Christina Aguilera - Dirrty

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm

"Dirrty" is a song by American recording artist Christina Aguilera featuring rapper Reggie "Redman" Noble. The song was written by Aguilera and Redman along with Jasper Cameron, Balewa Muhammad, and Rockwilder for Aguilera's second studio album Stripped. "Dirrty" was released on September 16, 2002 as the album's lead single.

Reception
It received mixed reviews from music critics. Commercially, in the US, it reached #48 on the Billboard Hot 100, but was better received elsewhere, cracking the top ten in 17 countries and reaching #1 in Ireland and the United Kingdom.

Music video
The song is best remembered for its accompanying music video directed by David LaChappelle, for which Aguilera was allowed creative control. The video brought her sexuality to the forefront and depicted various sexual fetishes, from mud wrestling to sthenolagnia. It eliminated the teenybopper, "girl next door" image that she had accumulated from her previous work.

Controversies
Aguilera's new image was widely rejected by the public to the extent that it began to overshadow her music. Entertainment Weekly described it as "the world's skeeziest reptile woman", and The Village Voice captioned her as a xenomorph from the Alien series. TIME magazine commented that "she appeared to have arrived on the set ... direct from an intergalactic hooker convention", adding that "she earned that extra r". Aguilera, stating that she like "to play and experiment, to be as tame or as outlandish as [she] happened to feel", stood by the music video and her image in response to the criticism:

[size=85]"When you are bold and open, artistically speaking, in music and in video, a whole bunch of people automatically feel threatened by you, especially in Middle America ... OK, I may have been the naked-ass girl in the video, but if you look at it carefully, I'm also at the forefront. I'm not just some lame chick in a rap video; I'm in the power position, in complete command of everything and everybody around me. To be totally balls-out like that is, for me, the measure of a true artist."

The music video was very controversial in Southeast Asia. Protests occurred in Thailand over Thai-language posters in the video that translate to "Thailand's Sex Tourism" and "Young Underage Girls". LaChapelle stated that he had not known what the posters stated, and RCA disallowed Thai television stations from playing the video.

Accolades and achievements
"Dirrty" was nominated for "Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals" at the 45th Grammy Awards. At the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, the video was nominated for Best Female Video, Best Dance Video, Best Pop Video, and Best Choreography. On its finale in 2008, MTV's TRL named the video as the Fourth Greatest Video of the MTV generation. In late 2004, the video was voted the "Sexiest Music Video of All Time" by over a quarter of a million FHM readers. Slant Magazine also named the video one of "The 100 Greatest Music Videos of All Time", coming in at #100. [/size]
This single was released exactly ten years ago! :o :o Happy 10th Anniversary to the most controversial Xtina Aguilera single ever, "Dirrty"!! Time flies by so fast! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby jpguy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Best Video Ever for me ! 8-) 8-) 8-)
One of the best club bangers, and one of her signature songs!!!
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:15 pm

jpguy wrote:Best Video Ever for me ! 8-) 8-) 8-)
One of the best club bangers, and one of her signature songs!!!
It's 10 years old now! I can't believe it! :cry: :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Shorty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 pm

This was the song that made me a Christina fan :D

Bit of a random one, but there you go. It made me buy Stripped, so woo for Dirrty 8-)

Can't believe it's been 10 years though, MAN.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby toni_pest » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 am

The best thing she ever done, both the song and the video are amazing. I remember this playing on VIVA every hour for weeks, it was huuuuge! :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 am

Can't believe this song was released 10 years ago already! :o

I was completely addicted to this track and to its amazing music video, I wouldn't stop playing the song and kept watching the video over and over!

And I always loved the single cover as well!

8-)
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby JimJim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 am

Still a big dancefloor filler here and definitely one of, if not, her signature hit.

The video is also iconic, what with the wrestling ring and her disgusting 'dirty' appearance.

Peaked at #4 in Australia in November, 2002.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Ruthymon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Classic banger. 8-)
Ruthymon
Superstar

Postby croatiaxtina » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

The dirrtiest song ever!
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:12 pm

SholasBoy