Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia VS Zimbabwe

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 8th, 2003, 23:55

Okay the Series kicks off in just a matter of hours.

So more records for Steven Waugh and his men to take? Let's hope so! It should be another ompelling performance of absolute proffessionalism from Australia - snd yet more proof as to why they are possibly the greates Cricketing side of all time.

The team has been slightly changed - Glenn's still out with an Ankle problem so Stuart Macgill keeps his place in the Test side - Brad Williams has to settle for 12rh man duties - though his chance will come eventually.

Damien Martyn also comes back into the side after his hand injury - Martin Love is the player replaced?

Anyway so surely nothing other than a series whitewash for Australia?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 9th, 2003, 05:10

Well the Aussies are definitely going to win this, but everytime Zimbabwe is on the field, they always give a never die attitude, and plus they have performed decently in the warmup matches.

I still remember that game in Carlton & United series when Australia scored 300 odd runs, and Zimbabwe barely chased that target and they were just 1 run short. Remember that series Deadman?
    Gotta hold on to..New Sensation...A New Sensation.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 9th, 2003, 17:33

End of Day 1: Australia 372 for 3 (Hayden 183*, Waugh 61*)

• Matthew Hadyen raises his bat after scoring 100

Hayden's hundred puts Australia in control

Matthew Hayden, reportedly battling a back problem that almost prevented him from playing, unleashed a century of outstanding quality which contained all the elements of batsmanship that have made him one of the most dominant destroyers on the world stage over the last few years. By the close, Australia had marched to 372 for 3, with Hayden unbeaten on 183. The unbroken fourth-wicket stand of 173 with Steve Waugh utterly demoralised Zimbabwe, who had fought hard for a semblance of parity in the first two sessions.

Hayden attacked early on, to gain the ascendancy, then anchored the innings through potential danger before finishing off the day with an assault that bordered on the sublime. He took 308 minutes and 210 balls to reach his 15th Test century, but needed just 32 more deliveries to speed past 150. It was a brutal decimation of an impotent attack, with the prospect of more punishment tomorrow.

The day had started on an emotional note with 88 seconds of silence in memory of the 88 victims of the Bali bombings, which happened a year ago on Sunday. There was also a presentation of medallions to both teams in honour of the first match in Australia between these sides, and a special greeting for the umpires and the referee as part of the Australian Sports Commission's Year of the Official.

The way Australia started, it seemed as if they were on a time bonus to complete the match within three days. Hayden and Justin Langer scored at six an over with some audacious strokeplay, more in keeping with the final session of a day than the start. High risk brings greater demand for execution, and when Langer had made 26 he failed to cover a ball that he played defensively onto his stumps off an inside edge. Sean Ervine's medium-pace had done what Heath Streak and Andy Blignaut's superior speed had not been able to achieve.

Further success came just after lunch when Ervine trapped Ricky Ponting in front for 37. Throughout it all, Hayden was immovable. He reined in the aggression when Langer departed, and it wasn't until after he had scored his century that he opened out.

Martyn supported Matthew Hayden from the other end, raises his bat when reached 50.

Damien Martyn came in and rattled off a quickfire 53 from 76 balls before he edged one to slip off Trevor Gripper's gentle offspin. But with Steve Waugh settling in, there was no more respite for Zimbabwe. After a period of consolidation just after tea, Hayden and Waugh lifted the scoring tempo with imperceptible ease. Hayden reached his century, and then moved into another realm.

Zimbabwe's attack was ill-equipped to contain the power and intent of the Australians. If Streak thought the second new ball might rescue his day, and the decision to bowl first, reality was less than one over away. Hayden took 14 runs from the first over - a four to cover, another to midwicket and six over long-on. In between, he copped a severe blow to his left knee when he pulled the ball down onto it, leaving him hobbling in pain.

For Ervine, there was some comfort with two wickets for 56 but, in all likelihood, Australia have already done enough to wrap up this match quickly. However, as long as Hayden maintains his desire, the prospects for individual records are limitless. And then there's the small matter of Perth being the only current Test ground in Australia on which Waugh hasn't scored a century ... yet. The omens aren't that great for Zimbabwe ahead of the second day.

