CZB's Chart, November - 2018 (Month 470) and 1981 (Month 28)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CZB » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I wrote:...guaranteed her fourteenth hit in July is a 42-year-old singer...born in Melbourne, Australia. Her first success was "I Should Be So Lucky” in 1988...
And 1988 becomes the randomly-chosen year for this month's trip down memory lane. Today, I went on a six-hour journey back in time to listen again to my top hundred of twenty-two years ago - well, apart from those that are now too obscure to appear anywhere on YouTube! At the start, I was beginning to wonder if all of the available tracks would actually fit into six hours - as the bottom three (all in regular, non-extended versions), took fifteen minutes! But, later on, there were nine missing tracks, for which I haven't been able to provide links below - so it turned out that I was able to include extended versions by the London Boys and the aforementioned Kylie Minogue.

As with the other yearly charts I have posted, this is meant to encompass tracks originally recorded/released in the year - even if they were not official singles until 1989 or later. So if anyone spots anything that should have gone into an earlier year, do let me know! While preparing the list, I discovered two tracks I had always placed in 1988, but which should really have been in 1987 - so they have been moved, and will appear whenever that comes up as the mid-month selected year. (Those weren't, incidentally, Kylie's 1988 UK hits "I Should Be So Lucky" and "Locomotion" - which I have always included in 1987, when they were originally released in Australia)

So what of 1988? I was working hard, but had at least (only just!) completed my studies, thankfully discovering quite early in the year that I would never ever have to sit another exam.....and I was listening regularly to the radio broadcasts of the Europarade, and the chart shows of three or four of its component countries - UK, Ireland, the Netherlands and (whenever possible) Germany. So most of the tracks here appeared in at least one of those charts - while, as always, several came from the Eurovision Song Contest or other television programmes. I seem to have been a bit closer to the tastes of the British public in the late 1980's than at other times - nine of the nineteen UK number ones of 1988 made it into my monthly chart too.

Here, then, is the complete countdown of my favourites from 1988:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP FORTY OF 1988 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
01 01 10 TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY Tanita Tikaram
02 01 09 HIJO DE LA LUNA Mecano
03 02 10 NUIT DE FOLIE Debut De Soiree
04 01 10 WE CHEER YOU UP Barbarella
05 01 11 I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU Samantha Fox
06 02 07 SOKRATES Beathoven
07 05 10 SAMSTAG NACHT Nicki
08 05 09 EL CORDOBES BZN
09 09 10 THE WAY TO YOUR HEART Soulsister
10 10 10 BRING ME EDELWEISS Edelweiss

11 04 07 GOT TO BE CERTAIN Kylie Minogue
12 04 07 HAND IN HAND Koreana
13 05 07 I'M NOT SCARED / J'AI PAS PEUR Eighth Wonder
14 07 07 WHO'S LEAVING WHO? Hazell Dean
15 05 07 REQUIEM The London Boys
16 01 08 GOOD TRADITION Tanita Tikaram
17 15 15 WINTER WONDERLAND Twiggy
18 02 09 UNE FEMME AVEC UNE FEMME / MUJER CONTRA MUJER Mecano
19 07 07 KOKOMO Beach Boys
20 10 11 WHEELS ON FIRE BZN

21 05 07 HANDLE WITH CARE Traveling Wilburys
22 05 06 GIRL I'M GONNA MISS YOU Milli Vanilli
23 13 08 I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT Everything But The Girl
24 03 07 LEAVING NANCY The Dubliners
25 06 07 LA VIE LA NUIT Debut De Soiree
26 06 08 WHERE IS YOUR HEART? BZN
27 14 06 I BEG YOUR PARDON Kon Kan
28 17 11 THE BONEY M MEGAMIX Boney M
29 05 06 LIED FUR EINEN FREUND Maxi and Chris Garden
30 07 07 FIND MY LOVE Fairground Attraction

31 08 06 BURNING BRIDGES Status Quo
32 08 05 ETERNAL FLAME The Bangles
33 12 06 TWO'S COMPANY Daniel O'Donnell and Margo
34 12 06 PANOPTICON EIGHT REGENERATION MIX Mark Ayres
35 22 07 ADIEU CHERIE Anny Schilder
36 08 08 ALL OF ME Sabrina
37 14 05 GOODBYE FAREWELL Anny Schilder
38 21 08 PERFECT / FOIRFE Fairground Attraction
39 08 05 DOCTORIN' THE TARDIS The Timelords
40 05 05 SOMETHING'S GOTTEN HOLD OF MY HEART Marc Almond and Gene Pitney
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And these were ALL the other 1988 tracks that reached my monthly charts:
41 09 05 CATHEDRAL SONG Tanita Tikaram
42 20 06 TURN IT INTO LOVE Kylie Minogue
43 11 04 LOVE, TRUTH AND HONESTY Bananarama
44 21 06 RADIO ROMANCE Tiffany
45 14 04 JOHN KETTLEY IS A WEATHERMAN A Tribe of Toffs
46 18 05 THE ONLY WAY IS UP Yazz and the Plastic Population
47 14 04 SUCCESS Sigue Sigue Sputnik
48 24 06 ACROSS THE UNIVERSE Laibach
49 19 05 GIVE ME MORE TIME Susan McCann
50 25 05 I WANT YOU BACK Bananarama

51 17 06 MY LOVE Julio Iglesias featuring Stevie Wonder
52 22 05 AMOR DE MIS AMORES Paco
53 40 12 FIRST TIME Robin Beck
54 31 07 WILD WORLD Maxi Priest
55 28 06 NOTHING CAN DIVIDE US Jason Donovan
56 19 04 YOU ARE THE ONE Aha
57 20 04 BEN-ADAM / SON OF MAN Yardena Arazi
58 23 05 BACK SEAT OF YOUR CADILLAC C-C-Catch
59 28 05 LA PRIMAVERA BZN
60 29 05 POOR MAN'S DREAM The Fureys and Davey Arthur

61 25 04 LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES Pet Shop Boys
62 26 06 ONE MOMENT IN TIME Whitney Houston
63 29 04 PEOPLE LIKE YOU Melody and the Simon May Orchestra
64 36 05 TURN IT INTO LOVE Hazell Dean
65 32 03 J'AI FAIM DE TOI Sandy Stevens
66 32 03 KANN DENN SCHWACHSINN SüNDE SEIN Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung
67 43 05 GO Scott Fitzgerald
68 34 03 SILVER BIRD Audrey Landers
69 45 08 GIVE A LITTLE LOVE Aswad
70 39 03 NE PARTEZ PAS SANS MOI / HAND IN HAND Celine Dion

