Spice Girls

Moderators: tdc2000, Wayne, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby GetBack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

The Spice Girls: Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm, Geri Halliwell, Emma Bunton and Victoria Beckham.

Biography

The Spice Girls were an English pop girl group formed in 1994. The group comprised five members, who each later adopted nicknames initially ascribed to them: Melanie Chisholm ("Sporty Spice"), Emma Bunton ("Baby Spice"), Melanie Brown ("Scary Spice"), Victoria Beckham (née Adams) ("Posh Spice"), and Geri Halliwell ("Ginger Spice"). They were signed to Virgin Records and released their debut single, "Wannabe" in 1996, which hit number-one in more than 30 countries and helped establish the group as a global phenomenon.

Credited for being the pioneers that paved the way for the commercial breakthrough of teen pop in the late 1990s, their debut album, Spice, sold more than 28 million copies worldwide, becoming the best-selling album by a female group in music history. On 3 November 1997, they released their second album, Spiceworld. The album set a new record for the fastest-selling album when it shipped 7 million copies worldwide in just two weeks, including 1.4 million in Britain alone, becoming the largest-ever shipment of an album over the course of that period. Gaining favorable reviews, the album went on to sell over 20 million copies worldwide. They have sold over 75 million records worldwide, making them the best-selling female group of all time. Measures of their success include international record sales, a 2007–2008 reunion tour, merchandising, record-breaking achievements, iconic symbolism such as Halliwell's Union Jack dress, representing "Girl Power", a box-office film, Spice World, and their internationally recognized nicknames. The group became one of the most successful marketing engines ever, with their global grosses estimated at $500–800 million between 1996 and 1998 and the group earning up to $75 million per year.

Under the guidance of their mentor and manager Simon Fuller, the group embraced merchandising and became a regular feature of the British and global press. In 1996, Top of the Pops magazine gave each member of the group aliases, which were adopted by the group and media. According to Rolling Stone journalist and biographer David Sinclair, "Scary, Baby, Ginger, Posh and Sporty were the most widely recognized group of individuals since John, Paul, George, and Ringo". They were the biggest popular cultural icons of the 1990s, according to a survey carried out by Trivial Pursuit, winning by 80 percent in a poll of 1,000 people, stating that "Girl Power" defined the decade. They are cited as part of the 'second wave' '90s British Invasion of the US.

On 31 May 1998, Halliwell unexpectedly left the group in the middle of numerous rumours. The four remaining members released their third album Forever, in November 2000. On 28 June 2007, all five reformed before the launch of The Return of the Spice Girls, their reunion tour in December, alongside the release of their Greatest Hits album. The tour is estimated to have grossed US$100 million, despite a shortened run. The tour won the Billboard 2008 Touring Award for Top Boxscore for a 17-night stand at London's O2 Arena.

On 26 June 2012, all five Spice Girls were in attendance at a press conference in London to promote the launch of Viva Forever: The Musical. The press conference was held at St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel, the location where the Spice Girls filmed the music video for their breakthrough hit "Wannabe", sixteen years earlier, to the day. The musical is due to open at the West End's Piccadilly Theatre on 11 December 2012. The group performed a medley of "Wannabe" and "Spice Up Your Life" at the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony on 12 August 2012, reuniting solely for the event. The Spice Girls performance was the most tweeted moment of the Olympics Games with over 116,000 tweets on Twitter per minute beating Usain Bolt by over 46,000 "TPM".

Discography

Spice (1996)
Spiceworld (1997)
Forever (2000)
Greatest Hits (2007)

ImageImageImageImage

Official Website: www.thespicegirls.com
A place to discuss the greatest girl group of all time! :D :D :D :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby NoAngels » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 pm

These girls have made me love pop music. I still own their album cassettes, and CDS and some of their merchandise! They were great times!

Anybody rememebr this:
I used to cry to my mom to get me a full box from the supermarket! Btw I still keep it!
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 pm

There's more talented girl groups out there, and a better-selling girl group out there - but I don't thin there's any girl group that equals their short phenomenon!

They were MASSIVE.
I am a recovering
Anxiety addict
A broken perfectionist
Somewhat erratic

Recovering - Céline Dion.
Wayne
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 pm

The Spice Girls performance was the most tweeted moment of the Olympics Games with over 116,000 tweets on Twitter per minute beating Usain Bolt by over 46,000 "TPM".
I didn't know this! Legends! 8-)

There are so many annoying music snobs who kept saying they didn't belong at the ceremony because they are not talented, but those haters can take a seat. The truth is, everyone was interested to see the Spice Girls.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NoAngels » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm also happy that after their performace they started charting on US and UK iTunes with both Wannabe and Spice Up Your Life. People still have a thing for the our Spice!

I don't know if you've seen this but this is Mel B, Geri and Emma with the guys from Oasis..
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby BeeFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm

they didn't have a thread :o
BeeFan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm

BeeFan wrote:they didn't have a thread :o
I'm sure there must be one somewhere.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Just checked and can't find one. Each member has their own thread except Emma.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:05 pm

They had the world completely enraptured true pop stars for our generation! I used to love them! :lol: :( Perfect unashamed pop, they did have talent as well. :wink: Baby was my fave. 8-)
Why do I love you so if you're just a spec of dust, floating endlessly amongst the trillion stars?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Come on, I won't just make a random thread, guys! Of course, as a responsible UKMix member, I've searched first before making one. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby NoAngels » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Wont blame you even if a topic exists. Search criteria on UKMIX is a disaster!
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby AndiIversen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

biscuits wrote:Each member has their own thread except Emma.
:o

I like her albums better :D
she's also great in AbFab 8-)
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Storyteller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

I remember when Spice Up Your Life came out, I was Five and I loved it sooooo much, My mom use to play Spiceworld in the car all the time back then. Stop was seriously one of my fav songs for years :lol: , #MEMORIES
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby BeeFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

me didn't mean to blame, I was just shocked and surprised :lol:

i love them to death, been a fan ever since... still have all album, all singles, so much merchandise, the film, the concert videos... shame dvd is too expensive these days... Scary was my fave. Wish I would have made it to their reunion tour, but sadly I couldn't ...these days feel pretty good to be a SPICE fan... they get credit they well deserve
BeeFan
Manager

Postby Spartan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm

biscuits wrote:Just checked and can't find one. Each member has their own thread except Emma.
My poor baby, she's my favourite member by far and had the best solo career too.
Spartan
Legend

Postby RockTheBoat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm

FIERCE.

Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Storyteller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm

BeeFan wrote:me didn't mean to blame, I was just shocked and surprised :lol:

i love them to death, been a fan ever since... still have all album, all singles, so much merchandise, the film, the concert videos... shame dvd is too expensive these days... Scary was my fave. Wish I would have made it to their reunion tour, but sadly I couldn’t …these days feel pretty good to be a SPICE fan… they get credit they well deserve
Scary was my fav too, Then Sporty :D
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby BeeFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

is there any chance to see the olympia performance again? ...yt blocked everything for me
BeeFan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

EDITED: I might do my own Spice Girls personal chart soon, so I won't mention my favourite songs in here!
Last edited by biscuits on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

BeeFan wrote:is there any chance to see the olympia performance again? ...yt blocked everything for me
Try dailymotion
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

YASS! Loving all the Spice Girls avis! 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby BeeFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Stop is great was an instant fave off of that album for me, shame it remained their only song not to peak and debut at No.1 in the UK, back then
BeeFan
Manager

Postby BeeFan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

I clearly remember so much.... there hasn't been a single day back then, without any SPICE news :D *memories
BeeFan
Manager

Postby crazycool » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 pm

04wayne wrote:There's more talented girl groups out there, and a better-selling girl group out there - but I don't thin there's any girl group that equals their short phenomenon!

They were MASSIVE.
Do you have a list of the best-selling girl groups with sources? Is TLC the best selling overall?

I'm asking out of interest, not to start fan wars :lol:
crazycool
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm

I would have guessed The Supremes are the biggest selling? Purely because I imagine they've released a lot more albums than any other girl group :lol:

I absolutely adore the Spice Girls! They were my childhood, like pretty much any British 90s baby! They have so many classics, and they will always be an act that is nostalgic for me to listen to
UKMusicLova
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion