User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are the chances Caution is nominated for a Grammy?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100%

13 12.04%
  • 75%

11 10.19%
  • 50%

18 16.67%
  • 25%

16 14.81%
  • 10%

24 22.22%
  • 0%

26 24.07%
Page 6711 of 6903 FirstFirst ... 5711621166116661670167096710671167126713672167616811 ... LastLast
Results 167,751 to 167,775 of 172573

Thread: Mariah Carey

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 20:29

Quote Originally Posted by Marchum View Post
    I think sometimes we forget that she’s a 50 yo old woman who’s been doing this for 3 decades. She’s probably just over it lol
    The thing with Mariah is she keeps giving her all in the studio while she keeps getting more and more musical knowledge...she knows so much about music and hidden classics of the 70s and 80s

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 20:30

Quote Originally Posted by DOSSOME View Post
    Like, that Genius interview could very well be the best interview she's ever done in Forever... All the other interviews were good too... The Caution signing event was everything but "robotic"
    Exactly bae.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 20:38

Let me tell yous guys how I think the LEGEND that is Mariah Carey’s legacy has become sadly tarnished over the years by the general public and why I will always love her no matter what.

In my opinion Mariah’s music was better and with the exception of “We Belong Together” she was more successful under the management of Tommy Mottolla. I Hate to say it because I know she wasn’t able to express herself fully during that era but I have to admit that he did know how to market her in the best direction in terms of selling music. Her album sales started to decrease substantially when she took full control. Butterfly only sold 3 million compared to Daydream’s 8 million and it kept going down from there.

Tommy’s whole idea was to market her as a cross between Madonna and Whitney, Pop & R&B, etc. She had the looks and the voice. She was the total package for a 90’s superstar.

Her image started to dimish though when she only started to make music for the R&B market and along with her voice changing it became a huge probelm because she didn’t have a huge stage presence like Madonna. She was known for her voice so the general public probably didn’t enjoy her concerts much because she just stood there and the vocals werent as special as her previous years nor was her music the same that people were used to.

That’s not even the worst of it though. The whole glitter era shot her image almost to a point of no return. Many of her fans abandoned her and thought she had lost it all but she suprised everyone when she came back hard in 2005 with the Emancipation of Mimi. I think this surge of success was because 1. She had something to prove and she was ready to go hard to show the world “I am the one and only Mariah Carey and don’t forget it” 2. This era was the most popular period for R&B songs which was something that used to be working against her success, and now was bringing it up because “We Belong Together” was the perfect get in your feelings R&B song. 3. Her radio airplay promotion was powerful. I don’t know what deal she had but this was played on the radio all the time everywhere. The combination of all these three things turned the song into a success which made more people want to buy the album and support her other singles from the era.

Things didn’t stay this way for long though, her next album EMC=2 flopped in sales and it’s probably because the same trick wasn’t going to work twice. Times change fast and people just didn’t want to hear an album that was so similar to her previous one. The singles werent very catchy besides “Touch My Body” and the album was too late. The smart thing would have been to release a follow up album immediately after TEOM because it would have kept the hype going. She was doing bad before TEOM so why give people 3 years to just forget and disregard you again?

Ever since then she has never been able to pick up any momentum and her album sales just went down further and further. She had a couple hit singles with Obsessed and Beautiful but they weren’t a breakthrough and did little to help the album or her popularity. Especially after the Eminem diss track which lot of people took Eminems side with. She started to gain attention for just being a diva which is false but sometimes false information and perception sticks with the general public and it can be hard to shake.

But the saddest thing is that while she was already down that 2014 Rockefeller Christmas mic feed really hurt her reputation and made people think she was a joke. She should have never even booked the show in that condition.

Two years later and it when it seemed like it couldn’t get any worst the New Years Eve lipsync and ear montior disaster happened and that was the final nail in the coffin. The general public really thinks now Mariah is old and useless and cant sing and it’s sad.

Mariah has had a lot of bad luck and bad people in her circle who haven’t had her best interest in my and took advantage of her and her stuggles with mental health as well. Despite this she has come a long way and she’s the solo artist with the most number ones and one of the best selling female artist of all time, the five octave songbirg supreme, and one of the most famous singers in the world. She truly is a legend and she’s made her mark whether people want to acknowledge it or not. She will continue to inspire people like you and I for years and years to come. My kids will know who Mariah Carey is and hopefully their kids too.

True lambs have stuck with Mariah no matter what and her music has gotten me through the roughest times of my life. Since 2010 when I was just 13 I have been a lamb and I have listened to her music almost everyday since then because her voice is eternally blissful and I’m lucky to have experienced her talent in my lifetime. She’s my Queen of music and I don’t care what anyone says.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 20:56

Mariah joined Illuminati for money and success

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 22:01

Quote Originally Posted by SoSoBleak View Post
    Rupaul's Drag Race S11 this week's episode they did a challenge of Church of Mariah, and they all had to lip sync for their lives for not knowing anything about her. The song they had to lipsync was Waiting for tonight remix Jlo lol. Ru is a really shady b*tch lol.
    Dude... spoilers!!! Seriously!

We haven't all watched it yet.
    FLY...

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 22:17

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflymzj View Post
    Mariah really needs to bring Portrait back ASAP. She reached the audience with that song, plus it is off of Caution and can increase sales and interest. Her performance with Portrait is what we all have been asking for- just Mariah, a piano and an unplugged like acoustic of just her beautiful voice. She nailed Portrait and it came across so heartfelt. I don't care what she drops, ok maybe not NTF, but she needs to add Portrait back to the setlist! Please Mariah! Any videos I have seen of it, the audience went crazy for it.
    Let's start a campaign! BRING PORTRAIT BACK!

#BringPortraitBack
    #JusticeForPortrait

Legend
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 22:53

@Imopink1

Thank you for your long essay... but there were several points I disagree with... it has to do with the charts analysis you are pushing.

by what you are saying, you must also call Emotions a flop. You cannot compare Butterfly - a high selling albums - to Daydream which was a BLOCKBUSTER... There aren't many albums who can match Daydream's success..

What you also not include, is context. Mariah and her MOTHER gave an interview claiming how uncertain the release of Butterfly was with the separation and the internal struggles she had to face with her ex-husband in charge who went the revenge route in not supporting anything that she was doing between 1997-she left SONY.

Just look at it. Butterfly was selling ishloads of copies bc of her brand alone on the back of only 1 single. There are only a handful of 5x Platinum album which had 2 official singles. It really doesn't make any sense how they would not promote more singles from the album or release more singles. In the US the album rode on the release of Honey and it took SONY 1 year to release single #2. Albeit it received 1 airplay-only single in between. However an album which was selling so well usually gets A LOT of singles.
    That a "normal" singles release strategy affected Butterfly is evident in the fact that when My All was released and promoted... the album returned to the higher positions of the charts or re-charted.

Mariah's GLITTER fiasco was blown so out of proportion and there was a real take-down by the media going on. I mean OK so the movie wasn't that well acted or produced... Yeah that would be a fair conclusion, but the media acted as if the soundtrack gave little kids leukemia.

Also there is more circumstantial evidence on Tommy once again trying to intervene on the project than there is the MJ allegations.

I mean let's be honest.

I am not trying to say that she would have slayed everything and would have continued to be the force she was for the entire 1990s decade... but... that downfall was clearly artificially made.

Many people do not know this but CB could have matched her debuts and emotions European sales if it got the singles right. The album sold fairly well in Europe and amassed almost 400k sales between France and the UK alone.

In 2008 we all know that great things were to come. She was still riding her wave and was mighty popular and her album was massively anticipated. BUT for some reason (and that is Nick Cannon) any promotion halted after its release-week. I mean... for an act in her late 30s and for a strong album it was crucial to stay on track. In the immediate weeks after its release Mariah went on her honeymoon and re-surfaced 2 months later in June in Japan and then US.

Her label so desperately tried to copy the TEOM release strategy that they even picked a ballad as single #2 when every radio DJ in the land was ready to call Migrate her 19th #1 single. Maybe it would not have gone #1... but at the time it was a sure top 10 single.

However, calling E=MC˛ a flop is a bit extreme. The album has sold over 1,3 million (soundscan) in the US which was respectable and placed her in the top 25 (or very near that) on the year end list of 2008.

What hurt her the most is that she was last seen in Europe in April 2008 and for many markets this remains a fact until today, 2019.

It is hard to imagine how she hasn't returned to mainland Europe to promote an album since April 2008. (2009 for the UK).

But one can tell that her heart wasn't in it anymore. She became a mother... her husband fell ill... and suddenly she re-surfaces on American Idol.

In the meantime, she is getting older, radio and the entire industry becomes more ageist than ever before and music sales plummet.

I agree with you that there were some missteps in between... but can we really blame her for dealing with a divorce which let to questionable performances. Or letting an absolute vulture take advantage of her?

Flash forward to 2019. Mariah Carey has seen it all, survived it all and came out of it rather unharmed.

She has entered the realm of being a legacy act and that is what we have to come to terms with.

The issue I have is with pop-culture stans that were born post 2000 who totally, utterly and completely dismiss Mariah Carey and act as if XY's streams would rival Mariah's sales or impact. In economy, nobody is claiming that the US was a poor 3rd world country 50 years ago when GDP was considerably lower than today... but somehow those pop-girl fans act as if an album which is streamed 2-3 billion times is so much bigger than a 10, 20 or 30 million copies selling album.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 23:03

Had to get my reading glasses out there for a minute.

Was listening to this TMB remix earlier, even though it's the original vocals, I always loved this one:

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 02:41

She doesn't want a hit anymore it is now clear and the fans need to accept it now lol
    Someone Like You - Adele cover by Murtaza: https://bit.ly/2TVZ5F2

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 02:45

Quote Originally Posted by InfoFromAus View Post
    Dude... spoilers!!! Seriously!

We haven't all watched it yet.
    omg what is Church of Mariah ???
    Did I read that right?

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 03:32

Very well said, @stevyy. I couldn't agree more.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 03:41

Quote Originally Posted by Churchofmariah View Post
    omg what is Church of Mariah ???
    Did I read that right?
    I'd say watch it... but don't! lol
    Now that I've watched it, it was cringey and embarrassing.
    FLY...

Manager
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 03:46

^ and now you’re giving spoilers.
    Ugh.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 03:57

^ Oh please. I didn't tell you who had to lip sync.

The show has been cringey since Season 9.
    FLY...

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 05:08

When was this?

I don't think the audio it's from that rare performance tho.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 08:24

Happy to see ANN and Caution being included in her list of popular songs on Spotify.
    She was kind of fragile and she had a lot to grapple with but basically she kept it all inside ...

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 08:40

Not disinterested but maybe a little less passionate. I think from the album release until a few weeks after With You was released she was genuinely into it but maybe seeing that With You was not going anywhere she went meh and just went on or whatever. She also gained a few weight and if you noticed the moments when Mariah tends to gain weight....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Lafa; Sat March 16th, 2019 at 12:52.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 14:09

I think it is unrealistic at this point to think a stradigy will sky rocket Mariah again, if that is going to happen I think it will just be that the GP is interested.
    You can't go back and do what you did at 20 that is just silly, and Mariah doesn't want that she has other things in life that matter to her like independence and family.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 14:15

We have her insane popularity at Christmas that is nothing to laugh at, this current album is wonderful, I couldn't care less if she is top charts or getting lame awards, what I think we need to focus on is Mariah's relationship with making the lambs happy, maybe she could create a better fanclub, how about a lamb cruise?? She also needs to know that we really want some DVD's of her concerts and some releases of stuff that hasn't seen the light of day, I think she should focus on creating a whole new way of interacting with fans, create Mariah based activities so we can get together and celebrate.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 14:18

With all that said I think this recent tour is proof that giving the fans what they want is very profitable!

