Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portuguese Language

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 18:22

So, as I already told ya, a Portuguese girl could be moving into our flat for 4 months, so ofc, I suddenly decided that I really want to use this oportunity and strat learning Portuguese and not miss this oportunity.

First thing is, PT Portuguese is nowhere to be found, so I'm learning Brazilian, but I'm trying to keep the PT pronunciation (s as sh), but I'm not even sure what exactly are the differences and I'm likely mixing both. I also read that BR use gente instead of nos, but that's it actually sounds uneducated (?). hugo and BLover, I'm waiting for y'all!

Since last night (I decided to start learning at 5 am lol), I learnt 38 words in long term memory.

Eu sou Serby, falo um pouco de Potrugue^s e quero um cafe e um pouco de vinho. Eu na~o sou Ingle^s e Americano, eu sou Serbo. Eu estou feliz e nao estoiu cansado. and some other stuff. It's random, but it's what this app thaught me so far.

Any fans here (besides patriotic, native speakers)?
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 18:42

Quote Originally Posted by Serby

Eu sou Serby, falo um pouco de Potrugue^s e quero um cafe e um pouco de vinho. Eu na~o sou Ingle^s e Americano, eu sou Serbo. Eu estou feliz e nao estoiu cansado. and some other stuff. It's random, but it's what this app thaught me so far.

Any fans here (besides patriotic, native speakers)?
    You're great with languages Serbs, you'll get the basic stuff easily! I wouldn't say "gente" sounds uneducated, it's just the way Brazilians speak, they're usually joyous people and that's pretty evident in their dialect. Plus, I believe it's easier to learn, we tend to muffle a lot of syllables.

Eu sou o (masculine article) Serby, falo (well done, you don't really need to keep repeating "eu" ('I') all the time, when the verb is conjugated we get who's talking and tense) um pouco de Português, quero um café e um copo de vinho. Eu não sou Inglês nem Americano (the same way you'd use 'neither...nor'), sou Sérvio. Eu estou feliz e não estou cansado.

"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 19:21

Thanks for the pics! Will be helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    You're great with languages Serbs, you'll get the basic stuff easily! I wouldn't say "gente" sounds uneducated, it's just the way Brazilians speak, they're usually joyous people and that's pretty evident in their dialect. Plus, I believe it's easier to learn, we tend to muffle a lot of syllables.

Eu sou o (masculine article) Serby, falo (well done, you don't really need to keep repeating "eu" ('I') all the time, when the verb is conjugated we get who's talking and tense) um pouco de Português, quero um café e um copo de vinho. Eu não sou Inglês nem Americano (the same way you'd use 'neither...nor'), sou Sérvio. Eu estou feliz e não estou cansado.
    Oops about gente, I was just reading some stuff and they said there's something people say, but sounds bad, maybe it was something else! What about tu/voce? I did some reseach, but it'S a mess. Central Brazil speaks tu, some parts Voce, I read Portugal has also has both, depending on the region etc. Should I stick with voce for now?

Also, Serbians get butchered in so many languages, poor us. :( It sounds like cirvienta a lil bit lol also, all the other mistakes are typos. And the subject thing, it's like Spanish, I have no clue why did I use it so much cuz I'm used to it! Also, I meant pouco de vinho, is copo like a glass?

Also, so far, I know all the letters with these lil lines, but can't write it lol
    be kind to every kind

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 19:23

Serbyserb,

You might wanna check Duolulingo app in your app store. Its free and its dead sweet to learn with them ;)
    Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 19:25

Hey great to know you are learning Portuguese!
    “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 19:30

Quote Originally Posted by oaknuys
    Serbyserb,

You might wanna check Duolulingo app in your app store. Its free and its dead sweet to learn with them ;)
    Heyya, I heard about and did use a lil bit once (for German), but right now I'm learning via Memrise and I think it's amazing. Everytime I make a mistake or typo, it forces that same question quite a few times, has a audio for everything etc. Using desktop version, my phone has no android or ios.

MEMRISE Potruguese lessons

As I said, it's Brazilian, but I think it's fine for now. You guys tell me what do you think about it, the pronunciation etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerocha
    Hey great to know you are learning Portuguese!
    Thanks! It's much easier to be a global hoe and get all them boyz when you speak their lingo.
    be kind to every kind

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:04

The way its pronounced is so sweeet, always makes me think of flor-de-lis' "Todas as Ruas do Amor" and how cute it is.
    Hej koji dan.
    Last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:19

Quote Originally Posted by yomaku
    The way its pronounced is so sweeet, always makes me think of flor-de-lis' "Todas as Ruas do Amor" and how cute it is.
    it'S very frontloaded accent vice, makes it very melodic
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:23

"Você" comes from the words "vossa mercê" (something like 'your grace').

"Você" is eh in Portugal, I mean, sure you can treat someone by 'você', but if you don't know the person or he/she is important you'd be better off calling him/her senhor(a) (sir, mr., madam, mrs. you don't really need to know their names), it's far more professional and polite. It's ok to call your friends and relatives by 'tu', basically the same way you'd use "you" in English.

