Spice Girls - Forever

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby nekoocz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 am

Code: Select all
Forever is the third studio album by English pop group the Spice Girls, released in 2000 (see 2000 in music). It is their only album without Geri Halliwell (who reunited with the Spice Girls in 2007 for their Greatest Hits release). The album saw a huge drop in sales, as the album barely cracked the Billboard 200 Top 40 at #39 selling only 34,000 copies in its first week, compared to their first two albums partly because of lack of promotion especially in the United States, where their previous albums sold multi-platinum.In the end, Forever managed to sell 5 million copies worldwide and peaked at number two in the United Kingdom.

singles :
Holler — Officially released in various countries; this single peaked at the 1# position in the UK.
Let Love Lead the Way — This single has been released with Holler on a double A-side disc.
Goodbye — Released in 1998 after Geri Halliwell left the band; this song is included on Forever.
If You Wanna Have Some Fun — US only promotional.
Weekend Love — Official single in Taiwan.
Tell Me Why — Promo only, remixes released promotionally.
Oxygen — Released in Brazil only.
I doubt it sold 5 million copies, but it was their best album.

my fav. are :

Holler, Get Down With Me, Whasting My Time and Oxygen.

BTW : I did not find a thread, lock if there is already one
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby TheBiatches » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Not trying to sound like Mr. Know-it-all, but 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' was not a US only promotional single, it was played in various countries such as Italy and Spain, 'Weekend Love' was never a single anywhere, the Taiwanese CD you can find online is just a promo CD and not a proper single, and 'Oxygen' was never a single so it was never released in Brazil.

Anyway, I absolutely love this album, it's my second favourite by them, 'Spice' is my #1 but 'Forever' is a close second. The girls sound amazing, and some of the songs are true pop gems. 'Holler' is a fantastic lead single and it hasn't aged one bit.

While I love 'Goodbye' it does sound out of place on this record, I understand why it was included though. I also love 'Get Down With Me', 'Wasting My Time', 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' and 'Tell Me Why' (which has some incredible remixes).

I don't actually dislike any of the songs, maybe i find 'Oxygen' and 'Time Goes By' a little boring after all these years.
TheBiatches
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Most of the ballads here are the worst ballads they have ever recorded!

I love:
Holler
Let Love Lead the Way
Goodbye
Wasting My Time
Right Back at Ya
Tell Me Why
IF Ya Wanna Have Some Fun
GetBack
Legend

Postby RockTheBoat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm

GetBack wrote:Most of the ballads here are the worst ballads they have ever recorded!
'Oxygen' is a great ballad! Very atmospheric, and if they'd released it I think could have easily have been a fourth Christmas number one for them.

It is a great album - I remember whn I first got it, I couldn't stop listening to it. Has some really good songs, but a couple of fillers (i.e. Wasting My Time and Get Down With Me) Because of the heavy R&B vibe, it does sound rather dated now - although as already said, 'Holler' hasn't dated one bit.

Such a shame it didn't get as much success as it deserved - but I guess that was partly down to the fact their hearts weren't in it.

I think it's a crime 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' wasn't released - the most 'spicy' song on the album and would have been a big hit.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Charmbracelet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 am

Seeing this thread, i've started to listen to the album on Spotify, and it sounds good so far (I'm only on 'Tell Me Why' :lol: )

I will never forgive Mel C for that awful scrubbing brush/feather duster blonde hair though :evil:
Charmbracelet
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:09 am

RockTheBoat wrote:Such a shame it didn't get as much success as it deserved - but I guess that was partly down to the fact their hearts weren't in it.

I think it's a crime 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' wasn't released - the most 'spicy' song on the album and would have been a big hit.
I agree! They should have at least released two more singles in the UK considering they still made it to #1 with "Holler" and "Let Love Lead the Way" despite the Westlife phenomenon!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Bowie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 am

I always imagined an AMAZING film clip for Oxygen.

A crime against nature it and If You Wanna Have Some Fun weren't afforded their due releases under the circumstances.
Bowie
Personal Assistant

Postby GetBack » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:50 pm

They rushed this album! I was looking at the album art and it seems like they only had a simpler photoshoot for this record!
GetBack
Legend

Postby TheBiatches » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:52 pm

GetBack wrote:They rushed this album! I was looking at the album art and it seems like they only had a simpler photoshoot for this record!
I'm afraid it was a deliberate choice to have that kind of image for the album. The photoshoot was done by Terry Richardson so it wasn't a cheap or half-arsed project, I guess they wanted everything to be the way it was, apart from the sales of the album, I'm afraid. :P
TheBiatches
Manager

Postby NoAngels » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:56 pm

Too much R'n'B on this record, that's why it probably is my least favourite album for them.

