Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Tue March 31st, 2015, 07:26

Quote Originally Posted by toni_pest
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishLamb
    who are the two on the far right?
    Exactly.
    Lol, that!!! Last night I was: Who the hell are they?

Well, I'm trying the app and is great. I just can't with the lo-fi, is amazing but $20/month (25,99€ in Spain) is just too much. Luckily there is another monthly fee around $10 (13€ in Spain) with 320kbps songs, still above iTunes who runs through 256kbps.

I will sign If they keep their promises and new releases always are available on TIDAL as on iTunes.
    BLΛƆKPIИK is the revolution

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

by » Tue March 31st, 2015, 12:36

Quote Originally Posted by JeyBeMust
    still above iTunes who runs through 256kbps.
    There isn't a significant difference between 256kbps aac (the one itunes uses) and 360kbps mp3. And I'm assuming they will still sell their music on itunes, but TIDAL will have some sort of exclusive material.

I'm surprised the price is different in Spain, finally something is cheaper in Portugal lol.
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Tue March 31st, 2015, 12:39

This is so self-indulgent. They should've just locked the door and never let any of them out again.

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

by » Tue March 31st, 2015, 12:44

TIDAL debuts with exclusive releases from The White Stripes, Daft Punk, and Arcade Fire

TIDAL, the artist-owned high-fidelity streaming service, debuted today with a bang. Following this afternoon’s declaration signing — which saw the company’s principal owners including Jay Z, Arcade Fire’s Win Butler and Régine Chassagne, Kanye West, Jack White, and Daft Punk together on one stage — TIDAL has now unveiled a bevy of exclusive releases for its initial subscribers.

Among them, The White Stripes’ first-ever television appearance, Daft Punk’s 2006 film Electroma, playlists curated by Arcade Fire, Jay Z, Beyoncé, and Coldplay, a preview of Todd Rundgren’s new collaboration with Lindstrøm and Emil Nikolaisen, and more. Listen here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Tue March 31st, 2015, 18:24

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    Quote Originally Posted by JeyBeMust
    still above iTunes who runs through 256kbps.
    There isn't a significant difference between 256kbps aac (the one itunes uses) and 360kbps mp3. And I'm assuming they will still sell their music on itunes, but TIDAL will have some sort of exclusive material.

I'm surprised the price is different in Spain, finally something is cheaper in Portugal lol.
    Yeah... Thanks to our amazing and corrupt Government, taxes are through the roof... :-?
    BLΛƆKPIИK is the revolution

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

by » Wed April 1st, 2015, 17:02

Shares of the streaming music company Jay Z bought spiked 938% on Tuesday

The streaming company Jay Z bought spiked 938% on Tuesday.

Aspiro owns Tidal, the music streaming service Jay Z launched with other celebrities earlier this week.

Earlier in March, Jay Z bought a majority of Aspiro for $54 million.

From Reuters:

In what appeared to reflect investors clamouring too late for a piece of Aspiro's music streaming service Tidal, the shares were up 938 percent at 11 Swedish crowns just before trading was halted ...

The event is likely to have spurred interest in Aspiro's stock, lifting it to a level where buyers looked set to face losses of some 90 percent given the looming squeeze-out of the rump left after Jay-Z's $54 million acquisition of the company. Those remaining shares will be bought at 1.05 crowns each.

The surge forced the Nasdaq OMX Stockholm exchange to halt trading on the stock.

In a statement, the exchange said it "encourages all market participants to take measures to ensure that orders are reflecting the correct market value."

A Nasdaq spokesman told Reuters that, "There are reasons to suppose that some have not noticed the communication around the bid."

http://www.businessinsider.com/aspiro-s ... ent-2015-4

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Wed April 1st, 2015, 23:39

I am not here for this. They are all acting like it's a big deal, but it's really not. You're rich enough, stop inventing things that already exist just so you can earn some more cash.

#lilyallendaqueen
    Pleasure over matter.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 00:53

Quote Originally Posted by RaFanatic
    I am not here for this. They are all acting like it's a big deal, but it's really not. You're rich enough, stop inventing things that already exist just so you can earn some more cash.

#lilyallendaqueen

Yes!

Ps has Lily spoke out against it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 00:57

I wish beyonce didn't sign up for this ugh... She needs to focus more on her sales not streaming
    Life is anything but dull,at any corner there is something or someone waiting...