In Brazil "você" is widely used and I believe using "tu" is pretty common in some regions.

How do you even know that song? It really is sweet!

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:31

Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Oops about gente
    We also use 'a gente' in Portugal, it's our version of the French 'on' (singular third person) that means a group of people, even though it's conjugated like ele/ela (he/she; il/elle). But it's definitely not something that should be used in a formal conversation.

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:32

yess i love that song, it's kind of a guilty pleasure though for me

Been enjoying this song a lot lately
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:39

oh and just read the first post, yessss Serby, get into the kewlest language in the world

i feel a bit awkward sometimes when i'm in Portugal though, cause at times i stutter a bit and i'm not sure if it's really the right word, for example i thought "papa" was the actual word for cereals, so i asked for that in the supermarket and the woman just laughed at me, apparently it's a very informal word
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    Y no he hecho nada

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:45

This is papa I can already imagine it, "quero papa!"

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-15, 20:48

^#oop, this is (was) papa to me:

luckily i know it now
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    Y no he hecho nada

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 11:42

How do you even know that song? It really is sweet!
    I'm a big fan of the Eurovision Song Contest and Portugal has been one of my favorite countries through many years that I checked (even checked some of the FdC songs in recent years )
    Hej koji dan.
    Last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 14:31

"Você" comes from the words "vossa mercê" (something like 'your grace').

"Você" is eh in Portugal, I mean, sure you can treat someone by 'você', but if you don't know the person or he/she is important you'd be better off calling him/her senhor(a) (sir, mr., madam, mrs. you don't really need to know their names), it's far more professional and polite. It's ok to call your friends and relatives by 'tu', basically the same way you'd use "you" in English.

In Brazil "você" is widely used and I believe using "tu" is pretty common in some regions.
    Oh, I see! So how would I use senhor/a? Like 2nd, 3rd person in plurar or what?

And gente is so weird, The whole idea of using using the word 'people' and especially conjugate it as singular 3rd person! Also, so far, the hardest word to learn is vermelho, I hate it. :x I always say vermenho. Black is also weird (preto) and branco is funny, cuz there's a male name in Serbia pronounced the same way (my sister's ex shared the name).

Also, I love how similar it is to Spanish, it helps a lot, but at the same it, it can be so frustrating that some words are so similar, yet have totally differnt meaning (mas and sim (reminds me of sin aka without)). I already feel like a pro with my accent, ha!
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 14:36

^you got all the basics you need to know about the language in this informative video, helps a lot!
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    Y no he hecho nada

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 14:43

Quote Originally Posted by fpfbm54
    ^you got all the basics you need to know about the language in this informative video, helps a lot!
    but... i wanna be touched.
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 22:41

Ahh, I think it's a beautiful language. I've no idea why, but I can read bits of it and get the gist even though I don't know it. Tbh, I'd love to learn Portuguese properly, but it's difficult. I have enough trouble accessing Spanish resources where I live, so I dread to think where I'd learn Portuguese. I'm also concerned that the overlap could be confusing as I haven't mastered Spanish yet. This article is super interesting, but examples like this may be challenging:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Spanish and Portuguese have two main copulas, ser and estar. For the most part, the use of these verbs is the same in both languages, but there are a few cases where it differs. The main difference between Spanish and Portuguese is in the interpretation of the concept of state versus essence and in the generalizations one way or another that are made in certain constructions. For instance,
    Está prohibido fumar. (Spanish) [estar]
    É proibido fumar. (Portuguese) [ser]
    'Smoking is forbidden'

I currently use Rosetta Stone to suppliment my Spanish learning, and maybe in time I'll get the Portuguese one. It's my dream to go to Brazil, and I love what I've seen of Portugal, so the attraction is definitely there.
    ? The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ?

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 22:44

My favourite Portuguese language song:

I love her voice so much.
    ? The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-07-15, 23:01

The best thing about Portuguese language tbh (it's actually from Brazil but yeah)
    She says something like "I'll never go to jail because I AM RICH!!!!" it became a cult thing among gays even here in Italy
    Trashy soap operas from South America >>>>>>>>>> life

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-15, 03:46

was that a camera at the end? lol

--it also happens in America y'know? how many bankers are free because they yelled the same I'm sure

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-15, 10:23

Eu sou rica, what a queen! Love it!

eu sou grande -- I like grunge music.
    Voce e portugues -- You are gay from Porto.

Ineresting language. I'm not sure I hear the difference between all the A-s sounds or the R sounds (I just say normal R for all oll of them, but I noticed they dissappear sometimes - vermelho?) or I don't hear it? lol

edit: hmm, in this Chapeuzinho Vermelho video on YT I can hear it clearly! Me no getey.
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-15, 10:52

Yaaaahs, a roomie just told me that Portugues senhorita is definitely moving in!

Portugays, here eu come! #suchpun #muchwow Now I'm just afraid she'll think I'm hitting on her cuz I started learning the language the moment she visited us and told us she'd gladly move in. #serbyproblems
    be kind to every kind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-15, 11:03

but in br there r many accents and some very similar to portugal, or very diff from the one ppl learn as br portuguese, since this one isnt spoken by the majority