Jessica Simpson :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

 

Postby thebigham » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:40 pm

I hate to do this, but we should have an offical thread for her.

Jessica Simpson SoundScan Debuts

Do You Know Jessica Simpson...
A Public Affair Jessica Simpson 100,684 #5 9/16/06
In This Skin (Re-Release) Jessica Simpson 159,500 #2 03/20/04
In This Skin Jessica Simpson 64,200 #10 09/06/03
Irresistible Jessica Simpson 120,000 #6 06/23/01
Sweet Kisses Jessica Simpson 45,000 #65 11/27/99

Jessica Simpson RIAA

Sweet Kisses 2xp
Irresistible Gold
In This Skin 3xp
Rejoyce Gold
A Public Affair: Gold

Total: 6.5xp
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55175
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:41 pm

HITS' estimates for next week:

As for yesterday’s releases, Epic/SBMG Nashville’s newest country diva, Jessica Simpson, with the most discussed cleavage in Music City this side of Dolly Parton, is headed for a first-week of around 65-70k for her new Do You Know album.
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55175
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby Loverboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Of course the album will bomb!

Jessica was not designed to be a country artist, just seems ridiculous. Her style is more pop-ish, and songs like "With You" are more apropriated for her.

This album will have the same destiny as Ashlee's "Bittersweet World".
User avatar
Loverboy
Superstar
 
Posts: 7277
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008
Location: Portugal - Vila Nova de Gaia

Postby NothingFails » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Loverboy wrote:Of course the album will bomb!

Jessica was not designed to be a country artist, just seems ridiculous. Her style is more pop-ish, and songs like "With You" are more apropriated for her.
it's so obvious she changed just because she saw Carrie and Taylor Swift's success and figured it's the only way to boost a flopping career. I love the whole "I've always been country" thing when five years ago she was all "Mariah and Celine are my idols, I want to be a great vocalist". It's not the same as Jewel, whose country album seems like a logical progression for her.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby 380sec » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Australia, ARIA:

Singles:

I Think I'm In Love With You - gold (35)
I Wanna Love You Forever - platinum (70k)
Irresistible - gold (35)
Take My Breath Away - gold (35)
With You - platinum (70k)
These Boots Were Made For Walkin' - platinum (70k)

Albums:

In This Skin - platinum (70k)

(she's truly a singles artist in Oz :lol: )
User avatar
380sec
Manager
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007
Location: Sydney

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 pm

I definitely do NOT want to see this thread deteriorate into thoughtless bashing :roll: let's keep in mind the difference between that and constructive criticism, people...

HOT 100 HISTORY:

"I Wanna Love You Forever" = No. 3
"Where You Are" = No. 62
"I Think I'm In Love With You" = No. 21
"Irresistible" = No. 15
"With You" = No. 14
"Take My Breath Away" = No. 20
"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" = No. 14
"A Public Affair" = No. 14
"Come On Over" = No. 65

Top 40 = 7
Top 20 = 6
Top 10 = 1

US iTunes Top 100 Update:

"Remember That" = No. 50
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby NothingFails » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:02 am

phoenix98 wrote:I definitely do NOT want to see this thread deteriorate into thoughtless bashing :roll: let's keep in mind the difference between that and constructive criticism, people...
I don't think it's "bashing". A Public Affair was a massive flop and Jessica saw the success of Carrie and Taylor and wanted some of that for herself, as opposed to Jewel whose sales have been in decline for some time as well, but going country was more logical for her.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 am

But Jessica has made a good quality country album. Her progession might not have been logical but it has worked IMO
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 53064
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am

rundown of her first country (and most recent overall) single "Come On Over"

Billboard Hot 100 = No. 65
Hot Digital Songs = No. 41 (166,839 downloads to date)
Pop 100 = No. 61
Hot Country Songs = No. 18

there's no doubt that "Remember That" will makes its first appearance on the Billboard charts in the coming weeks :)
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby lostprophet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:07 pm

SOUNDSCAN (WEEK ENDING 9/14/08)
4) Jessica Simpson, Do You Know - 65,154

thanks to 2m from Pulse
lostprophet
Manager
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008
Location: macondo

Postby nelson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:33 pm

NothingFails wrote:
Loverboy wrote:Of course the album will bomb!

Jessica was not designed to be a country artist, just seems ridiculous. Her style is more pop-ish, and songs like "With You" are more apropriated for her.
it's so obvious she changed just because she saw Carrie and Taylor Swift's success and figured it's the only way to boost a flopping career. I love the whole "I've always been country" thing when five years ago she was all "Mariah and Celine are my idols, I want to be a great vocalist". It's not the same as Jewel, whose country album seems like a logical progression for her.
The same story as Christina, who changed her style dramatically with every release.
nelson
Legend
 
Posts: 18580
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004

Postby YasmanyLovato » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Anyone by any chance know total worldwide sales? From what I've read and to my knowledge she's sold over 16 Million Albums Worldwide.
YasmanyLovato
Roadie
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013
Location: Homestead, FL.

