Plan B - The Ballad of Belmarsh

Moderators: Benjamin, stevyy

Postby fercho34 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Released: Expected in March or April.

The new album, called The Ballad of Belmarsh, is a hip-hop laden “series of events” that depicts the story of Plan B’s alter-ego, Strickland Banks. He has said that he recognizes the fact that the upcoming hip-hop album will probably not have the same appeal or be as successful as his previous soul album, which has sold over 500,000 copies, which he is OK with. “I know The Ballad of Belmarsh is not going to work commercially, I know radio ain’t going to play it but I’m still going to put it out there because I love it. It’s a piece of art,” he said. “It’s probably going to sell about 100,000 copies – no more. But I’m cool with that.”
NME.com
fercho34
Manager

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Awww, I hope he doesn't flop after such a massive year and amazing album. Disappointed it's a hip-hop album but it might not necessarily be bad.
Thriller

Postby steophonic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Hmm yeah I'm a bit disappointed too - it probably won't be my cup of tea - but we will wait and see!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm

I love him rapping so I will probably like this! I think he's a better rapper than a lot of the "only" rappers in the UK! :P
He has a lot more substance too! I hope he does keep some of the soul elements though!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby shake_yo_ass » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 pm

why do people always do this? Goldfrapp and KOL did it too.

They release one stonking album filled with great tracks that sells loads and they follow it up with something they know wont be as good/popular..... :roll:
MJ - the originator - you will be missed. :'(
shake_yo_ass
Manager

Postby Loki0012 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:08 am

Yes , I Agree id listen to anything PLan B releases he is a genius, i agree with UK music lova one of the best rappers in UK if not the only one
MY PERSONAL CHARTS
NA NA NA NA OH OH
Loki0012
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 pm

NME.com wrote:Plan B will return to his controversial rap roots on his forthcoming third album 'The Ballad Of Belmarsh'.

The singer said the follow-up to his 2010 album 'The Defamation Of Strickland Banks' will be more like his 2006 debut 'Who Needs Action When You Got Words', despite the fact the record will continue the storyline of a fictional soul singer.

The singer also said the album is likely to switch a lot of people off. "My first record was the kind of record that, when your parents went past, they'd go 'Turn that off, give it to me, it's going in the bin!'"

"But with the second, the same parents were like, 'What a talented guy'. [With the third album] those parents are going to go straight back to, 'Turn that shit off'," he added.

"It's an underground hip-hop album about Strickland Banks being banged up in Belmarsh," he told The Daily Mirror. "I won't be him singing any more, I'll be rapping about him, commenting on the story."

'The Ballad Of Belmarsh' is due for release later this year.
I don't know if it's gonna be for me but I'm really interested to hear it!
Thriller

Postby truthless » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Soo... Gotta bump this thread. I actually don't know how I got to this album. Probably because I was searching for some new songs.

I saw that the album will be released this year. Not sure if it's true though. I hope so. I'm not really familiar with his material. But I'm always open for new hip hop music, especially if this album will lean more towards rap.
truthless
Once in a lifetime

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 am

I hope it happens. I know he wanted to originally release it as part of the Strickland Banks project, and his label weren't keen, so he looked into releasing it from his own label but had to delay it when he got the funding for Ill Manors. I get the feeling he's passionate about it, and has unfinished business with Strickland, so I think he will push for it to happen. He seems like s very determined guy. If he wants to put it out there, I for one would love to hear it.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Timmy94 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:13 am

I loved the story about Strickland Banks and the entire album... This one is going too slow though, he had the hype and I fear that it'll remain unused and that this album won't be able to live up to the expectations...
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Return to Urban/R&B