CZB's Chart, June - 2018 (Month 465) and 1981 (Month 23)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CZB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

I wrote:And, with two climbers...and a three-place faller...completing my top ten, it’s the first time since June 1994 that it has consisted entirely of tracks available on 7” single!
So there is the randomly-chosen year for this month's six-hour trip back in time - and actually the most "genuinely" random one so far, as I drafted that sentence before checking back to discover when this had previously happened, hoping it would turn out to be a year I had not already covered.

What of 1994, then? I reached the age of thirty, and had started to receive additional Dutch and German channels on satellite television. I was able to watch the weekly Dutch chart show on the recently-begun RTL5, on which it was renamed/sponsored as the Rabo Top 40, and to hear much more German chart (and non-chart) music. I was listening to the Belgian top 30 programme on a frequency even further along the medium wave than RTE Radio used to be - and enjoying Radio One's more full coverage than previously of the UK Top Forty. Most of the music that reached my monthly charts in that year therefore came from the charts of these countries - but there were some exceptions, tracks that I discovered in other ways. Naturally, for example, some came out of the annual Eurovision Song Contest from Ireland.

I had recently reduced my monthly chart from a top 50 to a top 40, plus top 40 breakers - a format that I have continued ever since - but, with effect (only!) from the beginning of 1994, tracks released on CD, not available on vinyl, were allowed in. (Not many did reach the top forty, however - and, even now, less than 100 hits fall into that category). I had also imposed a minimum three-month stay for all top forty entries - and perhaps the general quality of hits in this year was not the highest, as almost a third of all that charted lasted only this long. And I had more difficulty in identifying the guaranteed future hit, the monthly Chartbuster, from current and new releases in 1994 than in other years. In five months out of twelve, my Record of the Month was not something even remotely recent - as Berdien Stenberg, Nilsson, the Boomtown Rats, Luv' and Kate Bush all belatedly received that honour. But some 1994 recordings came to my attention later on - in early 1995, especially - and became Chartbusters then. The total number of hits from 1994 (barring any late corrections that emerge - if anybody spots anything that should be moved to an earlier year, do please let me know!) was 74 - the highest total of the first half of the 1990's, and only exceeded in three more recent years. And the total number of breakers was 160 - never equalled or beaten, before or since.

So my top hundred of the year are now set out below - including, as usual, direct links to all bar the few that are are too obscure for any YouTube contributors to remember (K. Dootje, Pitti Polak, Boyz and one of Nicole's less memorable/successful songs!). Whether looking down the list, or listening to them all - some of which I probably hadn't heard for well over a decade, until this afternoon/evening - one word would seem to sum it up, more so than perhaps any other year. And that word is.......EURODANCE !!!

Here, then, is the complete countdown of my favourites from 1994:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP FORTY OF 1994 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
01 02 12 SING IT TO YOU (DEE DOOB DEE DOO) Lavinia Jones ##
02 01 10 SISTER GOLDEN HAIR Spanic
03 01 09 AN ANGEL Jam Tronik ##
04 01 09 TEARS DON'T LIE Mark'Oh
05 02 12 I SAW YOU DANCING Yaki-Da
06 01 11 RIGHT IN THE NIGHT (Fall In Love With Music) Jam and Spoon / Plavka
07 03 08 WISH YOU WERE HERE Rednex
08 02 07 COTTON EYE JOE Rednex
09 04 08 TAKE A BOW Madonna
10 02 07 TAKE ME AWAY Twenty 4 Seven

11 04 06 HEY SüßER Lucilectric
12 11 06 ALL THE LIES THAT YOU TOLD ME Frances Black ##
13 01 06 DREAMS (WILL COME ALIVE) 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor
14 11 09 SECOND WALTZ Andre Rieu
15 06 05 DIE NACHTIGALL SINGT K2
16 05 06 LET ME BE FREE 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor
17 06 05 RUN AWAY MC Sar and the Real McCoy
18 14 10 MISSING Everything But The Girl
19 03 05 I SHOW YOU SECRETS Pharao
20 07 06 UND AUßERDEM HAB' ICH DICH LIEB Nicole

21 13 06 ANOTHER DAY Whigfield
22 05 06 üBERALL Die Prinzen
23 08 05 BRING IT ON HOME Urban Cookie Collective
24 11 08 OVER THE RAINBOW Marusha
25 12 06 MAX DON'T HAVE SEX WITH YOUR EX E-rotic
26 03 05 OLD POP IN AN OAK Rednex
27 10 06 LET THE BEAT CONTROL YOUR BODY 2 Unlimited
28 04 05 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Nicki French ##
29 11 06 NO MORE (I CAN'T STAND IT) Maxx
30 02 05 CLOSE TO YOU Fun Factory

31 08 05 LEAVE THEM ALONE Twenty 4 Seven
32 10 06 IS IT LOVE Twenty 4 Seven
33 15 06 DROMEN ZIJN BEDROG Marco Borsato
34 02 04 THE REASON IS YOU Nina
35 10 05 FIND ME Jam and Spoon featuring Plavka
36 10 05 WE WILL BE FREE (LONELY SYMPHONY) Frances Ruffelle ##
37 12 05 DA CAPO Perplexer
38 18 06 THINK TWICE Celine Dion
39 09 05 DON'T TURN AROUND Ace of Base
40 10 05 THE REAL THING 2 Unlimited ##
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And these were ALL the other 1994 tracks that reached my monthly charts:
41 13 04 AMORES EXTRANOS / STRANI AMORI Laura Pausini ##
42 08 05 THERE IS A STAR Pharao
43 10 04 FOREVER YOUNG Interactive
44 17 04 SWEET DREAMS La Bouche
45 18 04 OH BABY Twenty 4 Seven ##
46 19 04 LOVE IS MAGIC Loft
47 20 04 HUMAN NATURE Madonna
48 17 04 FUR DEN FRIEDEN DER WELT Petra Frey
49 14 05 IT'S A RAINY DAY Ice MC
50 20 04 FEEL THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT Masterboy
51 24 05 THINK ABOUT THE WAY Ice MC

