Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the new Shakira album sucks

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 28-02-02, 15:05

The new album "Laundy Service" by Shakira is a big let-down, a waste of money, a total rip-off, and I urge people not to buy it!

Why am I saying that? Hmmm...

OK, I'll admit it, the music ain't bad. Maybe she can sing better in Spanish, and sure, some of her lyrical adventures don't always provide consistent results (hey, risk, it's cool!)

But when I go to buy the CD, I find that I can't. [Yep, it's another rant, sorry guys!]

There are two ways to listen to the album.

The illegal way, really convenient, you just download and enjoy. If you want to play it on your hi-fi, you can burn it onto CD. However, the sound quality isn't as good as a real CD, and you'll probably burn in Hell for deflating record company share prices (remember the days before commercial music, when the world was plague-ridden and everyone was starving?)

The legal way, a bit more work because you can't buy the music online, and definitely more expensive. Plus you'll go to Heaven when you die. Unfortunately, your reward is to be ripped off with an inferior product that can't be played on your computer and has no effective error correction. It's more prone to wear and tear and well, less fun.

The record company has decided to employ a 'protection' system that they surely know will not work. Those who take the illegal route will carry on unaffected, but the paying customers, the real fans, will suffer.

Maybe they'll get away with it - Shakira's getting a whole heap of airplay - but personally I'm more inclined to take the third option - don't bother at all.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 28-02-02, 20:53

I think that burning CD's sucks. My mate said the other day that he doesn't ever buy CD's anymore - he burns them. But I don't own any burned CD's and I refuse to get them because I know how hard it must be for an artist to go through the recording process of an album and they want it to sell, but people just copy them. I know that if I was artist I would hate people copying my CD's, but then, changing the format would prevent the customers from listening to it on a computer etc.

3 years ago this problem barely occured - which is why far more albums were purchased before 2000 then have since then. There certain exceptions. "Swing When You're Winning", for example, still sold millions because of who the album was aimed at - older people, who aren't the (majority of) people who burn CD's.

Well that's just what I think.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-03-02, 13:01

The fact that some people don't bother buying music does not mean it's right for the industry to push inferior product onto the fans who are paying for it.

The music industry is outdated, the role they play as distributor is just not needed anymore. They should adapt or face extinction like any other business - and no, that doesn't mean the people involved will starve, just that the company names/brands/monopolies should go.

I got made redundant at the end of last year and I'm perfectly well-fed - the difference being that now I work for a viable business that's in profit.

I don't have much sympathy for the artists either - while I don't blame them for making money out of commercial music, I don't think they should whine about it if their artificial business "bubble" bursts. Those that are capable of performing live can make money from that, the others, well, they're a product of the industry anyway and we can live without them.

Do be careful to avoid being drawn into industry lies - if record sales are falling then maybe it's because this business, like any other, has always gone in cycles of ups and downs. Maybe record sales would be stronger if people could buy online - odd that the industry doesn't provide a legal alternative for the thing they claim is destroying sales. But also, a stagnant global economy is not very helpful to record sales.

Anyway I don't mind if you don't see things the same was as me, but do be careful not to believe the lies that the industry propagates.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-03-02, 13:04

Addendum:

Aneta just pointed out that sales in the UK have gone up.

Interesting then, that the UK's economy has been growing, while the US economy has been shrinking...

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-03-02, 13:46

On the European Shakira albums there's an sticker on the front saying that it's corrupted. So that's a reason enough not to buy it.
    I bought a South American copy, wich worked just fine on the PC. But i really think the industry is taking it too far. I don't believe this will help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-03-02, 18:38

Over here in Canada (Esp in Quebec) I have seen ads of it for the last 6 months or so and I don't think it's corrupted. Although, knowing the mentality of the average quebecian that goes along the lines of "I'm proud to be stupid!" ("Hey, a 2.0 Dolby Digital soundtrack on DVD sounds better than full bitrate DTS because it's in french!" that sort of nonsense!) so it wouldn't surprise me if nobody noticed though...

