Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 17th, 2015, 22:21

One of the greatest artists of the late 80's/early 90's without her own thread? Shame!

She even has her own list on SongPop now.

Anybody else out there who owns all three albums?
    My personal chart with four new entries... at #... - Click here

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 17th, 2015, 22:24

i do! spellbound is a great album. one of my top 100 i'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 17th, 2015, 22:29

I love Paula. And I'm still waiting new music from her

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun September 27th, 2015, 22:22

I adore Paula! One of my all-time favourite artists

Spellbound is one of my favourite albums ever - just amazing tracks from 1 - 11. The singles from FYG and HOH are just killer too. She's so underrated musically.

Because her discography is so small, it's almost like she has no filler material.

Does anyone know of any Paula demos from any era? I'd love to hear something that I haven't heard before. Did she ever have an unreleased album (I know she wrote/did the demo for Spinning Around, but is there anything else from these sessions?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun September 27th, 2015, 22:36

I love me some Paula. All 6 of her US number one singles are among some of my favourite pop songs ever. I wish I could do the rap from Cold Hearted!
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel... hopefully its not a freight train! - Mariah Carey

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 28th, 2015, 18:55

An slbum was out for 2000.

PaulaTicks of love
    (Word play on politics of love)

And later re-titled AbdulMatic.

Kylies Spinning around and a remake of Jacksons Dancing Machine were all rumored songs.

others werr karma and mirrors i think.

Yet my fave was a rerecording of TELEFUNKIN.
    this was cover from a tlc sounding British girl group releaeed in 1998
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 28th, 2015, 19:15

My favorite songs in no particular order:

Vibeology
    My Love Is For Real
    Knocked Out
    Forever Your Girl
    Straight Up
    Cold Hearted
    The Way That You Love Me
    Rock House
    Dance Like There's No Tomorrow

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 28th, 2015, 19:25

Rush Rush is an 11/10 for me. Absolute perfection. Melancholic, wistful, tender and yet with a sense of urgency. She doesn't have the strongest voice but on this song, all the planets aligned and created a knockout blockbuster #1 smash.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 28th, 2015, 21:48

^ i agree whole-heartedly.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 15:36

Unfortunately, her third studio album absolutely bombed. I probably should listen to it again, just to see whether me being older now means the songs appeal to me, but I remember listening to it for the first time and thinking "what the hell happened - where are all the hits???"

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 20:21

Quote Originally Posted by AlmondBreeze
    Unfortunately, her third studio album absolutely bombed. I probably should listen to it again, just to see whether me being older now means the songs appeal to me, but I remember listening to it for the first time and thinking "what the hell happened - where are all the hits???"
    I was working at the Mall of America Sam Goody music store when Head Over Heels came out. My Love Is For Real was promising, but the album was pretty much void of good songs, let alone hit material. So yeah... lots of anticipation and decent sales out of the gate, but quickly died.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 20:32

Quote Originally Posted by clayton75
    I was working at the Mall of America Sam Goody music store when Head Over Heels came out. My Love Is For Real was promising, but the album was pretty much void of good songs, let alone hit material. So yeah... lots of anticipation and decent sales out of the gate, but quickly died.
    Head Over Heels is either extremely strong or extremely bad - there is no middle ground with that album. It's her only album with filler tracks - can't name a bad song on either FYG or Spellbound. "Crazy Cool" (my username no less!), "Ain't never gonna give you up", "Ho-Down" and "The Choice is Yours" are among my favourite Paula songs. But some of the ballads and the cheesey 90s dance songs - no thanks!

Does anyone have any links to hear Paula demos from the proposed album in 2000?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 22:03

So interesting to research about Paula - had never done it before. Her first recording for her album was with LA Reid and Babyface and it was apparently a DREADFUL experience. They basically told her that she was a useless singer and to get out of the studio after numerous takes for her vocals and they would "try and do what they could to save the song". She then always felt incredibly insecure afterwards. Wonder how she felt sitting with LA Reid for the US Xfactor shows...

And I loved how Oliver Leiber wrote Forever Your Girl especially for Paula, where his aim was to capture her spirit in the song. That song is pure sunshine.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 22:29

She definitely made her impact on pop music history in a fairly short amount of time. She tore up the charts with 2 huge albums full of hits. That's more than most can say, that's for sure. She's not a super talented vocalist at her core, but she has a voice that's unique and memorable, which is all that it takes. Her bubbly lovable persona played a big part too.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 29th, 2015, 22:31

Fun ! She's still got the moves...and amazingly, so does James Corden!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 30th, 2015, 00:12

If I Were Your Girl should have been a huge hit. Her vocals are incredible on this song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 1st, 2015, 20:56

I really loved Head Over Heels and was surprise it didn't do as well as her former albums.

My Love Is For Real is her best song (and video!!!!!) she's ever done IMO.

Other great songs from that album:
    - Crazy Cool
    - Ain't Never Gonna Give You Up
    - The Choice Is Yours
    - If I Were Your Girl

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 1st, 2015, 22:36

Information on Paula's was-meant-to-be 4th album:

After the release of the single “Ain’t Never Gonna Give You Up” in 1996, Paula focused on a career in television until her return to the pop scene in 2008’s “Dance Like There’s No Tomorrow” with Idol Judge Randy Jackson followed by the 2009 single, “I’m Just Here For The Music”.