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 09:24

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by RaFanatic

#lilyallendaqueen

Yes!

Ps has Lily spoke out against it?
    Yuup, check her twitter. She said some smart things
    Pleasure over matter.

Legend
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 18:27

This is turning out to be a big joke online. The hashtag was an epic fail since the service (and the purpose of it alone) was criticized more than it was actually promoted, the other artists who joined are getting bashed by their fans, the YouTube video has been getting more dislikes, (they even closed the comments section of one video discussing lossless audio) and the Facebook administrator of the official TIDAL page is having a hard time pacifying the negative reception by replying to the users one by one. :-? :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 19:24

Jay Z says he no longer has a record deal, opts to release music through TIDAL

Jay Z continued to try to explain exactly how TIDAL is different from any other streaming service by participating in a Q&A at NYU/Tisch School’s Clive Davis Instititue of Record Music on Wednesday. The hip-hop mogul fielded student-supplied questions from NYU professor Errol Kolosine alongside TIDAL exec Vania Schlogel.

Perhaps the most interesting revelation in the discussion came in a few short sentences from Jay. When asked if TIDAL would exclude major labels in its drive to service artists, he said that wasn’t a realistic possibility considering how artists’ contracts work. “But if you don’t have a contract as an independent artist, then you can do whatever you want and we would love to work with you.”

Kolosine followed up by inquiring if that meant an artist could theoretically use TIDAL in lieu of a record contract. Jay responded, “I’m on TIDAL. I don’t have a record deal. So, yes.” What he appeared to be saying, then, is that even though he owns Roc Nation, he doesn’t have a contract himself. This could beg the question of whether any future Jay Z albums may be released exclusively on the streaming service.

But that doesn’t mean TIDAL is a label in its own right. “Don’t disrespect us, man,” Jay replied when asked if this was the case. “We have bigger ambitions than that.”

Those ambitions include potentially changing the pay structure for other streaming services. “The royalty rates will be higher than other services,” Schlogel said. “In addition to that, there won’t be that free tier that’s been depressing the recorded music industry, and frankly been a part of what’s been driving the downfall of the recorded music industry.” Jay added, “So we don’t really view [Spotify] as competitors. As the tide rises, all the boats rise.” Schlogel later mentioned that student discount prices are in the works, as well.

As for how smaller, independent artists will be able to showcase their work on the platform, Schlogel admitted it’s a work in progress. “We’re still a very young, nascent company and we have a lot of initiatives that we’re working on, especially when it comes to indie talent, emerging talent, giving people visibility, giving people a forum to put their music up and giving them control of their distribution and their creative content.”

Jay noted that their big push is currently the Discovery Program, where TIDAL’s owners will showcase talent they’re into or have stumbled upon. “Imagine if Win [Butler] from Arcade Fire puts up an artist that he discovered in Haiti — and he had this idea, actually, I don’t want to step on his idea — and through the curation process gets something really good and introduces it to the world. And then the world is inspired by that sound. It gets a little ethereal from there, but just the possibilities of what TIDAL can do are really exciting, on a creative front.”

The pair also discussed whether TIDAL’s exclusive content would ever be available for download (“The analytics that we’re seeing tell us that streaming is the next thing, and downloads are going down,” Jay noted), bringing the value back to music, and what was in that vague document everyone signed at the initial press conference. Find the full transcript at FADER.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/j ... ugh-tidal/
    I'm glad they made that clear.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 20:01

This is terrible, he is actually trying to force his fans who have supported him for years, into having to subscribe to this service. Complete exploitation.

Legend
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

by » Thu April 2nd, 2015, 20:02

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy
    This is terrible, he is actually trying to force his fans who have supported him for years, into having to subscribe to this service. Complete exploitation.
    There's nothing in the article that suggests his releases will be exclusive to TIDAL, misleading title.

I see more cases of people wanting it to fail than expecting it to fail.

And instead of always throwing shade, I wish Lily would clean up her act and actually release something worth listening to.

Legend
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

by » Fri April 3rd, 2015, 05:55

It's definitely not a simple case of people wanting it to fail. Jay-Z and company are acting like they are completely robbed from receiving any money from their music judging from his marketing campaign of TIDAL when they are actually the biggest and most overpaid people in the industry. He invites all the A-list artists in his clique and does a giant and pretentious press conference talking about how they will "change the world" and that "history will be made" only to find out that they are all crying out for more royalties.