Another thing, I received an e-mail the other day that is advertizing a product that allows you to perfectly rip corrupted CDs. I haven't tryed it yet but here is the address:

www.elby.org/CloneCD/english/

And I advice you to download it quickly because I'm sure the record companies will sue them to death for this!
    I don't care how cold cold cold it is in your hole hole hole, but you CANNOT have my sweater!

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-03-02, 20:01

Thanks for the tip, but don't worry I'm sure there are loads of ways to rip a 'protected' CD.

That is the whole point of my complaint - it's easy enough to get mp3s of the album, but what I can't do is get back the sound quality of the CD I've bought (assuming I did buy it) after the evil industry has put tens of thousands of errors into the audio data, and I wouln't have the convenience of copying my own CDs into a high quality ogg or flac format. :-\

BTW the releases of corrupted CDs are inconsistent... eg. Shakira is being released in European countries with a label (in English, not the local lanugage) saying it won't play in a PC or Mac (it doesn't mention the reduced quality/durability though).

I could import one from the USA/Canada, but I'd rather not bother...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-03-02, 00:42

Interestingly what they did with the single is wicked. Not only it includes the video in the mpeg format (shock horror!), but a whole mini-site with soundclips from the album, lyrics that highlight as she's singing (simple thing but very cool!), biog and pics, and the design shows they put some work in it.

Shame they completely messed up the album though! You'd think that's where their biggest profits should be from and that they'd put more thought into it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-03-02, 04:26

Whats the problem here? I bought Shakira's album and it works excellent on my PC, don't know what you're complaining about!, and what's this to do with the SHAKIRA in particular, shouldn't this be in another Sub-Forum not "Mad About Music" topic line, because its not about Shakira's music!!
    You're the one I need, My real life has just began, cause theres nothing like your smile made of sun...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-03-02, 10:54

Matt - there is no problem with your CD. However, the European edition is corrupted, as it says on the front and/or back cover "Will NOT Play on PC/Mac".

I remind you that this corruption affects the quality of the CD (yes the music is full of errors/noise that is put there on purpose so that computers, DVD players, Playstations cannot play it.) It also means this CD will last for a shorter time, as it's more likely to be permanently unreadable (it already has plenty of errors that CD players correct), and CDs after some time just "rot" (holes appear in the data field - I've seen that with my own eyes).

It is a very limited usefuleness: you can't make a copy to your computer for backup, you can't make a copy for your car, you can't extract a track and put it on your favourite compilation and you can't record it onto your MiniDisc!

We're just unlucky here in Europe, as the US and Australian/NZ versions seem to be OK.

Oh, and this topic is in the right forum :smile:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 02:52

"Will NOT Play on PC/Mac".
    So what! Many years ago there was such things as "Stereos" maybe you don't have them in europe..
    You're the one I need, My real life has just began, cause theres nothing like your smile made of sun...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 02:54

"you can't make a copy to your computer for backup, you can't make a copy for your car, you can't extract a track and put it on your favourite compilation and you can't record it onto your MiniDisc!"

you shouldn't be doing this anyway (NOT LEGAL) and a copy for your car! are you too lazy to take the CD to your car or something!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 07:52

I just bought Natalie Imbruglia's new album which was also corrupted in europe. (And also made sure that if I have any problems, that I could return it) and I just tested it.