Paula Abdul has reported that she’s been working on a new album of material since 1997 when she was initially signed to Mercury Records after she parted ways with Virgin Records. In 1998, The Island/Def Jam Music Group acquired Mercury Records and dropped several artists from their roster including Paula before she completed her album. Seventeen years later, Paula isn’t known to be signed to a label, and a new album still hasn’t materialized.

Over the years, Paula has been busy working behind-the-scenes on a new album. As early as 1999 the tentative title of the album was "Paulatics of Love". Many outstanding songs have been recorded for the album, although only a few have seen the light of day including snippets of “Boombox” and “Karma”. A comprehensive look at what we know about Paula’s possible 4th studio album appears below.

Officially Recorded by Paula (in demo form or finalized)

1. “Boombox”

”Boombox” was originally an unreleased track recorded during sessions for Kylie Minogue's ninth studio album Body Language. The song was also recorded by Paula Abdul since Kylie had not released it and was intended to be the follow-up single to “Dance Like There’s No Tomorrow”.

After Minogue used a remix of “Boombox” on her 2008 remix album of the same name, Abdul scrapped the commercial release of “Boombox” in favor of “I’m Just Here for the Music,” another demo recorded by Minogue.

Clips of “Boombox” were instead used on Paula Abdul's Rah! Cheerleading Bowl show on MTV, and Abdul’s version of “Boombox” remains unreleased to this day. In 2009, her official web site promised fans that signed up for a paid membership to her fan club a free download of the song, though it never materialized to the disappointment of many excited fans. Radio DJ’s John Jay and Rich were also very supportive of the song being released as a single and even played an extended clip of it on their popular syndicated radio show.

2. “Karma”

A song Paula recorded titled "Karma" was used as the theme song on the Bravo TV broadcast of Paula Abdul’s 1997 reality TV show “Hey Paula!” The song was not included as the theme on the digital release of the series and was replaced with a generic opening instrumentation.

“Karma” was written by Paula Abdul; Kara DioGuardi and Keith Lewis.

Produced by Oliver Leiber and David Gamson.

3. “You Got Me Wrong”

The song was recorded by Paula Abdul and intended to be released on Paula Abdul’s “Greatest Hits” album with Virgin Records which was delayed several times. The song remains unreleased. Jennifer Marks once said in an interview she wrote the song with Paula in mind. Masters dated 8-10-97.

Written by: Peter Bliss and Jennifer Marks
    Produced by: Nile Rodgers
    Engineered by: Gary Tole and Jeffery Thomas
    Recorded at: Royaltone Studios, North Hollywood, CA.

4. “Dancin’ Machine”

The song was recorded by Paula Abdul and intended to be released on Paula Abdul’s “Greatest Hits” album with Virgin Records which was delayed several times. This up-tempo, funky version includes a rap near the end of the song. Alternate versions of the song exist with slight variations. Masters dated 8-10-97.

Written by Hal Davis, Don Fletcher and Dean Parks
    Produced by: Nile Rodgers
    Engineered by: Gary Tole and Jeffery Thomas
    Recorded at: Royaltone Studios, North Hollywood, CA.

5. “25 Ways Into My Bed”

The song is a play on words - using 25 to specifically describe ways to set the tone for romance. Demo and final mastered versions exist. Lyrics and instrumentation vary slightly between both versions.

Written by Billy Mann, Brett Laurence, Michael Mangini and Paula Abdul

6. “Your Girlfriend Is You”

The song is an electro-hip hop dance track. Tap dancing sounds appear in the background. Sounds like its the final mastered version.

Written by Billy Mann, Brett Laurence and Paula Abdul

7. “Fly Without Strings”

Yes it sounds familiar - its a quote Paula used with her jewelry line, but before that it was also the title of a song she recorded. The song encapsulates the quote “if you love someone, let them go- if they come back it was meant to be.” The singer wants to fly without strings. The final or a near finalized mastered version exists.

Written by Billy Mann, Brett Laurence and Paula Abdul

8. “Circle of Love” - official sources indicate this song has been recorded by Paula, remains unreleased.

9. “Over and Over” - official sources indicate this song has been recorded by Paula, remains unreleased.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 1st, 2015, 22:44

Little bits of the unreleased Boombox song, which someone cobbled together to try and make a full song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 8th, 2016, 22:50

I still can't believe how good vibeology is

It is my go to lipsync song
    My money maker

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat May 21st, 2016, 21:51

Quote Originally Posted by MrDiva
    I still can't believe how good vibeology is

It is my go to lipsync song
    My money maker
    Vibeology is also one of my favorites. Especially the album version.

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 4th, 2016, 21:02

Fun ! She's still got the moves...and amazingly, so does James Corden!!!

I love this!!!!!!!!! Hardly knew back then who he was. We know he can sing, but he can also dance!

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 24th, 2017, 21:04

I would love her first Album to be re-Released.
    Hmmm...
    30th A. next year

Unrelesed songs..ectr

One of my all time faves
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)