Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna - Like a Virgin [album]

Legend
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

by » Mon June 20th, 2016, 14:15

Like a Virgin is the second studio album by American singer-songwriter Madonna, released on November 12, 1984 by Sire Records. It was re-released worldwide in 1985, with the inclusion of the bonus track "Into the Groove". In 2001, Warner Bros. Records released a remastered version with two bonus remix tracks. After the release of her self-titled debut album, Madonna wanted to solidify her future in the music business, by building on the success of the first album. She decided to become one of the record producers, but Warner Bros. was not ready to give her the artistic freedom that she wanted. Nile Rodgers was chosen as the primary producer of the album, due to his work with David Bowie.

The album was recorded at Power Station Studio in New York at a quick pace. Rodgers enlisted the help of his former Chic band mates Bernard Edwards, who was the bassist, and Tony Thompson, who played drums; they appeared on several tracks of the album. Rodgers decided to be the guitarist, when Edwards requested him to do so, in exchange of their help. Jason Corsaro, the record's audio engineer, persuaded Rodgers to use digital recording, a new technique introduced at that time. The cover sleeve and images were shot by Steven Meisel. Madonna wanted the album title and the cover image to make provocative link between her own religious name Madonna, as the Roman Catholic title for Jesus' mother Mary, and the Christian concept of the virgin birth.

While not a substantial musical departure from Madonna's first album, she felt that the material from Like a Virgin was stronger. Along with Rodgers, Madonna also collaborated with her former boyfriend Steve Bray, who co-wrote many songs on the album. Consisting of dance-pop oriented music, the songs also incorporated new wave. After its release, Like a Virgin received mixed reviews from the critics, but was a commercial success. It became Madonna's first number one album on the Billboard 200, while reaching the top of the charts in Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain and the United Kingdom. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified it diamond for shipment of ten million copies across the United States. Worldwide it has sold 21 million copies, becoming one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Five singles were released from the album, with "Like a Virgin", "Material Girl" and "Into the Groove" becoming worldwide hits. To promote the album, Madonna embarked on The Virgin Tour, which had shows in cities of North America only. Like a Virgin has attained significance as a cultural artifact of the 1980s. Madonna proved that she was not a one-hit wonder and was able to provide herself with a permanent footing in the music world. Her songs became a lightning rod for both criticism by conservatives and imitation by the younger female population, especially "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin". According to author J. Randy Taraborrelli, "Every important artist has at least one album in his or her career whose critical and commercial success becomes the artist's magic moment; for Madonna, Like a Virgin was just such a defining moment".
    1. "Material Girl" Peter Brown, Robert Rans 4:01
    2. "Angel" Madonna, Bray 3:56
    3. "Like a Virgin" Tom Kelly, Billy Steinberg 3:38
    4. "Over and Over" Madonna, Bray 4:12
    5. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" Miles Gregory 4:47
    6. "Dress You Up" Andrea LaRusso, Peggy Stanziale 4:01
    7. "Shoo-Bee-Doo" Madonna 5:16
    8. "Pretender" Madonna, Bray 4:30
    9. "Stay" Madonna, Bray 4:07

Legend
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

by » Mon June 20th, 2016, 14:18

What do you think about this album? For me it's hard to judge it because i know that i would've loved to death if i lived during this era, but knowing what came after this i can't appreciate it as much as it deserves.

I LOVE listening it as part of her discography, and i don't care if it's not her best album it's still very fun and album that made her global phenomenon. Era as whole was probably bigger than album itself because 2 big #1 hits were actually not from the album (Crazy for you and Into the groove)

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

by » Mon June 20th, 2016, 16:30

Into the Groove was included on the 1985 pressing of the record (track six), but it was removed from the re-release and later editions. It was a baffling decision and I'm not sure why.

There are some songs that I like on the album -- notably Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Love Don't Live Here Anymore (I prefer the remix from Something to Remember as well as the Soulpower reworking used in the video though), and easily the record's highlight Dress You Up -- but I never listen to it because as a whole record I find it extremely disposable: full of childish, forgettable pop songs that did not improve on her very strong debut nor does it have some of the maturity in songwriting that Madonna started to develop with True Blue and master with Like a Prayer. It certainly doesn't have the artistry and creativity of her 90s and 00s work and as a collective body of work is more of a failure than a success. Literally a career low; easily her worst album.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon June 20th, 2016, 23:20

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshie
    Into the Groove was included on the 1985 pressing of the record (track six), but it was removed from the re-release and later editions. It was a baffling decision and I'm not sure why.

