• Top 3

6 22.22%
  • Top 5

4 14.81%
  • Top 10

3 11.11%
  • Other

1 3.70%
Page 6898 of 6957 FirstFirst ... 589863986798684868886896689768986899690069086948 ... LastLast
Results 172,426 to 172,450 of 173925

Thread: Mariah Carey

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 01:55

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    Probably.

The Cosmo one where she was doing Kristofer's makeup was really fun. It mixed her fun personality, her "500 hours", and gave us some new insight into music and video shooting.

I think I may be bored of this Mimi series because there isn't anything new, especially after the Cosmo one.

Her social media presence is great without this series. But if some people are finding it enjoyable then I guess it's serving its purpose. I know Dinah's fanbase was happy she finally got to meet MC.

I really liked the video she did with Glamour last year. That was cute.

I think this series can be considered a misfire in an otherwise stellar social media strategy. It has potential, but they really have to work on it if they want to catch and hold people's attention. They're not doing it for kicks.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 01:57

Quote Originally Posted by LambChild View Post
    What’s funny is that Dinah was 2 rows behind be at one of the Beacon 2016 shows and I saw her walk backstage. Then when I was waiting for Mariah post concert I saw her exit the backstage area (this was the same night she performed with R Kelly and I saw him leave through that way too). I wonder if they never got a chance to talk or maybe both parties would rather forget as it was 2016....
    OMG, where have you been?!

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:01

Quote Originally Posted by AlmondBreeze View Post
    From Billboard - interview with Johnta Austin. This section is about writing with Mariah on TEOM:

We knew we were making something special with this album. All the pressure to do it was coming off of 2001's Glitter. I remember my publisher at the time thought I was crazy for spending so much time with Mariah, because I had another opportunity to work with a fellow big artist. He asked, "Are you sure you want to work with Mariah?" I told him, "I'm here in the studio. I feel the energy and I know what's being done here." With "We Belong Together," I don't think anyone could predict that type of success. But we knew that we were making great music for MC.
    This is so sad to hear - that even publishers were asking their artists why they would want to work with her. I mean...it's Mariah! She really made people eat crow with "Mimi".

Manager
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:07

Quote Originally Posted by banksy View Post
    OMG, where have you been?!
    I’m still here haha! I still read often but I find myself disagreeing with certain members of the panel a lot of the time and I want to remain above the fray and not argue.

I’ve enjoyed the Mimi moments thus far I just think Dinah may have been nervous on this one. I’m hoping something came out of the Marshmello moment!
    funny how one can learn
    to grow numb to the madness
    and block it away

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:09

This is so sad to hear - that even publishers were asking their artists why they would want to work with her. I mean...it's Mariah! She really made people eat crow with "Mimi".
    I had a friend who otherwise listens exclusively to metal and hardcore techno admit that he loves TEOM---it's that powerful! What time to be a fan, especially if you had her back during Glitter and Charmbracelet eras. The success was quite vindicating

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:24

It just shows how damaged her reputation was at the time. She was the biggest thing in music - male or female - of the 1990s and suddenly in September of 2001 she returned to being a complete forgotten non-factor in music with every publication and every person in entertainment mocking her, she was the punchline of all jokes in late night TV at the time. Jay Leno was cruel, Letterman was very aggressively nasty.

She was facing what Janet would later also face, complete career annihilation. Her name and impact was completely eradicated from the books. Nobody wanted anything to do with her. They treated her like she was responsible for 9/11... a persona non grata, a poisonous entity in music and entertainment in general. Nobody wanted anything to do with her.

That is why, besides his flaws, Jermaine Dupri really showed character by working with her again. And LA Reid for whatever reason, also did his part with the project, despite almost killing it by atrocious singles choices. Thank God he decided to send her back into the studio.

By late summer 2005 Mariah was back. Everything from the past 2 years prior was forgotten. She was more than fogiven for Glitter. It suddenly didn't exist anymore. That was a once-in-a-lifetime return to prominence. Never before has someone titled "industry poison" made a comeback like that.

Her 2nd peak lasted until sping 2008. Then everything levelled out and her career was gradually transformed into that of a legacy act and another 10 years later, we are where we are.

Mariah Carey has survived the industry. The highest heights and lowest lows. From celebrated princess and darling of everyone, to a villain and laughing stock of the highest scale. That is why I cherish her so much and that will also be the reason why her autobiography will become a testament of time in the entertainment industry and a guideline for everyone who aspires to become a part of it.

One thing is true, the fans have saved her life. Jermaine and a handful of true lifelong personal friends also. That is why Mariah Carey also is a trailblazer for every female in the game.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:35

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    It just shows how damaged her reputation was at the time. She was the biggest thing in music - male or female - of the 1990s and suddenly in September of 2001 she returned to being a complete forgotten non-factor in music with every publication and every person in entertainment mocking her, she was the punchline of all jokes in late night TV at the time. Jay Leno was cruel, Letterman was very aggressively nasty.

She was facing what Janet would later also face, complete career annihilation. Her name and impact was completely eradicated from the books. Nobody wanted anything to do with her. They treated her like she was responsible for 9/11... a persona non grata, a poisonous entity in music and entertainment in general. Nobody wanted anything to do with her.

That is why, besides his flaws, Jermaine Dupri really showed character by working with her again. And LA Reid for whatever reason, also did his part with the project, despite almost killing it by atrocious singles choices. Thank God he decided to send her back into the studio.

By late summer 2005 Mariah was back. Everything from the past 2 years prior was forgotten. She was more than fogiven for Glitter. It suddenly didn't exist anymore. That was a once-in-a-lifetime return to prominence. Never before has someone titled "industry poison" made a comeback like that.

Her 2nd peak lasted until sping 2008. Then everything levelled out and her career was gradually transformed into that of a legacy act and another 10 years later, we are where we are.

Mariah Carey has survived the industry. The highest heights and lowest lows. From celebrated princess and darling of everyone, to a villain and laughing stock of the highest scale. That is why I cherish her so much and that will also be the reason why her autobiography will become a testament of time in the entertainment industry and a guideline for everyone who aspires to become a part of it.

One thing is true, the fans have saved her life. Jermaine and a handful of true lifelong personal friends also. That is why Mariah Carey also is a trailblazer for every female in the game.
    I felt emotional reading this

Legend
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:39

Great post stevyy! I couldn’t agree more. This woman is a certified legend and one of the most resilient stars of all time.
    The Queen. Period.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 02:44

I think people underestimate how big of a hit Obsessed was, especially for someone nearly 20 years into the game. And I'd say she transformed into not just a legacy act, but a legendary act as well as the queen of Xmas.

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 03:11

Quote Originally Posted by woabritney View Post
    I think people underestimate how big of a hit Obsessed was, especially for someone nearly 20 years into the game. And I'd say she transformed into not just a legacy act, but a legendary act as well as the queen of Xmas.
    that is why I used the term "levelled out". Of course it was big. Memoirs as a whole was kind of big, selling over 500k in the USA alone. But time moves on and never stops. And her impact on the charts, the things she can do on her name alone, has gradually vanished. Maybe "I Don't" (2017) will stay as her last "current" single to ever hit the H100 in an ever sp growing hostile streaming era that doesn't allow for older acts to be heard.

But that is OK. There is nothing that the woman hasn't done in her life as a professional commercial music artist. There is nothing she could wish for anymore bc everything she could achieve in the future, she has already achieved in the past.

It is just a nice continuation of her brand at this point. She loves making music and it is showing in her outputs. Caution is a true testament of that. She will continue to tell stories, move people by being moved and maybe it won't open with 100k anymore, maybe it will be so delicate that only dogs can hear it whistle. But it is her writing on the wall. Mariah Carey was here, she still is and she will continue to express herself in front of all us lambs.

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 04:40

Quote Originally Posted by mm2912 View Post
    For the delusional lambs, Mariah is NOT featured on the lion king album

Exclusive: Wizkid, Tiwa Savage, Fally Ipula, Michelle Williams, Kelly Rowland, Elton John, Lebo M, Dbanj, Onyeka Owenu, AKA.

Cassper Nyovest, Femi Kuti, Lady Black Mombazo, Stormzy, Arrow Benjamin, and Don Jazzy are also confirmed to be on #TheGift Dropping July 19th

this is fire if this line up is true
    Forever Young

Superstar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 08:57

Stevyy that post was excellent. Very well said.
    To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 09:43

That is why she needs another HUGE era to have the lastest of laughs
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 11:41

That post read like the back cover of her memoir

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 11:44

ahaha shh
    Forever Young

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 12:17

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    That is why she needs another HUGE era to have the lastest of laughs
    It would be a fan's dream but equally, I'm loving the underrated nature of Mariah the last few years. Vocally she has been very consistent, the quality of her music is excellent. I would of course love another era where she is receiving all the love and adoration from the public. But I just don't think she will receive the label investment to generate the type of push that is needed to make any impactful splash on the charts.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 13:23

It felt like a voiceover of a documentary or something lol

Manager
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 13:26

that is why I used the term "levelled out". Of course it was big. Memoirs as a whole was kind of big, selling over 500k in the USA alone. But time moves on and never stops. And her impact on the charts, the things she can do on her name alone, has gradually vanished. Maybe "I Don't" (2017) will stay as her last "current" single to ever hit the H100 in an ever sp growing hostile streaming era that doesn't allow for older acts to be heard.

But that is OK. There is nothing that the woman hasn't done in her life as a professional commercial music artist. There is nothing she could wish for anymore bc everything she could achieve in the future, she has already achieved in the past.

It is just a nice continuation of her brand at this point. She loves making music and it is showing in her outputs. Caution is a true testament of that. She will continue to tell stories, move people by being moved and maybe it won't open with 100k anymore, maybe it will be so delicate that only dogs can hear it whistle. But it is her writing on the wall. Mariah Carey was here, she still is and she will continue to express herself in front of all us lambs.
    I love your posts :,)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 13:32

I just can't deal with how beautiful she looks today, and she is a tiger when she is healthy and invested, I am very interested to see what she has lined up!

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 13:39

Stevyy you nailed it, thank you man

I love this woman so much,
    Thank You God for Mariah.

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 14:22

The viral Bottle Cap video spurred MC into the top 10 of Billboard's Artist Social 50 chart. It's a new peak for her:

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 14:24

Was emotional reading stevy's post ☹️

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 15:05

Quote Originally Posted by woabritney View Post
    Obsessed and TMB were huge, still I don't understand how those albums flopped even worse than Charmbraclet. Bad promo? Reputation? What could she have done to extend her commercial peak?

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 15:20

Quote Originally Posted by Flopofageneration View Post
    Obsessed and TMB were huge, still I don't understand how those albums flopped even worse than Charmbraclet. Bad promo? Reputation? What could she have done to extend her commercial peak?
    first if all, neither albums flopped. They did what they were supposed to do. E=MC˛ was supposed to guarantee her another #1 single and the bare minimum that what expected in regards to sales was platinum - which it nailed quite effortlessly.

E=MC˛ was named the 22nd best charting album of 2008 in the US. In terms of sales, it was named the 18th best selling album in the country by soundscan.

Memoirs' only flaw - if that even is the right expression to use here - was its timing. It came out way too early after E=MC˛. The market was over-saturated with her (remember in 2008 she was everywhere). The industry was also pushing a different type of diva during that time. But against all odds, she got a nice Top 10 single out of it and decent albums sales:

2009 Year End charts:
    #93 - Soundscan - Memoirs
    #101 - Billboard - Memoirs

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 15:22

Quote Originally Posted by Flopofageneration View Post
    Different sales climate too. TMB was huge but it was off the back of TEOM so she had huge hype and expectation. But she didn't build on TMB. Releasing Bye Bye was a mistake. It should have been Migrate. And she lost interest as soon as she got married so the momentum died.

Obsessed was obviously a big hit in 2009 but the handling of that album release was god awful. There was too much of a gap between Obsessed coming out and the second single, which again wasn't a good choice. Promo was booked for the original August release date and was cancelled. The second single had a terrible video that released months too late. The album was released in different regions almost 2 months after the US. Obsessed didn't get a proper international release so the whole thing was a big ol' mess.

That's why the albums didn't perform as good as they could have. MCIIY did well in the US but there was no international promo.

MIAM was a mess because Mariah self sabotaged that era by holding the album to ransom and not availing of the momentum and exposure she had after Idol and #Beautiful. She could have had another Gold album in the US with MIAM if it had come out in May-July 2013 when it was expected to come out. Promo was booked, shelf space was bought and all of that had to be cancelled. By the time the album came out, the fans had even lost interest.

So both Mariah and equally the label, being IDJ for most of this, have played a huge part in why her commercial relevance declined after 2008-2009. You have to consider market saturation as well. This is an artist that had been releasing music so regularly for 20 years by 2010. Every product reaches a point where you can't keep rebranding. The audience/fanbase naturally grows up and there's always a more younger, hotter act that will get the label and industry investment. As well as that, I think by 2009/2010 Mariah was beginning to venture into a more legacy phase of her career anyway. She wanted a family. She had considered a Vegas residency in 2009. Doing a second Christmas album was also a legacy move based on her first album. Obviously I think Mariah still wants a hit but she's a business woman and the moves she made after 2009 were more about ensuring her financial viability going forward instead of focusing solely on commercial dominance.