Chantal's Top 100 Bands/Artists (05)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Chantal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:28 pm

I'd been thinking for a while that I wanted to compile a chart of my top bands/artists, so figured that joining this forum was as good a motivation as any! I considered compiling the chart based purely on how much I like the acts at this moment in time, but worried there were too many acts that I just wouldn't be able to choose between. So instead I opted for a kind of mathematical approach!

Here comes the boring maths part should you be curious as to how I compiled this chart...
Last.fm was my main tool of measurement of how much I like an act. I've been using it since January 2005 so it's a good measure of my listening habits over the past 3-4 years. It tells you your 500 most listened to artists, plus your 500 most listened to songs. First off I gave artists points based on how much I've listened to them overall - so first place got 500 points, 2nd place 499, etc etc. Then I gave artists an extra 10 points for each song of theirs that featured in my 500 most listened to songs (as it stood last night!). To then better reflect my listening habits over the years, I relied on my musical purchasing and gave artists 5 points for each CD album of theirs I own (including any duplicates I have of albums! Yes I have multiple copies of some albums), plus 1 point for any other CDs of theirs I own (singles, imports, bootlegs etc).

Overall I think this mathematical approach worked quite well and I'm pleased with the resulting chart. There are a few entries that surprised me and which would have been quite different if I'd done the chart manually (if that's the right word), but hey, it just makes it more interesting!

So what to expect? Aside from Matthew (and Lindz if she's about), you're probably not that familiar with my taste in music. What you can expect from my chart is a lot of 90s music, some 00s music, plus a random smattering of other stuff. There are very few of the usual musical legends though, so don't expect The Beatles or The Rolling Stones - you're more likely to get obscure Welsh bands!!! Not because The Beatles et al didn't produce brilliant music, but just because I don't listen to that much of it on a regular basis. This is the stuff I listen to. I'm expecting quite a few reactions of "who?!??!", but hopefully there'll be enough familiar artists to keep it interesting. And quite possibly some surprising ones too.

Anyway, before kicking it off I'm going to list the acts that sadly didn't quite make it in. I give you numbers 125 - 101:

125. Rufus Wainwright
124. Kylie Minogue
123. Teenage Fanclub
122. Belle & Sebastian
121. Radio Luxembourg
120. Martha Wainwright
119. Giant Drag
118. The Cardigans
117. Placebo
116. Minuteman
115. The Vessels
114. Modest Mouse
113. Kendall Payne
112. Pulco
111. Athlete
110. Gemma Hayes
109. The Research
108. Rhonda Harris
107. Richard James
106. Charlotte Hatherley
105. Yorkie
104. Gruff Rhys
103. Tompaulin
102. Bravecaptain
101. Astrid
Last edited by Chantal on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 94 times in total.
Chantal
Manager

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Shame to see Kylie Minogue and the Cardigans missing out :(

But looking forward to the rest of the list :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Chantal » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 am

100. David Bowie (411 points)

Yes, my top 100 kicks off with David Bowie! I'm slightly ashamed he's not higher up, as he's definitely deserving, but as I don't actually own any of his albums and only one of his songs was in my 500 most listened to (Life On Mars, if you're wondering), then it's actually quite impressive he managed to squeeze his way into the top 100, based purely on how much I've listened to the songs of his I have.

He's an artist I grew up hearing, as both of my parents are fans - my Dad especially. Plus Labyrinth was one of my favourite films growing up!!! He's got a lot of classic songs and he's definitely an artist I always feel I should listen to more by. I've seen him live once, at the Move Festival in Manchester, which was just brilliant. So definitely a deserving entry, if not slightly embarrassingly low!