Hayden is back! Martyn and Steven scored a good knock of 50. Probably Aussies will declare at 500 and finish Zimbabwe less than 300 and ask them to bat again and then MAY BE they'll have come to bat 100 or so and take the game away.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 9th, 2003, 23:07

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    Well the Aussies are definitely going to win this, but everytime Zimbabwe is on the field, they always give a never die attitude, and plus they have performed decently in the warmup matches.
    Yeah that is sooo true and was mentioned by both sets of captains - and i agree fully - i was just gonna say the same - they have great team spirit.

I still remember that game in Carlton & United series when Australia scored 300 odd runs, and Zimbabwe barely chased that target and they were just 1 run short. Remember that series Deadman?
    It rings a bell yes!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu October 9th, 2003, 23:12

Well i have to say that just a few days back i was thinking to myself how Matthew Hayden has completely lost his form and is not the player he was last year - and how he really needed a big knock - and boy he has and is on his way to getting it! Justin was unlucky in the way he got out - and a good knock from Damien too though possibly he could have gone on to convert his half ton into a century? As for Ricky well he's Ricky! He did the hard work in getting himself in, dug hard but then with his shovel decided to dig his own grave by walking across the crase and playing across the line (as he often does) and then eventually threw away the shovel and decided to fall into the grave! As for Steven well what can you say - surely another century right? Anyway it will be very tough for Zimbabwe toget back into this match now - especially as for the first time ib 15 years they don't have one of the Flower brothers.

Anyhow it leaves now an easy Test For Australia - Matthew will be looking to convert his score into possibly a triple ton - he missed out in the Ashes series when he was unbeaten on 197 overnight and got dismissed the next morning without adding to his total - he'll be looking to avoid doing that again.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 10th, 2003, 18:04

Australia declared innings on 735/6. Adam Gilchrist N.O on 113. Steven Waugh couldn't make it to the century ton

Zimbabwe are 79/1 at the end of Day 2.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 10th, 2003, 21:58

Oh what a day! Yet more records tumbling and the Australian side just marches right on. The game is now widely in their favour though their bowling ain't quite been upto scratch so far - though i'm sure they'll be back to their normal best soon enough in the Test.

Anyway more to come on Matthew in the other topic - man what a damn performance!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by Sat October 11th, 2003, 02:06

You have to kind of feel sorry for the Zimbabwe team - they came out here hoping to make this a bit of a contest and the home team have just come along and completely annihilated them! Anyway, full credit to my boys, they certainly put on a show yesterday for the Perth crowd!
    Let's embrace the point of no return.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat October 11th, 2003, 11:03

Here I am Deadman

Well so far it has been pretty entertaining (coming from an Aussie )

Anyhow, I can't see Zimbabwe doin much in this game. I've actually been surprised at how average they have been playing. I mean the Aussie are on fire but Z are a better team than the performance they are turning in. I hope they make more of a match of it.....
    She don't like that kind of behaviour.
    So thrown down your guns,
    Don't be so reckless.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat October 11th, 2003, 20:29

Aussies face injuries trouble!

• Injury concern for Australia as Zimbabwe stare defeat

Australia 735 for 6 dec lead Zimbabwe 239 and 87 for 2(Vermeulen 50, Carlisle 26*; Gillespie 2-6) by 409 runs

Australia's march to victory over Zimbabwe wasn't derailed, but it was moved onto a siding during the last session of the third day when both Jason Gillespie and Stuart MacGill went off the field - and later to hospital for scans - with injuries. It was a situation Mark Vermeulen and Stuart Carlisle turned to their advantage as they went to stumps on 87 for 2, still 409 runs behind Australia.

Vermeulen, playing his fifth Test, scored his second half century, off 79 balls, in an innings where he accumulated runs against the lesser bowling of Darren Lehmann and Damien Martyn. Carlisle was 26 not out at stumps.

MacGill left the field after bowling four balls of his fourth over in the second innings, feeling a twinge behind his right knee. He had taken 2 for 54 in the first innings. With Gillespie already off due to a slight side strain, and replaced in the field by Brad Williams, Tim Neilson, the Australian assistant coach, took to the field.

After the heady events of the second day when Matthew Hayden scaled Test match batting's highest peak, there was a much more realistic Test match atmosphere about the play as the Zimbabweans struggled to extend the match beyond four days. Until Gillespie and MacGill left the field with their injuries, that hope appeared misplaced.

Zimbabwe's hopes of a solid performance in their first innings were undone early in the day when Trevor Gripper was hit on the ear by Brett Lee. Two balls later, he was unable to keep down a sharp, rising ball which took the splice of his bat and flew to Darren Lehmann at gully. Gripper had just posted his half-century.

Vermeulen had shaped promisingly but fell to a splendid leg-spinner's delivery from MacGill which spun across him, took the edge of his bat and was taken at first slip by Matthew Hayden. It was a copy of the dismissal a little earlier of Carlisle. There was some resistance from the batsman of Zimbabwe's tour s0o far, Craig Wishart. He played some lovely shots straight and square on the off, especially against MacGill, but was undone by one of the better balls of the day from Andy Bichel. It moved a fraction to the off from the pitch and Wishart, attempting to play it off the back foot with his bat away from his body, caught the edge and the ball went through to Adam Gilchrist. He left for 46, and Zimbabwe were 199 for 5.

Once Gillespie removed Tatenda Taibu, trapping him leg before wicket for 15, the end came quickly. Brett Lee seized the chance to scythe through the lower-order, dismissing Heath Streak and Andy Blignaut off successive fast, swinging deliveries, while Gillespie bowled Ervine to end the innings at 239.

The Australians were not at their most penetrative, Lee rarely bowling at his most express pace, and Gillespie clearly affected by his injury. They were however consistently accurate and never under any pressure. Waugh was able to do without Lee's pace to break up partnerships which meant that when the final breakthrough came, Lee was still warmed up and able to start afresh in the second innings.

It was Gillespie who made the initial breakthrough when the follow-on was enforced, having Trevor Gripper out from the first ball he faced - a poor defensive shot that went off the edge to Gilchrist. Dion Ebrahim made just 4 before playing on to his stumps off Gillespie, leaving Zimbabwe 11 for 2. The Australian bowling was left enfeebled by the departure of both Gillespie and MacGill and Vermeulen and Carlisle were able to add 76 unbroken runs, and take the fight to another day. How long they extend the defiance is another matter altogether.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 12th, 2003, 00:52

Quote Originally Posted by BadRapture
    Here I am Deadman
    Hehe - about damn time!

Oh and great to see you post too Virgostar.

Anyway usual fun and games from Australia - the match is now in the bag. Though it really was bad from themat times - i mean really they should have been trying to break the world record for the biggest ever win in Test Match history. It stands at an innings and 500 odd runs and especially even more so as it was by England against Australia! But they threw away too many runs for that! Nah but being serious the bowling was weakened by the deprture's of Jason and Stauart - hopefully they will be okay to play for the rest of the Test or at least the next Test in the series. The Australian bowling attack has been somewhat week as of late - possibly Shane not being there is beginning to show?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 12th, 2003, 13:53

Oh my...this is so bad. Australia had suffered from the absence through injury of Stuart MacGill and Jason Gillespie, and the rain just compounded that. In an effort to keep his players on the field in the final session, Steve Waugh took Brett Lee and Andy Bichel off, and used his slow bowlers in the quest for the last wicket. But Heath Streak and Raymond Price stood firm while adding 25 runs for the last wicket which resulted in stumps being drawn with Australia needing only one wicket for victory.

Give a lot of credit to Zimbabwe! Though rain made it difficult to Aussies to win the Test match but let's be honest, Zimbabwe were never in a chase of winning this Test match. Heath Streak must have wanted a draw which I am sure he'll be glad that his team done that.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 12th, 2003, 21:59

Well surely the only thing that can save Zimbabwe is the weather?

Anyhow just a few other points i want to make but i'll wait until the end of the Test for them.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Mon October 13th, 2003, 17:37

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman
    Well surely the only thing that can save Zimbabwe is the weather?
    Yeah..in their dreams

Australia won the 1st Test match by an inning and 75 runs!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Tue October 14th, 2003, 19:06

Yeah an easy win in the end for Australia. More questions being asked about Steven Waugh's future - apparantly he was told by the board that yet even still his future was uncertain! I mean come on! Even after the form he's been in lately his place in the side is still not guaranteed?!?!? Boy oh boy! This has even prompted me to put back my few points until after the series.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 15th, 2003, 00:29

It's ridiculous ain't it? The board of selectors are showing a real lack of respect here. They guys is playing really well and captaining better than ever - what justification do they have?

I'm backing Steve, he's a legend.
    She don't like that kind of behaviour.
    So thrown down your guns,
    Don't be so reckless.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed October 15th, 2003, 20:18

I agree with you 100% mate. The word respect says it all - and the lack of it shown to Steve is incredibly unbelievable - how the Australian board can think of parting ways with him is truly what i would unthinkable - as you said BadRapture he is a true legend.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 17th, 2003, 19:59

Stuart Carlisle - First Test Century

At the end of Day 1 of 2nd Test, Zimbabwe are 256/8. Stuart Carlisle was the center of attention as he scored his first century and that too against the might Aussie side. Well done to him. He led the Zimbabwe side from disarray to a fighting total. Looks like Zimbabwe have finally discovered a good middle order batsman in the shape of Stuart Carlisle.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 17th, 2003, 20:15

Err yeah. Not good from Australia - they will be very disapointed with the way the first day's play went. and especially given the fact that this side is so dominant players who get their chance in the side should definately take it - what a waste including Simon Katich in the side - why the hell wasn't Andrew Symonds chosen ahead of him?

Anyway Australia have to keep the Zimbabwayan score below 300 - and bat quickly on the second day - it won't be easy winning at the SCG - especially with the turn in the pitch later on.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Fri October 17th, 2003, 21:00

Yeah I was surprised at that too Deadman - I was so looking forward to see Andrew Symonds to play

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat October 18th, 2003, 20:24

At the end of Day 2.

Zimbabwe 308 all out.

Australia 245/3.

Ricky Pointing not out 137.

Ricky leads the Aussies again!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat October 18th, 2003, 21:55

Yeah I was surprised at that too Deadman - I was so looking forward to see Andrew Symonds to play
    It must be due to injury - i can't think of anything else. The County season down in the U.K. has finished so i dunno really! Surely they (Australian Selectors) weren't stupid enough to leave him out because they thought Katich would be a better choice????

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 19th, 2003, 18:09

• Dare Zimbabwe dream of chance at Sydney?

Raymond Price - Bowler, Aussies won't forget
    • Day Three - Stumps Zimbabwe 308 and 151 for 4 lead Australia 403 by 56 runs.

Zimbabwe ended day three of their second Test with Australia in Sydney, on the verge of setting the world champions a testing target on a ground not known for its high successful fourth inning chases. The position is finely-balanced and much hinges on the remaining batsmen scoring enough to allow pressure to be applied on the Australians.

Ahead by 56 runs, with six wickets in hand, Zimbabwe need only to avoid stage fright to ensure a competitive end to the game. And they must be confident after the way Raymond Price's left-arm spin undid so many of Australia's quality players in the first innings. He helped restrict Australia's lead to 95 runs when the last six wickets fell for 120 runs. If they can achieve a lead around the 300-run mark they could give themselves a chance of achieving what must have seemed like a dream as they contemplated Matthew Hayden's world record batting during the first Test.

Price achieved a career-best performance of 6 for 121. Bowling from the southern end for all but a few overs, when the second new ball was taken, he picked up an impressive collection of wickets. It all started when he lobbed the ball into the rough, had a ball spin across Waugh, catch his gloves and hit his knee to be held at short-leg by the diving Stuart Carlisle, who completed yet another fine catch in the innings. Waugh, who scored 61, had shared a stand of 135 with Ponting.

With Waugh out of the way, Price turned his attention to Ponting and worked away at him, gnawing at his concentration by bowling drawn out overs and eventually having his reward when he got a ball to bounce onto Ponting. The batsman played the ball down correctly at his feet, but in getting into position, he slightly parted his legs and the ball bounced between them and hit middle stump. He scored 169 off 249 balls and his innings included 23 fours and two sixes.

Gilchrist was typically into his stride immediately, a fact he signalled by coming down the wicket to Price and hitting a huge six to mid-wicket. He had reached 20 when Heath Streak, bowling better than at any other time during the series, undid him so expertly by getting inswing with the new ball which pierced the gap between bat and pad like a tracer bullet and collected his off stump. Gilchrist, thoroughly beaten, didn't even bother looking behind at the damage. Meanwhile, Katich, who had joined Ponting at 283, played a steadying hand, quietly building an innings which became all the more important as the heavy artillery was weeded out.

He wasn't afraid to go for his shots when he could and revealed his own skills, including an over from Gavin Ewing which allowed him to cover drive a four and then play a lovely back cut to see the 300 up. Katich scored his maiden half century but then played too wide at a ball from Price and was bowled behind his legs for 52.

Looking to put as many runs on as possible, firstly to wipe out the 95-run deficit and then to put as much distance on the Australians as possible, Zimbabwe made a bad start, losing Dion Ebrahim for a duck in the first over of the second innings. However, Mark Vermeulen and Trevor Gripper applied themselves, although Vermeulen had a life when umpire Brent Bowden wasn't convinced he had hit a ball which rebounded off his shoulder to be held by Matthew Hayden at first slip. Zimbabwe were 61 at the time.

At 89, Gripper was dropped at square-leg by Damien Martyn, but four runs later, Waugh took a fine catch in the covers as Vermeulen attempted a back-foot drive to be dismissed for 48. First innings century maker Stuart Carlisle opened his second innings with a sweet square cut which also brought up the 100, from Williams's bowling.

But he failed to get onto a ball from Simon Katich and Williams was waiting on the deep square leg boundary to accept the catch which left Zimbabwe 103 for 3. Then at 114, Gripper lunged at a ball from Katich outside off stump and Matthew Hayden, at first slip, dived to his left to take the catch.

When bad light again caused an early end to play, Craig Wishart and Tatenda Taibu had carried the score through to 151. Wishart was 32 not out and Taibu 14. Katich had completed a sound day by taking 2 for 23, as the Australians had to get used to being without the firepower of Brett Lee, who is out of cricket for at least a month

Holy Crap. Raymond Price destroyed the best side of the Cricket World, took his career's best figures. At the moment, the pendulum swings in Zimbabwe's way. Aussies' are facing real trouble. Bret Lee is out of Cricket and he won't be playing in this Test match, neither in the Triangular tournament.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun October 19th, 2003, 18:27

That was an absolute shambles from Australia! How the hell are they getting this so badly wrong? By the way i was just saying before the start of this Test how quiet Ricky had been since the tour of the Carrabean but i thought nah wait until this Test is up and then we'll see if he manages to do anything - and he did! A great knock and also he took the catch to dismiss Carlisle. But what is it with him hey? Boy when he gets to high scores he don't half get out in the most stupid manors ever! Boy oh boy - the one when he was on 206 against the West Indies was bat but to drag onto your stumps with the ball going through your legs? Anyhow Australia should still manage to win the match - though it'll need a good performance from the bowles - somebody is gonna have to step up and its gonna have to be Andy Bichel.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Mon October 20th, 2003, 09:20

Australia won the 2nd Test Match by 9 wickets - Congratulations

Man of the Match: Ricky Pointing

Man of the Series: Matthew Hayden

Celebrations for Simon Kaitch

Well - what you know - Australian part-time spinner Simon Katich finished with figures of 6-65 in only his second test appearance. Talk about another great potentinal find hey?

As for Ricky Pointing and Matthew Hayden - there's only one word best to describe them AWESOME So, it's now total 41 victories in Test match for Steven Waugh. The record is keep getting better and better.

Anyway, Australia will fly to India to play the Triangular series with host India and New Zealand. Brett Lee has been ruled out. The Aussie squad will be announced within 72 hours.