CZB's Chart, July - 2018 (Month 466), and top 112 of 2011 !

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CZB » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am

I wrote:Only one previous chart can come close to matching such a lack of movement in the upper range - and that was back in June 2001.....
Hopefully nobody thought the new thread title was a misprint, and that I was about to add to the vast collection of countdowns of the best of 2010?! No, that was the clue to the first retro year to be covered in the gaps between my new monthly charts in 2011. The clock is now turned back to 2001, as I have been listening again - through the YouTube links below - to my top hundred favourite songs from one decade ago. And, although some might be described at least as slightly obscure (or, I suppose, completely unknown, if readers haven't ever heard of them until now!) they are all to be found there - and fitted comfortably, if a little snugly, into exactly six hours today.

It may seem unthinkable now - but, back then, the weekly UK chart show on Radio One was still very well presented - although unfortunately I never seemed to hear very many tracks that I actually liked in it! Instead, the vast majority of what I'll be voting for in one of the weekly games on the Retro forum over the next twelve months - its playlist permitting! - come from the charts of continental Europe, and especially Germany. As with other nearby years, the emphasis is very much on Eurodance - although there are several tracks, even towards the top, that couldn't in any sense be described that way.

So.....

How many 2001 tracks reached the breakers? .....Eighty-nine - so eleven of the best other CD singles I bought from that year have made up the quota. :D

How many tracks made it into my monthly top forty? .....Fifty-seven - and one of the monthly Chartbusters turned out to be the least successful of them all! :oops:

How many reached the top ten? .....Twenty-eight - including the one I thought deserved to win the year's Eurovision Song Contest. It's someone who is apparently now a music/singing teacher - but I don't think many of her pupils would be able to reach that last top note! :o

How many went all the way to number one? .....Only three - and, inexplicably, one of them doesn't seem to have been any more than an extremely minor hit anywhere! :cry:

And who has my number one of the year? .....Well, it's the same act who had the number one in the previous retro year chart featured here, only a few weeks ago, and not much further up the page! 8-)

Here now are all the answers, in my first complete retro countdown of 2011.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP HUNDRED OF 2001 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

01 02 14 SAY WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND Dario G
02 02 10 AIN'T IT FUNNY Jennifer Lopez ##
03 01 11 MY HEART IT FEELS LIKE...DUB DUB It Girls
04 02 11 WHENEVER, WHEREVER / SUERTE Shakira
05 01 09 WILL I Ian Van Dahl ##
06 02 11 SOMETHING Lasgo
07 11 13 I'M IN HEAVEN (WHEN YOU KISS ME) ATC ##
08 09 12 I'M ALIVE Celine Dion
09 05 11 FLUTE Barcode Brothers
10 01 09 HEAVEN DJ Sammy and Yanou featuring Do
11 02 10 UNDERNEATH YOUR CLOTHES Shakira ##
12 02 10 OBJECTION (TANGO) Shakira
13 04 12 MISSY QUEEN'S GONNA DIE Tok Tok vs Soffy O
14 11 16 DAM DUBI DAM (I MISS YOU) Millane Fernandez ##
15 13 12 FROM SARAH WITH LOVE Sarah Connor ##
16 07 12 MILK AND TOAST AND HONEY Roxette

17 02 07 CALLING Geri Halliwell
18 08 09 FORGIVEN Sylver
19 03 08 FOREVER IN LOVE Sylver
20 05 08 CAMBODIA Pulsedriver
21 03 08 YOU ARE ALIVE Fragma
22 08 09 AMENO DJ Quicksilver
23 09 09 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Jan Wayne meets Lena ##
24 05 08 BABY I'M A STAR Spacebelle
25 09 07 NO DREAM IMPOSSIBLE Lindsay ##
26 10 08 IN YOUR EYES Sylver
27 08 07 BOLERO Symphonic
28 14 08 INSANITY Culture Beat
29 20 12 SCREAM FOR MORE / MON COEUR RESISTE ENCORE Kate Ryan
30 08 09 DAYLIGHT IN YOUR EYES No Angels
31 13 07 SAY IT Maria Rubia ##
32 07 05 SEXY French Affair

33 10 07 SOMEDAY DJs @ Work
34 12 07 WONDERFUL LIFE T.J. Davis
35 11 07 PRAY Lasgo
36 18 08 D.F.F. (DJ'S, FANS AND FREAKS) Blank and Jones
37 07 06 CHILDREN 4 Clubbers
38 23 08 VENUS AND MARS Jo Breezer
39 12 04 KALEIDOSKOP Nicole ##
40 15 05 SAY THAT YOU'RE HERE Fragma
41 17 06 RAPTURE Iio
42 24 05 ALONE Lasgo
43 19 05 IN MY DREAMS Noemi
44 24 06 LET U GO ATB
45 21 05 CATCH YOU Bell, Book and Candle
46 26 06 4 O'CLOCK (IN THE MORNING) Lazard
47 24 05 HOLD YOU ATB
48 25 04 INTO THE SEA C.J. Stone
49 23 04 LET'S TALK ABOUT A MAN Prezioso

50 25 04 HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY Aquagen
51 27 04 SHINING STAR C.J. Stone
52 28 04 THERE YOU'LL BE Faith Hill
53 26 04 TOGETHER Woody van Eyden
54 30 03 WHOLE AGAIN Natalie Browne
55 32 04 POSSESSION Transfer
56 35 05 SOMEONE TO CALL MY LOVER Janet Jackson
57 34 03 INFECTED Barthezz ##
58 70 ---- LOVED Kim Wilde
59 77 ---- THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES ON TV Mario Lopez
60 79 ---- THE CHASE Rednex
61 81 ---- ON THE MOVE Barthezz
62 93 ---- CHAIN REACTION Steps
63 95 ---- SPACE MELODY Luna Park
64 96 ---- CLOSE TO YOU Rollergirl
65 96 ---- DUCK TOY Hampenberg
66 100 -- CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD Kylie Minogue

67 100 -- SILVER SCREEN SHOWER SCENE Felix Da Housecat
68 102 -- LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT Fresh 'n' Juicy
69 102 -- LIVING ON VIDEO Ratty
70 105 -- I LIKE TO MOVE IT Bang Gang
71 105 -- WHEN JULIE SAYS Orange Blue
72 106 -- CINDERELLA Sweetbox
73 106 -- MIAMI DJ Sakin and Friends
74 107 -- BORN TO BE ALIVE Disco Boys
75 108 -- I KNOW HIM SO WELL Steps
76 109 -- I WOULD DIE FOR YOU Antique
77 109 -- SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA Beverley Knight
78 111 -- I'M FREE F.A.F.
79 113 -- MISSING Discovery
80 113 -- MY STAR Naimee Coleman
81 114 -- YOU ARE Atomic Kitten
82 115 -- MAY IT BE Enya
83 115 -- ROCK THE DISCOTHEQUE Prezioso

