Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Madonna - Music [album]

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 13:54

^I so agree with you.
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 14:47

I've always loved Music's tracks (like every single song! - American Pie included), but it just didn't click with me as a cohesive body of work. It just doesn't flow very well to me as an "album." I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel about it. But each and every song is gold.

I Deserve It remains one of my favorite Madonna songs EVER. It's like in my top 3 .
    "Dion's voice glides effortlessly from deep whispers to dead-on high notes, a sweet siren that combines force with grace."
    - Time

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 19:47

Quote Originally Posted by dhenapie
    I've always loved Music's tracks (like every single song! - American Pie included), but it just didn't click with me as a cohesive body of work. It just doesn't flow very well to me as an "album." I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel about it. But each and every song is gold.

I Deserve It remains one of my favorite Madonna songs EVER. It's like in my top 3 .
    I think it's because it feels like a RoL and AL hybrid. But I kinda feel the same way, I love every single track on this. Paradise and Gone are in my top 10 fave M tracks.

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 23:26

I love Music. Madonna fans kind of disregard it a bit, but it's definitely in my top 5 - I rate it higher than ROL if I'm honest.
    M08T10

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 23:27

^I find myself listening to it more than I listen to RoL as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

by » Sun December 18th, 2016, 23:47

My opinion is opposite, i think it flows amazingly well and while every song is kinda different as a whole i feel it's very cohesive album with its sounds

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Tue December 27th, 2016, 01:02

Quote Originally Posted by Westen

My opinion is opposite, i think it flows amazingly well and while every song is kinda different as a whole i feel it's very cohesive album with its sounds
    Feel the same. I think its one of those records that managed to feature different type of songs yet making it all flow well and connected. I think it worked because the album was short and every song had quality.

This album was truly among her greatest musical moments.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Tue December 27th, 2016, 06:14

There isn't one song I don't like here! Yes, even American Pie!

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by » Tue December 27th, 2016, 07:27

I agree, even "American Pie" fits in this considering it was for a soundtrack.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Tue May 9th, 2017, 00:40

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLover88
    Turn to stone...Lose my faith...I'll be gone...before it happens.

Legend
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)

by » Mon May 29th, 2017, 20:20

To me the album lacks a bit of truely outstanding tracks.

American Pie, Impressive Instant and I Deserve It are brilliant.

As Music and Don't Tell Me have been big hits, I've learned to like them, but I don't think they will ever be among my favorites.

The other songs are a bit forgetable IMO.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Fri October 20th, 2017, 12:56

Impressive Instant is one of the best songs she has ever recorded. Too bad WB were against the single release. :evil:

We could've gotten an epic video.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by » Fri October 20th, 2017, 21:22

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy
    Impressive Instant is one of the best songs she has ever recorded. Too bad WB were against the single release. :evil:

!!!!! One of the biggest injustices of Madonna's career to be honest.

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:04

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy

Its so crazy to think a label was able to control the "Music" era like that. First she was forced to include "American Pie" on "Music" and then she was denied / refused to release "Impressive instant" as a single. This really cut short the era unfortunately.

Also I hated the fact she released a remixed version of "What it feels like for a girl" as a single, while the music video is epic I think the original album version is so beautiful, refined and artistic. That WIFLFAG remix didn't really help much and IMO thats part of the reason the label was against releasing another dance risky song like "Impressive instant" as the following single, they obviously wanted something safer and more commercial like "Amazing" after the aggresive WIFLFAG remix and music video but Madonna wouldn't take it, the label would not please her = cut short era.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

by » Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:09

It's sad it never happened because she was at that stage of her career when she could've released the worst song ever and it would've been global top 10 single... They could've just settled for both Amazing and II and I'm sure era woudl've been even bigger!

Not to mention how much it would've helped her in the long run because she would've had such an extraordinary track as single. Not to mention that it was critically acclaimed and critics loved her at the time, so even a Grammy would've been possible.

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)

by » Fri October 20th, 2017, 22:18

Yes, What it feels like for a girl has a great video but the album version of the song is perfection, the remix is a bit unnecessary
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 21:37

I'm obssesed with the "Music" era ... I've been listening to the album a lot these days, love the booklet, love her image, love the music, love the style.