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 14:39

Quote Originally Posted by Churchofmariah View Post
    I think it is unrealistic at this point to think a stradigy will sky rocket Mariah again, if that is going to happen I think it will just be that the GP is interested.
    You can't go back and do what you did at 20 that is just silly, and Mariah doesn't want that she has other things in life that matter to her like independence and family.
    Lol a great strategy will do miracles for Mariah.

I personally think she has played it safe music wise since 2014 (talking about the released singles). The first misstep was releasing Your Mine which is like WBT 5.0.

I don't and infinity did not really have anything groundbreaking. GTFO sparked interest but WY killed it. Personally I AM OKAY with how they handled the album release but obviously there will always be a better strategy. And this is me looking at it from the outside. She did try to do new things with such great gems off the album but she or and her team played it safe by releasing WY which is a generic song (for me). Also it was (for me) random that they released ANN without ANY promo (not that the GP know of). The Distance gained much traction when she performed it on Fallon, ANN is a fan favorite but they chose to capitalize on rumors about the cardi b and lil kim collabo and released ANN without these folks. They should have pushed The Distance as a single. She should have done the tour and release Giving Me life or caution as the next single OR release a deluxe edition of the album with more songs and release a new single.

Maybe she just released the album for the fans and made videos for fun and I am thankful for that. Maybe I just missed the risk taker Mariah back when she pushed for doing things that people say she could not do and did it anyway and became one of the worlds greatest living legends.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 14:51

Guys, here again to ask you to vote in this poll XD It's sad to see Mariah with 2%... the site is a mess, so use icognito window to vote (you can vote more than once with different email accounts. Actually I used the same email address and it also worked lol).

https://b1039.com/choose-what-you-want-to-hear/#/questions/

Manager
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 16:19

Quote Originally Posted by kiranaru View Post
    Guys, here again to ask you to vote in this poll XD It's sad to see Mariah with 2%... the site is a mess, so use icognito window to vote (you can vote more than once with different email accounts. Actually I used the same email address and it also worked lol).

https://b1039.com/choose-what-you-want-to-hear/#/questions/
    Ill vote. Thanks
    Proceed with Caution

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat March 16th, 2019, 17:46

"

NEWS

Viva Las Vegas: Why Sin City Residencies No Longer Signify A Long Farewell

Once thought to be a lucrative last hurrah for an aging artist's career, the Las Vegas residency has undergone a sea change in the last decade, playing long-term host to mega-stars like Lady Gaga, Cardi B, Drake and more

LARRY FITZMAURICE
    GRAMMYS MAR 15, 2019 - 11:20 AM

When it comes to the overall trajectory of commerce and entertainment, it's often tempting to read into the theoretical tea leaves that Las Vegas represents. The culture of the Strip itself has, in its own way, reflected the perspective of American culture over time—from its initially seedy-and-glitzy reputation to its rebranding attempt as an adult-ified Disney World that the whole family can still enjoy, to the city epicenter's current residing stance of somewhere in between those two moral poles. A similar transformation has taken place when it comes to the Vegas residency, too: a bespoke entertainment-industry staple that was once the stomping ground of now-musty musical dinosaurs like Elvis and Frank Sinatra has now become part and parcel of the touring circuit for some of the biggest acts in pop music today.

In recent months, Drake and Cardi B announced Vegas residencies off the heels of Lady Gaga's own Sin City spectacular and Mariah Carey's own career-spanning extravaganza from a few years back. This trend is in its early stages, which means that we're likely to see more of music's biggest stars taking a similar route over the next few years; it's not unimaginable to assume that Imagine Dragons—undoubtedly the most successful Vegas-hailing ...."
    Last edited by Churchofmariah; Sat March 16th, 2019 at 17:51.