52 13 03 EXCELSIS DO K Dootje ##
53 17 03 A FAIR AFFAIR Misty Oldland ##
54 21 03 AUTOMATIC LOVER The Real McCoy
55 26 03 POINT OF NO RETURN Centory
56 26 03 RAME Snap
57 33 03 SHORT DICK MAN 20 Fingers featuring Sandra Gillette
58 31 03 STAY ANOTHER DAY East 17
59 28 03 INDEPENDENT LOVE SONG Scarlet
60 30 03 UNITED Prince Ital Joe featuring Marky Mark ##
61 29 03 PRETTIEST EYES The Beautiful South
62 31 03 SINGING THE BLUES Daniel O'Donnell

63 35 03 EVERYBODY DJ Bobo
64 28 03 OMEN III Magic Affair
65 32 03 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT Magic Affair
66 33 03 RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT Corona
67 34 03 WELCOME TO TOMORROW Snap
68 35 03 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY Inner Circle
69 37 03 HIGH ON A HAPPY VIBE Urban Cookie Collective
70 37 03 CRASH BOOM BANG Roxette
71 37 03 SAIL AWAY Urban Cookie Collective
72 38 03 DON'T STOP (WIGGLE WIGGLE) Outhere Brothers
73 39 03 FLYING HIGH Captain Hollywood Project
74 39 03 GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE Magic Affair
Finally, to bring the total up to 100, the breakers that came closest to the chart:
75 51 ---- AM LIEBSTEN MIT DIR Nicole
76 51 ---- WIR GEBEN 'NE PARTY / WE'RE GIVIN' A PARTY Mekado
77 52 ---- HOPELOOS EN VERLOREN Dana Winner
78 52 ---- LET THE DREAM COME TRUE DJ Bobo
79 54 ---- ENGEL WIE DU Juliane Werding / Maggie Reilly / Viktor Lazlo
80 55 ---- BANJO MAN BZN
81 55 ---- GEEN HOUSE MAAR STRAUSS Andre Rieu
82 55 ---- LOVE ON THE BEACH Boyz

83 57 ---- IK WIL NIET DAT JE LIEGT Paul de Leeuw
84 57 ---- RENAISSANCE M People
85 59 ---- QUIEREME MUCHO BZN
86 59 ---- WHERE IS MY DUDELSACK Ungelenk
87 60 ---- 99 TIMES Pitti Polak
88 62 ---- SUCH A PHANTASY Time Frequency
89 64 ---- ONE LAST LOVE SONG The Beautiful South
90 66 ---- TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT Centory

91 66 ---- WHIGGLE IN LINE Black Duck
92 67 ---- LIT DE PARADE Army of Lovers
93 72 ---- CRY CRY LOUISE Kate Yanai
94 73 ---- BULLSH*T Black Lace
95 73 ---- DU SCHAFFST ES Juliane Werding
96 73 ---- LOVE IS ALL AROUND DJ Bobo
97 76 ---- RIVERDANCE Bill Whelan
98 78 ---- RIGHT BESIDE YOU Sophie B. Hawkins
99 79 ---- EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’ The Beautiful South
100 80 -- I LIKE TO MOVE IT Reel 2 Real featuring the Mad Stuntman

[Edited 19th July 2010 to reflect the corrections below]
Last edited by CZB on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CZB
Legend

Postby Marius » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Were you living in the UK in 1994? Your chart looks like the playlist of a German station :D
I want to marry all 3 Serebro chicks
Marius
Legend

Postby AshDeluxe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm

09 01 07 NEVER GONNA SAY I'M SORRY Ace of Base

I think this was only released at the end of 1995?
AshDeluxe
Manager

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm

^ Indeed - while the song itself might have been recorded in 1994, it certainly wasn't released anywhere until 1995 (when it appeared on the album "The Bridge") and didn't become a single until 1996. Under CZB's criteria, I'd have thought that would make this a 1995 release, though. Or have I miscalculated??

Will comment on the chart in full tonight!
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Lavinia Jones' "Sing It To You" is a great song which never fulfilled its potential in the UK. It got a lot of airplay in Ireland at the time and I assumed it would be a hit. I've not heard it in years and don't think I'd ever seen the video. I'm actually considering downloading it on iTunes. Amazingly, she has no entry on Wikipedia, either in English or German - I assume she's a German artist, or at least based there? Her website suggests she now lives in Munich, anyway.

I'd not heard that Jam Tronic(/k?) track. I'd only ever previously heard their Phil Collins cover, which amazed me at how well it did in the UK. I always felt that it sounded really cheaply-produced. "Angel" isn't that bad, I suppose, but I don't particularly like the singer's voice I'm afraid.

I discovered Mark'Oh when I did my university work placement in Germany the following year - but I can't say Tears Don't Lie ever appealed to me very much. But it brings back many memories to hear it again! It's my first time seeing the video, but I heard it on German radio many many times!

"Right In The Night" is one of my favourite Jam & Spoon tracks (with "Stella" being the runaway winner). Actually, having just listened just now to Lavinia Jones again, the "Spanish" guitar on both these tracks gives parts of these two tracks a similar feel which I hadn't noticed before. RIP Mark Spoon.

