Katy Perry

Moderators: tdc2000, Benjamin, stevyy

Is Katy Perry becoming an American Idol judge something you are excited about?

Yes, of course!
13%
No, definitely not!
44%
It won't do anything for her but I don't really care.
44%

Total votes : 78

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:13 pm

How did this happen??

She was supposed to be a one hit wonder on paper, but she's gone from being a bit of a joke to one of the worlds favourite current pop artists. 2 brilliant singles so far from the album, haven't heard the album yet but I'm hearing good things about it.

Best Perry moment so far though...

SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Benjamin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:25 pm

I feel that she's been taking her time to record her sophomore album and that she really thought about the concept. I remember an interview from a couple of months ago (when she started recording the album) that she had a clear sound in mind: The Cardigans' 'LoveFool' meets Madonna's 'Into The Groove'. A fun and catchy pop record.

She's also been working with amazing people. Dr. Luke is a fantastic producer, especially for poppy songs for the likes of Katy and Ke$ha. She also woked with Benny Blanco and Tricky. Plus, her good friend Bonnie McKee helped writing for the album. She's a genius. I love her way of writing: it's clever, funny and cute. She (co)wrote 'Teenage Dream' and 'Last Friday Night' for example.

Her image is also something that speaks to people. While being very girly girly (with all the pink and candy etc.) she also comes accross as a tough chick with loads of humor. She's spontanious, outgoing and fun. I think all of this has helped making her so succesful.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby UKMusicLova » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes, everyone definitely thought she would be a one hit wonder. We all thought that "I Kissed A Girl" was just a novelty fluke hit but then she came out with the 100% more amazing "Hot N Cold".
I don't know why we didn't learn from the whole Rihanna being a 1 hit wonder situation! :lol:

Her debut was decent but I wasn't a massive fan. I however love her new album and I always enjoy her interviews.
She seems to be a really fun girl and she doesn't appear to take herself too seriously which is great!
and she has a hot fiancee! :P
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JimJim » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 am

Yes, it's definitely an interesting situation - you never know who's going to be the next big thing e.g. when Iyaz and Jason DeRulo both appeared at the same time, we had suspicions that one would go on to be much more successful than the other, we just didn't know which one at the time

I wasn't ever worried that she'd be a one-hit wonder, because I had heard her material early on and knew there was multiple hits to be had in that era. However, I did have some fear that she'd be a one-album wonder.

Luckily though, she's now more massive than ever and I believe that record companies are putting a lot more thought into follow-up albums/singles these days, where-as, say back in the early 00s, I think they just rolled through artists and were happy to toss them once they become one-hit wonders.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:16 am

JimJim wrote:
Luckily though, she's now more massive than ever and I believe that record companies are putting a lot more thought into follow-up albums/singles these days, where-as, say back in the early 00s, I think they just rolled through artists and were happy to toss them once they become one-hit wonders.
That's an interesting thought and I think you're right. I feel labels kind of have to put more thought and effort into follow-up albums, as the market has changed so much in the 'iTunes era'. Everything goes so fast with downloads, that you have to stay relevant. A lot of artists don't take the 'standard' 4 years to write, record and release an album anymore. (few exceptions there). Good example is Rihanna, who released her first album in 2005, her sophomore in 2006 and her third album in 2007 (and she's still releasing albums fast after each other). Katy only took two years to come up with 'Teenage Dream', and in the meantime she was featured on 3OH3's 'Starstruck' and Timbaland's 'If We Ever Meet Again'. She never really dissapeared from the charts and that seems the only way nowadays to build a name for yourself. I bet that if she would've waited another year (and a half), she wouldn't have had as much success. I'm glad artists and labels seem to realise more and more that they don't have time anymore, especially artists who just come out. They can't take their time anymore, because it seems like if they take a long time, they'll be forgotten. (Take note Christina!)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby BlackNLatin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:29 pm

I use to really really REALLY dislike her for years but after awhile she grew on me like a baby dark n lovely perm, she's really has a pleasent singing voice; she just sometimes make weird noises when she sings like when she was singing mtv unpluggg which I've really enjoyed, her hummour really made me adore her. I think she maybe the next pop queen well atleast to me! I love me some katy now!

On a sidenote, I agree with everything Banzai have said in this thread.
BlackNLatin
Superstar

Postby theberen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:42 pm

A dark & lovely perm :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to really like Katy during her first album... (at one stage I almost bought it :lol:), but now all her latest music sounds like nobody's put in any effort, even to make half-decent pop music.

