User Tag List

View Poll Results: If the UK was to have a "People's vote" tomorrow on Brexit, how would you vote?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain in the European Union

45 73.77%
  • Leave the European Union

16 26.23%
Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1582

Thread: UK Politics: May requests extension to Article 50 until June 30th

Legend
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:30

MPs vote against a no-deal Brexit... so does that literally mean we either leave with a deal or not at all?

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice
    Him or her I shall follow

Legend
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:45

So far:

MPs have voted against a No Deal Brexit by a majority of 4 (308-312).

MPs have voted against the "Malthouse Compromise" by a majority of 210 (164-374) - this would've seen a delay in Article 50 to May 22nd, with a managed No Deal Brexit to follow.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:49

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    MPs vote against a no-deal Brexit... so does that literally mean we either leave with a deal or not at all?

Technically it’s none binding - it’s just the house ‘coming together’ (yeah right) to clearly illustrate we need a deal. The problem is the EU now have all the power: they must approve an extension if negotiations are to continue. May will ask for an extension on 21st March and all 27 EU states must agree to an extension - if one doesn’t, there is no extension.

The EU seems resolved to stick with the existing deal. So if it’s truly the only deal on the table, they’ll just refuse the extension - in essence we’re sort of calling their bluff (sort of). If they refuse they then call our bluff and we leave with no deal OR MPs re-vote (again) and accept the existing deal - before the 29th March.

If they do grant the extension, it’s anyones guess - we could ask for 3 years in order to put trade agreements in place, or we could ask for 3 months to hold an election... or another referendum. Another referendum is my worst case scenario as I genuinely believe it contradicts democracy and demonstrates to Scotland that with enough pressure, they can get a 2nd independence vote. Plus I think it will give us the exact same result.

Personally I think May is done, though I disagree with replacing her with a man under the illusion he could do better.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:54

If the Uk request an extension, the EU will want to know what the UK will do with that extension. they said that they will not grant an extesion just because the UK can't get together a plan, right?

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:57

If we have a general election I really think we’ll end up with a hung parliament - the Tories will win but be in a worse position, meaning no general election.

If May steps down and there’s a change of leader, the EU has no obligations to revise the deal. There is nothing to say that anyone else can do any better than what’s on the table now. If anyone had something - anything - that May could use to get Brexit done it would have been used by now. As such, a change in leader would only be worth it if the tories elected a new leader that then called a general election to boost their majority. Except there isn’t anyone else who wants to deal with Brexit and no one else who would increase a majority if they then called an election.

So we are left with May leading, asking for an extension to change a deal the EU might not change. In our efforts to leave the EU, we have literally handed over all Brexit power to them. If that’s not them having th last laugh I don’t know what is, and all MPs need firing.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:59

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    If the Uk request an extension, the EU will want to know what the UK will do with that extension. they said that they will not grant an extesion just because the UK can't get together a plan, right?

More or less, yes. We have no other plan. We are simply sitting ducks hoping the EU will do something to solve this mess, because we now have no power. We don’t want to leave with no deal but don’t like the deal we’ve got, but have no alternatives to propose.

It’s messier than a Kardashian party.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 19:59

"Barnier had advised senior MEPs, during a private meeting ahead of his public comments, that at present there was no consensus among the EU’s member states over an extension, let alone on the conditions that would be attached.At the same time, the EU’s deputy Brexit negotiator, Sabine Weyand, told EU ambassadors at a meeting in Brussels that MPs’ decision to resurrect the Malthouse compromise– a variant of plans rejected by Brussels numerous times – showed parliament was “divorced from reality”.