So much Rednex! I have to admit I like these three tracks - "Wish You Were Here" less so than the others - and I bought both of the others on CD in Germany in 1995.

Great to see Frances Black here, and especially so high. Definitely one of the best Irish hits of the year, and by far the biggest hit of Frances' career.

Mc Sar's "Runaway" is a great track, but I'd never heard that European version before - I far prefer the later UK version!

Both EBTG's "Missing" and Robert Miles' "Children" are two classics - probably both would be in my Top 10 of the 1990s, though for me the former charted in 1995, and the latter in 1996. Incidentally, although the clip you've linked to is marked as being the Todd Terry mix, it's not.

Maxx's "No More" is a particular favourite, though I preferred Getaway.

"Dromen Zijn Bedrog" is a good track :o

"Lonely Symphony" was one of the UK's better entries from the 1990s. I just discovered today that she's Eliza Doolittle's mum!

Despite its schmaltz, "Think Twice" is my favourite Celine Dion track.

I'm surprised to see Interactive's version of "Forever Young" so high here - given that you expressed some dislike for the recent (and in my opinion, far superior) version by Jay Z and Mr. Hudson.

"Sweet Dreams" is a great track. And there's that Spanish guitar again! I loved La Bouche - "Be My Lover" was number 1 in Germany when I arrived. RIP Melanie Thornton.

Masterboy's "Feel The Heat Of The Night" is a great track that should have been a hit in the UK. At least Magic Affair had success there - I live "Omen" but far, far prefer "Give Me All Your Love".

Misty Oldland is a blast from the past...and another underachiever.

It's strange to see Scarlet's "Independent Love Song" here - a topic was created in The Retro only yesterday! Great song.

I'd have thought Corona would be far higher! I think it's the epitome of a summer hit - love the song, the video, the vocals, the remixes.

Renaissance is one of M People's better tracks I think.

Unfortunately the Time Frequency's "Phantasy" has been removed - it's a track I don't know.

And it's great to see Sophie B Hawkins' "Right Beside You" sneaking in, though I placed it far higher in my year end chart. It was one of 3 songs that was never off the radio while I was living in Germany, or at least on the station we listened to in the lab at work, the others being Mike & The Mechanics' "Beggar on a Beach of Gold" and the Cardigans' "Lovefool".
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

By the way, a friend saw Eddi Reader in Dublin at the weekend, and she sang "Foirfe" - but forgot the lyrics!
irishguy28

Postby Blondini » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Frances Ruffelle, Scarlet and 20 Fingers are great!
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby stevyy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 pm

missing is the best (everything but the girl).. such a nice song. Unfortunately i discovered it years later.
stevyy
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

^ Better to discover a track late, than never at all.

"Missing" always reminds me of Germany - I was living there when it became a hit.
irishguy28

Postby Tiger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Sophie B. Hawkins rocks! But mostly Eurovision
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby CZB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Many thanks for all the comments!

potojr wrote:Were you living in the UK in 1994? Your chart looks like the playlist of a German station :D
No - I have only ever lived in the UK! However, I have just remembered a significant contributor to the success of many of these tracks in my chart - a great little programme called Hit Clip, which was on five days a week at this time on all of the German third channels that had become available on Sky - B3, MDR, N3, SW3 and WDR - in different time-slots, mostly around lunchtime. And I think a couple of them repeated it at another time too! Each day, five hit videos were played in full, and maybe shorter clips from a couple more. On new chart days, lists of “new entries”, “20 to 11” and the top ten were scrolled across the bottom of the screen. Sometimes there were repeats instead of new ones - but I think it ran for quite a while - hundreds of episodes, probably - and I can recall many of the tracks in my 1994 top 100 being featured on multiple occasions. The presenter was one Thomas Germann, I recall.

irishguy28 wrote:Lavinia Jones' "Sing It To You" is a great song which never fulfilled its potential in the UK. It got a lot of airplay in Ireland...I assume she's a German artist, or at least based there? Her website suggests she now lives in Munich, anyway.
This was one of several continental hits from the mid-1990’s that were released in the UK, only to fall just short of the top 40, and disappear quickly (as many releases did then!) The Guinness and other chart books I have, that record her UK peak position of 45, give her country of origin as South Africa - but I do suspect that she was based in Germany at the time of this and further releases.

Surprisingly, despite an eighteen-week chart run there (or twenty weeks, including two at Christmas and New Year when no new chart was compiled) she didn’t even reach the top fifty
( 73 58 66 58 62 55 52 54 60 64 71 65 66 60 60 61 70 71 ) This was, of course, at a time before the exclusion rules came in - and the sort of run that led to their introduction!

In my chart, “Sing It To You” originally had a nine-month run (06 02 02 02 02 05 11 12 21 ) but returned for three more months in 1999 ( 26 20 31 ) in a remixed version - gaining enough further points to take it to the top of my 1994 list!

irishguy28 wrote:I'd not heard that Jam Tronic(/k?) track. I'd only ever previously heard their Phil Collins cover, which amazed me at how well it did in the UK. I always felt that it sounded really cheaply-produced. "Angel" isn't that bad, I suppose, but I don't particularly like the singer's voice I'm afraid.
It’s certainly Tronik on the CD single and 12” that I have - although it’s quite possible that it was Tronic in some countries, or on other singles. This version wasn’t actually a hit anywhere, as far as I know - so I had slight doubts about whether it would be on YouTube, but luckily it was. To me, it seemed a vast improvement on the Kelly Family! Jam Tronik also did better than Gary Barlow in my chart with their take on “Forever Love” - although neither their UK success, nor Phil Collins’ original version of “Another Day In Paradise”, impressed me at all, I’m afraid.

