Christina Aguilera/Cher :: The "Burlesque" Era

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby cabanaboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:11 am

I was back to #2 about ten minutes ago, hopefully it'll get back on top
cabanaboy
Superstar

Postby jordi_89 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 am

cabanaboy wrote:I was back to #2 about ten minutes ago, hopefully it'll get back on top
well, at least it has been #1 for a day, right? and considering Kanye will sell more than 100k digitally this week, she could have decent numbers there 8-)
jordi_89
Superstar

Postby Leo92 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 am

cabanaboy wrote:
Leo92 wrote:Why the editing? It was good!
''+1, Leo I think your comments are annoying bla bla bla''
You're mad because I did not agree in making this thread all about positivity but realism a couple of pages back?
Too bad but thank God not all Christina fans are like you and they try to bring realistic predictions even if what they are saying might get them a few names like ''HATEEER'' or something like that.

And don't insist, we don't want to get banned for this. Thank youu :D
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I decided to be nice so I deleted it ass
I didn't insult you, why do you insult me?
Leo92
Superstar

Postby cabanaboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 am

Sorry leo. Anyway, this week it seems 50 k will be the result at least I hope. I think it could increase next week, and a lot of people talking about this movie. I hear about it from a lot of people at work
cabanaboy
Superstar

Postby jpguy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:49 am

Great that it peaked #1 :) Others could nevah :P
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby greek_boy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

cabanaboy wrote:I was back to #2 about ten minutes ago, hopefully it'll get back on top
#5 now because 2 Glee albums climbed to #1 and #4 + the new BEP at #3!! Very good despite the big releases :)
greek_boy
Legend

Postby PDC1987 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:08 pm

willx wrote:
PDC1987 wrote:
willx wrote:
HolidayGuy wrote:Um, NO. I never said anything about Christina Aguilera's vocal talents. She is incredibly talented as a vocalist (though I've never been big on the occasional wailing/shouting that some big-voiced "divas" do). I have no problem enjoying some of her songs and her voice.

"Hater"? I have Stripped and Keeps Gettin' Better, after all. :D There's no doubt that some mega fans are clouded by their fandom that they feel it's unjust to say a negative word about their favorite- even if it means trying to ignore the facts.

In any event, I love Cher, but that does not mean I have an interest in seeing this turkey of a movie. That's all. I've followed box office for a long time, and am intrigued when these heavily promoted releases fai lto live up to the hype.

Anyhow, here's the commentary from two of the most popular box office sites:

Box Office Gurucommentary:
Sony's musical Burlesque followed with a mild debut. The Christina Aguilera-Cher combo drew in an estimated $11.8M over the weekend and $17.2M across the five-day span. Playing in 3,037 sites, the PG-13 film averaged only $3,885 over the Friday-to-Sunday period and performed exactly like the studio's 2005 turkey weekend musical Rent. That film bowed to $17.1M over the Wednesday-to-Sunday session. Reviews for Burlesque were terrible and the crowd was 69% female.

Box Office Mojo commentary:
In fourth place, Burlesque collected an estimated $11.8 million on around 3,500 screens at 3,037 locations for a $17.15 million five-day start. Its gross was on par with Rent, the last major musically-oriented Thanksgiving release, albeit with lower attendance. Distributor Sony Pictures reported an audience breakdown of 69 percent female and 54 percent aged 25 years and older.
4th best opening for a musical. #1 on Itunes. 18M as expected. Excellent feedback. Word of mouth. Good and bad reviews, bad reviews based on the plot. Also great reviews. It's a musical and after christina's flop album bionic.
1.) Most musicals platform in limited release, Burlesque opened in over 3,000 theaters. 4th biggest musical opening is *irrelevant.*

2.) The studio officially wanted $20 to $25 million, *not* $17 million.

3.) The reviews were *resoundingly* negative. RottenTomatoes scores DO NOT lie.

4.) The bad reviews singled out everything. Plot, acting, dialogue, etc. Good music performances don't make a good movie.
1) Huge competition. Still, with more theaters or not, it's the 4th biggest musical opening. If it is running in 3000 theaters it must be for some reason don't you think so?
Huge competition? Is there another female and gay-skewing "diva" musical out there now?

And apparently you don't get it. 4th highest musical opening is ***irrelevant*** when most musicals, including many of the biggest of all time, opened in under 10 or even under 5 theaters.

It's a $55 million film from a major studio. That's why it was able to open in over 3,000 theaters. That is not an achievement and doesn't mean anything, 492 movies have opened in 3,000 or more theaters domestically. Including many notorious flops.
PDC1987
Personal Assistant

Postby cabanaboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:12 pm

How is that irrelevent its a fact, so its not irrelevent
cabanaboy
Superstar

Postby Youknowit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 pm

PDC1987 wrote:
willx wrote:
PDC1987 wrote:
willx wrote:
HolidayGuy wrote:Um, NO. I never said anything about Christina Aguilera's vocal talents. She is incredibly talented as a vocalist (though I've never been big on the occasional wailing/shouting that some big-voiced "divas" do). I have no problem enjoying some of her songs and her voice.

"Hater"? I have Stripped and Keeps Gettin' Better, after all. :D There's no doubt that some mega fans are clouded by their fandom that they feel it's unjust to say a negative word about their favorite- even if it means trying to ignore the facts.