84 116 -- FREE Lighthouse Family
85 117 -- LIVE TO TELL Lucrezia
86 119 -- MORE THAN A WOMAN Aaliyah
87 122 -- THREE TIMES A LADY A-1
88 124 -- CLUB BIZARRE Brooklyn Bounce
89 124 -- DANCING WITH LONELINESS Schiller
90 ---- --- WONDERFUL DREAM (HOLIDAYS ARE COMING) Melanie Thornton
91 ---- --- EVERY TIME I CLOSE MY EYES Vanessa Amorosi
92 ---- --- JEANNY Reamonn featuring Xavier Naidoo
93 ---- --- KALINKA Yamboo
94 ---- --- HOW IT'S GOT TO BE Jeanette Biedermann
95 ---- --- PLANET OF LOVE Belle Perez
96 ---- --- US AGAINST THE WORLD Play
97 ---- --- NEVER ENDING STORY Creamy
98 ---- --- PRETENDER GOT MY HEART Alisha's Attic
99 ---- --- YOU WIN AGAIN B3
100 -- --- THE LAND OF MAKE-BELIEVE AllStars

Last edited by CZB on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CZB
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 am

Venus and Mars and Silver Screen Shower Scene were both great singles that should have been bigger.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tiger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 pm

These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't think I'd heard Dario G's "Say What's On Your Mind" before. I liked their first album (though wasn't too keen on the big hit Sunchyme) but never really liked the stuff that came in this decade. It's an OK song, though.

I liked Ian Van Dahl! "Will I" was released as a double A-side in Australia in 2002, where I picked it up, so although I was familiar with "Will I" from Europe the previous year, I've always come to associate the two together. There's a cracking Lange remix of "Reason" on the single.

I'll always associate "Whenever, Wherever" with my arrival in Australia - it was one of the big hits over there shortly after I arrived. But of Shakira's hits from that album, I've always somewhat preferred "Underneath Your Clothes".

Fragma's "You Are Alive" is, in my opinion, their last really good single. I've always thought it would have been even better with a stronger vocalist. But it's a great track, with a great buildup from a somewhat serious verse to a joyous chorus.

Although I didn't know Kate Ryan back in 2001, "Scream For More/Mon Coeur Resiste Encore" would later become a favourite. I think I'm correct in saying it was the only single of hers to be released (properly) in the UK?

"Rapture" was another big favourite of mine - and again, a single I picked up in Australia, the only place that I know of where the sublime Creamer & Stephane K remix was released on CD.

ATB's "Let U Go" is a fantastic track. It's such a shame that he only had such a brief period of success in the UK - and not even with his best tracks.

Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" is nothing short of a pop-culture milestone in my book...I can even remember the first time I saw (just a glimpse) of the video, from the street, on a big screen in a bar that I happened to be passing.

I never even knew Ratty released anything other than "Sunrise (Here I Am)" - on first listen, it's not a bad track! Is it somehow related to the Pakito track of the same name?

I liked DJ Sakin's 1998 releases - I've never heard "Miami" before, though. It seems to be missing some of the magic of the UK hits.

I was such a Naimee Coleman fan back in the day - I was lucky enough to meet her a few times, and get everything I had of hers signed, and to get on the guest list for a few of her shows around this time. You've managed to get the link for My Star mixed up with Enya's "May It Be", by the way.

That Enya track is one of my favourites, and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a huge Enya fan!

I'm absolutely astounded to see Lucrezia on your list! I can't for the life of me remember where or how I discovered the track, but it may have been on holidays (where was it a hit? Spain, perhaps? Or her native Italy?). It's the best Madonna cover I've ever heard. I managed to order the single from the US, and when I was in Spain I found another single of hers - Lookin' 4 Love - the video for which I'm watching now for the very first time.
By the way, the actual video for Live To Tell is on YouTube.

I've always enjoyed Brooklyn Bounce - did they ever record an original track, I wonder? I know them best for their cover of The Music's Got Me.

Schiller is, as you probably know, a huge favourite of mine, but I lost sight of him after his brief UK visibility with "Ruhe" and didn't discover the rest of his work until a few years ago.

I knew Melanie Thornton had a big hit with "Wonderful Dream" in Germany - I believe it was used in Coca Cola's Christmas ads in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Shame that she died so tragically!

Another great stroll down memory lane there - thanks!!!
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 pm

06 02 11 SOMETHING Lasgo
13 04 12 MISSY QUEEN'S GONNA DIE Tok Tok vs Soffy O
18 08 09 FORGIVEN Sylver
21 03 08 YOU ARE ALIVE Fragma
28 14 08 INSANITY Culture Beat
37 07 06 CHILDREN 4 Clubbers
40 15 05 SAY THAT YOU'RE HERE Fragma
41 17 06 RAPTURE Iio
44 24 06 LET U GO ATB
45 21 05 CATCH YOU Bell, Book and Candle
46 26 06 4 O'CLOCK (IN THE MORNING) Lazard
47 24 05 HOLD YOU ATB
48 25 04 INTO THE SEA C.J. Stone
49 23 04 LET'S TALK ABOUT A MAN Prezioso
55 32 04 POSSESSION Transfer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!
57 34 03 INFECTED Barthezz ##
61 81 ---- ON THE MOVE Barthezz

67 100 -- SILVER SCREEN SHOWER SCENE Felix Da Housecat
76 109 -- I WOULD DIE FOR YOU Antique
82 115 -- MAY IT BE Enya
86 119 -- MORE THAN A WOMAN Aaliyah
88 124 -- CLUB BIZARRE Brooklyn Bounce
89 124 -- DANCING WITH LONELINESS Schiller
90 ---- --- WONDERFUL DREAM (HOLIDAYS ARE COMING) Melanie Thornton

what a fantastic chart!! I love you for charting "Possession". Marvelous track!! Well done!
jszmiles
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

jszmiles wrote:I love you for charting "Possession". Marvelous track!! Well done!
Indeed - I skipped over this when looking through the list tonight, though it did cross my mind that it may be a Sarah McLachlan cover. And sure enough, when Kuba comments on it, it must be!