There are some songs that I like on the album -- notably Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Love Don't Live Here Anymore (I prefer the remix from Something to Remember as well as the Soulpower reworking used in the video though), and easily the record's highlight Dress You Up -- but I never listen to it because as a whole record I find it extremely disposable: full of childish, forgettable pop songs that did not improve on her very strong debut nor does it have some of the maturity in songwriting that Madonna started to develop with True Blue and master with Like a Prayer. It certainly doesn't have the artistry and creativity of her 90s and 00s work and as a collective body of work is more of a failure than a success. Literally a career low; easily her worst album.
    I somewhat agree. I feel like it was a commercial masterpiece, easily, and incredibly iconic and it definitely played its part in creating Madonna but its not an amazing creative work, especially comparing it in retrospect. Nearly all the songs are classics and rightfully so. Theyre all catchy and brilliant (as far as knowing what would catch on.) Its iconic but its a weak album overall (though not as bad as some of her post-Confessions stuff)

But with all that said, if you don't have this album or haven't heard this album... then youre weird.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 01:34

Some classic/iconic songs here, but I would say it's probably her most lightweight album until Hard Candy.

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 02:03

Iconic album, this is the album that really introduced her and became vital in cementing her legacy.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 09:27

Never really cared for this album TBH, I only find it better than MDNA in her catalogue but that doesn't say much
    I understand the importance of it in transforming Madonna into superstar, but it's quite shallow record compared to what she did afterwards.
    "Dress You Up" is my favorite

Superstar
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 10:21

It's definitely an important album (the most important?) in her discography but also one of my least favorite albums.

However it also includes some of my alltime favorite songs:
    Angel (so underrated, I hope she brings it back to the stage someday)
    Material Girl
    Dress You Up
    Into The Groove

and Stay is one of her finest non-singles.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 11:42

Very overrated album. Apart from the singles, album tracks are very disposable.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 13:00

One of her worst albums that has aged terribly. The singles are memorable and quite good but the rest is just pure filler. Crap follow up to her debut, which was a million miles better and more enjoyable in every aspect.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Tue June 21st, 2016, 16:46

This album was important for her to bridge the gap from being a simple dance artist to having memorable hits and this album solidified that.
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Thu June 23rd, 2016, 13:10

I prefer her debut album. Dress You Up brings back some happy memories.

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Thu June 23rd, 2016, 22:47

Without this, there'd be no Madonna. It's as simple as that.
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

by » Sat June 25th, 2016, 18:19

I like the album
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Wed June 29th, 2016, 20:33

My ranking for this album :
    1. "Dress You Up"
    2. "Shoo-Bee-Doo"
    3. "Angel"
    4. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"
    5. "Stay" Madonna,
    6. "Like a Virgin"
    7. "Material Girl"
    8. "Over and Over"
    9. "Pretender"

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Fri July 1st, 2016, 00:20

Mine are:

1. "Dress You Up"
    2. "Like A Virgin"
    3. "Angel"
    4. "Stay"
    5. "Material Girl"
    6. "Shoo-Bee-Doo"
    7. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"
    8. "Pretender"
    9. "Over And Over"

"Into The Groove" and "Gambler" are both better than the tracks on here IMO.
    Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri July 1st, 2016, 12:29

here's mine

Love Don't Live here anymore
    Like a Virgin
    Into the groove
    Material Girl
    Angel
    Dress you up
    Over and over
    Stay
    Shoo-bee-doo
    Pretender
    “Madonna fans are the worst !!”

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by » Fri July 1st, 2016, 22:47

1. Material Girl
    2. Like a Virgin
    3. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    4. Dress You Up
    5. Stay
    6. Over and Over
    7. Shoo-Bee-Doo
    8. Angel
    9. Pretender

I'll never understand why she wanted Angel as a single. It's a nice little song but very weak in comparison to her other singles at the time.
    M08T10

Superstar
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Sat July 2nd, 2016, 23:27

1. Dress You Up
    2. Angel
    3. Pretender
    4. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    5. Like a Virgin
    6. Stay
    7. Shoo-Bee-Doo
    8. Over and Over
    9. Material Girl (one of the worst songs she's ever recorded)
    Haven't been early since '88

Superstar
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

by » Sun July 3rd, 2016, 10:11

1. Material Girl
    2. Angel
    3. Dress You Up
    4. Stay
    5. Over And Over
    6. Like A Virgin
    7. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    8. Pretender
    9. Shoo-Bee-Doo

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Tue September 3rd, 2019, 01:04

The title track is Vadge’s only top 10 on the black chart.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

by » Tue September 3rd, 2019, 01:32

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    The title track is Vadge’s only top 10 on the black chart.
    I knew she wouldn't have many songs on the top 10 black chart, though it is a surprise that LAV is the one. I'd thought it would have been "Borderline" maybe "Secret" or even "Take a Bow," given Babyface's hot streak at the time. Learn something new everyday
    The sands of time fade into dark
    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
    A message to madness
    Feel music that's realness

Superstar
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 19:54

My ranking:

1. Like A Virgin
    2. Dress You Up
    3. Material Girl
    4. Angel
    5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    6. Stay
    7. Pretender
    8. Over And Over
    9. Shoo-Bee-Doo
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 20:30

It's hard to rank them. But it's clear that Shoo-Bee-Doo is the only song I never really listen to.

1. Dress You Up
    2. Like A Virgin
    3. Angel
    4. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    5. Pretender
    6. Material Girl
    7. Over And Over
    8. Stay
    9. Shoo-Bee-Doo
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?