6. "This Used to Be My Playground"
    7. "Live to Tell"
    8. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"
    9. "Something to Remember"
    10. "Forbidden Love"
    11. "One More Chance"
    12. "Rain"
    13. "Oh Father"
    14. "I Want You" (Orchestral) (with Massive Attack)

So what do you think about this compilation?

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Sat February 27th, 2016, 22:59

I love this album. I think you have to be in the mood for it, but it's a joy from start to finish. I can't think of any other act that had the balls to say 'I know you like my dance hits, but here's those ballad songs you really like too, with a few new ones' - and then to do it whilst in a bit of a career lull takes some doing.

The artwork is perfect, she's stunning in the 3 new videos she made for it and it was the perfect setup for Evita and Ray of Light. I love the new songs and the album demonstrates her ability not only to write a great song, but that you can have a great vocal for a ballad without being Mariah, Celine or Whitney, who were all doing the ballad thing back in 1995. Her vocals here are seriously underrated.

On the flip side, the track list reads like one of those budget compilations they release years after you're dead, with a few singles and a few random album tracks thrown on to pad it out. Which makes the idea all the more astonishing really - because Madonna took it as far as you could take the concept and turned it into a classy product. We all know it's better than your average budget album, but even so - it could easily be something Warner might have done long after she's gone.

Just want to mention that her cover is I Want You is one of the best covers ever. When you compare it to the original, they're like 2 different songs. Her version is much more gentle, subtle even, yet her vocal is so sultry and seductive. It's a crime they didn't let her release it as a single, but at least we got a video for it.

Is it damage control? Absolutely. It's as far from SEX as you could get. But is it just as brilliant? You bet. I wasn't a fan at the time - being only 7 - but years later when I discovered Madonna and set about getting all of her albums, it was just like listening to a studio album because nearly all of the songs were new to me. To this day, I'll Remember remains one of my top 10 Madonna tracks and I'm glad she took the chance to showcase its brilliance to the world one more time (because she's ignored it ever since) .

Final note - but I've always been surprised she left Promise To Try off. It would have worked and is probably the biggest omission.

Because she released this, the U.K. Finally got Oh Father as a single. No wonder it flopped though, what with it being on 2 albums before being released! LOVE that they released One More Chance in the UK too - it's probably the most 'un-Madonna' song in her entire catalogue (has she ever begged a man to return to her in any other song?) but I love how raw it is. Never understood why they didn't bother LDLHA in the UK though, and despite the claims it was a remix, the version on the album in the UK is the original recording (and not the video version).
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 00:43

Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    I love this album. I think you have to be in the mood for it, but it's a joy from start to finish. I can't think of any other act that had the balls to say 'I know you like my dance hits, but here's those ballad songs you really like too, with a few new ones' - and then to do it whilst in a bit of a career lull takes some doing.

The artwork is perfect, she's stunning in the 3 new videos she made for it and it was the perfect setup for Evita and Ray of Light. I love the new songs and the album demonstrates her ability not only to write a great song, but that you can have a great vocal for a ballad without being Mariah, Celine or Whitney, who were all doing the ballad thing back in 1995. Her vocals here are seriously underrated.

On the flip side, the track list reads like one of those budget compilations they release years after you're dead, with a few singles and a few random album tracks thrown on to pad it out. Which makes the idea all the more astonishing really - because Madonna took it as far as you could take the concept and turned it into a classy product. We all know it's better than your average budget album, but even so - it could easily be something Warner might have done long after she's gone.

Just want to mention that her cover is I Want You is one of the best covers ever. When you compare it to the original, they're like 2 different songs. Her version is much more gentle, subtle even, yet her vocal is so sultry and seductive. It's a crime they didn't let her release it as a single, but at least we got a video for it.

Is it damage control? Absolutely. It's as far from SEX as you could get. But is it just as brilliant? You bet. I wasn't a fan at the time - being only 7 - but years later when I discovered Madonna and set about getting all of her albums, it was just like listening to a studio album because nearly all of the songs were new to me. To this day, I'll Remember remains one of my top 10 Madonna tracks and I'm glad she took the chance to showcase its brilliance to the world one more time (because she's ignored it ever since) .

Final note - but I've always been surprised she left Promise To Try off. It would have worked and is probably the biggest omission.