It's just crazy how their rebuttal statement against the criticism is that "one needs money to make music" which is false. Real musicians can simply enjoy creating music by writing songs and playing actual musical instruments, their whole idea of saying that money plays a huge factor in sustaining the industry is crap. Just look at Beck, he has been in the industry for more than two decades and has continued to make music all his life (never did he come close to earning a fraction of Jay-Z's wealth) but you never hear him whine about drastic changes in music consumption because not every artist is like Madonna or Jay-Z who make music mainly for more sales, revenue and other commercial purposes. If they actually cared for the artists who don't get enough profit, they should have just launched a platform that can promote unsigned and unheard artists, or something to that effect.

Also, if they were pushing for indie acts to profit so much from this, they should have showed that facet since day one, but since the Carters and company are so big in trying to overwhelm everyone by surprising the public with the intense star power and media hype backing them up, they thought that bringing the most powerful and most Grammy-awarded artists would make it a successful campaign, but it easily exposes that it's another ploy for Jay-Z to reign supreme as this industry juggernaut who will profit even more with this business venture. I think he underestimated the fact that people think before purchasing, he probably thought that everyone will just buy in the hype because everyone's faves are all in it.

by » Fri April 3rd, 2015, 23:43

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    It's definitely not a simple case of people wanting it to fail. Jay-Z and company are acting like they are completely robbed from receiving any money from their music judging from his marketing campaign of TIDAL when they are actually the biggest and most overpaid people in the industry. He invites all the A-list artists in his clique and does a giant and pretentious press conference talking about how they will "change the world" and that "history will be made" only to find out that they are all crying out for more royalties.

It's just crazy how their rebuttal statement against the criticism is that "one needs money to make music" which is false. Real musicians can simply enjoy creating music by writing songs and playing actual musical instruments, their whole idea of saying that money plays a huge factor in sustaining the industry is crap. Just look at Beck, he has been in the industry for more than two decades and has continued to make music all his life (never did he come close to earning a fraction of Jay-Z's wealth) but you never hear him whine about drastic changes in music consumption because not every artist is like Madonna or Jay-Z who make music mainly for more sales, revenue and other commercial purposes. If they actually cared for the artists who don't get enough profit, they should have just launched a platform that can promote unsigned and unheard artists, or something to that effect.

Also, if they were pushing for indie acts to profit so much from this, they should have showed that facet since day one, but since the Carters and company are so big in trying to overwhelm everyone by surprising the public with the intense star power and media hype backing them up, they thought that bringing the most powerful and most Grammy-awarded artists would make it a successful campaign, but it easily exposes that it's another ploy for Jay-Z to reign supreme as this industry juggernaut who will profit even more with this business venture. I think he underestimated the fact that people think before purchasing, he probably thought that everyone will just buy in the hype because everyone's faves are all in it.
    I agree with everything you said in your post. I decided to try their hifi subscription trial. It's a nice service, but it will cost 35 euros a month in my country, which is overpriced in my book, and I find it very hard to hear, what I receive for the extra price. Even the standard subscription is 30% more expensive than Spotify here. It might be an attractive service for real audiophiles, but for me this is a less attractive product compared to other services. I also think that it's a bad look for the big music stars behind it, because their points about this service being so revolutionary and great for music artists compared to other services lack truth.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Sat April 4th, 2015, 00:14

Tidal clearly isn't some revolutionary idea or service. It's just an overpriced streaming service to line the pocket of millionaires. It's been obvious that streaming is the way forward for many years now but Tidal or Spotify isn't the way forward. The music industry needs it's Netflix. I pay £6.99 a month for Netflix which is a bargain for what you are getting.

Fran Healy makes a few good points.

"Only way to get artists a fair cut from streaming is for record companies to acknowledge streaming as broadcast and not a sale"

"Really would be a perfect moment for ALL artists and fans to come together and ask politely to change definition of streaming"

"Bands should get a better cut from streaming for sure. But why should fans have to pay more for that cut?!!"

by » Sun April 5th, 2015, 11:50

Quote Originally Posted by oasisbobo
    The music industry needs it's Netflix. I pay £6.99 a month for Netflix which is a bargain for what you are getting.
    I can see Apple's upcoming service potentially do the trick