irishguy28 wrote:Mc Sar's "Runaway" is a great track, but I'd never heard that European version before - I far prefer the later UK version!
I must confess that, as I was approaching the end of the fifth hour, I just picked the shortest YouTube version of “Runaway” that I could see - so that only the top sixteen would be left to fit into the final hour (with a squeeze, as they included Madonna and Frances Black tracks of about four and a half minutes each, and the aforementioned “An Angel“, running to more than five minutes!) And it didn’t really seem all that familiar to me, either - I also preferred the UK version!

irishguy28 wrote:Both EBTG's "Missing" and Robert Miles' "Children" are two classics.....Incidentally, although the clip you've linked to is marked as being the Todd Terry mix, it's not.
Yes, I noticed that. Although, as always, I combined both versions into a single ranking, “Missing” charted with me in three separate runs within just over two years ( 35 35 35 XX 14 18 24 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX 32 23 23 26 ). The first run was probably mainly due to the original version, while the others were more likely the Todd Terry mix.

irishguy28 wrote:"Dromen Zijn Bedrog" is a good track :o
This became the longest-lasting number one ever in the Dutch top 40, remaining there for twelve weeks! And many others have followed, no matter whether they have been as excellent as “Rood” or as unmemorable as some of the others.....

irishguy28 wrote:Masterboy's "Feel The Heat Of The Night" is a great track that should have been a hit in the UK. At least Magic Affair had success there - I like "Omen" but far, far prefer "Give Me All Your Love".
I think “Feel The Heat Of The Night” did get a UK release - although I’m not absolutely sure, maybe it was another of their many similar and better European hits? But, as you say, there was no hit for them here. Whichever track was released in the UK, though, I’m fairly sure that it was remixed - and at least one of the Magic Affair UK releases underwent similar treatment. Listening to the three in close proximity, I was a little surprised that they weren’t further apart on my list - “Omen” seemed the best by quite some way. Considering just the one year does disguise a bigger gap (but still not much!) in my overall all-time ranking - it’s currently at 2148, and “In The Middle Of The Night” is at 2183. Several of the YouTube Magic Affair videos were dated 1993, making me wonder if I had these in the wrong year - but I have not found any evidence to confirm this, so I’m still reasonably certain that they are all properly included in 1994!

irishguy28 wrote:Renaissance is one of M People's better tracks I think.
Yes, I agree. None of theirs have ever reached my top forty, but that one got much closer than any others. It was the theme from an early reality, slightly “Big Brother”-style, programme on BBC2, “The Living Soap”.

irishguy28 wrote:Unfortunately the Time Frequency's "Phantasy" has been removed - it's a track I don't know.
It‘s still playing all right for me, currently showing a mere “705 views” - one of many on this list with very low numbers, reflecting relative obscurity! But maybe there are still some restrictions in different territories, although thankfully the various sound and other bannings that became frequent maybe a year or more ago seem to be a thing of the past.

irishguy28 wrote:And it's great to see Sophie B Hawkins' "Right Beside You" sneaking in, though I placed it far higher in my year end chart.
It was only as I prepared to begin, as I added the ## marks in to indicate former Chartbusters, that I wondered for the first time ever if February 1994’s - “Liberation” by the Pet Shop Boys - might have actually appeared on a 1993 album. And I found that both it and “Yesterday (When I Was Mad)” did - so they both had to exit, allowing Sophie B. and “Riverdance“ in, at the last moment!

AshDeluxe wrote:09 01 07 NEVER GONNA SAY I'M SORRY Ace of Base

I think this was only released at the end of 1995?
irishguy28 wrote:^ Indeed - while the song itself might have been recorded in 1994, it certainly wasn't released anywhere until 1995 (when it appeared on the album "The Bridge") and didn't become a single until 1996. Under CZB's criteria, I'd have thought that would make this a 1995 release, though. Or have I miscalculated??
I’m going to have to check this one out very carefully - it would be strange indeed for me to have allocated a track to too early a year, but I have to concede that, in this instance, it’s looking like a very real possibility. As this was the first Ace of Base track I wasn’t able to get on 7” single, I could only have got the year 1994 from the 12” single.....or the CD single.....or one of the albums - “The Bridge” or “Singles Of The 90’s” ? I fear that all my copies of these are currently too inaccessibly/randomly filed for me to find them quickly or easily, so that I can re-check the sleeves and labels - but images I have found on the internet of some of them so far do tend to suggest that this should indeed be in 1995. If and when I’m certain of this, I’ll remove it, and shuffle everything below up a place. In the event that it goes, waiting in the wings to claim the number 100 position, with a number 79 peak, is:
EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’ The Beautiful South

CZB
Legend

Postby AshDeluxe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Has Robert Miles - Children really been released that early anywhere when it wasn't a big hit all over Europe before spring 1996?

Some great songs though, I loved Dromen zijn bedrog :lol:

Here's my Top 25 of 1994 (the rest of the top 100 I have only on paper yet):
1 Der Berg ruft K2
2 Cotton Eye Joe Rednex
3 United Prince Ital Joe feat. Marky Mark
4 An Angel The Kelly Family
5 Let The Beat Go On Dr. Alban
6 Leave Them Alone Twenty 4 Seven
7 Omen III Magic Affair
8 Zombie The Cranberries
9 Acid Folk Perplexer
10 Always Bon Jovi
11 The Colour Of My Dreams B.G. The Prince Of Rap
12 Get-A-Way Maxx
13 The Real Thing 2 Unlimited
14 Circle Of Life Elton John
15 U Got 2 Let The Music Cappella
16 Let The Beat Control Your Body 2 Unlimited
17 I Like To Move It Reel 2 Real
18 Let The Dream Come True DJ Bobo
19 There Is A Star Pharao
20 Everybody DJ Bobo
21 Close To You Fun Factory
22 Forever Young Interactive
23 Somewhere Over The Rainbow Marusha
24 Away From Home Dr. Alban
25 Hold On Loft
Last edited by AshDeluxe on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AshDeluxe
Manager

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 pm

AshDeluxe wrote:Was Robert Miles - Children really released that early anywhere when it wasn't a big hit all over Europe before spring 1996?
Yes, I think that's another.