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:45 pm

"Sweet Kisses" (1999), 1.9 million

"Irresistible" (2001), 755,000

"In This Skin" (2003), 2.9 million

"Rejoyce: The Christmas Album" (2004), 669,000

"A Public Affair" (2006), 300,000

"Do You Know" (2008), 173,000
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby danbarj » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:17 pm

She's had a very decent music career but her last few albums have been miss.

Decent totals though!
I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!
User avatar
danbarj
Chief Navy Grio
 
Posts: 18632
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Postby GetBack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:29 pm

NothingFails wrote:
Loverboy wrote:Of course the album will bomb!

Jessica was not designed to be a country artist, just seems ridiculous. Her style is more pop-ish, and songs like "With You" are more apropriated for her.
it's so obvious she changed just because she saw Carrie and Taylor Swift's success and figured it's the only way to boost a flopping career. I love the whole "I've always been country" thing when five years ago she was all "Mariah and Celine are my idols, I want to be a great vocalist". It's not the same as Jewel, whose country album seems like a logical progression for her.
It's because she was launched as a pop star. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake grew up country too but they will never be embraced if they did country music. Audiences will box and stereotype them according to their brand and genre.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 31061
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:41 pm

danbarj wrote:She's had a very decent music career but her last few albums have been miss.

Decent totals though!
Those totals were from 2009. It's possible they could've increased.
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby Westen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 pm

So she sold around 7,000,000 albums in US, that's really solid

She's probably done with her music career, i doubt she will ever return to it
User avatar
Westen
Legend
 
Posts: 11449
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 pm

She's returning to music. She recently posted a pic of her and Theresa on instagram.
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Controlfreak wrote:"Sweet Kisses" (1999), 1.9 million

"Irresistible" (2001), 755,000

"In This Skin" (2003), 2.9 million

"Rejoyce: The Christmas Album" (2004), 669,000

"A Public Affair" (2006), 300,000

"Do You Know" (2008), 173,000
Most of her albums had terrible sales for their respective years' standards, I mean 700K in 2001? , 300K in 2006? not even 200K in 2008?.

Her only decent ones were "Sweet kisses" and "In this skin", at least she was somehow able to get two multi-platinum records in her run, thats something.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 21241
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:58 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
Controlfreak wrote:"Sweet Kisses" (1999), 1.9 million

"Irresistible" (2001), 755,000

"In This Skin" (2003), 2.9 million

"Rejoyce: The Christmas Album" (2004), 669,000

"A Public Affair" (2006), 300,000

"Do You Know" (2008), 173,000
Most of her albums had terrible sales for their respective years' standards, I mean 700K in 2001? , 300K in 2006? not even 200K in 2008?.

Her only decent ones were "Sweet kisses" and "In this skin", at least she was somehow able to get two multi-platinum records in her run, thats something.
In This Skin was tanking until the re-release in 2004.
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby danbarj » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Hey, everyone's career has hit and misses, even Britney's. Everyone follows their own career paths and, for what hers was, it was certainly decent. And she did score several hit albums and several flops and underperformers.

In This Skin became popular again after her and Nick's show blew up and she THEN re-released it, and it soared!
I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!
User avatar
danbarj
Chief Navy Grio
 
Posts: 18632
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:01 pm

danbarj wrote:In This Skin became popular again after her and Nick's show blew up and she THEN re-released it, and it soared!
!! The singles With You & Take My Breath Away helped too.
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4405
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:06 pm

danbarj wrote: Everyone follows their own career paths and, for what hers was, it was certainly decent.
Most of it was a failure overall, but I agree that having two multi-platinum albums under your belt is definately something decent. So she had her couple of decent / nice moments in the USA and some top 20 hits, its ok. Her music career outside USA is dismal tho.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 21241
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby GetBack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Columbia didn't push her as much internationally. She could have done more ballads and midtempos, I think In This Skin was the right mix for her. Do You Know is actually a brilliant album, but to follow it up after reality shows didn't make people take her seriously.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 31061
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010

Postby danbarj » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
danbarj wrote: Everyone follows their own career paths and, for what hers was, it was certainly decent.
Most of it was a failure overall, but I agree that having two multi-platinum albums under your belt is definately something decent. So she had her couple of decent / nice moments in the USA and some top 20 hits, its ok. Her music career outside USA is dismal tho.
EVERY career - including your faves - has it's ups and downs. Jessica certainly never had the biggest fan fare but pretty good moments through out.

With that said, I think she's prime for a come back and I'm hoping that her label really pushes her, budget and ALL!
I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!
User avatar
danbarj
Chief Navy Grio
 
Posts: 18632
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Return to Artist Chart Analysis