User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Karyn White

  1. #1
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Thu June 11th, 2015, 16:57

    So I didn't noticed a thread for Karyn White. She's one of the most underrated artist ever. Discuss everything about Karyn here.


    *Karyn White (1988)
    *Ritual of Love (1991)
    *Make Him Do Right (1994)
    *Carpe Diem (2012)

  2. #2
    Manager
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Thu June 11th, 2015, 18:58

    Yes. She was in a time with high competition among B-List pretty black and exotic girls like, Jody Watley, Vanessa Williams, and Pebbles.


    Although all of these ladies had big r&b dance hits, Janet Jackson dominated, and all of them took a back seat, besides Vanessa Williams who used her theater / broadway training to go into other avenues.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTkm2GO_nc

    What separated Karyn White from:

    Jody Watley: Karyn and Jody both dance, but Karyn was also a soulful balladeer, and their dance styles varied. Karyn was wild in a more "technical Beyonce" way, and ex-Soul Train dancer, Jody, was more gazelle like (a mix of pop, Alvin Ailey, and European) Jody was the flip side of Madonna, if you compared styles.

    Pebbles: Pebbles and Karyn were both pretty and had a strong black audience. But, Pebbles wasn't strong live, but she had big dance/r&b hits, and also married a mega-producer husband.

    Vanessa Williams: Besides the pretty girl r&b group, they both dance and sang, but their styles were totally different. Karyn's soulful vocals were deep-rooted in the genre. Vanessa's soul was more pop & jazz-oriented , unlike other pop black singers, which made her light ballads easy to transition to like "Save The Best For Last."

    Her downfall was getting pregnant and marrying her mega-producer husband.

  3. #3
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,788
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Thu June 11th, 2015, 20:34

    I bought the Ritual Of Love album. It had so many singles!

    But my favorite song: Superwoman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My personal chart with four new entries... at #... - Click here

  4. #4
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Thu June 11th, 2015, 22:05

    Her debut album is a classic. I think she was above Jody just a tad bit and definitely above Pebbles. Does Pebble even have a No. 1?

  5. #5
    Manager
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 00:04

    Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    Her debut album is a classic. I think she was above Jody just a tad bit and definitely above Pebbles. Does Pebble even have a No. 1?
    Yes, by the numbers Karyn barely trumped Jody, but they may have been equal celebrity-wise. I think Superwoman was the classic song by Karyn.

    For Pebbles, Mercedes Boy went to #2, and Giving You The Benefit was #1.

    Romantic by Karyn went to #1, but she's seems to be most known for Superwoman.


  6. #6
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 00:14

    Superwoman is iconic and timeless. It was beautifully written. And she tore it up.

  7. #7
    Manager
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 00:21

    Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    Superwoman is iconic and timeless. It was beautifully written. And she tore it up.
    Lord, she did!

    It's sad that marriage and children were career suicide until maybe after 2005. It hurt Karyn, Pebbles, Brandy and so on. There are rare career reinvention after kids and marriage cases like Diana Ross and Vanessa Williams.

    Having a producer husband seems like a smothering career death too. Tamar Braxton seemed to be in a career cage until that reality show. Also, Karyn and Pebbles lost careers and appeal after, especially Karyn. At least Pebbles barely had a touch of reinvention until Clive/LA snatched TLC from her. I hate that no label stood by Karyn, because she was truly soulful. If she was out today, she may have had the Tamar opportunity.

  8. #8
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 02:29

    Quote Originally Posted by MonaBlissa
    Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    Superwoman is iconic and timeless. It was beautifully written. And she tore it up.
    Lord, she did!

    It's sad that marriage and children were career suicide until maybe after 2005. It hurt Karyn, Pebbles, Brandy and so on. There are rare career reinvention after kids and marriage cases like Diana Ross and Vanessa Williams.

    Having a producer husband seems like a smothering career death too. Tamar Braxton seemed to be in a career cage until that reality show. Also, Karyn and Pebbles lost careers and appeal after, especially Karyn. At least Pebbles barely had a touch of reinvention until Clive/LA snatched TLC from her. I hate that no label stood by Karyn, because she was truly soulful. If she was out today, she may have had the Tamar opportunity.
    Well after she got married and had a child. Karyn was deemed un-fuckable as they call it in the industry. That kinda seal her faint in the industry but then again I don't think she really cared because she venture into real estate.

    Um Brandy was never married that was a lie to protect her image. That car crash did Brandy in but I won't speak on that .

  9. #9
    hun's Avatar
    The Diva
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Posts
    49,664
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 16:52

    Romantic is one of my fave songs ever

  10. #10
    Manager
    Join Date
    25 Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,788
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Fri June 12th, 2015, 17:38

    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Romantic is one of my fave songs ever
    That whole album is everything.