71 42 03 DU RHUM DES FEMMES Soldat Louie
72 38 02 MAYBE (WE SHOULD CALL IT A DAY) Hazell Dean
73 46 02 CHICA CUBANA Tatjana
74 47 03 I DON'T BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Sinitta
75 39 03 DON'T CRY FOR LOUIE Vaya Con Dios
76 45 03 GELUKKIG KERSTFEEST Artiesten Voor't Ronald McDonald Huis
77 49 03 AN DER COPACABANA Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung
78 43 01 HEAVEN CAN WAIT Sandra

79 46 02 JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI Kylie Minogue
80 46 02 LOVING YOU, LOVING ME Koreana
81 48 01 (CARMEN) DANGER IN HER EYES Deborah Sasson and MCL
82 50 02 ORINOCO FLOW Enya
83 44 01 CHRISTMAS DANCE Santa und Claus
84 46 01 SHOTGUN Selena
85 48 01 DANGEROUS Roxette
86 50 01 STOP Sam Brown
Finally, to bring the total up to 100, the breakers that came closest to the chart:
87 65 ---- JUST FOR YOU Mixed Emotions
88 72 ---- YOU CAME Kim Wilde
89 73 ---- OICHE CHUIN Enya
90 93 ---- IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER Diana Ross
91 -------- YOU'RE MY ONE AND ONLY / VIDA DE MI VIDA Jennifer Rush
92 -------- STRAIGHT FROM YOUR HEART Bonnie Bianco
93 -------- BAMBOLEO Gypsy Kings

94 -------- STOP Erasure
95 -------- HIGH WINDOWS Camino
96 -------- ANYTHING FOR YOU Grant and Forsyth
97 -------- MOLLY MALONE Band of Dubs
98 -------- DAS PHANTOM DER OPER Alexander Göbel and Luzia Nistler
99 -------- FLIGHT OF EARLS Paddy Reilly
100 ------ THE RACE Yello

[ Edited on 24th January 2011 to move PERFECT Fairground Attraction up ten places to reflect the additional points scored from its re-entry - and to remove DON'T GO Hothouse Flowers, which should go into 1987 instead! ]
Last edited by CZB on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CZB
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Another fantastic stroll down memory lane!

Tanita Tikaram's "Twist In My Sobriety" is one of my favourite tracks from the 80s, and a worthy Number 1. I also liked "Good Tradition", but it doesn't come close to Sobriety.

I'm not very familiar with Mecano's songs, though I have gotten to know them in the last few years through some Spanish colleagues. That said, I can't be sure though if I've heard Hijo De La Luna or Une Femme Avec Une Femme before - both nice tracks.

Barbarella is a new one to me - not a bad song either!

I found the music video for The Way To Your Heart - I've not heard that song in so, so long! It got to Number 16 in Ireland in 1989 but seems to have bombed totally in the UK!

I'm fairly sure I never heard Koreana's "Hand In Hand" - it was all "One Moment In Time" in Ireland as I recall!

Hazell Dean - OMG! Not heard that in years! Brought a big smile to my face.

I really liked The London Boys at the time, though none of their singles ever made my year-end charts. I found the video for Requiem and can't help but be reminded now on looking back (by the hats and braces ensemble, and the dance moves) of Mel & Kim in their Respectable video

I know Kylie's "Turn It Into Love" very well, but as it wasn't a single in these parts of the world (or was it?) it wouldn't have charted with me. I think I prefer Hazell Dean's version.

I had to laugh to see Daniel & Margo, and Susan McCann in there!!!

I didn't know Sandra at the time, but I've since got up to speed on her back catalogue, and I think "Heaven Can Wait" is a great track.

I love Enya's Oíche Chiúin - which was, I think, the B-side of Evening Falls, my #12 for the year.

I was surprised to see Diana Ross' "If We Hold On Together" in 1988 - I had no idea that it had first surfaced in a movie 4 years before it became a UK hit!

Bamboleo - not heard it in years! That used to get a lot of airplay in Ireland!

Incidentally, Hothouse Flowers' "Don't Go" should be attributed to 1987. It spent a single week at #2 in Ireland in October of that year, and re-entered twice in 1988, in January, and again in May (thanks to its use as the interval act during the Eurovision Song Contest) when it reached the Top 10 for a second time, doing better than the first time by spending 2 weeks at #2.

There's much less overlap between your Top 100 and mine (and I've included some of the original videos where you hadn't) than the last time I ran a comparison - those songs are listed here with my ranking shown:

09 Tanita Tikaram - Twist In My Sobriety
10 A-ha - You Are The One
13 Yazz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up (FANTASTIC track! Why has no-one covered this?)
20 Enya - Orinoco Flow
24 Robin Beck - First Time
26 Fairground Attraction - Perfect (I'd never heard the Irish version before!)
27 Everything But The Girl - I Don't Want To Talk About It
32 Eighth Wonder - I'm Not Scared
38 Erasure - Stop! (Crackers International EP)
39 Kylie Minogue - Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
40 Sinitta - I Don't Believe In Miracles (her best track, I think)
44 Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time
49 Edelweiss - Bring Me Edelweiss
60 Kim Wilde - You Came
69 Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon (I remember seeing this video on TOTP)
75 Gene Pitney and Marc Almond - Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
76 Kylie Minogue - Got To Be Certain
79 The Bangles - Eternal Flame
89 The Hothouse Flowers - Don't Go (my #37 of 1987)
99 Maxi Priest - Wild World

And from other years

1989: 76 Sam Brown - Stop
1990: 38 Roxette - Dangerous (Double A Side - with Listen To Your Heart)

My number 1 of 1988 was Inner City's "Good Life".
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Many thanks for all the comments! :D

irishguy28 wrote:Barbarella is a new one to me - not a bad song either!

