Thread: Danish charts now includes streaming

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 00:21

http://hitlisten.nu/default.asp?list=t40

Another country that now includes streaming into their singles chart (& albums chart). The full tally of countries who include streaming in their singles chart include:

United States
    Canada
    United Kingdom
    Ireland
    Sweden
    Finland
    Denmark
    Norway
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Germany
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    South Korea

And Australia by tomorrow as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 00:24

I don't get why the music industry completely gives up their principles and fully stands behind this streaming thing, why would they want to establish it even further ?
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 01:03

What principles? It is an industry, and that relies on profit. In many countries, especially in Scandinavia, streaming is simply very profitable, why wouldn't they want that represented?

Again and again: the charts follow the trends set by the customers, not the other way around.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 01:24

Quote Originally Posted by Nackar
    What principles? It is an industry, and that relies on profit. In many countries, especially in Scandinavia, streaming is simply very profitable, why wouldn't they want that represented?

Again and again: the charts follow the trends set by the customers, not the other way around.
    Thank you. I'm getting tired of the arguments about how bad this is... or how it "ruins" the chart. Bullsh*t. I might've believed it a year ago (and I still think streaming rates need to be updated for artists) but no this was needed... like I said in the other thread about Billboard, change is never easy.
    "Crime is increasing
    Trigger happy policing..."
    -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 01:37

@Nackar: It's not the customers that were pushing towards that direction; in fact, it's rather the industry that pushes them towards it and that's what irritates me. Or do you really believe that we would've come this far if the music industry was against streaming from the get-go?
    Principles as in that you had to purchase an album for decades and that was always fine, why giving up on it if it always worked? And as I already said in another thread, if you had to change something for the sake of it, why not upgrade the medium CD the way the CD was to the vinyl? Why do you basically have to get rid of the platform as a whole? People only see the now, but what about jobs that depended on CDs that could get lost now? Streaming makes us even more dependent on the internet and that's dangerous, we have to move towards the opposite direction. And does streaming really generate more gross than CDs or, for the sake of it, downloads? I hardly doubt that...
    The stupidity of the music industry kind of makes me want to hope that streaming starts flopping heavily and they'll have no way back since the previous systems already got actively ruined.
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 14:17

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy94
    @Nackar: It's not the customers that were pushing towards that direction; in fact, it's rather the industry that pushes them towards it and that's what irritates me. Or do you really believe that we would've come this far if the music industry was against streaming from the get-go?
    I don't see your point here. You mean the industry pushes people to go streaming? Of course, because it's a method for them to make some money from people who would otherwise often just download illegally. Sure, they'll push their new source of income: that doesn't mean it'll be popular - it is only popular because people LIKE it. The industry could push any mode of music consumption on us as they like, but it's the consumer that decides whether they want any part of it. Streaming started out very tiny - I downloaded Spotify for the first time in 2010 and was the only person I knew who had it. It wasn't pushed at all at the time. It took off because people liked what it offered, not because they were told to do so by the industry.

Principles as in that you had to purchase an album for decades and that was always fine, why giving up on it if it always worked?
    Except it clearly no longer works well because sales are falling each and every year and are a mere shadow of what they once were. And, as far as I am aware, you can still buy an album. It is still counted. There is nothing stopping you from consuming music in the way you prefer. In fact, there's more diversity in choice than ever before!

And as I already said in another thread, if you had to change something for the sake of it, why not upgrade the medium CD the way the CD was to the vinyl?
    They're not changing for the sake of it, but because of necessity. There is zero comparison between the change from vinyl to CD and the change from sales to streaming. The former was an upgrade to a superior medium of storing and listening to music, but it was still a physical product you purchased. The latter constitutes a significant change in the method of consumption. Many people don't want a "better" CD - they just don't want to buy their music en masse anymore like they did in the past.

Why do you basically have to get rid of the platform as a whole?
    Except they're not. You can still buy CDs.

People only see the now, but what about jobs that depended on CDs that could get lost now?
    That's a shame, if that happens. It also happens with literally every single change in any industry. Should we give up on digital switchboards and go back to huge centers where people connect phone calls so that we have more jobs? Should we scratch traffic lights so we can have more police officers standing on road crossings?

Streaming makes us even more dependent on the internet and that's dangerous, we have to move towards the opposite direction. And does streaming really generate more gross than CDs or, for the sake of it, downloads? I hardly doubt that...
    I don't know if streaming generates more revenuethan CDs too - but we can't know, we're not insiders and it's all conjecture. It's also irrelevant, because CD sales generates less and less revenue because sales are falling. I am sure labels would PREFER we all bought CDs, obviously. They all want to go back to the 90s. But we're NOT, and they CAN'T, so thankfully they're trying different methods.

This is all hugely off-topic, so I apologize to LostAvenger. I suppose we can continue by PM if you want to, or in the other thread.

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 14:23

Another day, another chart.

I'm pretty much indifferent to it, providing we still have access to sales only charts. I think that it's only fair that charts reflect what's popular - I've come round to that.

Superstar
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 18:50

I hate streaming but I can definitely see where they're coming from with this new rule. The change is inevitable as people are not stupid and won't be buying music that they can stream for free or for a relatively small fee. It's the 21st century, we don't need to fabricate more physical products than needed and then worry where to store it when everything goes digital. Space becomes more and more precious, even on our computers. I haven't downloaded anything for over two years (bar the free U2 album) as I get bored with music quite quickly so why should I keep it in my computer's memory? I would obviously stream what I like at a particular moment. If that brings money to the record labels, better for them. This change is bound to happen all over the world, I just wish the streaming habits had more unpredictability and dynamism for the sake of the charts as boredom is the last thing we need. Having said that, I didn't even know that Danish charts were streaming-free until last week. For anyone interested in the formulae that they applied, here are some details:
    http://www.oic.dk/mi2013/PDF/Info/MI_-_ ... ams_DK.pdf

Basically, for songs 1 sale = 100 streams meanwhile there's an interesting gimmick for the albums where streams of the most popular track from a record will never account (for chart sales purposes of course) for more than 70% of other songs' streams.
    Let's see how the new rule increased sales of the Danish Albums Top 10 by comparing the previous week's figures to the new one:

Album Top 10 - Uge 45

1. Lars H.U.G.: '10 sekunders stilhed' (NY - 1 - 3273)
    2. Poul Krebs: 'Sådan nogen som os - og alle de andre' (NY - 1 - 1454)
    3. Kandis: '16' (1 - 2 - 977) GU
    4. Leonard Cohen: 'Popular Problems' (5 - 7 - 495) GU
    5. Barbara Moleko: 'Lykken er...' (4 - 25 - 467)
    6. Taylor Swift: '1989' (2 - 2 - 388)
    7. Rasmus Walter: 'Verden i stå' (6 - 3 - 351)
    8. Magtens Korridorer: 'Før alting bliver nat' (7 - 7 - 295)
    9. Sam Smith: 'In the Lonely Hour' (17 - 24 - 279)
    10. Bob Dylan & The Band: 'The Basement Tapes Raw...' (NY - 1 - 269)

Album Top 10 - Uge 46

1. Pink Floyd: 'The Endless River' (NY - 1 - 4966)
    2. Ed Sheeran: 'x' (16 - 21 - 1708)
    3. Kandis: '16' (3 - 3 - 1315) GU
    4. Foo Fighters: 'Sonic Highways' (NY - 1 - 1305)
    5. Lars H.U.G.: '10 sekunders stilhed' (1 - 2 - 1169)
    6. Sam Smith: 'In the Lonely Hour' (9 - 25 - 904)
    7. Christopher: 'Told You So' (18 - 34 - 867)
    8. Calvin Harris: 'Motion' (23 - 2 - 721)
    9. Joey Moe: 'Joey' (15 - 9 - 650)
    10. Maroon 5: 'V' (33 - 9 - 492)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 19:01

It's interesting that Denmark is including streaming data in their Albums chart. Which other countries have already done this?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 19:24

@maroon, it's clear streaming has helped add to an album's success as is the case of Ed and Sam returning to the top 10 of the album charts. I also assumed Denmark already had the streaming in place since it's for singles. Guess they're just now included it for albums since streaming had already been part of the singles charts (since some songs have been certified for streams).
    "Crime is increasing
    Trigger happy policing..."
    -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-14, 20:22

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    It's interesting that Denmark is including streaming data in their Albums chart. Which other countries have already done this?
    Norway, Sweden, and Finland. All of the Nordic countries (bar Iceland) where Spotify is king.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 01:23

Out of the Singles Chart's top 40, 37 (!) of last week's titles were Christmas-related. In other words: There were 37 new or re-entries this week.