DVD Player: Works OK - Tested first 30 secs of the first 4 tracks - (Sony DVP-S360 connected to Kenwood VR-409 with Accoustic Research TOSLink Cable)

PC: Works OK - Played beginning of Track 1, and ripped Track 1 to a MP3 which I could play no problem in WinAmp later - (Using an 4 1/2 years old 24x Panasonic drive with AudioCatalyst 2.1)

DiscMan: Works OK - Played beginning of Track 5 [It's on random] - (Using a 4 years old Panasonic Shockwave 10 secs player w/ Anti-Skip Buffer enabled)

So, I can use it. I can play it in DPL2 on my Home Theater (DVD), I can play it at work (MP3) and I can play it in the bus/metro (DiscMan)

So, import it from Canada. Make sure the European division of the company KNOWS that you imported it, if enough people do that, they'll stop corrupting disks.
    I don't care how cold cold cold it is in your hole hole hole, but you CANNOT have my sweater!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 09:04

On 2002-03-08 20:54, MattWilson wrote:
    "you can't make a copy to your computer for backup, you can't make a copy for your car, you can't extract a track and put it on your favourite compilation and you can't record it onto your MiniDisc!"

you shouldn't be doing this anyway (NOT LEGAL) and a copy for your car! are you too lazy to take the CD to your car or something!
    Please! Next they'll tell me is that I should not play it while anyone else is around, or charge my family members for hearing it to while I'm listening to it!

Heaven forbid actually lending it to someone!

The truth is Matt - this is no longer a CD. The record company are breaking the standard. Because a CD is a disc that plays on all devices with the "Compact Disc" sign on them, and the corrupted ones don't - therefore they're not even CDs. Just some inferior immitation that let record companies control the use of it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 09:52

Hi Matt,

Just catching up with a couple of your messages...

Whats the problem here? I bought Shakira's album and it works excellent on my PC, don't know what you're complaining about!
    I'm complaining about a copy of Shakira's album that I was hoping to buy here in the UK. If you were able to buy a good copy of the CD I'm glad for you. :smile:

and what's this to do with the SHAKIRA in particular, shouldn't this be in another Sub-Forum not "Mad About Music" topic line, because its not about Shakira's music!!
    I think this has a lot to do with Shakira, because hers is one of the few mainstream albums yet to be affected. Fans have a right to know what's going on.

Sorry if you think I've posted in the wrong forum. Where do you suggest the topic should go?

Can you honestly tell me that your comment is backed up by even the slightest knowledge or insight into Polish law? Or for that matter UK law and EU law (and the complex interaction between the two).

Or maybe you didn't notice the location next to Aneta's posts, in which case we can forgive you of course. :smile:

Oh, one more thing - please don't call Aneta lazy, there's no need to descend from an otherwise sensible debate into personal abuse. I can tell you from personal experience, Aneta is anything but lazy!

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 10:05

On 2002-03-09 01:52, MrZebra wrote:
    So, import it from Canada. Make sure the European division of the company KNOWS that you imported it, if enough people do that, they'll stop corrupting disks.
    Thanks for the tip. I must admit I don't feel inclined to buy anything by Shakira now, but if I change my mind I'll know where to come. :smile:

I used to buy a lot of CDs online when the exchange rate was more favourable for me but I'm tending to do it the old-fashioned way lately.

The only Canadian online store I've bought from kind of sucked, but that's ok, 90% of online stores in all countries suck! Do you have any recommendations?

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 12:06

I need to make a comment to Matt. Not everybody have so much money, and when, like me you don't have soo much money, you're glad with a computer (and a Dolby 5.1 Mix i should include) But why should I buy an expensive high-fi set to play those corrupted CDs? The soundquality sucks anyway. And don't tell me i'm lazy for copying a CD for the car. That's quite normal. I don't know how modern you are down under!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 13:38

As it happens, it is legal in Poland to make a backup copy of a music Compact Disc as long as you also own the original.

And seeing as I really like an album, I'd prefer to have it in the car changer permanently as well as handy in my house. Not to mention possible damages that can happen - why would I want to risk damage if I'm legally entitled to avoid such risk by making a backup copy!?

As for the use of computer, which happens to be connected to my stereo - I like to be able to play my whole Shakira 'jukebox' (that consists of all her albums and remixes that are on my hard disk).

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 09-03-02, 16:15

Sadly, it may not remain legal in Poland once the country's accession to the EU goes ahead.

