The Stranglers :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho, stevyy

 

Postby blackcat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm

One of my favourite British bands of all-time, and, yet again, highly underrated. They only ever seemed to have major success in the UK, elsewhere their sales appeal seemed very limited looking at the facts and stats, apart from maybe a bit of success in Ireland.

Again, for those too young to remember, here's info. on the band courtesy of Wikipaedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranglers

And here's their discography from Wikipaedia as well:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranglers_discography

I have a feeling that this discography maybe somewhat incomplete, knowing Wikipaedia! :roll:

Here's a discography showing many of the records they released around the World:

http://www.stranglers.org.uk/

They are just one of those countless number of bands that really should have been bigger, they should have sold more, they deserved to be bigger. Maybe their name did not help - perhaps not politically correct to call yourselves The Stranglers when there were cases like the Yorkshire Ripper murders going on here in England at the time, or the BTK killer cases in the States. Whatever the reason, they were commercial failures away from the UK in many markets, and they should not have been for, musically, they were the best of the punk bands, in fact, they were sublime, in my view. Again, as per usual with my threads, I shall use youtube links to illustrate the point. How about this for an ending to an album? It ended their Rattus Norvegicus album, their first studio album, and in my view it rivals any ending to any album in the entire history of rock music! Yes, that includes the ending tracks to Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, or the Beatles Sgt Pepper, or any album ending you care to mention. The track was called Down In The Sewer (the sewer referring to London), and I still find it a joy to listen too:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCho1Pzs00

They continued to make great records right into the eighties, this next one was called Always The Sun, again, a brilliant track here, much smoother than the above track, and in my opinion great to listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9-epdDw9E

And they are still making good records now, here's a taster of their latest single release, Retro Rockets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn5EZtIZVLU

So many great tracks, so many great songs, so much musical talent, so little international success outside the UK!!

One of pop's great mysteries to me, I have heard fellow musicians say that The Stranglers should have been much, much bigger. Great band, the most talented punk band musically in my view. 8-)
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby blackcat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 pm

No interest, noone like the Stanglers out there? Maybe that explains their lack of record sales, then! :wink:
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby borderwolf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks for this new thread!
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
User avatar
borderwolf
Legend
 
Posts: 44312
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006
Location: Traversetolo - Italy

Postby blackcat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 pm

borderwolf wrote:Thanks for this new thread!
My pleasure, borderwolf! You wait and see, and watch this thread grow and grow! By the end of the week, there maybe at least...........4 posts on it!!


:lol: :lol:
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby Shadowplay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm

blackcat wrote:lack of record sales
Well, they were quite big in the UK, and they released one of the best albums in history (imho), "Rattus Norvegicus".
They had three top10 hits from their first two albums, they sold well two "difficult" albums such as The Raven and the Aliens concpet LP, before releasing their biggest hit, Golden Brown.
They're simply GREAT!
User avatar
Shadowplay
Manager
 
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009

Postby blackcat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Shadowplay wrote:
blackcat wrote:lack of record sales
Well, they were quite big in the UK, and they released one of the best albums in history (imho), "Rattus Norvegicus".
They had three top10 hits from their first two albums, they sold well two "difficult" albums such as The Raven and the Aliens concpet LP, before releasing their biggest hit, Golden Brown.
They're simply GREAT!
Thanks Shadowplay, I was beginning to think that I was the only Stranglers fan on the whole forum!

Yes, they fared very well indeed in their home market, wish they had done better elsewhere.
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby Shadowplay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 am

blackcat wrote:
Shadowplay wrote:
blackcat wrote:lack of record sales
Well, they were quite big...
Thanks ...
Yes, they fared very well indeed in their home market, wish they had done better elsewhere.
At least Golden Brown is countinuously aired by Virgin Radio!

