maybe the end of an era, let's call it the "album era" (1964-200. ?)
VincentHanna
Groupie
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007
Location: in da club

Postby MJDangerous » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:00 pm

VincentHanna wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:You are HIGHLY wrong. Any album from the 60's sold nowhere near to 5m : Of course some Beatles' albums have done it, but with 40 years of catalogue sales! You can't even think to compare one year sales with 44 years sales.
come on, you really think that the early Beatles or Monkees albums sold 5 mil in the 70s and the 80s ? :roll:
I'm not saying that global albums sales were higher at the time, I just think that it's a good indication of what is maybe the end of an era, let's call it the "album era" (1964-200. ?)
YES they sold most of their sales in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. For example, Rubber Soul released in 1969 has a shipment of 12m copies, his soundscan sales are over 3.7 millions! Without even counting sales from the 70's and the 80's. Even the poorest Beatles studio albums have scanned over 1m according to Soundscan. Most of their sales are catalog sales, again, sales were rather poor back in the 60's. Just before the 60's, Harry Belafonte's Calypso was the first album to hit the million in the US, to this it has scored 31 weeks at #1 and 2 years of massive success! Don't even try to put those sales in the same range or in the same era as sales nowadays.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
User avatar
MJDangerous
Legend
 
Posts: 11969
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004
Location: France

Return to Chart Analysis