Top three Holland, top ten Belgium, but no success anywhere else.....I'm not sure it was even released in any other countries. However, the video became frequently featured on the Lifestyle Satellite Jukebox in the early 1990's.

irishguy28 wrote:I found the music video for The Way To Your Heart - I've not heard that song in so, so long! It got to Number 16 in Ireland in 1989 but seems to have bombed totally in the UK!
Although it spent five weeks in Ireland's Top 30, incredibly it fell just short of becoming an official hit in the UK for ten weeks ( 89-84-86-87-88-81-82-85-92-99 ). I recall that at least half a verse was chopped out of the UK release - probably in Ireland too.

irishguy28 wrote:I'm fairly sure I never heard Koreana's "Hand In Hand" - it was all "One Moment In Time" in Ireland as I recall!
I'm not sure if that ever got a UK / Ireland release - maybe not, although it would probably have been seen/heard performed in television coverage of the Seoul Olympics. Its sales success seems to have been limited to the German-speaking countries and Scandinavia.

irishguy28 wrote:I know Kylie's "Turn It Into Love" very well, but as it wasn't a single in these parts of the world (or was it?) it wouldn't have charted with me. I think I prefer Hazell Dean's version.
No - I think this was a Japan-only single - and apparently sold extremely well there! I remember that the 7" single of this one was very expensive.

irishguy28 wrote:I had to laugh to see Daniel & Margo, and Susan McCann in there!!!
I was a little surprised that, for such a (later) well-known artist as Daniel O'Donnell, this track isn't on YouTube. However, it was a difficult one to track down on CD - eventually I got it on one of Margo's albums instead. You probably know - although many maybe don't! - that she is his sister.

irishguy28 wrote:Incidentally, Hothouse Flowers' "Don't Go" should be attributed to 1987. It spent a single week at #2 in Ireland in October of that year, and re-entered twice in 1988, in January, and again in May (thanks to its use as the interval act during the Eurovision Song Contest) when it reached the Top 10 for a second time, doing better than the first time by spending 2 weeks at #2.
Aaaargh!!! You're quite right.....how could that have ended up in the wrong year?! I must have bought the UK-release single after the Eurovision Song Contest, and it must have been dated 1988. Although I would have remembered its earlier appearance in the Irish chart, I must have assumed - carelessly, without checking! - that the first run had been earlier in 1988. But it was a few months earlier - October/November 1987.

I will move this into 1987 in due course, whenever I cover that year in full - but, for the moment, I'll leave the posting as it is. This is partly to retain the link to what I thought was an excellent extended version of it (maybe similar to its length as that Eurovision interval act? I'll have to track down my recording of that contest, and check!) - but also because 1988 may later need a further amendment, for another reason:

irishguy28 wrote:There's much less overlap between your Top 100 and mine (and I've included some of the original videos where you hadn't) than the last time I ran a comparison - those songs are listed here with my ranking shown:

26 Fairground Attraction - Perfect (I'd never heard the Irish version before!)
And I hadn't either, until the last few months - in which it has been a regular filler in the commercial-free breaks on the Top 40 Oifigiúil na hÉireann programme on Raidió Rí Rá. But now that I have managed to get a CD containing it (and, incidentally, some of their other regular fillers!) it's going to return to the breakers this month, and could quite possibly get back into my monthly top forty - in which event it will rise in the annual list due to the additional points scored!

irishguy28 wrote:13 Yazz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up (FANTASTIC track! Why has no-one covered this?)
I did buy a 1999 (?) Almighty Records cover version of this, credited to the Kinky Boyz, cheaply at a record fair - but it wasn't particularly good.

irishguy28 wrote:And from other years

1989: 76 Sam Brown - Stop
And, despite her being a UK act, this was another one that charted in continental Europe long before making it in the UK and Ireland!
CZB
Legend

Postby Marius » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Around 20 I don't know there, but I like these:

01 01 10 TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY Tanita Tikaram
02 01 09 HIJO DE LA LUNA Mecano
03 02 10 NUIT DE FOLIE Debut De Soiree
04 01 10 WE CHEER YOU UP Barbarella
09 09 10 THE WAY TO YOUR HEART Soulsister

13 05 07 I'M NOT SCARED / J'AI PAS PEUR Eighth Wonder
15 05 07 REQUIEM The London Boys

21 05 07 HANDLE WITH CARE Traveling Wilburys
22 05 06 GIRL I'M GONNA MISS YOU Milli Vanilli
28 17 11 THE BONEY M MEGAMIX Boney M

31 08 06 BURNING BRIDGES Status Quo
38 19 08 DON'T GO Hothouse Flowers
39 08 05 DOCTORIN' THE TARDIS The Timelords
40 05 05 SOMETHING'S GOTTEN HOLD OF MY HEART Marc Almond and Gene Pitney

46 18 05 THE ONLY WAY IS UP Yazz and the Plastic Population
51 25 05 I WANT YOU BACK Bananarama
53 22 05 AMOR DE MIS AMORES Paco
54 40 12 FIRST TIME Robin Beck
57 19 04 YOU ARE THE ONE Aha
62 25 04 LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES Pet Shop Boys
63 26 06 ONE MOMENT IN TIME Whitney Houston
76 39 03 DON'T CRY FOR LOUIE Vaya Con Dios
80 46 02 JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI Kylie Minogue
83 50 02 ORINOCO FLOW Enya
86 48 01 DANGEROUS Roxette
87 50 01 STOP Sam Brown
88 65 ---- JUST FOR YOU Mixed Emotions
89 72 ---- YOU CAME Kim Wilde
94 -------- BAMBOLEO Gypsy Kings
95 -------- STOP Erasure

LOL at Edelweiss in the top 10, though. Never really cared for Mecano's huge French #1 (two years later though) or for the two ESC entries.

Good to know I won't be the only one voting most of these in the Retro Charts, assuming Dustin carries on for 8 more years!

Oh and the French title of the Eighth Scared song seems wrong, should it not be Je n'ai pas du peur?
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:20 am

CZB wrote:I was a little surprised that, for such a (later) well-known artist as Daniel O'Donnell, this track isn't on YouTube. However, it was a difficult one to track down on CD - eventually I got it on one of Margo's albums instead. You probably know - although many maybe don't! - that she is his sister.
There were many scurrilous rumours when Daniel first emerged into the spotlight that, despite the official line, Margo may not have been his sister. But that's all they were - nasty, evil rumours.

CZB wrote:(Hothouse Flowers) This is partly to retain the link to what I thought was an excellent extended version of it (maybe similar to its length as that Eurovision interval act? I'll have to track down my recording of that contest, and check!)
I may be wrong, but I think that "extended" version was played as the interval act - presumably with cuts to them performing on stage as well, I don't remember - but I do remember that, at the time, it was far-and-away the most lavish music video ever produced out of Ireland, being filmed in something like 10 or 12 European countries.

CZB wrote:
(Fairground Attraction) But now that I have managed to get a CD containing it (and, incidentally, some of their other regular fillers!) it's going to return to the breakers this month, and could quite possibly get back into my monthly top forty - in which event it will rise in the annual list due to the additional points scored!
Nice one! I did think it was probably from one of the Ceol series albums.

CZB wrote:(Yazz & The Plastic Population)

I did buy a 1999 (?) Almighty Records cover version of this, credited to the Kinky Boyz, cheaply at a record fair - but it wasn't particularly good.
Well - I'm not at all surprised that Almighty/Klone released a cover - but the fact that they apparently waited 11 years makes me suspect it was not even their first stab at a cover of that track! Those Almighty/Klone covers are nearly always really, really bad, so I wouldn't even count that. Though, with dance music's past having been plundered and cannibalised down through the years, it's surprising that no producer or remixer appears to have alighted on this track.

potojr wrote:Oh and the French title of the Eighth Scared song seems wrong, should it not be Je n'ai pas du peur?
Indeed, in textbook French that would be correct, but the "ne" frequently gets dropped in the spoken language or informal contexts. Also, the three syllable "J'ai pas peur" fits in to the song far better. :wink:

irishguy28

Postby Tiger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 am

CZB wrote:01 01 10 TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY Tanita Tikaram

23 13 08 I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT Everything But The Girl

And these were ALL the other 1988 tracks that reached my monthly charts:
57 19 04 YOU ARE THE ONE Aha
58 20 04 BEN-ADAM / SON OF MAN Yardena Arazi

62 25 04 LEFT TO MY OWN DEVICES Pet Shop Boys
63 26 06 ONE MOMENT IN TIME Whitney Houston

71 39 03 NE PARTEZ PAS SANS MOI / HAND IN HAND Celine Dion
80 46 02 JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI Kylie Minogue

83 50 02 ORINOCO FLOW Enya
86 48 01 DANGEROUS Roxette

89 72 ---- YOU CAME Kim Wilde[/b]
Lots of Tanita Tikaram songs there. And how is Céline Dion so low :( Lots of Kylie.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 pm

CZB wrote:And I hadn't either, until the last few months - in which it has been a regular filler in the commercial-free breaks on the Top 40 Oifigiúil na hÉireann programme on Raidió Rí Rá. But now that I have managed to get a CD containing it (and, incidentally, some of their other regular fillers!) it's going to return to the breakers this month, and could quite possibly get back into my monthly top forty - in which event it will rise in the annual list due to the additional points scored!
Más mian leat an t-amhrán sin a chanadh lei, tá na liricí ar fáil anseo:
If you'd like to sing the song along with her, the lyrics are available here:

Eddi Reader - Foirfe
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 pm

irishguy28 wrote:
Más mian leat an t-amhrán sin a chanadh lei, tá na liricí ar fáil anseo:
If you'd like to sing the song along with her, the lyrics are available here:
Thanks for that! I've saved a copy. :D

In my signature, I wrote:Chartbuster (July): ????????? "???? ????"
I've been thinking that, in recent months, my upcoming Records of the Month have been relatively easier to guess. While

Chartbuster (April): ??????? "?????"

may have been slightly more challenging,

Chartbuster (June): ????? ??????? "??? ??? ??????"

was probably more obvious. And as for.....

Chartbuster (May): ?????? ?????-?????? "???????????"

.....I don't suppose many who saw that wouldn't have worked out what was coming!

However, I have just done a search of the whole of UKmix, and discovered that the new Record of the Month I'll be revealing at the beginning of July seems to be one that almost
no-one else might have heard of. Indeed, the act's name has only ever been posted once in any of these forums - and that was by me, in my latest Europarade thread!

So, on the way is something new, different and unexpected.....of course, whether anybody else will like it remains to be seen!!!

CZB
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:37 am

CZB wrote:Chartbuster (July): ????????? "???? ????"
I'd never even realised that your Chartbuster sigs were a game...due to their colour I assumed they were links to said Chartbuster, and that you were merely being overenthusiastic with the use of the question mark (to draw curious viewers in). :oops:

Well, looks like July's chartbuster is some illicit cover of "Waka Waka" then!!!
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

irishguy28 wrote: I'd never even realised that your Chartbuster sigs were a game...due to their colour I assumed they were links to said Chartbuster, and that you were merely being overenthusiastic with the use of the question mark (to draw curious viewers in). :oops:
The signature is always a link to the most recent chart in this thread, wherein there is a YouTube link to the relevant Chartbuster.....and to (hopefully) everything else in the chart!
But the question-marks are usually up only for less than a day - from the point at which I decide what the new Chartbuster will be, until when I post the full new chart, and that's now usually within minutes of the new month beginning. I then fill in all the missing letters when updating the link.

However, this month I realised I was going to be busy with work pretty much all day today - so I prepared the new charts, and substantially drafted the new posting, in readiness for tonight, yesterday instead. That included my usual five hours of playing all the tracks from YouTube, copying and pasting/updating the links as necessary. ( And, incidentally, I think this must be the first time I have ever got through 72 tracks in the first four hours - with only the second vintage number one, the third and final play of the Chartbuster and the top twelve left for the final hour! There was ample time for a third vintage number one to be added in..... )

irishguy28 wrote:Well, looks like July's chartbuster is some illicit cover of "Waka Waka" then!!!
It didn't even occur to me that "Waka Waka" would fit the clue!!! :oops: :lol: No, it's nothing at all like that. All will become clear - in about eight and a half hours' time, hopefully.

CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 pm

It's midnight, UK time - welcome to the second half of 2010 (!), and here is my new chart:

CZB'S TOP FORTY ------------------- Month 371 --------------------- JULY 2010
01 01 03 LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE Bananarama
02 02 02 BITTERSWEET Sophie Ellis-Bextor ##
03 04 04 TELEPHONE Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce
04 ---- 01 ALEJANDRO (DON'T CALL MY NAME) Lady GaGa [Highest New Entry]
05 ---- 01 ALL THE LOVERS Kylie Minogue ##
06 15 02 I AM NOT A ROBOT Marina and the Diamonds
07 08 04 HOLLYWOOD Marina and the Diamonds
08 09 06 FIREFLIES Owl City
09 14 03 VANILLA TWILIGHT Owl City
10 07 04 STARRY EYED Ellie Goulding