  11. #11
    Gravity's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Jan 2016
    Location
    Luxurious Undergrind
    Posts
    11,512
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon February 29th, 2016, 11:11

    Ritual of Love is one of my favorite R&B albums ever.
    The Way I Feel About You >>>>>>>>>>
    Floped and localed

  12. #12
    Manager
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon February 29th, 2016, 11:24

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity
    Ritual of Love is one of my favorite R&B albums ever.
    The Way I Feel About You >>>>>>>>>>
    That song was too pre-Control, Janet Jackson, although a great jam. The Way You Love Me was her break out!


    What do you think about Fantasia's version of Superwoman at the Soul Train Awards? And Karyn's response:



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fD210DZoKM

  13. #13
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon February 29th, 2016, 14:24

    I'd rather heard Karyn sung it than Fantasia no offense.

  14. #14
    DOSSOME's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 May 2013
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon February 29th, 2016, 14:26

    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Romantic is one of my fave songs ever

  15. #15
    Gravity's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Jan 2016
    Location
    Luxurious Undergrind
    Posts
    11,512
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon February 29th, 2016, 16:59

    Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    I'd rather heard Karyn sung it than Fantasia no offense.
    Same here.
    Floped and localed

  16. #16
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,788
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun July 31st, 2016, 13:14

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity
    Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak
    I'd rather heard Karyn sung it than Fantasia no offense.
    Same here.
    +1

    Karyn sings the song so beautifully. To me Superwoman is her best song.
    My personal chart with four new entries... at #... - Click here

  17. #17
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon August 1st, 2016, 10:22

    Secret Rendezvous>>>>>

    How could I forget that gem ?

  18. #18
    Gravity's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Jan 2016
    Location
    Luxurious Undergrind
    Posts
    11,512
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon August 1st, 2016, 10:46

    My favorite is her duet with Babyface, Love Saw It. That song is just perfect!
    Floped and localed

  19. #19
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon March 20th, 2017, 08:00

    Revisiting her debut self titled. An amazing debut effort

  20. #20
    Gravity's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Jan 2016
    Location
    Luxurious Undergrind
    Posts
    11,512
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Mon March 20th, 2017, 11:56

    Her whole discography is flawless. Love Saw It, One Minute, Can I Stay With You, The Way I Feel About You, Slow Down...
    Floped and localed

  21. #21
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun December 3rd, 2017, 18:52



    Feature film based loosely on her life in the music industry.

  22. #22
    Controlfreak's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    03 Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,596
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun December 3rd, 2017, 18:55




    1. Where I Belong - Karyn White and Various Artists
    2. Distant Memory - Karyn White
    3. Inside You - Joe Leavy
    4. Blind Man Walking - Karyn White
    5. Get to Know Me - Anthony AK King
    6. Good Kinda of Lovin - Jay King
    7. It's Gonna Be All Right - Karyn White
    8. Wicked Minded Fools - Karyn White, J White & O Whitty
    9. Love Quarantine - Karyn White
    10. Lame Excuses - Karyn White
    11. Hurricane - Karyn White
    12. I Am Storm - Karyn White



    soundtrack's 1st single and track list

  23. #23
    Manager
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2008
    Location
    Germany, Hannover
    Posts
    4,471
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun December 3rd, 2017, 20:28

    Quote Originally Posted by MonaBlissa
    Yes. She was in a time with high competition among B-List pretty black and exotic girls like, Jody Watley, Vanessa Williams, and Pebbles.


    Although all of these ladies had big r&b dance hits, Janet Jackson dominated, and all of them took a back seat, besides Vanessa Williams who used her theater / broadway training to go into other avenues.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTkm2GO_nc

    What separated Karyn White from:

    Jody Watley: Karyn and Jody both dance, but Karyn was also a soulful balladeer, and their dance styles varied. Karyn was wild in a more "technical Beyonce" way, and ex-Soul Train dancer, Jody, was more gazelle like (a mix of pop, Alvin Ailey, and European) Jody was the flip side of Madonna, if you compared styles.

    Pebbles: Pebbles and Karyn were both pretty and had a strong black audience. But, Pebbles wasn't strong live, but she had big dance/r&b hits, and also married a mega-producer husband.

    Vanessa Williams: Besides the pretty girl r&b group, they both dance and sang, but their styles were totally different. Karyn's soulful vocals were deep-rooted in the genre. Vanessa's soul was more pop & jazz-oriented , unlike other pop black singers, which made her light ballads easy to transition to like "Save The Best For Last."

    Her downfall was getting pregnant and marrying her mega-producer husband.
    Love that song
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

  24. #24
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    18 Jun 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun August 12th, 2018, 05:21

    I saw the recent video from Karyn White:



    She was recently appeared on the South African TV morning show Expresso Show, singing her 1995 song ''I'd Rather Be Alone''. She was recently featured and supported on tour here entitled Divas of Cape Town with top South African divas Unathi Msengana, Paxton (Fielies), Sasha Lee Davids, G&T and Rene Johnson.

  25. #25
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    18 Jun 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Sun August 12th, 2018, 05:22

    Here's extra from the same show in the previous post I mentioned:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •