User Tag List

Thread: US (Billboard) Singles & Album Charts Excel File, Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-02-15, 14:44

Hello:

I appreciate this will have been asked (and no doubt answered) before, but I'll be doggone if I can find it. I would like someone to furnish me with an Excel file of the complete Billboard singles & album chart if that is at all possible. I have tried emailing Kingofskiffle on a couple of occasions but received no response.

And you may ask yourself, why doesn't he use the Billboard magazine archive which is freely available at the publication's website (or on Google Books)? Answer, I have been, but I have reached January 1961 where things get hellishly confusing. That's after the fact that, in the years prior to that, the Billboard offices seem to have been staffed primarily by idiots who have no idea how to count how many weeks an album has been on the chart, what the proper title is, or even who the artist is in a great many cases.

It would make my life much easier if someone has already done it. If someone were to tell me, 'I've done it, but get off your lazy British backside and do it yourself,' I would understand that, but I don't want to feel that I'm wasting my efforts if someone has already done it and got it right.

*PS - if anyone gets the popular culture reference contained within this post, you win a big sloppy wet kiss from me (probably in smilie form).

Cheers,
    Stephen Butler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 10-02-15, 07:43

It's not hard to understand it. I know it very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-02-15, 15:52

Thank you to the one person who posted a reply. I note that my post has been viewed 175 times at the time of writing, but no-one is able to assist me with this? It would be nice to receive more replies, even if they were simply to tell me to get lost. What is the problem with the Billboard charts? I cannot believe that nobody has them and would be generous enough to share them with me, or have patience enough to write a short reply along the lines of 'do your own donkey work.'

I hope that someone is able to help. Thanks again.

Stephen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-02-15, 15:58

I think what you want, does not exist.

It's thousands and thousands of charts over 50 years!

I suggest Record Research:

http://www.recordresearch.com/

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-02-15, 17:19

I am sure lots of people have a database of a sort that they created themselves. However, A point and click download for free database of all Hot 100 and BB200 charts since whenever though likely does not exist,

What does it take to say create a complete database of the Hot 100 back to 1958? At this point, just the time to download 3000 charts one at a time. Used to be that you would have to pay for that too but most chart archives are for Billboard are now available for free

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 17-02-15, 14:09

My two cents:
    My advise: Get the work done as far as you can with the data freely available.
    Should you encounter problems, or have to break a tie or complete missing data, then post the question in the "US Billboard Chart Requests" thread; and somebody will certainly assist.
    if you may allow me, what is the fun in getting a complete data package already broken down on .xls?
    NB: The weeky-by-week chart collections books from Joel Whitburn are great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 17-02-15, 21:42

If it is really important for you to get these charts, you can subscribe to Billboard for about 100 US Dollars a year, and you can search their archives on billboard.biz not just back to 1958, but I think all the way back to 1940 when they first started publishing charts (their search engine is very messy and not very good, though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 18-02-15, 21:50

Quote Originally Posted by sbutler860
    Hello:

Cheers,
    Stephen Butler.
    What about any contact to you?

For instance albums:
    About 3000 charts, one day = one chart (from paper to something digital, for instance .xls) easy to count, 3000 : 365 days = 8,2 years! Every day, sunday, monday, weekend, holidays, christmas. Only one chart, 1-2 hours per day. One clik joined files to mail, second clik sending mail = 25 seconds. Do you think that anyone just sent it to you?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-15, 20:39

I have the complete single charts and many album charts in Excel.

It was a lot of work!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-15, 21:04

A lot of work and maybe even some cash. Billboard.biz has a monthly cost to it. It takes me 4 minutes to copy and paste 1 spreadsheet from .biz . The Hot 100, for example, is about 3000 charts or about 12,000 minutes which amounts to about 200 hours. Unelss you don't have a full time job, that is likely a months-long project, not something that can be done quickly.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-02-15, 08:12

Quote Originally Posted by M2M
    A lot of work and maybe even some cash. Billboard.biz has a monthly cost to it. It takes me 4 minutes to copy and paste 1 spreadsheet from .biz . The Hot 100, for example, is about 3000 charts or about 12,000 minutes which amounts to about 200 hours. Unelss you don't have a full time job, that is likely a months-long project, not something that can be done quickly.
    But: Billboard has the complete archive from 1983 till now (for the album charts) online! For Free!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-02-15, 13:06

For singles chart : try to find Billboard Pop Me 1890-2013 (also I heard about 2008, 2010 and 2012 versions) in Internet.
    It's Excel file, which include all chart positions, even before Hot 100 era.
    Hello, my name is Lina. 32 years old. Half Lithuanian / half Russian lady, which like old charts, Cliff, Elvis, Engelbert and 90s pop boybands.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-02-15, 15:05

Quote Originally Posted by Indi
    Quote Originally Posted by M2M
    But: Billboard has the complete archive from 1983 till now (for the album charts) online! For Free!

It doesn't look to be in a nice downloadable format though. If that is the source to use then it will take longer than 4 minutes a chart and be an even longer project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-02-15, 18:40

I have the complete single charts and many album charts in Excel.

It was a lot of work!
    Can you give me your mail?

Did you try to find something in this archive, it's uselless, a lot of mistakes. Weeks on chart are total, you can't find debut date, look into Eurythmics albums in 1984 "Touch" and "Touch Dance" 11-08-1984 and next weeks. Other albums have 0 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-03-15, 01:28

I have the entire Billboard singles chart history from its inception in July 1940 through 2014 sitting in a MS Access database. This took me a couple of years to compile and hand enter. It has a heavy influence from Joel Whitburns books with regard to Artist name standardization and chart re-entry.
    Understandable, this isn't something that I would just post for anyone to have. However, I would be happy to share with anyone who could help me with my current project of compiling the complete history of the Billboard album charts from 1945 to 2014. I actually have a mostly complete list from 1945 through 1954 and a fully complete list from 1984 through 2014. It's the years between 1955 and 1983 where I have very spotty info mainly from Google Books.
    If anyone or group of people can help me find that information, I would be more than happy to share my work on the Billboard Singles charts.