11 13 03 GYPSY Shakira ##
12 11 04 A NIGHT LIKE THIS Caro Emerald ##
13 03 04 BETTER RUN Tocadisco featuring Nadia Ali
14 ---- 01 BUBBLE BATH The Swiss
15 06 05 WAITING Dash Berlin featuring Emma Hewitt ##
16 05 07 ON AND ON Agnes [Fastest Faller] ##
17 12 06 AZURE Paul Kalkbrenner
18 10 05 HELLO Jan Wayne
19 25 02 ALORS ON DANSE Stromae
20 19 07 I THINK I LIKE IT Fake Blood

21 26 03 DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL Paloma Faith
22 29 02 HAVEN'T MET YOU YET Michael Buble
23 16 07 BAD ROMANCE Lady GaGa
24 22 05 CHASING PIRATES Norah Jones
25 17 06 1000 DREAMS Miss Kittin And The Hacker
26 40 02 THE RAIN Peter Luts [Rapid Riser]
27 18 08 STEREO LOVE Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina ##
28 37 02 TRY SLEEPING WITH A BROKEN HEART Alicia Keys
29 20 06 LIFE'S TOO SHORT Ron Van Den Beuken vs Maarten de Jong
30 33 03 WALK THE LINE Laurent Wolf

31 21 07 GRRRR David Guetta
32 23 04 ETERNITY Guru Josh featuring DJ Igor Blaska
33 30 10 BRUISES Chairlift
34 24 05 22 Lily Allen
35 27 08 LEMON TREE Citrus Hill
36 ---- 01 THE RIDDLE Prezioso and Marvin
37 31 12 BACK TO THE 80'S Aqua ##
38 ---- 01 SWEET DISPOSITION Temper Trap
39 28 06 LOVE KEEPS CALLING AnnaGrace [Fastest Faller] ##
40 39 15 IT'S AMAZING Jem [Longest Laster] ##
TOP 40 BREAKERS:
01 [ 00 ] COME HOME Amatorski [Chartbuster] ##
02 [ 03 ] VOYAGE VOYAGE Bananarama
03 [ 05 ] WHO'D HAVE KNOWN Lily Allen
04 [ 04 ] QUICKSAND La Roux
05 [ 06 ] POISON PRINCE Amy MacDonald
06 [ 07 ] ESCAPE ME Tiesto featuring C.C. Sheffield
07 [ 09 ] NEVER CRY AGAIN Dash Berlin
08 [ 10 ] TAKE ON ME Topmodelz
09 [ 14 ] SOMETHING'S JUMPING IN YOUR SHIRT Malcolm McLaren and Lisa Marie
10 [ 15 ] I NEED YOU NOW Agnes

11 [ 11 ] DON'T TELL ME THAT IT'S OVER Amy MacDonald
12 [ 12 ] HOT Inna
13 [ 13 ] FEVER Cascada
14 [ 22 ] YOUR LOVE IS MY DRUG Ke$ha
15 [ 20 ] NATURALLY Selena Gomez and the Scene
16 [ 17 ] TIK TOK Ke$ha
17 [ 33 ] IF Y0U TOLERATE THIS Eric Chase
18 [ 21 ] LOVESONG Jes
19 [ 24 ] OUTTA HERE Esmee Denters
20 [ 00 ] FOIRFE / PERFECT Eddi Reader / Fairground Attraction

21 [ 00 ] AURORA Nova
22 [ 26 ] RUSSIAN ROULETTE Rihanna
23 [ 29 ] WINGS Das Pop
24 [ 00 ] FIRE WITH FIRE Scissor Sisters
25 [ 00 ] TOCHAILT UAIGHE GO RóLUATH Duke Special
26 [ 00 ] TURN THE TIDE Sylver
27 [ 34 ] NEED YOU NOW Lady Antebellum
28 [ 37 ] MISSING Jessy
29 [ 00 ] I WANNA Bob Sinclar and Sahara featuring Shaggy
30 [ 00 ] THIS IS MY LIFE Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina

31 [ 00 ] EVIDENT UTENSIL Chairlift
32 [ 00 ] LOVE Inna
33 [ 40 ] SPARK Amy MacDonald
34 [ 00 ] THAT MAN Caro Emerald
35 [ 39 ] HEY, SOUL SISTER Train
36 [ 38 ] NEVER BE YOUR WOMAN Wiley featuring Emeli Sande
37 [ 00 ] CALL ME Samantha Fox and Sabrina Salerno
38 [ 00 ] JANEIRO Dash Berlin featuring Solid Sessions
39 [ 00 ] BAD BOYS Alexandra Burke featuring Flo Rida
40 [ 00 ] WE NO SPEAK AMERICANO Yolanda Be Cool featuring D-Cup
Number one twelve years ago: LA PRIMAVERA Sash
Number one twenty-four years ago: BROTHER LOUIE Modern Talking
Number one twenty-nine years ago: CAN CAN Bad Manners

This month, there are only two non-movers in my top forty - and they’re right at the top, as “Bittersweet”, June’s highest new entry by Sophie Ellis-Bextor, narrowly fails to displace Bananarama’s “Love Don’t Live Here” from the number one spot. Among twelve climbers this time, Lady GaGa is back into the top three, along with a little help from Beyonce on “Telephone” - and also has the highest of five new entries, as her sixth hit, “Alejandro (Don’t Call My Name)”, crashes in at number four. Almost equally as strong a contender for next month’s number one, however, is Kylie Minogue - with June’s Chartbuster, “All The Lovers”, arriving at number five. At least one of these two new entries could also climb into the top five in the UK this week, where they have both just been released on CD single and on 7” vinyl. And, with two climbers each by Marina and the Diamonds and Owl City and a three-place faller by Ellie Goulding completing my top ten, it’s the first time since June 1994 that it has consisted entirely of tracks available on 7” single! It should probably be noted, however, that Ellie’s has added protuberances to make it star-shaped, and reflective of the title of the highest of twenty-one hits moving down this month. With an artist name entirely unreflective of reality, The Swiss are actually from Adelaide, Australia. They make an impressive ninety-eight place climb to enter my chart at number 14 with the instrumental “Bubble Bath” - while the Melbourne-based Temper Trap complete a trio of new entries from down under this month, as “Sweet Disposition” finally makes it at number 38, two places below a fifth hit for Italodance act Prezioso and Marvin. Their previous successes have all peaked between 23 and 27 - but perhaps they can improve on this with their version of “The Riddle”, which has already reached number eight for Nik Kershaw and number 16 for Gigi D’Agostino. Meanwhile, the Rapid Riser this month is “The Rain”, as Peter Luts races up fourteen places to number 26 - while two former Chartbusters share the more dubious honour of fastest faller. Agnes dives from number five to number 16 with “On And On”, and AnnaGrace plummets from 28 to 39 with “Love Keeps Calling”. And it’s another former Chartbuster that is the longest laster yet again - Jem clings on for a fifteenth, and surely last, appearance, as “It’s Amazing” slides one place to number 40.