Because she released this, the U.K. Finally got Oh Father as a single. No wonder it flopped though, what with it being on 2 albums before being released! LOVE that they released One More Chance in the UK too - it's probably the most 'un-Madonna' song in her entire catalogue (has she ever begged a man to return to her in any other song?) but I love how raw it is. Never understood why they didn't bother LDLHA in the UK though, and despite the claims it was a remix, the version on the album in the UK is the original recording (and not the video version).

This is so true

Such a shame this wasn't promoted and labeled as major release and it was just a budget release, not really sure that I know what budget release is, but still

I'm so glad that songs like Playground and I'll Remember are here on one place. New songs are amazing too. And whole album sounds like an amazing album it doesn't sound like compilation to me.

It was really big seller for what it was.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 00:55

Plus the album ended up being a great seller, it outsold Erotica and Bedtime Stories and unlike those, remained in the Top 10 of many countries up until February 1996, while her previous two fell really quick.

It was kind of a commercial recovery for her and preparing the part of Evita and her return to studio albums with Ray Of Light.
    “B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”

Superstar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 02:27

I'll Remember <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 02:32

I love it, it showcased how Madonna is not just a pop dance diva. Very refreshing body of work from the Queen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 04:18

It's a shame she basically abandoned ballads after this album though. The songs here are all very much traditional sounding ballads (except Forbidden Love), and nothing she's released since really falls into the same category.'

Sure, she's done ballad type songs, but the closest she's come is Nothing Fails and Drowned World - more or less everything else is too genre specific to be a real ballad in the traditional sense (such as Frozen - is too electrcionic and mid tempo to be considered a ballad in the traditional sense).

Rebel Heart had a few though, which was refreshing. Hard Candy was missing a nice ballad, as was MDNA, though I suppose Masterpeice qualifies.

Either way, ballad wise nothing stands up to the songs featured here (except Nothing Fails and DW), which is a huge shame.
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 12:08

She hasn't topped her Something to Remember ballads that's for sure.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Sun February 28th, 2016, 14:35

This is my favourite Madonna compilation and one of her best albums altogether for me. I would have made some alterations to the track list as there were some songs omitted that I think were worthy of inclusion -- The Look of Love, Sooner or Later and Spanish Eyes to name a few (I adore Bad Girl but lyrically I don't think it belongs on a collection that thematically consists of love songs), and I think the Soulpower remix of Love Don't Live Here Anymore would fit nicely with Forbidden Love sonically -- but it's a great listen. She never sounded stronger vocally. Excellent album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon February 29th, 2016, 18:55

Does anyone know why we didn't get the remix for Love Doesnt Live Here in the UK?
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel... hopefully its not a freight train! - Mariah Carey

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Mon February 29th, 2016, 18:57

My favorite edition is the Taiwan with the lyrics booklet
    The photos in it are amazing and the design as well

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Mon February 29th, 2016, 18:59

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerocha
    There's edition with lyrics? Can you find it for me on ebay or something?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Mon February 29th, 2016, 19:02

Quote Originally Posted by Westen
    I paid $200 back in the day for it. Now it is cheaper

Here: http://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Somethin ... se/5004389

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Mon February 29th, 2016, 19:05

Quote Originally Posted by Westen
    I paid $200 back in the day for it. Now it is cheaper

Here: http://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Somethin ... se/5004389
    You paid 200 bucks for it? WHY?

I have some random rare version of it, without back cover. I hate it I want that one with white case

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

by » Wed March 2nd, 2016, 01:38

I think I paid something like 40 bucks for the JP version with the lyrics and (La isla bonita" included -and in all clear case) and about the same for the latin version with "Veras" with the white case on some Tower Records, I think it was the (now long gone) Chicago one on North Clark st. , but I can't recall for sure. They usually sold lots of imports.

I've always thought that STR the song, was really unappreciated because it was a bit lost between the uptempo songs and the bit off (for the record) and massive Vogue, btw I could say the same for What can you lose, and dare I say both seem a bit less in-character than , say, Sooner or Later. Anyway, I thought there was no way that song could've been a single yet it must be one of the best songs on the record.

Then came STR the album, and I felt the appreciation it didn't get back then was being awarded with naming the album as such and also having it in there as one of the selected songs. Needless to say I was very happy and thought justice was served for this track

I hope The look of Love will find its way on another compilation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed March 2nd, 2016, 03:36

It's a good compilation, but its release was a blatant attempt at trying to soften Madonna's harsh image after the Erotica controversy. Bedtime Stories was the same. Madonna jumped on the popular R&B bandwagon in an effort to get her success back on track. She knew she needed to compete with the likes of Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Whitney and TLC, four of the biggest female artists in the industry at that time. However, she failed to match their record sales in the 1990s especially Mariah Carey's. Music Box and Daydream sold 32 and 25 million copies worldwide whereas Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember sold about eight million and 10 million copies worldwide.