The maths:
100th place on last.fm chart = 401 points
1 song on last.fm chart = 10 points
Total = 411 points
Chantal
Manager

Postby Marius » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 am

Nice.
Cardiff seems to be a place for UKMIXers with taste...
Marius
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:48 am

125. Rufus Wainwright
123. Teenage Fanclub
122. Belle & Sebastian
118. The Cardigans
117. Placebo
114. Modest Mouse
111. Athlete
110. Gemma Hayes
109. The Research
106. Charlotte Hatherley

and woooo for Bowie, of course 8-)
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 pm

#100 seems kinda low for David Bowie, but good to see such a legend in here nonetheless :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Wayne » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Sad to see the Queen of Pop Kylie Minogue miss out :cry: But good to see a legend such as Bowie in there! :)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Blondini » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Bowie is Bowie. I was gonna use the 'L' word but i don't want to seem unoriginal! :lol:

Nice to see Giant Drag get a mention. Annie Hardy is amazing.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Wow - so you finally did decide to join me in the whole "Top 100 acts ever" thing after all!

125. Rufus Wainwright
Ace, from what I know of him. His version of "Hallelujah" is brilliant, for example.

124. Kylie Minogue
Aye - can't argue, though I managed a top 100 place for her myself.

123. Teenage Fanclub
Never have managed to get into Teenage Fanclub for some reason.

122. Belle & Sebastian
Amazing band. I don't know enough of their stuff really. Who remembers when they beat the likes of Steps and Five to "Best British Newcomer" at the Brits? :lol:

121. Radio Luxembourg
I know you're a fan. I don't know them at all myself though

120. Martha Wainwright
Beating her brother? I don't know much of her work, but John introduced me to one with a rather rude title!

119. Giant Drag
Sorry, on this one even I'M going to say "Who???"

118. The Cardigans
Sorry, not a fan. "Lovefool" was just FAR too overplayed!

117. Placebo
Aye - can't argue!

116. Minuteman
I know the name, and I heard a song once I think.

115. The Vessels
Not that familar, but the name does ring a bell.

114. Modest Mouse
I like what I've heard of them.

113. Kendall Payne
Another I don't even know the name of!

112. Pulco
Nor this one!

111. Athlete
Oh excellent - they did some true classics!

110. Gemma Hayes
Very nice singer, yeah.

109. The Research
Not familiar with them.

108. Rhonda Harris
Or her for that matter.

107. Richard James
Why do I feel this is a solo project of someone from a big name band?

106. Charlotte Hatherley
Now this IS a solo project! Not one I ever really followed though.

105. Yorkie
Oh excellent! :D I'm sure that Lindz will woo this one too if she reads it. Oddly enough, for my love of Space, I never did get round to checking out any of Yorkie's solo stuff!

104. Gruff Rhys
Another solo project! What I heard from him was great!

103. Tompaulin
Don't know this lot at all.

102. Bravecaptain
Or this lot

101. Astrid
Or Astrid - though I know the name.

100. David Bowie
All I can say is "Ouch!" Not just on the grounds of Bowie being an absolute legend, and deserving much more than this, but also because I thought you were a much bigger fan of him than this placing suggests!

Oh, and it's nice to see I'm not the only person who works out an all time artist chart based on a mathematical formula! :lol:
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Chantal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:51 am

matthew_dixon wrote:Who remembers when they beat the likes of Steps and Five to "Best British Newcomer" at the Brits? :lol:
Yes!!! That was hilarious. I wasn't really familiar with them at the time, but I liked the surprise element of them winning.

matthew_dixon wrote:120. Martha Wainwright
Beating her brother? I don't know much of her work, but John introduced me to one with a rather rude title!
Ha ha, BMFA by any chance?? I love that song.

matthew_dixon wrote:119. Giant Drag
Sorry, on this one even I'M going to say "Who???"
*points above* Blondini knows of them! I can't remember how on earth I came across them now - I think they might have popped up on my Amazon recommended list - I discover quite a few bands that way. I think they nearly made top 100 just down to the number of times I've listened to the song 'Kevin Is Gay'. Plus I really like their cover of 'Wicked Game' too.

I'm quite surprised you're not a fan of The Cardigans though. But yeah I suppose Lovefool was played rather a lot.

matthew_dixon wrote:115. The Vessels
Not that familar, but the name does ring a bell.
I only heard of them and got into them because I saw them support The Bluetones once! There's also another band called 'Vessels' (without the 'the'), who I saw support Brett Anderson, but I thought they were rubbish!! The ones with the 'the' are much better IMO!!! :D

matthew_dixon wrote:112. Pulco
Nor this one!
Yeah, that's a pretty obscure one! One of the many solo-projects from former-band-members on that list though. The band being 'Derrero', who have made the Top 100 so will get mentioned later on!

matthew_dixon wrote:108. Rhonda Harris
Or her for that matter.
Hee hee, it's actually a band name - not that that's obvious! They're a Danish band and again I can't remember how on earth I heard of them. It's a shame they didn't make the top 100 actually, they're great!

matthew_dixon wrote:107. Richard James
Why do I feel this is a solo project of someone from a big name band?
Correct!! Well, I'm not sure about 'big name', but relatively I suppose! The band being 'Gorky's Zygotic Mynci', who will appear much later on. Euros Child's solo stuff has made the top 100 too, but sadly Richard just missed out. Although I suppose he's only released the one solo album so far (as far as I know), whereas Euros has managed 3 and has a 4th ready for release too!!

matthew_dixon wrote:104. Gruff Rhys
Another solo project! What I heard from him was great!
Yeah, I was quite surprised he didn't make top 100, but there ya go!

matthew_dixon wrote:102. Bravecaptain
Or this lot
Bravecaptain's Martin Carr, formerly of The Boo Radleys and now doing stuff under his own name :-)

matthew_dixon wrote:Oh, and it's nice to see I'm not the only person who works out an all time artist chart based on a mathematical formula! :lol:
Yeah, you did inspire me on that front! I think I'd have found it too difficult to choose otherwise.
Chantal
Manager

Postby Chantal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 am

99. Fleming & John (413 points)

Yes we've moved into more obscure territory with number 99. Although they might be better known in their native US than in the UK? I'm not really sure. They're a husband and wife team and yes they're actually called Fleming and John. They've just released the 2 albums to date, both in the late 90s. I've just got their first album, 'Delusions Of Grandeur', but clearly I've listened to it quite a bit. I've been meaning to get their 2nd album for a long time, but the list of albums I want to get is always incredibly long, so they haven't lucked out there yet.

I discovered the band in a slightly random way I suppose. I'd recently gotten into Jill Sobule so was downloading some random songs of hers through whichever file sharing program was popular at the time (entirely legally of course...*ahem*). Anyway, I downloaded this one song called 'Ugly Girl', which I really liked, but which didn't actually sound like Jill. After a bit of googling I discovered it was actually by 'Fleming & John', thus sparked my interest in them. 'Ugly Girl' is a rather humorous song about being dumped for an ugly girl (funnily enough)! It's not really representative of their overall sound or style though. Infact I can't think of a good comparison in terms of their general style. I tend to think of them as being similar to 'Fur Patrol', but they're probably not that well known either!? If you want to know what 'Fleming & John' sound like, check out 'I'm Not Afraid' on YouTube. :D

Anyway, a slightly surprising entry at number 99 perhaps. I wouldn't say they were actually better than David Bowie, but a great band nonetheless!

The maths:
103rd place on last.fm chart = 398 points
1 song on last.fm chart = 10 points
1 album owned = 5 points
Total = 413 points
Chantal
Manager

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:13 pm

The thing about this top 100 is that I'm probably quite likely to like the ones that I don't yet know.

So yeah - I've never heard OF Fleming and John before, but this "I'm Not Afraid" song is really cool! 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby steophonic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm

I have never heard of Fleming and John unfortunately.

Good to see David Bowie there though - I can already see that there are some good bands which have dropped out early so I'm looking forward to your list - there should be some excellent entries.

Out of the other bands that have just missed out, I'm glad to see Cardigans, Placebo, Modest Mouse, Athlete & Charlotte Hatherley. 8-)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby jpguy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Wow, u must really dedicate time to add all those points :P
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Chantal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 pm

98. Derrero (414 points)

Sticking with the obscure here, but moving from America to Wales! If you're at all likely to have heard Derrero on the radio, then it would probably have been the beautiful 'Unstraightforwardtune', which I seem to remember Mark and Lard being fond of. Personally I got into them at a similar time to a whole load of other Welsh bands, so probably when I started subscribing to Welsh Bands Weekly!

Their music is generally quite mellow and relaxing and just beautiful to listen to, although it can be edgy at times too. To be honest they're a band that I'd struggle to name a huge number of songs by, but often I'll enjoy a song on my playlist, check what it is and discover it's by Derrero. I've obviously listened to them more than I was actually aware of.

The maths:
94th place on last.fm chart = 407 points
1 album owned = 5 points
2 other CDs owned = 2 points
Total = 414 points
Chantal
Manager

Postby Blondini » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Fleming and John is pretty good- they look great in that vid!
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I know the name, and that's about all. Sadly they're not on YouTube at all though! :o
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Chantal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 am

matthew_dixon wrote:I know the name, and that's about all. Sadly they're not on YouTube at all though! :o
No, I did check, but I wasn't surprised that they weren't!
Chantal
Manager

Postby Chantal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:13 pm

97. Black Box Recorder (414 points)

For anyone who's being really geeky and paying attention to the number of points, then yes they did actually get the same number of points as Derrero. In the case of ties, I ranked them according to their chart position on last.fm. Just incase you were wondering! Which you probably weren't.

Anyway, Black Box Recorder! I band I got into through my friend Dave. It was the first time I'd met up with him and we were browsing HMV or Virgin, I forget which, and he thrust upon me the single of 'The Art Of Driving', which he told me I had to buy. He was like that! Somewhat arrogant. Anyway, I'm not actually friends with him now, however I do really like Black Box Recorder!! Proof that music's thicker than water, or something... Anyway, they're a band I should really get more stuff by, as I just have the one album ('The Facts Of Life') and that one single. I really like Sarah Nixey's voice and how British it is and how she speaks more than sings a lot of the time.

Should you wish to check out a random YouTube video, here's The Facts Of Life

The maths:
93rd place on last.fm chart = 408 points
1 album owned = 5 points
1 other CD owned = 1 point
Total = 414 points
Chantal
Manager

Postby HUR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Interesting. Except for David, I don´t kwno much about the others. :oops: Keep it coming.
HUR
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:43 pm

100 is at least 90 points too low for Bowie, but at least he's here :)
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:54 pm

heh, since when did the forum become too American and nobody comments on British acts? :P

wooo for Black Box Recorder, although I only know few songs from them. gotta love Sarah's voice 8-)
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:08 pm

At 97... presenting the act without whose existence, the user Chantal wouldn't be on UKMIX.

Yes, you might not be aware of that one Chantal - but Black Box Recorder were instrumental in the network of friendship creations that resulted in you being here.

It was Skelofect, on a Black Box Recorder site, who discovered Lindz, who came on here, discovered me, sent me to the Space forum, and well... the rest is history!

Anyway, yeah - I love "The Facts Of Life", and like some of the other stuff I've heard from them, but I do need to check out more Black Box Recorder stuff.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Chantal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:03 am

Wow, how incredibly bizarre and yet cool!

Spookily enough, when I first met up with Dave and he made me buy that BBR single, we were going to a Space gig!! *lol* It's all interlinked.
Chantal
Manager

Postby jszmiles » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:46 am

This thread shows how small my knowledge in music is. :o
jszmiles
Legend

Return to Personal Charts