I've never heard this version before, and it's amazing! Nothing will ever top the original, which is one of my all-time favourite Sarah McLachlan tracks, but this cover is fantastic! Great video, too!

There's a tragic story behind the song, by the way, in case you didn't know. Sarah was sued by an obsessed fan, who claimed that the song was based on "love letters" that he had sent her. The case was never heard, though, as the guy committed suicide after several frustrated attempts to get in touch with her. Sarah has spoken about the affair, and said that writing the song was "therapeutic" in light of the attention and letters she had been receiving from crazed fans.
Last edited by irishguy28 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 pm

^yeap yeap. I've randomly find it out after it's debut high around #60 in UK chart. Then I've found it's cover of marvelous Sarah's track. Yeap yeap, I should dig out more Transfer's tracks if there are any... :wink:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 pm

jszmiles wrote:I've randomly find it out after it's debut high around #60 in UK chart. Then I've found it's cover of marvelous Sarah's track.
How did I miss it? It was released on Multiply in the UK, and indeed made #54 there. And it was co-produced by Mark Jolley (of Innocence) and Jimmy Gomez (who remixed several of Sunscreem's later singles).

A great discovery!
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

:wink: well done there CZB :D
jszmiles
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 pm

CZB wrote:How many 2001 tracks reached the breakers? .....Eighty-nine - so eleven of the best other CD singles I bought from that year have made up the quota. :D
I'd love to see a listing of your entire collection someday - if you habitually buy over 100 singles a year, then it must be massive!

I only managed to keep up such a blistering pace for a few short years - this past year, I think I only bought 41 different new titles on physical format (and perhaps as many again picked up in second-hand stores, which are much older titles), which would be the lowest since the mid 1990s.
irishguy28

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

4 O'CLOCK (IN THE MORNING) Lazard

Another great cover I was only vaguely familiar with before. Love the Beverley Craven original!
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 am

irishguy28 wrote:I don't think I'd heard Dario G's "Say What's On Your Mind" before. I liked their first album (though wasn't too keen on the big hit Sunchyme) but never really liked the stuff that came in this decade. It's an OK song, though.
I’m fairly sure that it was meant to be the follow-up to “Dream To Me” in the UK - but for some reason it was never released! However, it was certainly an official single in parts of continental Europe, and was a minor hit in Germany ( 68 82 70 95 91 96 96 95 )

irishguy28 wrote:Although I didn't know Kate Ryan back in 2001, "Scream For More/Mon Coeur Resiste Encore" would later become a favourite. I think I'm correct in saying it was the only single of hers to be released (properly) in the UK?
I had the feeling that something wasn’t quite right with that line - but it was late at night, and somehow I couldn’t see what had gone wrong! :oops: I’ll make a note to correct it.

In the UK, it was a double-A-side with “Desenchantee” - I remember seeing both the CD and 12” single on sale here when released, which was a long time after I had obtained both tracks on their various continental releases. It spent two weeks in the UK top 200 ( 92 135 ).

Although it was rumoured to be getting a UK release (a mostly-English version was even recorded) I don’t think “Ella Elle L’a” ever officially made it - so (unfortunately!) I think you’re right that, so far, nothing else of hers has followed that first not-quite-a-hit here.

irishguy28 wrote:Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" is nothing short of a pop-culture milestone in my book...I can even remember the first time I saw (just a glimpse) of the video, from the street, on a big screen in a bar that I happened to be passing.
I suppose the video was a particularly memorable one - but, with a lowly number 100 peak, quite a long way short of my top 40, I’ve never considered the song as one of my favourites by Kylie. Fifteen of her other releases (mainly much earlier ones) fared much better - several of them reaching my top ten.

irishguy28 wrote:I never even knew Ratty released anything other than "Sunrise (Here I Am)" - on first listen, it's not a bad track! Is it somehow related to the Pakito track of the same name?
It was only some time after writing and posting this commentary that it occurred to me that this was (yet!) another year in which there were a lot of cover versions of earlier releases - indeed, almost a quarter of the top hundred! Ratty’s “Living On Video” is a cover version of the original UK and continental hit of the same name by Trans-X, as is the more recent one by Pakito......and two others (Lazard and the Potatoheadz) also reached the breakers.

irishguy28 wrote:That Enya track is one of my favourites, and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a huge Enya fan! You've managed to get the link for My Star mixed up with Enya's "May It Be", by the way.
Enya had two number ones in my chart - “Only If” and “Only Time” - but, although “May It Be” fell a long way short of my top 40, it entered the German chart at number one! Oops - I accidentally have the “My Star” link on both of those tracks. Thanks - I’ll replace the wrong one with a link to the Enya song.

irishguy28 wrote:I'm absolutely astounded to see Lucrezia on your list! I can't for the life of me remember where or how I discovered the track, but it may have been on holidays (where was it a hit? Spain, perhaps? Or her native Italy?). It's the best Madonna cover I've ever heard. I managed to order the single from the US, and when I was in Spain I found another single of hers - Lookin' 4 Love - the video for which I'm watching now for the very first time.
I’m not sure, but I think I originally bought a 12” of this at a record fair without having previously heard it - because it was very cheap, but was clearly a cover version of a Madonna song I liked! I later got the CD single from Germany - equally cheaply, I think - but it might not have been released there, nor in many other countries either. The only chart success I can see for it anywhere is that it spent one week at number 48 in Italy.

“Lookin’ 4 Love” is currently one place below “Live To Tell” in my overall ranking - they’re at 3453 and 3454! - purely on alphabetical order by title, as they both peaked at 117. I have (hopefully correctly) “Lookin’ 4 Love” in 2000 - a year which I haven’t yet featured here, but no doubt will later on in 2011 - but it was a year in which an exceptionally high number of tracks reached the breakers, so that one will actually miss the top 100 of the year by quite a long way!

irishguy28 wrote:Schiller is, as you probably know, a huge favourite of mine, but I lost sight of him after his brief UK visibility with "Ruhe" and didn't discover the rest of his work until a few years ago.
I had the feeling that I had seen a few Schiller tracks in your charts, and in Kuba’s - but maybe not in many others‘! That’s the only one I’ve ever bought, though.

irishguy28 wrote:I've always enjoyed Brooklyn Bounce - did they ever record an original track, I wonder? I know them best for their cover of The Music's Got Me.
They had quite a few continental hits - although I’m not sure whether any were all their own work..... Again, “Club Bizarre” was the only one I ever (slightly) liked.

jszmiles wrote:55 32 04 POSSESSION Transfer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

what a fantastic chart!! I love you for charting "Possession". Marvelous track!! Well done!