Anyway, the fact that the industry has (successfully) bribed governments to make backup copies illegal reveals a glaring flaw in their arguments.

The main argument against copying is that although no physical loss has taken place (unlike stealing), the industry has lost potential to make a sale. They use the term "intellectual property" to illustrate the belief that although a physical CD has not been stolen, the "intellectual property" (music) has been.

However, when it comes to backup copies, they look at it the other way around. I can't listen to the music twice over just by making a backup copy, so my use of the "intellectual property" is the same. Why does the industry not let me make a backup onto a medium that I've paid for? For the purposes of backups, they return to looking at the physical aspect.

Basically they are greedy protectionists who want to control the music market to every extent possible, and are willing to bribe politicians and break the law in order to do so.

By the way, the term "intellectual property" is a false analogy, cynically invented in order to distort people's views. When it suits them, even the industry shows that the term is meaningless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 10-03-02, 09:05

[This was in response to a message that has since been edited.]

Not stooping to whose level Matt?

Everyone apart from you seems willing to engage in a sensible debate without resorting to childish comments.

Still, by all means stick your fingers in your ears (metaphorically speaking) and shout "I'm not talking to you anymore!" when you've run out of worthwhile things to say, because I'm sure the rest of us will find that rather funny! :smile:

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 11-03-02, 15:11

Update:

The CD is out in the UK today, and UK copies (rather than imports) are also corrupted.

When I spoke to staff in HMV, Brighton, they were not aware that the CDs contain errors in the audio data, only that they don't play on a PC/Mac. They were surprised to learn this!

I asked if they had any imports from the USA/Canada, which they did not, and declined to purchase the corrupted UK edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 12-03-02, 04:56

"Everyone apart from you seems willing to engage in a sensible debate without resorting to childish comments."

>The only thing childish about the comments is you stating they are, surely i'm entitled to an opinion of which I can see no problem with this "corrupted" CD. But oh you and Aneta need to make a big fuss about it.

"Still, by all means stick your fingers in your ears (metaphorically speaking) and shout "I'm not talking to you anymore!" when you've run out of worthwhile things to say, because I'm sure the rest of us will find that rather funny!"

>Omigod how hilarious, who's being "childish" now! you didn't need the comment above, very ridiculous.

And its also nice to see how you treat people who've contributed alot to UKMIX in the past years, single reviews, album reviews, 250+ posts.

Legend
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 12-03-02, 11:11

First there was the fun argument between Kev and fitshace... then there was the not so funny arguments between ATB3000 and Donnaphile... but MattWilson and Lars??? Come on, I really think that you need to calm down (and by the way, officially in the forum list page, I am the moderator of this forum)

In my opinion, this is the correct forum to post such a comment, and it is good to see opposing sides of the argument. I believe that Matt was saying that "a person who can't be bothered to take a CD to the car is (in his opinion) lazy" NOT "Aneta is lazy". In my opinion, I have to agree with Lars/Aneta, on a simple point.

The record company owns the rights to the CD - I can accept that, and reproducing the CD for onsale is something that they should kick up a fuss about. The "intellectual content" - i.e. the music itself, is the sole property of the artists who write it and perform it. There have been several artists that have been pro-Napster... but the people that have been against it are 5 millionaires (I assume they're millionaires) who own the record labels of the world.

What would be interesting to see happen next, is them trying to ban devices that can copy CDs - and then another batch of multi millionaires (who own the companies that make those things) getting irate.

I think that the disagreement between Matt and Lars/Aneta pales into insignificance by the disagreement between music fans who want to get their hands on as much music as possible - even if they aren't all in hard copies - and the big 5 record companies attempting to stranglehold the music industry. There has to be some solution that will satisfy everyone

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 12-03-02, 18:43

Just to prove we're not the only ones who see this as a problem, here's a link to the dotmusic.com review of the album:
    www.dotmusic.com/reviews/Albums/March2002/reviews24260.asp