There's a plethora of punk/new wave British groups unfortunately forgotten or too niche to be fully rediscovered.
Gang Of Four, The Fall, Television, or the Bow Wow Wow and Adam & The Ants themselves (although they were poppy and bashed at the time, their music is really powerful after 30 years).
Sometimes I think a good compilation could revitalize the sales of those artists, but it seems only a few soundtracks did this job:
- Marie Antoinette (Gang Of Four, Bow Wow Wow)
- Donnie Darko (Echo & The Bunnymen)
- Lost In Translation (Jesus & Mary Chain).
It could be interesting to know how much these soundtracks sold, in the UK and abroad.
User avatar
Shadowplay
Manager
 
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009

Postby blackcat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:59 am

Shadowplay wrote:
blackcat wrote:
Shadowplay wrote:
blackcat wrote:lack of record sales
Well, they were quite big...
Thanks ...
Yes, they fared very well indeed in their home market, wish they had done better elsewhere.
At least Golden Brown is countinuously aired by Virgin Radio!

There's a plethora of punk/new wave British groups unfortunately forgotten or too niche to be fully rediscovered.
Gang Of Four, The Fall, Television, or the Bow Wow Wow and Adam & The Ants themselves (although they were poppy and bashed at the time, their music is really powerful after 30 years).
Sometimes I think a good compilation could revitalize the sales of those artists, but it seems only a few soundtracks did this job:
- Marie Antoinette (Gang Of Four, Bow Wow Wow)
- Donnie Darko (Echo & The Bunnymen)
- Lost In Translation (Jesus & Mary Chain).
It could be interesting to know how much these soundtracks sold, in the UK and abroad.
Thanks again, shadowplay, yes, Golden Brown is also played a great deal on my local oldies station. It must be cheap to play! I wonder how many of these dj's who play it on daytime shows realise what it is about, though.................. :wink:
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby blackcat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 am

And,why not, here is that song Golden Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7R7q1lSZfs

Excellent stuff! 8-)

I am determined to keep this thread going until such time as I get some decent replies!! :evil:

:wink:
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby jimmypages59 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Blackcat, while I enjoy bits and pieces from the Stranglers catalogue, tracks such as Something Better Change, Duchess, No More Heroes, Skin Deep, they will never be my favourite band.

Just a thought, why don't you post some chart analysis or sales figures, most of these posts you post, seem (to me) designed to stimulate discussion about an act, which is not really the nature of this specific forum, would this not be better (and the others you post) in the rock forum, The Retro or Mad about Music, they might get a better response?
User avatar
jimmypages59
Manager
 
Posts: 4596
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005
Location: Purgatory

Postby blackcat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

jimmypages59 wrote:Hi Blackcat, while I enjoy bits and pieces from the Stranglers catalogue, tracks such as Something Better Change, Duchess, No More Heroes, Skin Deep, they will never be my favourite band.

Just a thought, why don't you post some chart analysis or sales figures, most of these posts you post, seem (to me) designed to stimulate discussion about an act, which is not really the nature of this specific forum, would this not be better (and the others you post) in the rock forum, The Retro or Mad about Music, they might get a better response?
Yes, you might have a point, Jimmy. But in the Stranglers case, are there many non-UK sales figures to analyse............. :cry:

Actually the posts in the other forums, in my experience, don't seem to attract as many responses as one would want in an ideal World. It seems to be this forum that has the really long running threads.

Still, point taken! 8-)
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby Passing_Strang » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Here's what I have concerning charts:

AUSTRALIA [Kent Music Report]
singles:
Peaches: 09/01/1978 - #54 - 12 wks
Golden Brown: 29/03/1982 - #10 - 15 wks
Skin Deep: 24/12/1984 - #11 - 19 wks
No Mercy: 29/04/1985 - #90 - 4 wks
Always the Sun: 22/12/1986 - #21 - 17 wks
albums:
No More Heroes: 16/01/1978 - #79 - 3 wks
Stranglers IV: Rattus Norvegicus: 06/03/1978 - #82 - 4 wks
Black and White: 10/07/1978 - #81 - 7 wks
Live (X Cert): 12/03/1979 - #76 - 3 wks
The Raven: 19/11/1979 - #71 - 3 wks
La Folie: 05/04/1982 - #29 - 12 wks
The Collection 1977-1982: 15/11/1982 - #92 - 1 wk
Aurul Sculpture: 21/01/1985 - #38 - 21 wks
Dreamtime: 02/02/1987 - #64 - 9 wks

AUSTRIA
singles [Oe3 Hitparade - radio]:
Golden Brown: 07/03/1982 - #24 - 1 wk
Strange Little Girl: 19/09/1982 - #17 - 3 wks

BELGIUM
singles [BRT Top 30]:
Golden Brown: 27/02/1982 - #8 - 7 wks
Skindeep: 29/12/1984 - #15 - 5 wks
No Mercy: 02/02/1985 - #8 - 6 wks
Big In America: 31/01/1987 - #30 - 1 wk

CANADA [RPM]
singles:
No Mercy: 13/07/1985 - #88 - 7 wks
albums:
Feline: 19/03/1983 - #84 - 9 wks
Aural Sculpture: 23/02/1985 - #35 - 23 wks
Dreamtime: 22/11/1986 - #83 - 8 wks

FRANCE
singles [IFOP Top 50 - official]:
Always The Sun: 17/01/1987 - #15 - 13 wks
singles [InfoDisc]:
Golden Brown: 05/03/1982 - #73 - 4 wks
Always The Sun: 08/11/1986 - #16 - 26 wks
albums:
Norfolk Coast: 15/02/2004 - #142 - 2 wks

WEST GERMANY [Media Control]
singles:
Golden Brown: 05/04/1982 - #63 - 3 wks
No Mercy: 11/02/1985 - #28 - 13 wks
Big In America: 23/02/1987 - #50 - 6 wks

IRELAND [IRMA]
singles:
Walk on by: 07/08/1978 - #11 - 1 wk
Duccess: 02/09/1979 - #27 - 2 wks
Golden Brown: 24/01/1982 - #3 - 8 wks
Strange Little Girl: 01/08/1982 - #7 - 5 wks
European Female: 09/01/1983 - #9 - 4 wks
Midnight Summer Dream: 06/03/1983 - #24 - 1 wk
Skin Deep: 07/10/1984 - #11 - 4 wks
Nice in Nice: 24/08/1986 - #19 - 3 wks
Always The Sun: 26/10/1986 - #16 - 3 wks
Big In America: 21/12/1986 - #28 - 2 wks
All Day and All of the Night: 07/01/1988 - #3 - 4 wks
96 Tears: 15/02/1990 - #9 - 3 wks
Golden Brown: 28/03/1991 - #25 - 1 wk

THE NETHERLANDS
singles [Dutch Top 50/100]:
Something Better Change: 22/10/1977 - #29 - 2 wks
No More Heroes: 21/01/1978 - #25 - 5 wks
Golden Brown: 13/02/1982 - #10 - 8 wks
Skin Deep: 24/11/1984 - #21 - 6 wks
No Mercy: 26/01/1985 - #32 - 7 wks
Always The Sun: 15/11/1986 - #42 - 4 wks
Heaven Or Hell: 19/09/1992 - #77 - 3 wks
singles [Nederlandse Top 40]:
No More Heroes: 14/01/1978 - #29 - 5 wks
Golden Brown: 13/02/1982 - #8 - 8 wks
Skin Deep: 24/11/1984 - #27 - 5 wks
No Mercy: 02/02/1985 - #27 - 6 wks
Always The Sun: 06/12/1986 - #35 - 3 wks
albums:
La folie: 20/02/1982 - #6 - 12 wks
Aural Sculpture: 24/11/1984 - #23 - 21 wks
Dreamtime: 15/11/1986 - #37 - 7 wks

NEW ZEALAND [RIANZ]
singles:
(Get A) Grip (On Yourself): 11/09/1977 - #35 - 2 wks
Skin Deep: 03/03/1985 - #19 - 14 wks
All Day And All Of The Night: 27/03/1988 - #38 - 4 wks
albums:
X Cert (Live 77/78): 27/05/1979 - #49 - 2 wks
The Meninblack: 12/04/1981 - #40 - 2 wks
The Collection 1977-1982: 17/10/1982 - #16 - 9 wks
Feline: 17/04/1983 - #18 - 8 wks
Aural Sculpture: 10/02/1985 - #13 - 22 wks
Dreamtime: 15/02/1987 - #45 - 1 wk

