View Poll Results: If the UK was to have a "People's vote" tomorrow on Brexit, how would you vote?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain in the European Union

51 69.86%
  • Leave the European Union

22 30.14%
Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 1904

Thread: UK Politics

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Fri July 5th, 2019, 00:22

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    I’m glad you’re on our side bb. <3
    Always Someone has to keep the monsters away.
    It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
    But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri July 5th, 2019, 12:42

Quote Originally Posted by menime123 View Post
    She is. In her defence, part of the argument for leaving Brexit is that we are forced to obey laws they pass that we may disagree with. Politically, we enslaved ourselves.

Personally I like Ann, but not fond of her views on many things. But knowing how pro Brexit she is, the fact she’s come out of political retirement for this, her age and the fact she’s only in this role for a few months... she just doesn’t care whether she’s being PC in the EU or not. It is refreshing to see someone just lay it on the line, without a single care of repercussions for her career.

Doesn’t mean I agree. The irony of mentioning colonies rising up and fighting back on the US’s Independence Day though
    Agree, that was a deliberate mischaracterisation from madgefan, it was clear what she meant.

Her views on homosexuality are to be expected from a devout Christian I guess, I know some religions which have much harsher views on it. I don’t see what’s wrong with her science comment...as far as I know science is unable to explain homosexuality properly as of now and there is no gene found, so yeah ok science doesn’t have to answer it as it is what it is but technically science could actually answer the question “why are people gay?” Couldn’t it? Even as a gay person I’m curious about that myself.

Like you I like Ann for just saying what she thinks regardless of whether I agree with what she says or not and lots of people feel the same way about the EU anyway.
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sat July 6th, 2019, 00:38

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrazy View Post
    Agree, that was a deliberate mischaracterisation from madgefan, it was clear what she meant.

Her views on homosexuality are to be expected from a devout Christian I guess, I know some religions which have much harsher views on it. I don’t see what’s wrong with her science comment...as far as I know science is unable to explain homosexuality properly as of now and there is no gene found, so yeah ok science doesn’t have to answer it as it is what it is but technically science could actually answer the question “why are people gay?” Couldn’t it? Even as a gay person I’m curious about that myself.

Like you I like Ann for just saying what she thinks regardless of whether I agree with what she says or not and lots of people feel the same way about the EU anyway.
    Mischaracterisation? I don't think so, we are a member of the EU voluntarily, we have never been forced against our will to do anything. As I said previously , comparing it to slavery is insulting to all those who died, often in horrific circumstances. Before she stands up in the EU parliament and embarrasses our nation she should think carefully about what she is saying and the consequences her words have.

As for homosexuality, hiding her venomous views behind the shield of Christianity is no excuse. Prejudice is prejudice no matter how they try to dress it up. I include all religions here, I'm all for freedom of religion as long as it doesn't cause hatred, promote prejudice or cause other human beings to suffer in the name of that religion. Her comment on 'science may find an answer' is very dangerous as it implies it's something to be cured. We've heard that sort of talk before, it was called Eugenics. She certainly didn't mean it in the sense of scientific discovery as to what might be the biological mechanisms behind it.

On today of all days being Pride, we should remember those hard won freedoms we have achieved, equal age of consent, gay marriage (she opposed ALL), that people like Ann Widdecombe would deprive us of if they had their way.

Never talk politics or religion ... oops
    Last edited by Madgefan; Sat July 6th, 2019 at 02:23.

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

by » Sat July 6th, 2019, 07:18

I wonder why no one's bothering to properly investigate the traces of Nigel Farage money donors, his parties and political projects have been far from totally transparent for decades.
    Waffles are checked cookies

by » Mon July 8th, 2019, 00:07

Quote Originally Posted by Madgefan View Post
    Mischaracterisation? I don't think so, we are a member of the EU voluntarily, we have never been forced against our will to do anything. As I said previously , comparing it to slavery is insulting to all those who died, often in horrific circumstances. Before she stands up in the EU parliament and embarrasses our nation she should think carefully about what she is saying and the consequences her words have.

As for homosexuality, hiding her venomous views behind the shield of Christianity is no excuse. Prejudice is prejudice no matter how they try to dress it up. I include all religions here, I'm all for freedom of religion as long as it doesn't cause hatred, promote prejudice or cause other human beings to suffer in the name of that religion. Her comment on 'science may find an answer' is very dangerous as it implies it's something to be cured. We've heard that sort of talk before, it was called Eugenics. She certainly didn't mean it in the sense of scientific discovery as to what might be the biological mechanisms behind it.

On today of all days being Pride, we should remember those hard won freedoms we have achieved, equal age of consent, gay marriage (she opposed ALL), that people like Ann Widdecombe would deprive us of if they had their way.

Never talk politics or religion ... oops
    I’m not sure any of us are disagreeing necessarily here. Although I would point out again that whilst we voluntarily entered into the EU, a significant number of EU laws have been subsequently passed that we disagreed with but had to uphold because decades ago we agreed to be a member. We enslaved ourselves, and that’s the view point Ann has taken.

In terms of Ann’s views on homosexuality... I watched her on Big Brother where she was closest to a married lesbian. They got on incredibly well. I don’t personally think she’s homophobic in her day to day life and how she interacts with people one-on-one, which I think for a woman born in the 1940s is possibly the best we can ask for.