Its first release anwhere, in any form, was on DBX Records in Italy - as a track on the Soundracks EP, catalogue number DBX005 - in January 1995 according to Wikipedia, before being released again in its own right by the same label later that year with a catalogue number of DBX015:

http://i28.tinypic.com/3088ocg.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2nlr2qe.jpg

The discography on his own website also attributes both releases to 1995 - though the biography shows that it was written in 1994 - with only two previous releases, "Oxygen Vol. 1" and "Ghost" attributed to 1994, both being released under the name Roberto Milani.

It first emerged (on vinyl only) in the UK on the respected indie trance label Platipus later that year, but became the subject of a bidding-war amongst the majors who were anxious to break the hit to the wider public, with deConstruction emerging victorious and picking up the rights for a full UK release in 1996.
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Many thanks to irishguy28 and AshDeluxe for the further input - and especially the above detailed Robert Miles research!

I have not been able to find anything that convincingly supports my original placing of either "Children" or "Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry" in 1994 - so I have now deleted them both from that chart, and moved everything else up a little as appropriate. They will return when I do the top 100 of 1995.....one will be a little higher in that list, one a bit lower, than they were in 1994!

I have also taken the opportunity to add in a link to the UK version of "Run Away" - in this instance, this really was an improvement on the European original.....

AshDeluxe wrote:Here's my Top 25 of 1994
Not only did twelve of that top 25 originally appear in my top 100 of the year, but:

- three of the others were also among the 1994 breakers that didn't reach the top 100;

- two more made it into my 1993 chart - another year still to feature in the months ahead! - on the (hopefully correct) assumption that they were (late) 1993 releases (Cappella and Maxx)

- now it's thirteen in the top 100, as another one on your list claims the vacant number 100 position! :D

CZB
Legend

Postby Marius » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 pm

02 01 10 SISTER GOLDEN HAIR Spanic

America cover, I suppose?

04 01 09 TEARS DON'T LIE Mark'Oh

Never really liked this, I preferred other songs by him.

05 02 12 I SAW YOU DANCING Yaki-Da
06 01 11 RIGHT IN THE NIGHT (Fall In Love With Music) Jam and Spoon / Plavka

These were both decent

07 03 08 WISH YOU WERE HERE Rednex
08 02 07 COTTON EYE JOE Rednex
09 04 08 TAKE A BOW Madonna
10 02 07 TAKE ME AWAY Twenty 4 Seven

As were these, Madonna is actually my least fav in the bunch

11 04 06 HEY SüßER Lucilectric

I only know Madchen, which was annoying as ****.

13 01 06 DREAMS (WILL COME ALIVE) 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor

Awesome!

15 06 05 DIE NACHTIGALL SINGT K2

No Berg ruft??

17 06 05 RUN AWAY MC Sar and the Real McCoy
18 14 10 MISSING Everything But The Girl
19 03 05 I SHOW YOU SECRETS Pharao

OK, but EBTG is very overrated, including on UKMIX

22 05 06 üBERALL Die Prinzen

Do you know / like Alles nur geklaut by them? Think it is off the same album

23 08 05 BRING IT ON HOME Urban Cookie Collective
24 11 08 OVER THE RAINBOW Marusha
25 12 06 MAX DON'T HAVE SEX WITH YOUR EX E-rotic
26 03 05 OLD POP IN AN OAK Rednex
27 10 06 LET THE BEAT CONTROL YOUR BODY 2 Unlimited
28 04 05 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Nicki French ##
29 11 06 NO MORE (I CAN'T STAND IT) Maxx
30 02 05 CLOSE TO YOU Fun Factory

All these are good, especially Maxx. I trust Getaway charted in a different year? Also, no Slave To The Music for 24-7?

34 02 04 THE REASON IS YOU Nina
35 10 05 FIND ME Jam and Spoon featuring Plavka
37 12 05 DA CAPO Perplexer

OK all, have not heard Nina's since that time, nice to see someone else here recalls it.

38 18 06 THINK TWICE Celine Dion
39 09 05 DON'T TURN AROUND Ace of Base
40 10 05 THE REAL THING 2 Unlimited

Nice, especially 2U, The Real Thing is my 3rd fav by them behind No Limits and Twilight Zone

41 13 04 AMORES EXTRANOS / STRANI AMORI Laura Pausini ##

San Remo winner that year

42 08 05 THERE IS A STAR Pharao
44 17 04 SWEET DREAMS La Bouche
46 19 04 LOVE IS MAGIC Loft

Know Hold On and Summer Summer Summer by Loft? Check them out if not.

49 14 05 IT'S A RAINY DAY Ice MC
50 20 04 FEEL THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT Masterboy
51 24 05 THINK ABOUT THE WAY Ice MC

Love these! I was DJ-ing at parties and weddings at the time (i was in high school) and have played all these three hundreds of times.

54 21 03 AUTOMATIC LOVER The Real McCoy

Excellent, their second best.