Sylver return to the breakers with a release that is doing better in Belgium than some of their other recent work - a remake of their first success of ten years ago, “Turn The Tide” - while Eddi Reader and Fairground Attraction originally reached number 21 in my chart with their UK number one from 1988, “Perfect“. Its return to the breakers is largely due to a more recently-recorded Gaelic version, “Foirfe” - one of several tracks that have been regular fillers in commercial-free breaks during the Raidio RiRa broadcasts of “Ireland’s Official Top Forty” in the last few months. Another of these, which took much longer to identify, and which I still haven’t learned to correctly spell unaided, is “Tochailt Uaighe go Róluath” - which gives Duke Special their first breaker, one of thirteen new potential future hits this month. Two of the others are also older, as Chairlift are in with a chance of following up their recent number one “Bruises” with “Evident Utensil”. From the same 2008 album “Does You Inspire You”, this had originally been a single in 2007 - while “Aurora” by Nova was originally released way back in.....1981! I only discovered this instrumental for the first time this month, after hearing an extract from it in the Dutch top ten countdown of one of the weeks featured in Erik de Zwart’s “Pick of The Pops”-type programme on Radio Veronica, “Top 40 Hit Dossier”. Three acts with three former top forty hits may be about to add a fourth - Bob Sinclar is back with “I Wanna”, while Sabrina Salerno and Samantha Fox now join forces with their version of “Call Me”. With just one hit each so far, Dash Berlin, Caro Emerald, Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina and the Scissor Sisters could double their scores in the months ahead - while Inna remains in the breakers with “Hot”, and now adds another possible hit with “Love”. Three other new breakers are by acts impressing me for the first time - Alexandra Burke featuring Flo Rida went to number one in the UK in 2009 with “Bad Boys”, while Yolanda Be Cool featuring D-Cup could be on the way there this summer with “We No Speak Americano”. But the Chartbuster, guaranteed to enter my top forty in August, is a track from a recent EP, “Same Stars We Shared”, by the Belgian quartet consisting of Inne Eysermans, Sebastiaan Van den Branden, Hilke Ros and Christophe Claeys. They have reached the top ten in their homeland, and might hopefully enjoy success in other territories too, with my Record of the Month for July 2010 - “Come Home”, by Amatorski.

CZB
Legend

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:58 pm

CZB wrote:03 04 04 TELEPHONE Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce
04 ---- 01 ALEJANDRO (DON'T CALL MY NAME) Lady GaGa [Highest New Entry]
07 08 04 HOLLYWOOD Marina and the Diamonds
08 09 06 FIREFLIES Owl City
09 14 03 VANILLA TWILIGHT Owl City

11 13 03 GYPSY Shakira ##
16 05 07 ON AND ON Agnes [Fastest Faller] ##

21 26 03 DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL Paloma Faith
22 29 02 HAVEN'T MET YOU YET Michael Buble
23 16 07 BAD ROMANCE Lady GaGa
27 18 08 STEREO LOVE Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina ##
28 37 02 TRY SLEEPING WITH A BROKEN HEART Alicia Keys

34 24 05 22 Lily Allen
35 27 08 LEMON TREE Citrus Hill
37 31 12 BACK TO THE 80'S Aqua ##
38 ---- 01 SWEET DISPOSITION Temper Trap
40 39 15 IT'S AMAZING Jem [Longest Laster] ##
TOP 40 BREAKERS:
03 [ 05 ] WHO'D HAVE KNOWN Lily Allen
05 [ 06 ] POISON PRINCE Amy MacDonald
06 [ 07 ] ESCAPE ME Tiesto featuring C.C. Sheffield

11 [ 11 ] DON'T TELL ME THAT IT'S OVER Amy MacDonald
12 [ 12 ] HOT Inna
14 [ 22 ] YOUR LOVE IS MY DRUG Ke$ha
15 [ 20 ] NATURALLY Selena Gomez and the Scene
16 [ 17 ] TIK TOK Ke$ha
19 [ 24 ] OUTTA HERE Esmee Denters

22 [ 26 ] RUSSIAN ROULETTE Rihanna
24 [ 00 ] FIRE WITH FIRE Scissor Sisters
27 [ 34 ] NEED YOU NOW Lady Antebellum

31 [ 00 ] EVIDENT UTENSIL Chairlift
35 [ 39 ] HEY, SOUL SISTER Train
39 [ 00 ] BAD BOYS Alexandra Burke featuring Flo Rida
No idea how you can stand to do this monthly and how you didn't chart Rihanna yet :P

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Your two big new entries are brilliant - that Blondie massacre is not. :o I used to like Sabrina. :-?
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm surprised that Bananarama managed to hold on to their seat at the top of the table!

Great to see your highest new entry is Alejandro - I do think it's one of her best singles to date. I've yet to really warm to the new Kylie track, though.

And you've obviously been listening to too much Raidió Rí-Rá! Duke Special is a "he" rather than a "they", though - and looks somewhat like Tim Minchin!

irishguy28

Postby abi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Oh wow we're 'Telephone' lovers 8-)
abi
Legend

Postby CZB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

I wrote:And, with two climbers...and a three-place faller...completing my top ten, it’s the first time since June 1994 that it has consisted entirely of tracks available on 7” single!
So there is the randomly-chosen year for this month's six-hour trip back in time - and actually the most "genuinely" random one so far, as I drafted that sentence before checking back to discover when this had previously happened, hoping it would turn out to be a year I had not already covered.

What of 1994, then? I reached the age of thirty, and had started to receive additional Dutch and German channels on satellite television. I was able to watch the weekly Dutch chart show on the recently-begun RTL5, on which it was renamed/sponsored as the Rabo Top 40, and to hear much more German chart (and non-chart) music. I was listening to the Belgian top 30 programme on a frequency even further along the medium wave than RTE Radio used to be - and enjoying Radio One's more full coverage than previously of the UK Top Forty. Most of the music that reached my monthly charts in that year therefore came from the charts of these countries - but there were some exceptions, tracks that I discovered in other ways. Naturally, for example, some came out of the annual Eurovision Song Contest from Ireland.