I've randomly find it out after it's debut high around #60 in UK chart. Then I've found it's cover of marvelous Sarah's track.
Thanks! I remember originally hearing this, and seeing the video, on a UK television programme ahead of its release, although I’ve no idea which one. It had two weeks in the UK chart ( 54 83 ) at a time when exclusion rules unfortunately meant that a lot of tracks would disappear after just two weeks, even if they continued to sell for a bit longer - but it did rather better in Belgium (49 47 45 35 27 30 32 43). However, the only other country in which I’m aware that it charted at all is France (85 98 98 ) - so it’s possible that wasn’t even released as a single in (m)any other territories.

irishguy28 wrote:There's a tragic story behind the song, by the way, in case you didn't know. Sarah was sued by an obsessed fan, who claimed that the song was based on "love letters" that he had sent her. The case was never heard, though, as the guy committed suicide after several frustrated attempts to get in touch with her. Sarah has spoken about the affair, and said that writing the song was "therapeutic" in light of the attention and letters she had been receiving from crazed fans.
Until I read yours and Kuba’s posts about this track just now, I didn’t even know it was a cover version of a Sarah McLachlan song!!! :oops: :oops:
CZB
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 am

Yes, it occurred to me that - even for you - there appeared to be a huge number of cover versions in 2001's rundown!

As for Lucrezia - you're right, Lookin' 4 Love came out in 2000 (so it was already quite old before I found my copy).

You're right about Kate Ryan's "Ella, Elle L'A" supposedly getting a release in the UK - there was much excited talk here on UKMIx at the time, which was quite a while after Eurovision as I recall - but of course (as seems to be frequently the case with Kate), it all came to naught!
She's not done all that badly on the UK club charts down through the years, so it's strange that no-one ever took a chance on releasing any other singles of hers. One of her Swedish producers, Niklas Kings, used to post here a number of years ago, mostly to big-up his own productions, including Kate Ryan. I think it was most likely "Ella, Elle L'A" that was the subject of some heated debate - him wagering anything that it would become a UK hit, and me saying that it would never even be released in the UK. It led on to a bit of piss-taking at Kate's reliance on covers - Kings opened a thread asking for suggestions for covers, and I suggested covering Nena's 99 Luftballons as "Quatre-Vingt-Dix-Neuf Montgolfières" :oops:

I must try and find those posts again....

Edit: here
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 am

irishguy28 wrote:
There's a tragic story behind the song, by the way, in case you didn't know. Sarah was sued by an obsessed fan, who claimed that the song was based on "love letters" that he had sent her. The case was never heard, though, as the guy committed suicide after several frustrated attempts to get in touch with her. Sarah has spoken about the affair, and said that writing the song was "therapeutic" in light of the attention and letters she had been receiving from crazed fans.
:o wow, I didn't know that.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 am

Yeah, it's really quite a dark, sinister song. The "intimacy" of the chorus is tinged with an unmistakable brutality, which, taken together with the title, suggests that the object of the protagonist's desire is an unwilling recipient of such attention.
irishguy28

Postby CZB » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm

I have now corrected the errors I made in numbers 29 and 82 of the 2001 top 100, on the previous page. As always, if anyone ever spots anything else that is wrong, don't hesitate to mention it - even if (indeed, especially if!) it's a track that really ought to be moved to an earlier year!

irishguy28 wrote:4 O'CLOCK (IN THE MORNING) Lazard

Another great cover I was only vaguely familiar with before. Love the Beverley Craven original!
So do I. I've never understood why - but Beverley Craven's "Promise Me" originally charted in Ireland several months before it was released in the UK.....which means that it will be appearing, in a suitably high position, in the very next retro chart due to be featured here - in about a week's time! :D

irishguy28 wrote:I'd love to see a listing of your entire collection someday - if you habitually buy over 100 singles a year, then it must be massive!

I only managed to keep up such a blistering pace for a few short years - this past year, I think I only bought 41 different new titles on physical format (and perhaps as many again picked up in second-hand stores, which are much older titles), which would be the lowest since the mid 1990s.
Although I have almost never bought more than about two or three singles a week, it certainly does mount up - to, as you say, usually a little over 100 per year. And, as I first bought a record in mid-1978, getting on for 33 years ago, the grand total is indeed getting huge!

I have the impression that, like you, I have been buying fewer CDs and records recently (partly as they are beginning to become more difficult to obtain, with some companies increasingly reluctant to release physical product). However, I don't really have the full statistics available to confirm or deny this - as a lot of my more impulsive buys (over 1000 singles that were very cheap, or were by artists that had impressed me previously, or were cover versions of songs I already liked, or were otherwise interesting for some reason - television theme tunes, for example) that didn't reach my monthly charts, or even the breakers, aren't yet allocated to years in my summary spreadsheets. Of course, I have already had to dip into these to complete top 100s for some of the years - including 2001, and others from that decade - as there haven't always been as many as 100 breakers in a year!

I was going to post a more detailed table of how the years have varied - but I couldn't easily get it into a legible format that would post correctly..... and then, on closer inspection, I realised it was not quite up-to-date, and still clearly had quite a few errors. But, extracting (and rounding/approximating) just the main details, it's at least clear that fewer tracks are reaching my monthly chart nowadays than previously:

1970s and earlier - 200+
1980s - 900+
1990s - 700+
2000s - 600+ (including 26 so far from 2010)

Total hits to date: 2,469

The total number of tracks reaching the breakers (or "assumed" to have done so in the earliest years), including the hits:

1970s and earlier - 400+
1980s - 1000+
1990s - 1250+
2000s - nearly 1000
2010 - 53 so far

Total breakers to date: over 3,700

So, adding in the 1000+ non-breakers mentioned above, the total number of singles I have bought is by now well on the way towards 5,000..... Maybe, when it actually gets to that point - probably in about a couple more years' time! - I should attempt a "CZB 5000" ?!

CZB
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:24 pm

CZB wrote:I have now corrected the errors I made in numbers 29 and 82 of the 2001 top 100, on the previous page.
The problem wasn´t with #82, but with #80!

CZB wrote:So do I. I've never understood why - but Beverley Craven's "Promise Me" originally charted in Ireland several months before it was released in the UK.....which means that it will be appearing, in a suitably high position, in the very next retro chart due to be featured here - in about a week's time! :D
I just assumed that it became a hit at the time of first release in Ireland, but needed a second attempt to get noticed in the UK. Regardless, it became a hit in the end. But it´s a beautiful track.