I don’t respect her views, but I respect her right to have her own views - which is exactly how I feel about her politics

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

by » Wed July 10th, 2019, 17:19

John Major threatens to sue Boris Johnson in case he tries to bypass the Parliament in his attempt to achieve a no deal Brexit.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed July 10th, 2019, 21:46

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post

John Major threatens to sue Boris Johnson in case he tries to bypass the Parliament in his attempt to achieve a no deal Brexit.
    It's shocking that in a parliamentary democracy it could even be suggested that Parliament be bypassed and shutdown. So much for 'seizing back control'. Still , in the day we became a US colony I shouldn't be surprised. Trump dictating who we should appoint as our ambassador to the US, I thought our Brexit humiliation couldn't get much worse, how wrong I was .. it seems it has a long way to run. We've come full circle, from Master to the Puppet.

Legend
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 17:25

Iran 'choosing dangerous path' over tanker seizure

Jeremy Hunt warns of "serious consequences" for Iran

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has expressed his "extreme disappointment" in a phone call with his Iranian counterpart following the seizure of a British-flagged tanker in the Gulf.

It comes after Mr Hunt warned Iran may be choosing a "dangerous path" of "illegal and destabilising" behaviour.

The Stena Impero's owners have been unable to contact the ship, which was surrounded in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran said the vessel was "violating international maritime rules".

In the call, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told Mr Hunt the ship must now go through a legal process, according to the Iranian news agency ISNA.

A second British-owned Liberian-flagged tanker, the MV Mesdar, was also boarded by armed guards but was released on Friday.

What happened?

The Stena Impero was seized by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard on Friday in a key waterway in the Gulf.

The tanker was surrounded by four vessels and a helicopter before heading into Iranian waters, Mr Hunt said.

"We are not looking at military options," he said. "We are looking at a diplomatic way to resolve this situation."

A senior Iranian diplomat was summoned to the Foreign Office in London following the ship's seizure.

Mr Hunt confirmed he had spoken to his Iranian counterpart on Saturday afternoon.

He said he expressed "extreme disappointment that having assured me last Saturday Iran wanted to de-escalate the situation they have behaved in the opposite way."

He also tweeted: "Yesterday's action in Gulf shows worrying signs Iran may be choosing a dangerous path of illegal and destabilising behaviour after Gibraltar's legal detention of oil bound for Syria."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has also demanded the release of the tanker and its crew, urging all sides to "show restraint".

He added in a tweet: "Trump tearing up the Iran nuclear deal has fuelled confrontation."

Another emergency Cobra committee meeting is due to be held later.

Iran's state-run IRNA news agency said the tanker was seized after it collided with a fishing boat and failed to respond to calls from the smaller craft.

The vessel's owners said it was fully complying with regulations and was in international waters when it was approached.

Stena Bulk said the 23 crew members, who are Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino, were in good health.

It said it was preparing a formal request to visit those onboard the seized ship.

A UK government spokeswoman told the BBC: "We have advised UK shipping to stay out of the area for an interim period."

What does Iran say?

Iran's foreign minister Javad Zarif tweeted that the UK "must cease being an accessory to #EconomicTerrorism of the US".

He said it was Iran that guarantees the security of the Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz.

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2019, 20:36

what a time for a man like BoJo to lead the country...the real life Suicide Squad

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 00:38

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    what a time for a man like BoJo to lead the country...the real life Suicide Squad
    Yeah, he'll probably order the RN to torpedo one of their ships

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 02:33

This is alarming. Feels like the UK is slowly being dragged into another American-made war in the Middle East. Let's just hope BoJo is smarter than that. (I doubt it.)

Legend
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 09:17

During my adult life, I’ve known - teeny bit of Blair’s run as PM and then Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May and likely Boris Johnson.

What an era to live through - British politics is the shits and with Boris at the helm, lord knows what’s ahead.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2019, 23:40

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    During my adult life, I’ve known - teeny bit of Blair’s run as PM and then Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May and likely Boris Johnson.

What an era to live through - British politics is the shits and with Boris at the helm, lord knows what’s ahead.
    You missed Thatcher though .. now that was a time to be alive

Legend
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 06:17

She was long before my time!

And besides, I love our Maggie!

Legend
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 19:10

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    She was long before my time!

And besides, I love our Maggie!
    Controversial opinion as a gay man!

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 20:40

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    She's the closest to a political Diva UK had though.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 22:25

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Very. She did as much as humanly possible to obstruct any progress on Gay Rights. In fact she set us back years with legislation like Section 28. Still, she stirred my political activism for those very reasons so it wasn't all bad
    She was a strong leader, I admire that compared to our current crop, but someone who absolutely didn't listen and had a rather limited outlook on social issues. Which ultimately were the reasons that led to her downfall.

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 00:29

Well, I guess Wayne’s view on Maggie is retrospective (like mine) - had we both lived through the 80s I suspect our opinions might be different

Maggie was far from perfect, but for me I admire her strength of character and sheer determination. It takes an extraordinarily woman to play (what is traditionally still very much) a male game and stay at the top of the pyramid for a decade. Plus she was quite witty at times too, quite happy to deliver a well form put down: which in her own way was quite camp

It was always going to take another extraordinary woman to be bold enough to be the 2nd female prime minister too, but sadly Teresa must have left her balls in the farmers field. God loves a trier, and by god was she trying

I can’t believe Boris is going to be PM. Can we please just put him on a zip wire for a few weeks and forget about him?

Legend
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 05:57

Maggie was a phenomenal leader, a truly brilliant prime minister and probably our greatest peacetime leader.

I cannot believe we'll end up with Boris as our PM later today...

Legend
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 13:41

Can't believe Boris is PM.

This acceptance speech they are playing now seems like parody. Lol

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 16:37

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords View Post
    He looks like a chavy Trump
    Probably Trump's distant cousin

Legend
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

by » Tue July 23rd, 2019, 16:48

He's being presented as "Ottoman blood" in Turkish media, as if it's a good thing
    Cha Cha Instructor