In any event, I love Cher, but that does not mean I have an interest in seeing this turkey of a movie. That's all. I've followed box office for a long time, and am intrigued when these heavily promoted releases fai lto live up to the hype.

Anyhow, here's the commentary from two of the most popular box office sites:

Box Office Gurucommentary:
Sony's musical Burlesque followed with a mild debut. The Christina Aguilera-Cher combo drew in an estimated $11.8M over the weekend and $17.2M across the five-day span. Playing in 3,037 sites, the PG-13 film averaged only $3,885 over the Friday-to-Sunday period and performed exactly like the studio's 2005 turkey weekend musical Rent. That film bowed to $17.1M over the Wednesday-to-Sunday session. Reviews for Burlesque were terrible and the crowd was 69% female.

Box Office Mojo commentary:
In fourth place, Burlesque collected an estimated $11.8 million on around 3,500 screens at 3,037 locations for a $17.15 million five-day start. Its gross was on par with Rent, the last major musically-oriented Thanksgiving release, albeit with lower attendance. Distributor Sony Pictures reported an audience breakdown of 69 percent female and 54 percent aged 25 years and older.
4th best opening for a musical. #1 on Itunes. 18M as expected. Excellent feedback. Word of mouth. Good and bad reviews, bad reviews based on the plot. Also great reviews. It's a musical and after christina's flop album bionic.
1.) Most musicals platform in limited release, Burlesque opened in over 3,000 theaters. 4th biggest musical opening is *irrelevant.*

2.) The studio officially wanted $20 to $25 million, *not* $17 million.

3.) The reviews were *resoundingly* negative. RottenTomatoes scores DO NOT lie.

4.) The bad reviews singled out everything. Plot, acting, dialogue, etc. Good music performances don't make a good movie.
1) Huge competition. Still, with more theaters or not, it's the 4th biggest musical opening. If it is running in 3000 theaters it must be for some reason don't you think so?
Huge competition? Is there another female and gay-skewing "diva" musical out there now?

And apparently you don't get it. 4th highest musical opening is ***irrelevant*** when most musicals, including many of the biggest of all time, opened in under 10 or even under 5 theaters.

It's a $55 million film from a major studio. That's why it was able to open in over 3,000 theaters. That is not an achievement and doesn't mean anything, 492 movies have opened in 3,000 or more theaters domestically. Including many notorious flops.
Who cares if this does $35 or $40 million in the States. Just because it makes less than $55 million in the United States doesn't mean anything. It's worldwide gross will be more than its budget, not to mention rentals & DVD sales.
Youknowit
Manager

Postby candyman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:38 pm

HDD - Now In Final:

-- 18 BURLESQUE RCA/RMG 62,514 --

What a nice surprise! :D
candyman
Legend

Postby StephenN17 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm really over the moon that it got a top 20 placing! And it did higher than the 50k sales projection. Well done!
StephenN17
Manager

Postby cabanaboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Awesome that it blew the prediction out of the water very happy :)
cabanaboy
Superstar

Postby willx » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm

candyman wrote:HDD - Now In Final:

they predicted 25k-50k and finally 62.5k! this is great! and maybe the billboard results will be higher! who knows! i'm sure if RCA would've handled the shipments and the stock problems in the correct way, sales would be higher.
willx
Manager

Postby ktar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Great sales :o
ktar
Manager

Postby bjorktina » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 am

is HDD included the digital sales??
and wow...top 20 :o
i'm not cocky i just love my self....bitch
bjorktina
Roadie

Postby jpguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:47 am

:o :o :o WOW! #18 - I never expected this great sales to be quite honest :P

We did the top 20 guys :)
jpguy
Legend

Postby Leo92 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 am

+60k is not bad at all 8-)
I'm happy for Christina (and Cher, why not?)
She already sold more than half Bionic first week sales and that with a soundtrack that wasn't as promoted as Bionic :o :D
Woot"
Leo92
Superstar

Postby LostAvenger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 am

Japanese Radio Airplay:

55 (NE) Express

Japanese Adult Contemporary Airplay:

38 (NE) Express
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby ManTooth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 am

Leo92 wrote:+60k is not bad at all 8-)
I'm happy for Christina (and Cher, why not?)
She already sold more than half Bionic first week sales and that with a soundtrack that wasn't as promoted as Bionic :o :D
Woot"
Hmmm...I don't know about that. The soundtrack's songs may have less airplay, but the film had a $30 million promotional push and pretty much every TV commercial feature some of the music. I'd say that in itself is pretty good promotion.

Is radio picking up any of these songs? The soundtrack could sell decently for awhile if one cut gets traction at radio.
ManTooth
Manager

Postby candyman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 am

ManTooth wrote:
Is radio picking up any of these songs? The soundtrack could sell decently for awhile if one cut gets traction at radio.
Nope!

Shame though... They don't need a video as they can use the performances from the movie mixed with scenes. Show Me How You Burlesque or The Beautiful People (from Burlesque) would be good singles IMO.
candyman
Legend

Postby Godney » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Woohoo! it's beyond expectation.
cant wait for the next week sales.
how many copies do you think it will sell in the following week?

congrats, Xtina! you save your career with this movie. Burlesque is amazing :):):)
Britney Spears -*
Lady Gaga, Beyonce & Rihanna
Godney
Groupie

Postby jpguy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Like whart? 18K me thinks :O
jpguy
Legend

Postby BadGirl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:25 pm