CZB wrote:Although I have almost never bought more than about two or three singles a week, it certainly does mount up - to, as you say, usually a little over 100 per year. And, as I first bought a record in mid-1978, getting on for 33 years ago, the grand total is indeed getting huge!

<snip>

So, adding in the 1000+ non-breakers mentioned above, the total number of singles I have bought is by now well on the way towards 5,000..... Maybe, when it actually gets to that point - probably in about a couple more years' time! - I should attempt a "CZB 5000" ?! [b]

I´m in Germany at the moment, and have just picked up another handful of singles (Germany is great in that there is still a reason for the record companies to release CD singles, as you know - long may it continue! Even if they typically are only 2-track discs for a very pricey €3.99).

Your Top 5000 of all time would be a mighty undertaking (but I´m sure it would be an incredibly popular thread on here).
irishguy28

Postby Benny » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:52 pm

CZB wrote:CZB'S TOP HUNDRED OF 2001

01 02 14 SAY WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND Dario G
02 02 10 AIN'T IT FUNNY Jennifer Lopez ##
06 02 11 SOMETHING Lasgo
11 02 10 UNDERNEATH YOUR CLOTHES Shakira ##
12 02 10 OBJECTION (TANGO) Shakira
15 13 12 FROM SARAH WITH LOVE Sarah Connor ##
18 08 09 FORGIVEN Sylver
19 03 08 FOREVER IN LOVE Sylver
52 28 04 THERE YOU'LL BE Faith Hill
81 114 -- YOU ARE Atomic Kitten
82 115 -- MAY IT BE Enya
94 ---- --- HOW IT'S GOT TO BE Jeanette Biedermann

For me, the best ones are Kylie, Shakira, Lighthouse Family & Faith Hill.
Benny
Legend

Postby CZB » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:29 pm

irishguy28 wrote:I´m in Germany at the moment, and have just picked up another handful of singles (Germany is great in that there is still a reason for the record companies to release CD singles, as you know - long may it continue!
Yes indeed - let's hope so. I get a significant proportion of my CD singles from Germany nowadays!

irishguy28 wrote:Beverley Craven's "Promise Me"....I just assumed that it became a hit at the time of first release in Ireland, but needed a second attempt to get noticed in the UK.
It first entered the Irish charts at the end of August 1990 - so I would have certainly picked up a copy if I had found one in any of my regular trawls through the new release sections or bargain bins (especially for reasons to be revealed in the next retro chart commentary!) in the last third of that year. But I didn't at that time - I couldn't get one until 1991.

However, this Wikipedia page would seem to confirm that your theory is correct - and, according to that, "Promise Me" was the first of four UK singles released in 1990, all of which then flopped, although three of them charted on re-release in 1991. So - unless it was not stocked in the shops I visited - the first release of "Promise Me" had most likely been and gone before I even started to look out for it.

I never realised that this, and "Holding On", and "Woman To Woman", all needed a second release to become hits in the UK! (Or, indeed, that Beverley Craven is almost exactly one year older than me - I thought she was a bit younger.....)

irishguy28 wrote:The problem wasn´t with #82, but with #80!
:oops: :oops: :oops: Oh dear.....HOW could I have not spotted that I was replacing an already-correct link with the same correct link, also incorrectly shown a couple of lines higher?!?! :roll: I have finally corrected the other link for "My Star" at number 80 now, I hope! :D
CZB
Legend

Postby francisplaiy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 pm

CZB wrote:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP HUNDRED OF 1983 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01 01 18 RONDO RUSSO (FLUTE CONCERTO IN E MINOR) Berdien Stenberg
04 04 12 HOCUS POCUS Vanessa ##
10 07 11 DON'T GIVE UP Dolly Dots
14 07 09 LIVING ON VIDEO Trans X
27 07 09 LOVE ME JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE Dolly Dots
30 03 07 GUARDIAN ANGEL Masquerade
32 03 07 THEY DON'T KNOW Tracey Ullman
35 05 06 CODO Doef
39 11 07 HAPPY STATION Fun Fun
40 20 07 LISTEN TO THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN VOICE Time Bandits
46 07 07 LA DI DA Vanessa
56 23 07 99 LUFTBALLONS Nena
59 18 06 MOONLIGHT SHADOW Mike Oldfield
60 20 04 SEARCHIN' (I GOTTA FIND A MAN) Hazell Dean
64 19 03 I LIKE CHOPIN Gazebo
65 15 04 LOVE ISN'T LOVE Carola
72 19 06 NEVER NEVER Assembly
74 20 09 BLUE MONDAY New Order
75 19 08 JULIET Robin Gibb
76 34 07 SO MANY MEN, SO LITTLE TIME Miquel Brown
79 20 03 THE HEAT IS ON Agnetha Faltskog
85 41 03 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Bonnie Tyler
94 39 03 WRAP YOUR ARMS AROUND ME Agnetha Faltskog
99 50 01 OBSESSION Vanessa
100 50 01 RELAX Frankie Goes To Hollywood
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1983 is one of the best years in music history,
giving us wonderful songs and great memories.
Looking over and over again to your Top100
is learning that you have a nice balance of
the hits of that year,also favourites of mine.
What a fantastic year it was...
francisplaiy
Manager

Postby Marius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am

CZB wrote: Maybe, when it actually gets to that point - probably in about a couple more years' time! - I should attempt a "CZB 5000" ?!
Now that'd be a great idea!
I want to marry all 3 Serebro chicks
Marius
Legend

Postby CZB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 am

Well, I accidentally dropped another clanger at the beginning of the month, regarding the clue to the mystery year for January's second retro chart.....

I wrote:Milk and Sugar previously revived John Paul Young’s “Love Is In The Air” - and could do likewise with the former number one by Vaya Con Dios, “Nah Neh Nah”
Whereas, in the previous draft of that commentary, I wrote:Milk and Sugar previously revived John Paul Young’s “Love Is In The Air” - and could do likewise with the former number one by Vaya Con Dios from 1990, “Nah Neh Nah”
So, the mention of the year disappeared completely from the final posting - but it's 1990. Which was, for me, a year of two halves! From January until June, I was working excessively long hours (a total of over three hundred in February alone, I remember - and I don't think it was much less than that in some of the others) securing the last promotion I would ever achieve. However, this arguably depended upon - and certainly coincided with - my agreeing to a six-month secondment to London from July to December. Luckily, that was in a role which, in complete contrast, there was absolutely no overtime, and not even any travel out of the office. So I was regularly able to visit other record shops in the centre of the capital on whatever were the late night shopping days, including a huge branch of HMV! - as well as the usual ones at home, to which I returned on most of the weekends. And while I was home, I picked up cassette recordings of the week's chart shows of the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands, plus the Europarade, to take back to London - those from weekdays depending on several radio cassette recorders and timer-switches, which I would set up with more tapes for the next week. In my absence, my parents or my sister then only had to switch each one on at the wall-socket on the appropriate morning - as on more infrequent earlier occasions when I was working away. Those timer-switches proved extremely handy in enabling me to still hear all the chart-shows (barring the occasional recording failure!) over the seven years or so during which I was working (more than) full-time.