I think it was a brilliant album and the era started so great, its just a shame that it was so messed up and killed like that at the end. I just can't stand the fact that she prefered to do that remix on "What it feels like for a girl" for the 3rd single, like the original version was so stylish, touching, beautiful, and elegant, I know the album version is featured on the CD singles and that stuff, but it was that remix the face of the singe and the one that got the music video, millions of people could never hear the brilliance of the original, that remix IMO doesn't showcase the message of the song or what it was about and doesn't display her artistry either and the remix was so changed from the original song that it was basically a new song that wasn't on any album, I understand that she wanted to spice things up with a remix and be a bit more aggressive but IMO she could have done two music videos for both versions, the original one would have served as the 3rd single from "Music" and she could have left that remix with its music video as the lead single from her "GHV2" compilation album, but at the end she just screwed the "Music" era and the "GHV2" album didn't get any single anyway, I'm convinced that remix single is what killed the era and what brought her problems with her label when she later wanted to release "Imprasive instant" as the 4th single, the era was cancelled, and that Greatest Hits album basically buried "Music" even more. Honestly I don't know why she was so troubled with her marketing and label during this era. An era that could have been brilliant ended as a messed up era.

I think the original "What it feels like for a girl" version would have been a stellar main 3rd single and "Impressive Instant" as the 4th single would have made of "Music" the perfect pop era.

Despite all, I still love the album and the whole cowboy girl reinvention that was juxtaposed with that acoustic meets the machine vibe of the whole album. "Music" is criminally underrated, for some reason I feel that both, "Music" and "Bedtime stories" are her two most overlooked / forgotten eras out of her Pre-2005 career. I know "Music" was still an important era and its lead single is a trademark well known Madonna hit single, but I feel all, debut, Virgin, True Blue, Like a prayer, Erotica, Ray of light, Confessions and even American Life are more remembered eras than "Music" and "Bedtime stories" these days.

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 22:49

I think I agree with nearly everything you said
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:05

I know we blame Warner for the lack of a 4th single, but the truth is they indulged her with WIFLFAG, which I can’t see them wanting to release in all honesty. At this point Madonna never made videos once she started touring, and Warner clearly thought there was only room left for 1 more single and video - and they wanted Amazing (which in fairness is more commercial than II).

Things got sour when Madonna refused to make a video and then pulled the song from the setlist of DWT when they told her they’d use live footage. But if Madonna had said she’d have recorded a video for Amazing if they would pay for a video for II too, everyone could have been happy - the album sold 11 million copies: Warner would have milked it for all it was worth if Madonna gave them stuff to use Tom promote it further.

I also think Warner were right to include AP on the album. It’s an amazing cover and fits the album (with its American Midwest country theme) so well. To be honest I don’t know why she didn’t want to include it.
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:11

^ I also don't get why she hated so much the idea of including "American Pie" on "Music", I think "American Pie" fits well the style and spirit of the album and works really well as a closing track actually.

I will take "American Pie" single release, music video and inclusion on "Music" as a compensation for the lack of a 4th single. If we count "American Pie" then we could say the "Music" era got 4 singles / music videos.

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:16

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix
    ^ I also don't get why she hated so much the idea of including "American Pie" on "Music", I think "American Pie" fits well the style and spirit of the album and works really well as a closing track actually.

I will take "American Pie" single release, music video and inclusion on "Music" as a compensation for the lack of a 4th single. If we count "American Pie" then we could say the "Music" era got 4 singles / music videos.

Well I’m British so I always include it

Had they bothered to release it as a physical single in the US it would have been a huge hit for her there - it reached #29 on the Hot100 from radio play alone (those were the days!)
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:32

Quote Originally Posted by menime123

Had they bothered to release it as a physical single in the US it would have been a huge hit for her there - it reached #29 on the Hot100 from radio play alone (those were the days!)
    "American Pie" was an unexpected and surprising global smash hit everywhere around the world, it only missed the Top 20 in the US because it didn't have a proper physical release. However in the US, the song was not included on the "Music" album so it can't be considered part of that era in that country. Outside of the US, "American Pie" was track 11 from the album pretty much in every international edition. So I guess it counts as part of the era in most markets.

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:40

"American Pie" was an unexpected and surprising global smash hit everywhere around the world, it only missed the Top 20 in the US because it didn't have a proper physical release. However in the US, the song was not included on the "Music" album so it can't be considered part of that era in that country. Outside of the US, "American Pie" was track 11 from the album pretty much in every international edition. So I guess it counts as part of the era in most markets.

Haven’t you basically just reworded my post?
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:43

More like I added stuff to it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Sat November 11th, 2017, 23:48

More like I added stuff to it.
    Word count queen
    M08T10