Rain is a great song, but it's a shame Madonna doesn't have the voice to pull off most of her old ballads anymore.

Legend
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

by » Wed March 2nd, 2016, 16:29

Quote Originally Posted by AmplifiedHeart
    However, she failed to match their record sales in the 1990s especially Mariah Carey's. Music Box and Daydream sold 32 and 25 million copies worldwide whereas Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember sold about eight million and 10 million copies worldwide.
    By this time Madonna had already had her glorious years from 1984-1990, she was facing a more moderate phase in comparison with more novelty 90s acts (which is logical), the important thing here is that a couple years later she pulled one of the biggest comebacks ever seen in Music industry with "Ray of light", I feel these "softing" years with "Bedtime Stories", "Something to remember" and "Evita" gave the required clean image that simply paved the way for her further comeback that would eventually push her to start the 00s with success becoming the Second most successful female artist of the 00s decade only behind Britney Spears, which is a great achievement for someone that debuted in 1982. Many people that were ahead of her during the "Something to remember" era were bellow her just some few years later.

Overall, this is my favorite compilation era from her, I like the concept of the album, I like its singles, the "I want you" song and I love the "You'll see" single.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed March 2nd, 2016, 20:33

This Used to Be My Playground is another nice ballad, it's just a shame it failed to get an Oscar nomination.

I've never cared for Madonna's Massive Attack collaboration. It's not a patch on Protection featuring Tracey Thorn. To be honest, I want You was Madonna jumping on the then-popular trip hop bandwagon ruled by MA, Portishead and Tricky. Let's face it, she only worked with Massive Attack because they were critical darlings with heaps of credibility after Blue Lines and Protection. Bless her, always following the latest trend.

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Wed March 2nd, 2016, 20:42

Quote Originally Posted by AmplifiedHeart
    This Used to Be My Playground is another nice ballad, it's just a shame it failed to get an Oscar nomination.

I've never cared for Madonna's Massive Attack collaboration. It's not a patch on Protection featuring Tracey Thorn. To be honest, I want You was Madonna jumping on the then-popular trip hop bandwagon ruled by MA, Portishead and Tricky. Let's face it, she only worked with Massive Attack because they were critical darlings with heaps of credibility after Blue Lines and Protection. Bless her, always following the latest trend.
    Oh look who's pressed. Shocking.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Sat March 5th, 2016, 10:14

The title track is the strongest song on the Album. Great compilation. My favorite Album cover by Madonna, too.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sat March 5th, 2016, 11:51

Well, she may have "failed" to outsell the other divas during the 1990s but she has shown versatility in being an artist in those ten years more than anyone. Considering Madonna was never acclaimed as a vocalist, there wasn't a mainstream pop artist brave enough to explore switching genres from Erotica to Bedtime Stories to Evita and ending the decade with a bang in the masterpiece that is Ray of Light. Mariah and Whitney pretty much stayed in their safe, radio-friendly R&B meets pop comfort zone during this era.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sat March 5th, 2016, 13:00

For god sake, 10 mil sales for a ballad compilation is an Amazing result, whenever u look at it!!!
    “Madonna fans are the worst !!”

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Sat March 5th, 2016, 13:08

Quote Originally Posted by CandyShop
    For god sake, 10 mil sales for a ballad compilation is an Amazing result, whenever u look at it!!!

The Diva
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Sat March 5th, 2016, 13:20

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Well, she may have "failed" to outsell the other divas during the 1990s but she has shown versatility in being an artist in those ten years more than anyone. Considering Madonna was never acclaimed as a vocalist, there wasn't a mainstream pop artist brave enough to explore switching genres from Erotica to Bedtime Stories to Evita and ending the decade with a bang in the masterpiece that is Ray of Light. Mariah and Whitney pretty much stayed in their safe, radio-friendly R&B meets pop comfort zone during this era.
    Agree with this. Everyone knows 'Bedtime Stories' was damage control after the backlash of 'Erotica' but so what? I don't care why she made that album, I care about the material - which is her best IMO and a lot of R&B fans would say the same.

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Fri March 11th, 2016, 22:04

Brilliant album. One More Chance is one of my all time M ballads. It's so underrated and underappreciated.
    Cha Cha Instructor