It may be that CD singles and/or albums had begun to become available at this point in other countries - although I don't remember seeing any, even in London, back then. And It wouldn't be until 1993 that I bought any. However, the 7" single continued to be a popular format across most of Europe, while 12" single releases also seemed to be on the increase, and LPs were still plentiful, if either of the other formats proved impossible to track down. So 1990 is possibly the most "complete" year of my music collection. I obtained all of my top hundred of 1990 on CD at various points in the two decades since then - having already bought, mostly at the time, ninety-five on 7" single (all except numbers 25, 42, 43, 44 and 80), and ninety-five on 12" single or LP (all except numbers 24, 27, 29, 78 and 80). In Ireland, however, I gather that the cassette single had inexplicably taken off in a big way.....indeed, my number 80 track of the year was a number one there on that format alone, with no vinyl edition at all. That latter disappointment for me was, unfortunately, a sign of things to come in the years ahead.....

Despite the relative ease of availability of physical formats of my favourite tracks of twenty-one years ago, there are rather more that are now nowhere to be seen on YouTube, compared with other surrounding and more recent years. Nine are, unfortunately, not there - but I had to admit total defeat only with four of them (numbers 43, 44, 77 and 78 - and the last of those is a song that also appears in another version much higher up). The other five are more well-known compositions - indeed, all but one of them had previously reached my chart, or at least the breakers, for other acts. And there is quite a choice of alternative versions of them available on YouTube - so, just this once, and to fill the usual six hours today, I have included substitutes for these five. For the two instrumentals at numbers 16 and 42, I think I have found reasonably close approximations for what should really be there. But, in complete contrast, special guest singers - all of whom have reached the top end of my chart at least once in more recent years with other singles - are filling in for the other unavailable (and, for the majority of readers, probably unheard-of) acts at numbers 19, 46 and 94..... I hadn't heard any of these very different interpretations before today - though I found them all quite "interesting" in their own way! - and the same can be said for the German version I have included for the track at number 58.

So, without further ado, here is the complete countdown of my top hundred of 1990:

How many 1990 tracks reached my monthly chart? .....Seventy-seven - so twenty-three of the best breakers and other singles I bought from that year have made up the quota.

How many reached the top ten? .....Twenty-nine - including two entries from the Eurovision Song Contest, a few chart-toppers from the UK or other countries, and the only George Michael track I've ever liked!

How many went all the way to number one? .....Only four - and one of those didn't get there until seventeen years later, at about the point at which I first began this thread!

And who has two of the top three of the year? .....Well, it's an act whose best work is currently making something of a return to a few continental charts, and may yet spread to others!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP HUNDRED OF 1990 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

01 01 10 NAH NEH NAH Vaya Con Dios
02 01 12 LITTLE SISTER LEAVING TOWN Tanita Tikaram
03 02 09 WHAT'S A WOMAN? Vaya Con Dios
04 02 09 BANDIDO Azucar Moreno ##
05 02 11 TONIGHT New Kids On The Block
06 06 11 A LITTLE TIME The Beautiful South ##
07 02 12 RITMO DE LA NOCHE Mystic ##
08 04 10 A SONG GOES OUT AROUND THE WORLD Egon Egemann
09 03 09 WORKING MAN Rita MacNeil
10 07 10 HEAL THE PAIN George Michael
11 03 09 PROMISE ME Beverley Craven
12 08 11 HOW TO DANCE Bingo Boys featuring Princessa
13 08 12 KING OF THE ROAD Proclaimers
14 01 07 BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL They Might Be Giants ##
15 08 10 ALTOGETHER NOW Farm
16 04 08 THE CAN CAN Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers
17 04 07 MY SMILE WILL BE YOUR SHADOW Marianne Rosenberg

18 05 09 I USETA LOVER Saw Doctors
19 07 10 YES SIR, I CAN BOOGIE Raffaella [ Sung here by SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR ]
20 02 07 JEALOUSY Pet Shop Boys
21 06 07 BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
22 07 08 SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
23 14 09 MOOI WAS DIE TIJD Corry Konings
24 12 09 LA CUMBIA Sailor
25 01 09 GOODBYE BZN ##
26 05 06 INFINITY (1990's TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
27 04 07 EMMERDALE SUITE Woodlands Orchestra
28 05 07 FROM A DISTANCE Bette Midler
29 16 07 VERGEET M'N NAAM Corry Konings
30 09 08 THE GREASE MEGAMIX John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John ##
31 19 09 HANKY PANKY Madonna
32 07 07 CRAZY FOR YOU David Hasselhoff

33 15 07 RITMO DE LA NOCHE Lorca
34 11 07 CLOSE ENCOUNTERS / DAAR GAAT ZE Clouseau
35 16 06 CRYING IN THE RAIN Aha
36 13 06 STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Candy Flip
37 14 06 SOMEWHERE IN EUROPE Liam Reilly
38 16 07 RHYTHM OF THE RAIN Jason Donovan
39 17 07 HELP ME BZN
40 18 08 WHERE DOES MY HEART BEAT NOW? Celine Dion
41 18 05 NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU Sinead O'Connor
42 04 04 ANDANTE "ELVIRA MADIGAN" London Philharmonia / Berdien Stenberg ##
43 11 04 THE MYTHMAKERS THEME Mark Ayres ##
44 12 04 I MYTH YOU Mark Ayres
45 30 06 FRENTE A FRENTE Chico et Roberta
46 25 06 IT'S ALL OVER NOW, BABY BLUE Dreadful Great [ Sung here by MARIANNE FAITHFULL ]
47 21 05 INSIEME 1992 Toto Cutugno
48 30 07 BECAUSE I LOVE YOU Stevie B
49 18 05 ANOTHER NIGHT Jason Donovan