NORWAY [VG-Lista]
albums:
Feline: 05/1983 - #16 - 4 wks

POLAND [Trzecie Polskie Radio]
songs:
Golden Brown: 01/05/1982 - #13 - 6 wks
Strange Little Girl: 02/10/1982 - #8 - 7 wks
European Female: 27/11/1982 - #19 - 6 wks
Midnight Summer Dream: 26/02/1983 - #1 - 11 wks
Paradise: 13/08/1983 - #19 - 4 wks
Skin Deep: 13/10/1984 - #9 - 7 wks
Ice Queen: 09/02/1985 - #6 - 8 wks
Always the Sun: 20/12/1986 - #7 - 13 wks

PORTUGAL
albums:
12/4/1982 3(3) - The Stranglers "La folie"

SPAIN
singles:
Always the Sun: 28/03/1986 - #25 - 2 wks
singles [Los 40 Principales - radio]:
Golden Brown: 17/07/1982 - #36 - 2 wks
European Female: 07/05/1983 - #38 - 1 wk
Skin Deep: 23/03/1985 - #38 - 1 wk
Spain: 22/06/1985 - #33 - 1 wk
Always the Sun: 21/03/1987 - #37 - 1 wk
All Day and All of the Night: 12/03/1988 - #32 - 1 wk

SWEDEN [swedishcharts.com]
albums:
Black And White: 19/05/1978 - #35 - 2 wks
Aural Sculpture: 21/12/1984 - #37 - 3 wks

UK [Music Week]

http://www.chartstats.com/artistinfo.php?id=978

USA [Billboard]
singles:
Skin Deep: 1985 - #49 in Club Play chart
Sweet Smell of Success: 1990-06-16 - #5 in Modern Rock Tracks chart - 10 wks
albums:
Dreamtime: 05/02/1987 - #172 - 4 wks
Last edited by Passing_Strang on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005
Location: Russia

Postby Passing_Strang » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 pm

As for the band itself, I find their early records rather heavy listening and actually think they're pretty inconsistent - they have some real gems like "Golden Brown", "North Winds Blowing", "Always the Sun" etc., but albums contain lots of filler (or, better say, tracks that I don't like). Still, it's one of the better New Wave bands and, I think, are underappreciated somewhat.
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005
Location: Russia

Postby blackcat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks passing/strang, what can I say? You helped me with the Cars, and you helped again here! Good man!

I think that they were a good band, musically better than most other punk bands, maybe not as much charisma as The Sex Pistols, for example.

Thanks again for your input! 8-)
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby Passing_Strang » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Glad to be of help :D And besides, I'm glad to share the info I've got.

Will add some missing info later, when I get one.
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005
Location: Russia

Postby Shadowplay » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Stranglers est. UK sales from Haven:

STRANGLERS :: 2,750k

1 -- Golden Brown :: 660k .. {1982} #11 Year End
2 -- Peaches / Go Buddy Go :: 285k .. {1977} #58 y.e.
3 -- No More Heroes :: 220k .. {1977} #76
4 -- Strange Little Girl :: 180k .. {1982}
5 -- Duchess :: 150k .. {1979}
6 -- Something Better Change / Straighten Out :: 140k .. {1977}
7 -- Five Minutes :: 130k .. {1978}
8 -- Nice'N'Sleazy :: 120k .. {1978}
9 -- Skin Deep :: 100k .. {1984}
10 -- All Day And All Of The Night :: 100k .. {1988}
11 -- European Female :: 90k .. {1983}
12 -- Walk On By :: 85k .. {1978}
13 -- Always The Sun :: 60k .. {1986}
14 -- No Mercy :: 50k .. {1984}
15 -- 96 Tears :: 50k .. {1990}
16 -- Nuclear Device :: 35k .. {1979}
17 -- Bear Cage :: 30k .. {1980}
18 -- Nice In Nice :: 30k .. {1986}
19 -- Don't Bring Harry EP :: 25k .. {1979}
20 -- Midnight Summer Dream :: 25k .. {1983}
21 -- Big In America :: 25k .. {1986}
22 -- Who Wants The World :: 20k .. {1980}
23 -- (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) :: 15k .. {1977}
24 -- Thrown Away :: 15k .. {1981}
25 -- Let Me Introduce You To The Family :: 15k .. {1981}
26 -- La Folie :: 15k .. {1982}
27 -- Paradise :: 15k .. {1983}
28 -- Let Me Down Easy :: 15k .. {1985}
29 -- Grip 89 (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) :: 15k .. {1989}
30 -- Shakin' Like A Leaf :: 10k .. {1987}
31 -- Sweet Smell Of Success :: 5k .. {1990}
32 -- Heaven Or Hell :: 5k .. {1992}
33 -- Big Thing Coming :: 5k .. {2004}
34 -- Long Black Veil :: 5k .. {2004}
35 -- Spectre Of Love :: 5k .. {2006}
User avatar
Shadowplay
Manager
 
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009

Postby blackcat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Shadowplay wrote:Stranglers est. UK sales from Haven:

STRANGLERS :: 2,750k

1 -- Golden Brown :: 660k .. {1982} #11 Year End
2 -- Peaches / Go Buddy Go :: 285k .. {1977} #58 y.e.
3 -- No More Heroes :: 220k .. {1977} #76
4 -- Strange Little Girl :: 180k .. {1982}
5 -- Duchess :: 150k .. {1979}
6 -- Something Better Change / Straighten Out :: 140k .. {1977}
7 -- Five Minutes :: 130k .. {1978}
8 -- Nice'N'Sleazy :: 120k .. {1978}
9 -- Skin Deep :: 100k .. {1984}
10 -- All Day And All Of The Night :: 100k .. {1988}
11 -- European Female :: 90k .. {1983}
12 -- Walk On By :: 85k .. {1978}
13 -- Always The Sun :: 60k .. {1986}
14 -- No Mercy :: 50k .. {1984}
15 -- 96 Tears :: 50k .. {1990}
16 -- Nuclear Device :: 35k .. {1979}
17 -- Bear Cage :: 30k .. {1980}
18 -- Nice In Nice :: 30k .. {1986}
19 -- Don't Bring Harry EP :: 25k .. {1979}
20 -- Midnight Summer Dream :: 25k .. {1983}
21 -- Big In America :: 25k .. {1986}
22 -- Who Wants The World :: 20k .. {1980}
23 -- (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) :: 15k .. {1977}
24 -- Thrown Away :: 15k .. {1981}
25 -- Let Me Introduce You To The Family :: 15k .. {1981}
26 -- La Folie :: 15k .. {1982}
27 -- Paradise :: 15k .. {1983}
28 -- Let Me Down Easy :: 15k .. {1985}
29 -- Grip 89 (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) :: 15k .. {1989}
30 -- Shakin' Like A Leaf :: 10k .. {1987}
31 -- Sweet Smell Of Success :: 5k .. {1990}
32 -- Heaven Or Hell :: 5k .. {1992}
33 -- Big Thing Coming :: 5k .. {2004}
34 -- Long Black Veil :: 5k .. {2004}
35 -- Spectre Of Love :: 5k .. {2006}
Thanks shadowplay, much appreciated! 8-)
blackcat
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005
Location: England.

Postby borderwolf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:21 am

U.K.
Music Video Top 40 - 13th December 2014

18 NEW 1
THE RUBY TOUR 2014
STRANGLERS

:D :D
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
User avatar
borderwolf
Legend
 
Posts: 44312
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006
Location: Traversetolo - Italy

Postby borderwolf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:44 pm

U.K.
B.P.I.
23 february

Stranglers
Rattus Norvegicus
Parlophone Silver Album
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
User avatar
borderwolf
Legend
 
Posts: 44312
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006
Location: Traversetolo - Italy

Return to Artist Chart Analysis

cron