55 26 03 POINT OF NO RETURN Centory

Much better than the 80s song with the same name.

57 33 03 SHORT DICK MAN 20 Fingers featuring Sandra Gillette
58 31 03 STAY ANOTHER DAY East 17
59 28 03 INDEPENDENT LOVE SONG Scarlet
60 30 03 UNITED Prince Ital Joe featuring Marky Mark ##
61 29 03 PRETTIEST EYES The Beautiful South

Can't stand 20 Fingers, but all other are ace.

62 31 03 SINGING THE BLUES Daniel O'Donnell

No way! :D

63 35 03 EVERYBODY DJ Bobo
64 28 03 OMEN III Magic Affair
65 32 03 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT Magic Affair
66 33 03 RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT Corona
67 34 03 WELCOME TO TOMORROW Snap
68 35 03 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY Inner Circle
69 37 03 HIGH ON A HAPPY VIBE Urban Cookie Collective
71 37 03 SAIL AWAY Urban Cookie Collective
72 38 03 DON'T STOP (WIGGLE WIGGLE) Outhere Brothers
73 39 03 FLYING HIGH Captain Hollywood Project
74 39 03 GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE Magic Affair

Again, every single one of these I'd play every evening. Dance ruled in 1994!

Heh, were they still around? Iglesias cover i'd imagine?

93 72 ---- CRY CRY LOUISE Kate Yanai

I presume you know her big hit from 1991, too?

94 73 ---- BULLSH*T Black Lace

NH this song, but I think the title would be appropriate for many other of theirs.

96 73 ---- LOVE IS ALL AROUND DJ Bobo
97 76 ---- RIVERDANCE Bill Whelan
98 78 ---- RIGHT BESIDE YOU Sophie B. Hawkins
99 79 ---- EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’ The Beautiful South
100 80 -- I LIKE TO MOVE IT Reel 2 Real featuring the Mad Stuntman

Mixed bunch here, I guess DJ Bobo is my fav.
Marius
Legend

Postby CZB » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm

potojr wrote:02 01 10 SISTER GOLDEN HAIR Spanic

America cover, I suppose?

But of course! I hadn't actually heard America's original until Spanic's became successful - and it also reached my top forty, at around the time Spanic were number one.

potojr wrote:85 59 ---- QUIEREME MUCHO BZN

But in this case, I think (although I'm not sure) that was one of their own compositions, with only the same title.

potojr wrote:04 01 09 TEARS DON'T LIE Mark'Oh

Never really liked this, I preferred other songs by him.
But not necessarily the other two that reached number one in my chart - several years apart:

LET THIS PARTY NEVER END

I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS

potojr wrote:22 05 06 üBERALL Die Prinzen

Do you know / like Alles nur geklaut by them? Think it is off the same album

I only vaguely recall "Alles nur geklaut" - more for the video, which took inspiration from many others, one of which was Queen's "I Want To Break Free". I'm fairly certain that it was on the "Hit Clip" programme quite a few times - probably because it was a much bigger German hit than, for me, the much more tuneful "Uberall". Yes, I think they both came from the same album.

potojr wrote:29 11 06 NO MORE (I CAN'T STAND IT) Maxx

All these are good, especially Maxx. I trust Getaway charted in a different year? Also, no Slave To The Music for 24-7?

Yes indeed - both that earlier Maxx track and "Slave To The Music" will be in 1993's top 100.

potojr wrote:93 72 ---- CRY CRY LOUISE Kate Yanai

I presume you know her big hit from 1991, too?
I still hear "Bacardi Feeling" played from time to time on one of the radio stations I often have on in the background - RTL Radio. Yes - it will be in my 1991 top 100, another year still to come.

I have so many other years yet to be featured - maybe I should aim to fit two into the gaps between my new monthly charts instead of just one!
CZB
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:15 pm

potojr wrote:

BZN were active until 2007, so I'm not sure what you mean by that....
irishguy28

Postby Marius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

irishguy28 wrote:
potojr wrote:

I had no idea, always thought of them as some 70s / early 80s band, since I recall them from my parents' album collection when I was a kid, together with ABBA, Boney M, Baccara and the likes.
Marius
Legend

Postby AshDeluxe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

CZB wrote:I have also taken the opportunity to add in a link to the UK version of "Run Away" - in this instance, this really was an improvement on the European original.....
I never heard the European version... I'm from Germany and I only know the "UK version". :o
Haven't heard it in a while though, but still love it. :D
edit: I just noticed it was only a #14 in my chart back then... what a shame! :-?

CZB wrote:- two more made it into my 1993 chart - another year still to feature in the months ahead! - on the (hopefully correct) assumption that they were (late) 1993 releases (Cappella and Maxx)
[/b]
Yep, those indeed were released at the end of 1993.
My year end chart of 1994 contained lots of songs from 1993/1992 as it was the first year I made a personal chart... at the age of ten :lol:
AshDeluxe
Manager

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Despite what CZB stated about updating the link for MC Sar & Real McCoy's "Runaway" to be the UK audio, the version above is STILL the so-called "European" version.

The audio on this this video is almost identical to the UK Airplay Edit. I'm very interested, AshDeluxe, to know if THIS is the version that was played on the radio in Germany, rather than the other so-called "European" version.