Source; The Guardian

Legend
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:01

Confirmed events thus far:

• MPs have voted for an amendment to reject the UK leaving the EU at anytime by 312 to 308
    • They also voted down the government motion that it amended
    • The government's original motion only ruled out leaving without a deal on 29 March
    • The successful amendment was put forward by Yvette Cooper after its sponsor pulled out
    • MPs voted down a second amendment - known as the Malthouse Compromise - calling for a delay to Brexit from 29 March to 22 May to give time to leave without a deal
    • The PM's withdrawal agreement was defeated in the Commons by 149 votes on Tuesday
    • Jeremy Corbyn has again called for a general election

Theresa May has completely lost control - she ordered her MPs to vote her way, a number of them - some of which were her Ministers - abstained or defied her orders.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:04

Her deal is going to get a 3rd vote isn’t it?
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:05

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    More or less, yes. We have no other plan. We are simply sitting ducks hoping the EU will do something to solve this mess, because we now have no power. We don’t want to leave with no deal but don’t like the deal we’ve got, but have no alternatives to propose.

It’s messier than a Kardashian party.
    I think this is shaping up for you guys to stay in the EU, now or later on...

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:08

I think this is shaping up for you guys to stay in the EU, now or later on...
    Nope. I don’t think we’ll get the extension. It takes only 1 country out of 27 to say ‘no’ and we still leave. I’m now thinking May has played this very, very well - the EU will say no extension, she’ll come back to parliament and ask them to vote on her deal again, letting them know it’s her deal or no deal.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:13

But didn't mps voted for not leaving without a deal?

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:18

But didn't mps voted for not leaving without a deal?

It it means absolutely nothing at the moment. We’ve left it too late to have any control over it - we have no control over anything now until the EU agrees on an extension. If they don’t extend then we have no deal, and will legally leave on the 29th March whether we want to or not.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:21

Between our incompetence and the EU’s firmness, no other country will surely ever attempt this

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:24

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Between our incompetence and the EU’s firmness, no other country will surely ever attempt this
    The only way another country would ever attempt this is if the entire country was anti-EU. Anyone who has a split vote like us then god help them.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:25

Can't you revoke article 50?
    As far as I’m aware, there’s no time for the UK to revoke it before 29th March. So we have to ask the EU for an extension - which they are not obliged to do. If we get the extension then we can revoke it, yes. But everything hangs on this extension now.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:35

Can't you revoke article 50?
    The European Court of Justice has decided that the UK can revoke article 50 unilaterally so it is possible. However in the absence of another referendum it would be a massive attack on democracy (not that it hasn't happened before in the EU numerous times mind you).

Also it has to be said that the vote of parliament also goes against the referendum result as it essentially blocks what people voted for: Brexit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:35

I highly doubt - though it clearly isn't completely impossible - that the EU will prevent an extension.

All commentators point to a no deal being bad for both the UK and the EU.

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:38

The EU will provide an extension but it will probably not accept any other deal. So that will leave the UK with two options: either take the deal or remain forever in the EU in limbo. The second scenario is not great either as it will leave the UK in neverending negotiations with the EU while the uncertainty will continue hurting the economy. Both scenarios are good for the rest of the EU though so I can see it happening...

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:43

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    The only way another country would ever attempt this is if the entire country was anti-EU. Anyone who has a split vote like us then god help them.
    The danger of a successful Brexit is that many others would follow... hence the EU will do everything in its power to make Brexit a complete failure... it's just self-preservation after all. That's why I believe that it is very important for the UK to leave successfully. Because that will change completely the balance of power between states and supranational institutions/directorates within the EU and that is good for all of us (bar one)

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 20:44

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I highly doubt - though it clearly isn't completely impossible - that the EU will prevent an extension.

All commentators point to a no deal being bad for both the UK and the EU.

But not a single alternative remains viable - so if the EU believes in May’s deal and insist it’s the only one... they shouldn’t grant the extension. Granting one suggests they are open to further negotiations and if they are, shame on them for not negotiating over the last few months instead.

I support no deal because I don’t think we should be afraid of it, but I’m happy if we have a deal in place.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-03-19, 23:07

I officially declare this the biggest political mess of all time anywhere in the world.

Donald, Greece and Italy tried, but they could never. Iconic.

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-03-19, 06:18

Quote Originally Posted by Rihab View Post

I officially declare this the biggest political mess of all time anywhere in the world.

Donald, Greece and Italy tried, but they could never. Iconic.
    why r u happy about it?