I had recently reduced my monthly chart from a top 50 to a top 40, plus top 40 breakers - a format that I have continued ever since - but, with effect (only!) from the beginning of 1994, tracks released on CD, not available on vinyl, were allowed in. (Not many did reach the top forty, however - and, even now, less than 100 hits fall into that category). I had also imposed a minimum three-month stay for all top forty entries - and perhaps the general quality of hits in this year was not the highest, as almost a third of all that charted lasted only this long. And I had more difficulty in identifying the guaranteed future hit, the monthly Chartbuster, from current and new releases in 1994 than in other years. In five months out of twelve, my Record of the Month was not something even remotely recent - as Berdien Stenberg, Nilsson, the Boomtown Rats, Luv' and Kate Bush all belatedly received that honour. But some 1994 recordings came to my attention later on - in early 1995, especially - and became Chartbusters then. The total number of hits from 1994 (barring any late corrections that emerge - if anybody spots anything that should be moved to an earlier year, do please let me know!) was 74 - the highest total of the first half of the 1990's, and only exceeded in three more recent years. And the total number of breakers was 160 - never equalled or beaten, before or since.

So my top hundred of the year are now set out below - including, as usual, direct links to all bar the few that are are too obscure for any YouTube contributors to remember (K. Dootje, Pitti Polak, Boyz and one of Nicole's less memorable/successful songs!). Whether looking down the list, or listening to them all - some of which I probably hadn't heard for well over a decade, until this afternoon/evening - one word would seem to sum it up, more so than perhaps any other year. And that word is.......EURODANCE !!!

Here, then, is the complete countdown of my favourites from 1994:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP FORTY OF 1994 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
01 02 12 SING IT TO YOU (DEE DOOB DEE DOO) Lavinia Jones ##
02 01 10 SISTER GOLDEN HAIR Spanic
03 01 09 AN ANGEL Jam Tronik ##
04 01 09 TEARS DON'T LIE Mark'Oh
05 02 12 I SAW YOU DANCING Yaki-Da
06 01 11 RIGHT IN THE NIGHT (Fall In Love With Music) Jam and Spoon / Plavka
07 03 08 WISH YOU WERE HERE Rednex
08 02 07 COTTON EYE JOE Rednex
09 04 08 TAKE A BOW Madonna
10 02 07 TAKE ME AWAY Twenty 4 Seven

11 04 06 HEY SüßER Lucilectric
12 11 06 ALL THE LIES THAT YOU TOLD ME Frances Black ##
13 01 06 DREAMS (WILL COME ALIVE) 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor
14 11 09 SECOND WALTZ Andre Rieu
15 06 05 DIE NACHTIGALL SINGT K2
16 05 06 LET ME BE FREE 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor
17 06 05 RUN AWAY MC Sar and the Real McCoy
18 14 10 MISSING Everything But The Girl
19 03 05 I SHOW YOU SECRETS Pharao
20 07 06 UND AUßERDEM HAB' ICH DICH LIEB Nicole

21 13 06 ANOTHER DAY Whigfield
22 05 06 üBERALL Die Prinzen
23 08 05 BRING IT ON HOME Urban Cookie Collective
24 11 08 OVER THE RAINBOW Marusha
25 12 06 MAX DON'T HAVE SEX WITH YOUR EX E-rotic
26 03 05 OLD POP IN AN OAK Rednex
27 10 06 LET THE BEAT CONTROL YOUR BODY 2 Unlimited
28 04 05 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Nicki French ##
29 11 06 NO MORE (I CAN'T STAND IT) Maxx
30 02 05 CLOSE TO YOU Fun Factory

31 08 05 LEAVE THEM ALONE Twenty 4 Seven
32 10 06 IS IT LOVE Twenty 4 Seven
33 15 06 DROMEN ZIJN BEDROG Marco Borsato
34 02 04 THE REASON IS YOU Nina
35 10 05 FIND ME Jam and Spoon featuring Plavka
36 10 05 WE WILL BE FREE (LONELY SYMPHONY) Frances Ruffelle ##
37 12 05 DA CAPO Perplexer
38 18 06 THINK TWICE Celine Dion
39 09 05 DON'T TURN AROUND Ace of Base
40 10 05 THE REAL THING 2 Unlimited ##
And these were ALL the other 1994 tracks that reached my monthly charts:
41 13 04 AMORES EXTRANOS / STRANI AMORI Laura Pausini ##
42 08 05 THERE IS A STAR Pharao
43 10 04 FOREVER YOUNG Interactive
44 17 04 SWEET DREAMS La Bouche
45 18 04 OH BABY Twenty 4 Seven ##
46 19 04 LOVE IS MAGIC Loft
47 20 04 HUMAN NATURE Madonna
48 17 04 FUR DEN FRIEDEN DER WELT Petra Frey
49 14 05 IT'S A RAINY DAY Ice MC
50 20 04 FEEL THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT Masterboy
51 24 05 THINK ABOUT THE WAY Ice MC

52 13 03 EXCELSIS DO K Dootje ##
53 17 03 A FAIR AFFAIR Misty Oldland ##
54 21 03 AUTOMATIC LOVER The Real McCoy
55 26 03 POINT OF NO RETURN Centory
56 26 03 RAME Snap
57 33 03 SHORT DICK MAN 20 Fingers featuring Sandra Gillette
58 31 03 STAY ANOTHER DAY East 17
59 28 03 INDEPENDENT LOVE SONG Scarlet
60 30 03 UNITED Prince Ital Joe featuring Marky Mark ##
61 29 03 PRETTIEST EYES The Beautiful South
62 31 03 SINGING THE BLUES Daniel O'Donnell

63 35 03 EVERYBODY DJ Bobo
64 28 03 OMEN III Magic Affair
65 32 03 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT Magic Affair
66 33 03 RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT Corona
67 34 03 WELCOME TO TOMORROW Snap
68 35 03 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY Inner Circle
69 37 03 HIGH ON A HAPPY VIBE Urban Cookie Collective
70 37 03 CRASH BOOM BANG Roxette
71 37 03 SAIL AWAY Urban Cookie Collective
72 38 03 DON'T STOP (WIGGLE WIGGLE) Outhere Brothers
73 39 03 FLYING HIGH Captain Hollywood Project
74 39 03 GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE Magic Affair
Finally, to bring the total up to 100, the breakers that came closest to the chart:
75 51 ---- AM LIEBSTEN MIT DIR Nicole
76 51 ---- WIR GEBEN 'NE PARTY / WE'RE GIVIN' A PARTY Mekado
77 52 ---- HOPELOOS EN VERLOREN Dana Winner
78 52 ---- LET THE DREAM COME TRUE DJ Bobo
79 54 ---- ENGEL WIE DU Juliane Werding / Maggie Reilly / Viktor Lazlo
80 55 ---- BANJO MAN BZN
81 55 ---- GEEN HOUSE MAAR STRAUSS Andre Rieu
82 55 ---- LOVE ON THE BEACH Boyz