That "unreleased" version of the video reminds me somewhat of Chicane's video for "Don't Give Up".
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:13 pm

potojr wrote:
irishguy28 wrote:
potojr wrote:

I had no idea, always thought of them as some 70s / early 80s band, since I recall them from my parents' album collection when I was a kid, together with ABBA, Boney M, Baccara and the likes.
Their last single was Number 1 on the very first monthly chart posted in this thread, as it happens!
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 pm

irishguy28 wrote:Despite what CZB stated about updating the link for MC Sar & Real McCoy's "Runaway" to be the UK audio, the version above is STILL the so-called "European" version.
You must have clicked the original link to the "European version" that I retained on the left ( RUN AWAY ) - I added the one for the UK version on the right of this ( MC Sar and the Real McCoy )!

irishguy28 wrote:The audio on this this video is almost identical to the UK Airplay Edit.
Although I have only listened to the beginning of the version on that link, it does sound similar to the UK version one that I posted.

irishguy28 wrote:I'm very interested, AshDeluxe, to know if THIS is the version that was played on the radio in Germany, rather than the other so-called "European" version.
Unless I'm getting it confused with one of their other releases - or something different altogether! - I think the "European version" was originally played there, but maybe they then switched to the "UK version" when that became available. It wasn't a hit in Germany until the summer of 1994.

This page illustrates and lists the content of two quite different CD single releases, but unfortunately doesn't specify where or when each was released. Perhaps, in the German-speaking countries, they both were - but the European version flopped, then the UK version was the hit?
CZB
Legend

Postby AshDeluxe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:29 pm

I think that "european" version was never released in Germany. I only heard the other version on the radio and it was also on the Bravo Hits in late summer 1994. In UK the song was only released at the beginning of 1995, so German radio didn't switch that late...
AshDeluxe
Manager

Postby CZB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:03 am

Almost a day earlier than usual - as I'll be busy compiling the UKmixParade this evening! - here comes my brand new monthly chart.....

CZB'S TOP FORTY ---------------- Month 372 ------------------ AUGUST 2010
01 04 02 ALEJANDRO (DON'T CALL MY NAME) Lady GaGa
02 14 02 BUBBLE BATH The Swiss [Rapid Riser]
03 12 05 A NIGHT LIKE THIS Caro Emerald ##
04 05 02 ALL THE LOVERS Kylie Minogue ##
05 ---- 01 WE NO SPEAK AMERICANO Yolanda Be Cool / D-Cup [Highest New Entry]
06 11 04 GYPSY Shakira ##
07 02 03 BITTERSWEET Sophie Ellis-Bextor ##
08 09 04 VANILLA TWILIGHT Owl City
09 06 03 I AM NOT A ROBOT Marina and the Diamonds
10 17 07 AZURE Paul Kalkbrenner

11 03 05 TELEPHONE Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce
12 15 06 WAITING Dash Berlin featuring Emma Hewitt ##
13 16 08 ON AND ON / ON SE DONNE Agnes ##
14 01 04 LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE Bananarama
15 07 05 HOLLYWOOD Marina and the Diamonds
16 26 03 THE RAIN Peter Luts
17 19 03 ALORS ON DANSE Stromae
18 ---- 01 COME HOME Amatorski ##
19 13 05 BETTER RUN Tocadisco featuring Nadia Ali
20 08 07 FIREFLIES Owl City

21 22 03 HAVEN'T MET YOU YET Michael Buble
22 ---- 01 AURORA Nova
23 27 09 STEREO LOVE Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina [Longest Laster] ##
24 10 05 STARRY EYED Ellie Goulding [Fastest Faller]
25 28 03 TRY SLEEPING WITH A BROKEN HEART Alicia Keys
26 20 08 I THINK I LIKE IT Fake Blood
27 36 02 THE RIDDLE Prezioso and Marvin
28 Re 06 FOIRFE / PERFECT Eddi Reader / Fairground Attraction
29 23 08 BAD ROMANCE Lady GaGa
30 ---- 01 THAT MAN Caro Emerald

31 18 06 HELLO Jan Wayne
32 ---- 01 NEVER CRY AGAIN Dash Berlin
33 21 04 DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL Paloma Faith
34 ---- 01 THIS IS MY LIFE Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina
35 38 02 SWEET DISPOSITION Temper Trap
36 24 06 CHASING PIRATES Norah Jones
37 Re 04 SOMETHING'S JUMPING IN YOUR SHIRT Malcolm McLaren and Lisa Marie
38 25 07 1000 DREAMS Miss Kittin And The Hacker
39 30 04 WALK THE LINE Laurent Wolf
40 ---- 01 I NEED YOU NOW Agnes
TOP 40 BREAKERS:
01 [ 00 ] ROCKET TO URANUS Vengaboys featuring Perez Hilton [Chartbuster] ##
02 [ 02 ] VOYAGE VOYAGE Bananarama
03 [ 03 ] WHO'D HAVE KNOWN Lily Allen
04 [ 05 ] POISON PRINCE Amy MacDonald
05 [ 08 ] TAKE ON ME Topmodelz
06 [ 14 ] YOUR LOVE IS MY DRUG Ke$ha
07 [ 15 ] NATURALLY Selena Gomez and the Scene
08 [ 24 ] FIRE WITH FIRE Scissor Sisters
09 [ 11 ] DON'T TELL ME THAT IT'S OVER Amy MacDonald
10 [ 12 ] HOT Inna

11 [ 13 ] FEVER Cascada
12 [ 17 ] IF Y0U TOLERATE THIS Eric Chase
13 [ 16 ] TIK TOK Ke$ha
14 [ 31 ] EVIDENT UTENSIL Chairlift
15 [ 26 ] TURN THE TIDE Sylver
16 [ 18 ] LOVESONG Jes
17 [ 19 ] OUTTA HERE Esmee Denters
18 [ 22 ] RUSSIAN ROULETTE Rihanna
19 [ 23 ] WINGS Das Pop
20 [ 25 ] TOCHAILT UAIGHE GO RóLUATH Duke Special