'California Gurls' & 'Teenage Dream' both have really annoying choruses - the whole pause-mid-vocal thing grates on me.

I wish she'd do another 'Thinking Of You' or 'Waking Up In Vegas' :cry:
I sing for the things money can't buy me.
theberen
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:40 am

Wow, I am surprised the Nazis on AfterElton are still condemning her over "Ur So Gay". I didn't even know the song existed until several GAY men raved about it. So I don't get why she is treated as some sort of anti-gay bigot when 90% of the people I know who actually like her are gay men.

Or do they automatically hate anyone who isn't 100% gay ala Cyndi Lauper, Margaret Cho and Lady Gaga? After all, this same board had people give me a hard way to go awhile back for saying Madonna was "our Elvis" and why I can understand why more people would buy tickets to see her in concert than they would St. Cyndi, the matron of all that is pride. I remember the "who gives a **** that Madonna's touring when Cyndi Lauper's also going on the road?" in summer 2008.

With her first album I could see the dislike, she came off as a novelty artist, but with this album and "California Gurls" especially, she has proven herself to be an actual star and the only gay men I know who have an axe to grind with her are posters on that blog. Plus, obviously enough homos like her if she hit #1 on the dance (aka gay) chart. That chart is 100% gay.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby SOS7 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:00 pm

She was amazing on the Grammys.
SOS7
Superstar

Postby HotNCold » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:11 am

^ She was. Her vocals were on point.

3 #1 multi platinum singles.
#1 platinum album
3 million WW
Album Of The Year nom.

Amazing. Katy is on fire this era! 8-)
HotNCold
Groupie

Postby Toadallstar2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Katy is one of my favorite pop artists! :D
Toadallstar2
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm

David LaChapelle photoshoot :D
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Vampvamp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

BanZai wrote:Image

David LaChapelle photoshoot :D
Holy crap these shouldve been included in the album! Theyre so gorgeous. Im not the hugest Perry fan (LOVED her debut and her second CD is just not my cup of tea but I think ET is her best song to date.)

Wow so stunning.
Vampvamp
Manager

Postby alxx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

My god those photos are stunning :o
alxx
Legend

Postby abi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 am

Holly shit! Those are gorgeous. The 2nd photo is everything! :o :o :o :o
abi
Legend

Postby sambo9 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

Gorgeous!

The lighting in the second picture is just perfect!
sambo9
Legend

Postby abi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

:o :o :o :o

Russell is the luckiest man on earth, next to Jay-Z.
abi
Legend

Postby Tom92 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 am

She's SO fine 8-)
On the other hand, I don't get why they have to put on public displays of affection on the red carpet :-?

Publicityyyy.
Tom92
Legend

Postby MadeOfBricks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Cos if they didn't, magazines like Heat and OK! would say that they were "on the rocks" again. Fair play to them, if they are happy then I don't see why they shouldn't show it.

I love them both, I think as individuals they are amazing, and such a good couple!

I've loved Katy from day 1 and I'm glad she's been so successful with this album, it's all been amazing.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby jpguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:33 pm

I hate her husband! So disgusting, Katy looks so fine here :)
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby mattsky » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 pm

jpguy wrote:I hate her husband! So disgusting, Katy looks so fine here :)
4real?
IMO he's hot! :lol:
Happiness ain't prison, but there's freedom in a broken heart
mattsky
Superstar

Postby nekoocz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 am

nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 pm

P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby poriel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:10 am

Can Katy Perry pull off another hit as blockbuster as 2010's Teenage Dream?
We'll find out very soon since the Perry has returned to the studio with uber-producer
Dr. Luke to put final touches on her new EP album.
ASCAP 2010 Songwriter of the Year caught up with EW to discuss his newest projects but he was most excited about new Katy Perry project.

According to Luke "California Dreams" is the name of the new Katy Perry release that is set for November 2011 release.Famous producer says they've been working on it since November 2010 and it will contain 9 new tracks including 3 new "Luke produced" songs, as well as production from StarGate,Tricky Stewart and Fernando Garibay.

"We've just finished first single in February and it's a super-collabo but that's all I'm going to say.(Laughs) Expect it late August.

Don't forget to check the full Dr.Luke interview in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly.
http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130555
poriel
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am

This sure must be some sort of re-release?
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Return to General Artists Discussion