But still the chosen singles were their best especially "Let love Lead The Way" which in my opinion is one of the best songs in their whole career!

Tell Me Why should have been shot as a video!
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Too bad they didn't perform the other songs from this album.
GetBack
Legend

Postby RockTheBoat » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 pm

GetBack wrote:Too bad they didn't perform the other songs from this album.
I would have loved to have seen a performance of 'Oxygen' and 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun'

Can't believe it's almost a decade since this album's release. Although some of it sounds quite dated now ('Get Down With Me', 'Wasting My Time' etc) it only seems like yesterday since it was released and 'Holler' was number one!
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Merci » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Time Goes By & Holler are the best in the album, I found the production of some of the songs to be too loud or doesn't match their voices
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 am

I genuinely think this is a great album, and I don't get why people rubbished it so much. Probably cos of the awful cover art :lol:

It wasn't as poppy as their previous albums, but I still thought it was very good.

I like every song except Wasting My Time, which I find very dull and boring.

If You Wanna Have Some Fun is a load of cheeky fun and I love that Emma sings the majority, especially towards the end.

Oxygen is gorgeous, one of the girls' best ballads in their career.

Goodbye grew on me so much after I got the album, before I was indifferent to it. Now I LOVE it.

Tell Me Why is brilliant, and has very clever lyrics.

Weekend Love is great and I love Mel B's bizarre rap :lol:

And I think the Let Love Lead The Way video is beautiful, and Emma looks stunning in it :D
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Charmbracelet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I have really fallen in love with this album recently, and I think it is definitely their best vocally (except Mel C, her voice grates on me on this album) especially Emma - she has so much power!!

All the iptempo's are great, and 'Get Down With Me' is my favourite at the moment. It doesn't feel like a Spice Girls album as much as the two before it, though and maybe that's why it never caught on?

If You Wanna Have Some Fun could have been a #1!!!!!
Charmbracelet
Superstar

Postby TheBiatches » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm

This album was released exactly ten years ago today! It's amazing how fast time has gone by. I remember the release of this CD so clearly...

It still sounds great in my opinion, sure, it's not the kind of R&B people make nowadays, but I personally don't think it sounds dated.
TheBiatches
Manager

Postby NoAngels » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:11 pm

TheBiatches wrote:This album was released exactly ten years ago today! It's amazing how fast time has gone by. I remember the release of this CD so clearly...

It still sounds great in my opinion, sure, it's not the kind of R&B people make nowadays, but I personally don't think it sounds dated.
Yes I bought the cassette of it :lol:
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

If You Wanna Have Some Fun should have been a single!
GetBack
Legend

Postby topopMAC1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:35 pm

I've been feeling rather nostalgic for Spice Girls recently and I LOVED this album and considering it went Platinum after only 'one proper single' release showed that there was life left in the album IMO! But the girls gave up on the album so quickly. I thought the critics were overly harsh on it too.

I loved the montage video they released for "If You Wanna Have Some Fun"... remember seeing it on MTV Select back in the day. I think it would have been massive if released properly!

"If You Wanna Have Some Fun", "Tell Me Why", "Holler", "Let Love Lead The Way", "Goodbye", "Right Back At Ya" and "Get Down With Me" were my favourites.
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 pm

It's so sad that this album flopped internationally. I remember being so excited with the "Holler" video especially because I didn't know that they were already back! The promo in the US was so bad, they only sent two Spice Girls there, I think it was Emma and Victoria, while Mel C and Mel B were promoting in the Europe. The songs here are so good, I really love their pop-R&B sound, and they were so stunning in the videos!

I really hope they still get back and make some music together, I was just wondering, if Geri was in this project, maybe the fans would have embraced them more. :-?
GetBack
Legend

Postby Charmbracelet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 pm

I think if they had still been with Geri, this album would never have happened! I think it would have sounded a mix of Geri's "Schizophonic" and If You Wanna Have Some Fun.
Charmbracelet
Superstar

Postby AutomaticBR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:28 pm

This is far from selling 5M worldwide, maybe 2M tops!

but it's a good album anyway, I like it :D too bad it was their last studio package :(
AutomaticBR
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Surprised it was only their third album!??? :o :o :o So they had about 8 hit singles from the 2 previous albums spread across years or something!? :-?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:35 am

crazycrazy wrote:Surprised it was only their third album!??? :o :o :o So they had about 8 hit singles from the 2 previous albums spread across years or something!? :-?
All their hits were scattered in 1996-1998, and this album was released in 2000, and the Greatest Hits in 2007. :)
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Does anyone know the sales of this in the USA?? :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Return to The Retro