50 18 05 DU SAGST DU LIEBST MICH Sound Convoy
51 29 05 MORE THAN WORDS Extreme
52 32 04 TEARS ON MY PILLOW Kylie Minogue
53 35 05 WE ALMOST GOT IT TOGETHER Tanita Tikaram
54 32 06 WOMAN TO WOMAN Beverley Craven
55 31 04 SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
56 40 07 SADENESS Enigma
57 41 06 RELEASE ME Wilson Phillips
58 42 04 YOU'RE IN LOVE Wilson Phillips
59 43 04 HITCHIN' A RIDE Sinitta
60 41 03 DING DONG Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung
61 44 03 SOMMER SOMMER (YEPPA) BZN
62 39 01 OVER THE HILLS BZN
63 41 02 SUMMERS MAGIC Mark Summers
64 42 03 RITMO DE LA NOCHE Chocolate

65 36 03 IT'S ON YOU MC Sar and the Real McCoy
66 41 02 KISSING GATE Sam Brown
67 42 02 WHOSE LAW IS IT ANYWAY? Guru Josh
68 49 04 HOLDING ON Beverley Craven
69 41 03 THE GREAT SONG OF INDIFFERENCE Bob Geldof
70 44 02 ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI Bombalurina
71 50 04 END OF THE WORLD Sonia
72 44 02 MINDWORKS Sam Brown
73 48 01 CAN CAN YOU PARTY Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers
74 50 02 RIVERS OF BELIEF Enigma
75 48 01 LA COLEGIALA Sandra Reemer
76 50 01 SAXUALITY Candy Dulfer
77 50 01 WETTEN DASS Mara Laurien
78 --- ---- WORKING MAN Kathy Durkin
79 --- ---- VERDAMMT, ICH LIEB' DICH Matthias Reim
80 --- ---- THE BY ROAD TO GLENROE Mick Lalley
81 --- ---- FOOTSTEPS FOLLOWING ME Frances Nero
82 --- ---- THE LUV HIT-MEDLEY / MEGAMIX Luv'
83 --- ---- ONE MORE TRY Timmy T

84 --- ---- NOTHING COMPARES 2U MXM
85 --- ---- SAMURAI Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung
86 --- ---- DON'T WORRY Kim Appleby
87 --- ---- GET HERE Oleta Adams
88 --- ---- I CAN'T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood
89 --- ---- I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
90 --- ---- A BETTER LOVE Londonbeat
91 --- ---- ICE ICE BABY Vanilla Ice
92 --- ---- SEVEN LITTLE GIRLS (SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT) Bombalurina
93 --- ---- ARE YOU DREAMING Twenty 4 Seven
94 --- ---- HEART OF GLASS Anneka Larsen [ Sung here by LILY ALLEN ]
95 --- ---- CAN'T HELP MYSELF 2 Brothers On The Fourth Floor
96 --- ---- LA SERENISSIMA DNA
97 --- ---- NIGHT OWLS Vaya Con Dios
98 --- ---- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Julian Lloyd Webber
99 --- ---- VARIATIONS 1-4 Julian Lloyd Webber
100 -- ---- THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG (IT'S IN HIS KISS) Cher

[ Corrected 24/01/2011 - CALM THE RAGE Terry Ronald drops out, and more than half the tracks move down a place, as the number 48 was accidentally omitted! ]

[ Corrected again 16/08/2011 - MISS OTIS REGRETS Kirsty MacColl and the Pogues, JUST SAY HELLO Rene Froger and KuSSE DER NACHT Andrea Jurgens drop out, and everything that was at 24 or lower moves down to accomodate the numbers 24, 29 and 58 that were previously also accidentally omitted! ]
Last edited by CZB on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:10 pm

CZB wrote: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CZB'S TOP HUNDRED OF 1990 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

01 01 10 NAH NEH NAH Vaya Con Dios
02 01 12 LITTLE SISTER LEAVING TOWN Tanita Tikaram
03 02 09 WHAT'S A WOMAN? Vaya Con Dios
06 06 11 A LITTLE TIME The Beautiful South
16 04 08 THE CAN CAN Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers
22 07 08 SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
25 05 06 INFINITY (1990's TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
27 05 07 FROM A DISTANCE Bette Midler
28 09 08 THE GREASE MEGAMIX John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John ##
29 19 09 HANKY PANKY Madonna
33 16 06 CRYING IN THE RAIN Aha
36 16 07 RHYTHM OF THE RAIN Jason Donovan
38 18 08 WHERE DOES MY HEART BEAT NOW? Celine Dion
39 18 05 NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU Sinead O'Connor
46 30 07 BECAUSE I LOVE YOU Stevie B
48 29 05 MORE THAN WORDS Extreme
53 40 07 SADENESS Enigma
75 --- ---- VERDAMMT, ICH LIEB' DICH Matthias Reim
79 --- ---- ONE MORE TRY Timmy T
82 --- ---- DON'T WORRY Kim Appleby
84 --- ---- I CAN'T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood
85 --- ---- I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
96 --- ---- THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG (IT'S IN HIS KISS) Cher

1990 was a great year, many classics in your list, even "Verdammt ich lieb Dich" by Matthias Reim, one of the longest running number 1 singles ever in Germany.
Benny
Legend

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Vaya Con Dios is turning up everywhere lately! Lol.

I have to say, though - having become aware of the Milk & Sugar remix before hearing the original of "Hey", I find the original a bit slow and plodding in comparison!

Bandido was one of the best Eurovision tracks of the 90s. And that mix-up at the start of their performance! Very funny. I wonder why you didn't show their ESC performance, or the actual video?

I always found NKOTB's "Tonight" a bit slow and plodding, too - not their best.

I know the track "Ritmo de la Noche", as it got quite a bit of play on 2FM, particularly by Tony Fenton - though if it was actually in 1990 or not, I can't remember. And it wasn't this Mystic version - if I remember correctly, the version played was by BabyO or something like that...So this Mystic was an early Simon Cowell artist? OMG!!! Come back Sinitta, all is forgiven! I also don't know the versions by Lorca or Chocolate.
(Edit: Here's the version I know from the radio, by Baby O. It's a "meatier" sounding production)

I didn't particularly like Rita MacNeill's "Working Man" at the time, though I did appreciate that it was a good and nice song. It has grown on me a lot in the intervening time. And of course I also know Kathy Durkan's cover.

We spoke recently about Beverley Craven's "Promise Me" - good to see it so high. It was my #15 of 1990, and #57 of 1991. I should perhaps have charted it higher. Great song, and she has a lovely voice. I read recently on her Wikipedia entry that she had a brush with breast cancer, but am glad to report she beat it. I also loved "Woman To Woman" and "Holding On".

