User Tag List

Thread: Image size limits and high DPI screens

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 06-07-15, 14:41

So, it seems that images larger than 760 pixels in either dimension are resized (in the browser). On my computer with a normal DPI screen these two images (this is my current albums chart) should about look the same:

760 px version:

1520 px version:

The second version is then just slower to load. But on for example an iPad or my Samsung Galaxy S tablet the second version should look much sharper, so using the larger image may not be a waste after all?

Edit: For future-proofing (and zooming in...) maybe I should use even higher resolution?

2736 px version:

Manager
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-09-15, 12:45

Thanks Magnus I was about to test this to see how wide I could go by posting a 1000x1000 image. I currently have been posting 750px wide banners with no issue.

So it seems 760x760 is the limit for an as-is image size (unless you want a resized version to fit inside these parameters).

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-09-15, 13:15

Quote Originally Posted by Affillate
    Thanks Magnus I was about to test this to see how wide I could go by posting a 1000x1000 image. I currently have been posting 750px wide banners with no issue.

So it seems 760x760 is the limit for an as-is image size (unless you want a resized version to fit inside these parameters).
    Yay, someone replied to my 2-month old obscure post! Thanks!

In this day and age of high resolution screens (especially on tablets and phones) I think it makes sense to use larger images just so they will look sharper (this definitely applies to myself when I'm reading on my tablet; it bugs me a little that the avatars look much fuzzier than some other images), even though they won't be physically bigger. If I was a site administrator I would increase the height limit though (width is fine).