83 57 ---- IK WIL NIET DAT JE LIEGT Paul de Leeuw
84 57 ---- RENAISSANCE M People
85 59 ---- QUIEREME MUCHO BZN
86 59 ---- WHERE IS MY DUDELSACK Ungelenk
87 60 ---- 99 TIMES Pitti Polak
88 62 ---- SUCH A PHANTASY Time Frequency
89 64 ---- ONE LAST LOVE SONG The Beautiful South
90 66 ---- TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT Centory

91 66 ---- WHIGGLE IN LINE Black Duck
92 67 ---- LIT DE PARADE Army of Lovers
93 72 ---- CRY CRY LOUISE Kate Yanai
94 73 ---- BULLSH*T Black Lace
95 73 ---- DU SCHAFFST ES Juliane Werding
96 73 ---- LOVE IS ALL AROUND DJ Bobo
97 76 ---- RIVERDANCE Bill Whelan
98 78 ---- RIGHT BESIDE YOU Sophie B. Hawkins
99 79 ---- EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’ The Beautiful South
100 80 -- I LIKE TO MOVE IT Reel 2 Real featuring the Mad Stuntman

[Edited 19th July 2010 to reflect the corrections below]
Last edited by CZB on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CZB
Legend

Postby Marius » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Were you living in the UK in 1994? Your chart looks like the playlist of a German station :D
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby AshDeluxe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm

09 01 07 NEVER GONNA SAY I'M SORRY Ace of Base

I think this was only released at the end of 1995?
AshDeluxe
Manager

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm

^ Indeed - while the song itself might have been recorded in 1994, it certainly wasn't released anywhere until 1995 (when it appeared on the album "The Bridge") and didn't become a single until 1996. Under CZB's criteria, I'd have thought that would make this a 1995 release, though. Or have I miscalculated??

Will comment on the chart in full tonight!
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Lavinia Jones' "Sing It To You" is a great song which never fulfilled its potential in the UK. It got a lot of airplay in Ireland at the time and I assumed it would be a hit. I've not heard it in years and don't think I'd ever seen the video. I'm actually considering downloading it on iTunes. Amazingly, she has no entry on Wikipedia, either in English or German - I assume she's a German artist, or at least based there? Her website suggests she now lives in Munich, anyway.

I'd not heard that Jam Tronic(/k?) track. I'd only ever previously heard their Phil Collins cover, which amazed me at how well it did in the UK. I always felt that it sounded really cheaply-produced. "Angel" isn't that bad, I suppose, but I don't particularly like the singer's voice I'm afraid.

I discovered Mark'Oh when I did my university work placement in Germany the following year - but I can't say Tears Don't Lie ever appealed to me very much. But it brings back many memories to hear it again! It's my first time seeing the video, but I heard it on German radio many many times!

"Right In The Night" is one of my favourite Jam & Spoon tracks (with "Stella" being the runaway winner). Actually, having just listened just now to Lavinia Jones again, the "Spanish" guitar on both these tracks gives parts of these two tracks a similar feel which I hadn't noticed before. RIP Mark Spoon.

So much Rednex! I have to admit I like these three tracks - "Wish You Were Here" less so than the others - and I bought both of the others on CD in Germany in 1995.

Great to see Frances Black here, and especially so high. Definitely one of the best Irish hits of the year, and by far the biggest hit of Frances' career.

Mc Sar's "Runaway" is a great track, but I'd never heard that European version before - I far prefer the later UK version!

Both EBTG's "Missing" and Robert Miles' "Children" are two classics - probably both would be in my Top 10 of the 1990s, though for me the former charted in 1995, and the latter in 1996. Incidentally, although the clip you've linked to is marked as being the Todd Terry mix, it's not.

Maxx's "No More" is a particular favourite, though I preferred Getaway.

"Dromen Zijn Bedrog" is a good track :o

"Lonely Symphony" was one of the UK's better entries from the 1990s. I just discovered today that she's Eliza Doolittle's mum!

Despite its schmaltz, "Think Twice" is my favourite Celine Dion track.

I'm surprised to see Interactive's version of "Forever Young" so high here - given that you expressed some dislike for the recent (and in my opinion, far superior) version by Jay Z and Mr. Hudson.

"Sweet Dreams" is a great track. And there's that Spanish guitar again! I loved La Bouche - "Be My Lover" was number 1 in Germany when I arrived. RIP Melanie Thornton.

Masterboy's "Feel The Heat Of The Night" is a great track that should have been a hit in the UK. At least Magic Affair had success there - I live "Omen" but far, far prefer "Give Me All Your Love".

Misty Oldland is a blast from the past...and another underachiever.

It's strange to see Scarlet's "Independent Love Song" here - a topic was created in The Retro only yesterday! Great song.

I'd have thought Corona would be far higher! I think it's the epitome of a summer hit - love the song, the video, the vocals, the remixes.

Renaissance is one of M People's better tracks I think.

Unfortunately the Time Frequency's "Phantasy" has been removed - it's a track I don't know.

And it's great to see Sophie B Hawkins' "Right Beside You" sneaking in, though I placed it far higher in my year end chart. It was one of 3 songs that was never off the radio while I was living in Germany, or at least on the station we listened to in the lab at work, the others being Mike & The Mechanics' "Beggar on a Beach of Gold" and the Cardigans' "Lovefool".
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

By the way, a friend saw Eddi Reader in Dublin at the weekend, and she sang "Foirfe" - but forgot the lyrics!
irishguy28

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Frances Ruffelle, Scarlet and 20 Fingers are great!
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby stevyy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 pm

missing is the best (everything but the girl).. such a nice song. Unfortunately i discovered it years later.
stevyy
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

^ Better to discover a track late, than never at all.

"Missing" always reminds me of Germany - I was living there when it became a hit.
irishguy28

Postby Tiger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Sophie B. Hawkins rocks! But mostly Eurovision

My CHART
Tiger

Return to Personal Charts