"How to Dance" was another track I heard quite often on 2FM, but it never became a hit in Ireland!

3 great songs back to back - Proclaimers, They Might Be Giants, and particularly The Farm (my #17 of 1990, with Groovy Train at #40). I'd love to be able to go back in time and experience the Manchester scene of 1989/1990! Or even to just have visited the Hacienda once, before its demise.

The Saw Doctors! What a huge hit that was! My sister bought the single - on cassette, naturally. Interesting how you noted that you didn't notice any CD singles back in 1990, even in London. 1990 was the year when I really began following the charts religiously, having been confined to bed with flu over the Christmas holidays in 1989, and hearing the Top 100 of the 1980s being broadcast on BBC Radio 1 (back in the days when it was still on Medium Wave and could easily be picked up all over Ireland). Between that and the other various decade and annual countdowns (which were in abundance that year, as licensed local radio had only just launched during 1989 - my new local station, Radio South, broadcast their own Top 50 of the decade later on New Year's Eve, with positions 41-50 populated with what was obviously their own choice of what should be included, but the Top 40 identical to what had gone out on BBC Radio One earlier in the day. I noted all of them down, I must try and dig them out next time I'm at home). In my experience, the major format in Ireland was overwhelmingly cassette, and all of my purchases up until 1995 would be on cassette, with the occasional vinyl when only a 7" was available.

Kylie's "Better The Devil You Know" is far and away my favourite track of hers, and in my opinion, the best S/A/W production, hands down. It was my #7 of the year, and it should have been a Number 1 in both the UK and Ireland, but shockingly wasn't! Looking back, it's somewhat strange to consider that she had only a solitary week at Number 1 in the UK in all of the 1990s, and that was with the rather feeble "Tears On My Pillow".

Maria McKee's "Show Me Heaven" was a good track, though I hated the movie it appeared in. It only made #89 on my year-end chart. At the time, Maria was living on Casimir Avenue in Harold's Cross in Dublin, a street where friends of mine from college would live some years later after college (and long after she'd moved on).

I loved Guru Josh's "1990", much more than the recent revival. It only made #90 on my year-end chart, which does look very low. Glad to see you also charted "Whose Law Is It Anyway?"

I liked Bette's version of "From A Distance", but still preferred Nanci Griffith's original from a couple of years earlier, her only Top 10 hit, though she was a frequent visitor to Ireland and often appeared on TV and was regularly played on the radio in the mid-to-late 1980s.

I still remember that Madonna's "Hanky Panky" set a record on my new personal chart (which I started only in 1990) by posting the biggest jump to Number 1 - from Number 10 - though I think it had a lot to do with having won the "I'm Breathless" album on a competition on 2FM. It didn't even make my Top 100 for the year! Madonna was also the first artist to achieve a second Number One on my chart, after the much-more successful Vogue had topped the chart for several weeks. Shame that's missing from your year-end rundown!

I loved Celine Dion's "Where Does My Heart Beat Now", which I picked up on 7" at my local record store when it was a hit in Ireland in 1991. It was my #10 on the 1991 countdown.

It will probably come as no surprise when I say that Sinead's "Nothing Compares 2U" was my #1 of 1990. Enough said.

I haven't heard Stevie B's "Because I Love You" in so, so long. Even at the time, I always thought it sounded a bit weak and feeble with its tinny piano. I had discovered it on the R&R Magazine US Top 40 that used to be broadcast on Radio 1 on Saturday afternoons - but didn't like it much more when it became a Valentine's Day hit on this side of the Atlantic the following year.

Extreme's "More Than Words" was a great song, which I charted in 1991.

I loved Enigma's "Sadeness", which was my #1 of 1991. I loved the MCMXC ad album, and still enjoy their/his work. "Return To Innocence" made #2 on my 1994 countdown. Good to see "Rivers Of Belief" listed too.

"So Hard" has always been a favourite among the PSB's mostly excellent output. Wilson Phillips' "Release Me" was a good song, I was surprised that it didn't do as well over here as in the US.

Our German teacher used to supply us with German magazines, so I was aware of Matthias Reim. I never liked "Verdammt ich lieb Dich" much though - which I heard on the Europarade as broadcast by German station SR1 - though listening to it again now, it's better than I remembered. There was another huge German Number 1 from around that same time that I got to know from the same two sources and that I couldn't stand - Kate Yanai's 'Bacardi Feeling".

Although I loved Glenroe, I couldn't stand Miley's song. Still awful!

Frances Nero's "Footsteps.." was a great song! It only made #97 on my 1991 list though.

Oleta Adams' sublime "Get Here" is shockingly low! It was my #2 for 1991.

DNA's "La Serenissima" is a great track, and I had never seen its video before, so thanks for including it. I had always LOVED the original by Rondo Veneziano, and particularly its video, which I saw many times as a child on TV without knowing what it was, but knowing it was somehow connected to the whole Venice in Peril project. Hearing the DNA track back in 1990 reminded me of something I had long forgotten!

Another great night of reminiscing, thanks!!!
irishguy28

Postby Blondini » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

06 06 11 A LITTLE TIME The Beautiful South
11 03 09 PROMISE ME Beverley Craven
20 02 07 JEALOUSY Pet Shop Boys
25 05 06 INFINITY (1990's TIME FOR THE GURU) Guru Josh
39 18 05 NOTHING COMPARES TO YOU Sinead O'Connor
52 31 04 SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
53 40 07 SADENESS Enigma
59 41 02 SUMMERS MAGIC Mark Summers
82 --- ---- DON'T WORRY Kim Appleby
84 --- ---- I CAN'T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood
87 --- ---- ICE ICE BABY Vanilla Ice
89 --- ---- ARE YOU DREAMING Twenty 4 Seven
92 --- ---- LA SERENISSIMA DNA

26 04 07 EMMERDALE SUITE Woodlands Orchestra
This was a single? :o

97 --- ---- MISS OTIS REGRETS Kirsty MacColl and the Pogues
This was a top 100 UK single in late 1990 - from the AIDS charity Cole Porter covers album Red Hot and Blue. You could have asked Dustin to add it on Retro Charts! It's an interesting album - i've charted U2's awesome version of Night and Day from it, as well as Neneh Cherry's hit I've Got You Under My Skin and the Deborah Harry/ Iggy Pop version of Well Did You Evah! Though i'm not as keen on this song, despite the names involved.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Return to Personal Charts