21 [ 27 ] NEED YOU NOW Lady Antebellum
22 [ 28 ] MISSING Jessy
23 [ 29 ] I WANNA Bob Sinclar and Sahara featuring Shaggy
24 [ 32 ] LOVE Inna
25 [ 35 ] HEY, SOUL SISTER Train
26 [ 33 ] SPARK Amy MacDonald
27 [ 37 ] CALL ME Samantha Fox and Sabrina Salerno
28 [ 00 ] A HAPPY PLACE Katie Melua
29 [ 00 ] A MOMENT OF MADNESS Katie Melua
30 [ 00 ] THIS PRETTY FACE Amy MacDonald

31 [ 00 ] ONE Swedish House Mafia
32 [ 38 ] JANEIRO Dash Berlin featuring Solid Sessions
33 [ 00 ] AMAZING Inna
34 [ 36 ] NEVER BE YOUR WOMAN Wiley featuring Emeli Sande
35 [ 00 ] BACK IT UP Caro Emerald
36 [ 39 ] BAD BOYS Alexandra Burke featuring Flo Rida
37 [ 00 ] SPREAD Right Face
38 [ 00 ] THE POPE OF DOPE Party Harders vs The Subs
39 [ 00 ] KICKSTARTS Example
40 [ 00 ] THE FLOOD Katie Melua
Number one seven years ago: NOTHING BUT YOU Paul Van Dyk
Number one fourteen years ago: TO ANOTHER GALAXY Tokyo Ghetto Pussy
Number one twenty-one years ago: VIVER SENZA TEI Furbaz
Number one twenty-eight years ago: A BUNCH OF THYME Foster and Allen

Fifteen tracks move down my chart this time - and last month’s number one only just misses out on being the fastest faller. Ellie Goulding’s “Starry Eyed” dives fourteen places to number 24, while Bananarama topple all the way from the top to number 14. Replacing “Love Don’t Live Here” is the second chart-topper for Lady GaGa, as “Alejandro (Don’t Call My Name)” moves up three places from its number four entry position. “Poker Face” was my number one for two months last year - but matching that may prove difficult, as there are strong challengers close behind. Among fourteen other climbers, the Rapid Riser bubbles up twelve places to number two for The Swiss - and Caro Emerald steps up nine places to number three with the most successful Dutch hit so far of 2010, “A Night Like This”. That’s one of four former Chartbusters dropping down in July, but now ascending again - and all four are by acts who also have a new entry in the top forty. Hers is “That Man”, in at 30 - while Dash Berlin’s former number one “Waiting” is back up three places to number 12, and “Never Cry Again” becomes a second hit from the album “New Daylight”, entering at 32. Two places lower, Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina arrive with “This Is My Life” - as “Stereo Love”, now the longest laster, rebounds four places to number 23 after nine months in the chart. And as Agnes moves back up three places to number 13 with “On And On” - partly due to the French version “On Se Donne” - she matches her UK peak with “I Need You Now”. This is new at number 40 - entirely on the strength of the “Moonwalker version”, which has more recently been a hit in Belgium.

Two former hits re-enter my top forty - “Something’s Jumping In Your Shirt” improves by one place on its original number 38 peak for Malcolm McLaren, who died earlier this year, while Eddi Reader and Fairground Attraction return seven places below the previous number 21 peak of the UK number one “Perfect”. Its reappearance is due to an Irish version, “Foirfe”, which is a regular filler in the Raidio RiRa broadcasts of “Ireland’s Official Top Forty”.....and indeed has just begun to play again as I type this, ahead of the top five in tonight’s programme!! The third highest of seven new entries reached number one in the Netherlands back in 1982 - although it had originally been released elsewhere a year earlier. “Aurora” by Nova now makes an extremely belated debut, at number 21. Three notches higher, last month’s Chartbuster from Amatorski, “Come Home”, is the second highest newcomer - but another major contender for September’s number one must be the current UK best-seller, and continental smash, for Australians Sylvester Martinez, Johnson Peterson and Duncan MacLennan. “We No Speak Americano”, by Yolanda Be Cool featuring D-Cup, becomes the highest-ever climber in my extended chart - racing up 120 places to enter the top forty at number five.

Katie Melua’s first success in my top forty was “The Closest Thing To Crazy”, from her 2003 album “Call Off The Search”. Four more hits followed - and she could be about to have up to three more. “The Flood“, the first single from her latest album, is among eleven new breakers this month, along with two rather stronger tracks from that album - “A Moment Of Madness” and “A Happy Place”. Also now with three of the top forty breakers is Inna, a graduate from the Lasgo academy of one-word song-titles, adding “Amazing” to “Hot” and “Love” - while Amy MacDonald goes one better, as “This Pretty Face” joins “Poison Prince”, “Don’t Tell Me That It’s Over” and “Spark” as yet another potential future hit. With two current top forty entries already, Caro Emerald could be about to add a third with “Back It Up”; Example is looking for a second hit with “Kickstarts”; and Swedish House Mafia, Right Face and Party Harders vs Subs could all soon chart for the first time. But the new Chartbuster, guaranteed a top forty entry in September, is for a Dutch act who had seven hits in my chart in the late nineties and early noughties. After a long absence, they returned to the top 40 in Holland this month. Unfortunately, due to rather poor airplay, they could only climb three places higher than their number 24 entry, despite being in the sales top ten. Is the rest of the world ready for the second coming of the Vengaboys? My Record of the Month for August 2010, featuring interjections by Perez Hilton, is “Rocket To Uranus”.

CZB
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:59 am

These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Return to Personal Charts