User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Deconstructing Leo 2.0 | 2018 | Dance&Electronic Nominees!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FOLLOW 2018 UKmixPARADE Choice Awards @ General Music Discussion
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    CHECK The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHECK The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 28-09-18, 23:25

Ace of Base
    Aimee Mann
    Common
    Counting Crows
    Jamiroquai
    Laura Pausini
    Radiohead
    Suede
    The Cranberries
    Toni Braxton

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-10-18, 18:04

10. Dr Alban - It's My Life
    Those initial horns are classic enough, and the song is a 90s hymn.

9. Pet Shop Boys - Go West
    8. Whitney Houston - I'm Every Woman
    7. Madonna - Fever
    6. Janet Jackson - If

This batch of big names released hot dance tracks in 1993. PSB is maybe the less accomplished of them all, and then the other three are equally good for me, with Janet's If having a small benefit as the other two are covers.

5. S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. - It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day
    I discovered this while revisiting songs for this thread, funny that this belongs to such a high profile album but still went unnoticed for me for so long. Then this participated in some survivors and I learnt to really appreciate it.

4. Jamiroquai - Too Young to Die
    Amazing song, Jamiroquai was quite popular back then. My brother and some frineds were already digging this.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Haddaway - What Is Love
    A classic.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Ace of Base - All That She Wants
    Right after Roxette's worldwide success, AceOfBase seemed like the next sweden band to follow. This song was everywhere and I still have fond memories of that summer when this was everywhere.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Björk - Human Behaviour
    By far the winner of them all here. Such a hypnotic sound and lyrics, Björk captivated my soul right from the start. Deserving winner.

6. Saint Etienne - So Tough
    The band's second album. A good effort

5. New Order - Republic
    A very solid start of the album with three good tracks: Regret, World and Ruined in a Day. Their sixth album and the last one before their 90s hiatus.

4. Pet Shop Boys - Very
    After 1991 Behaviour, which was also nominated and also reached 4th place, PSB released a more pop loose album that worked cohesively with many good tracks such as Can You Forgive Her?I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing, A Different Point of View, One and One Make Five and Go West.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
    Jamiroquai debut album, #1 UK set, presented a fresh and funky sound that highlighted them from the rest. When You gonna Learn, Too Young To Die, Hooked Up, Emergency on Planet Earth, Blow Your Mind and Didgin' Out

2. SILVER MEDAL: Ace of Base - Happy Nation
    Kind of a guilty plaesure to put this at number 2 above Jamiroquai. Megahits All That She Wants, Don't Turn Around, The Sign, Happy Nation and Wheel of Fortune push this album up.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Björk - Debut
    Bjork opened the doors and shared with the world this outstanding album. The whole album is a musical experience, but I'll highlight: Human Behaviour, Crying, Venus as a Boy, Big Time Sensuality, One Day, Come To Me, Violently Happy and the bonus track Play Dead.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 28-10-18, 23:56

10. Ricky Martin - Me Amarás
    Ricky was slowly catching attention in 1993. He started just as one more singer from a big batch of male artists releasing unpretentious music, but eventually evolved and became a great performer. Me Amaras was a very important step in his career and I find it simple but cute.

9. Fabiana Cantilo - Pasaje Hasta Ahí
    8. Soda Stereo - Primavera 0
    7. Divididos - ¿Qué Ves?
    6. Los Rodríguez - Sin Documentos
    This group of argentinian's rockstars were extremely popular back then and each song holds a special place in my memory.

5. Luis Miguel - Suave
    Lusi Miguel was a massive artist already, but the Romance era pushed him to stratospheric levels. This pop record consolidated him as the latin megastar of the decade. Suave is a very summery and carefree track that was omnipresent during those days.

4. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Matador
    Cadillacs released their signature song in 1993. Matador conquered the radio and it was impossible not to fall for those drums. Excellent track from a very powerful band.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Laura Pausini - La Solitudine
    Laura shyly erupted into the music scene winning the San Remo festival with this beautiful song. It was eventually released in spanish and I couldn't help but to love it.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Maná - Vivir Sin Aire
    My fav Mana song ever, this magnificent ballad made them megastars in Argentina.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
    Unfortunately for Mana, Gloria released this gem that same year. It was Gloria at her peak, and singing cuban-influenced songs in a very significant album of her career. A perfect song.

6. Soda Stereo - Dynamo
    Quite an experimental record for the argentinian band, with highlights: Secuencia Inicial, Toma La Ruta, En Remolinos, Primavera 0, Camaleón, Claroscuro and Fue.

5. Divididos - La Era De La Boludez
    A very powerful release by this ex-Sumo band. Salir A Asustar, Ortega y Gases, Que Ves, Dame Un Limon and Huelga de Amores are equally good.

4. Laura Pausini - Laura Pausini
    La solitudine is not the only good track here: Non Ce, Mi Rubi L'anima, Dove Sei and Baci Che Si Rubano.

3. Maná - ¿Dónde Jugarán Los Niños?
    A perfect set of songs, all together in this trascendental album: Oye Mi Amor, Cachito, Vivir Sin Aire and Donde Jugaran Los Niños.

2. Luis Miguel - Aries
    Suave, Ayer, Que Nivel de Mujer and the ballad of them all: Hasta Que Me Olvides. So good!

1. Gold Medal: Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
    Beautiful set of sogns, flavored with emotions: Con Los Años Que Me Quedan, Mi Tierra, Ayer, Mi Buen Amor, Si Señor and Montuno are amazing highlights.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 01-11-18, 00:32

10. Depeche Mode - I Feel You
    Following 1990's great performance in the Dance categories (two gold medals, and then silver medal in both AOTY and SOTY), Depeche Mode released this alt-dance track. A song that empowers your body to move.

9. The Smashing Pumpkins - Today
    In a couple of years TSP wil release two amazing albums. Siamese Dreams, with Today, were great appetizers. I discovered them in 1995 and fell in love with their style so this revisiting put them here quite surprisingly.

8. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up?
    Inescapable track. My brother made a cassette of 60 mins with this song on repeat the whole time, and I loved that cassette.

7. R.E.M. - Man on the Moon
    REM were Record of the Year recipients two years before, and Automatic... was a perfect platform to jump into stratosferic proportions. Losing My religion made them big rock stars and this one consolidated their status.

6. David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
    The bass... superb effort from the Duke.

5. Nirvana - All Apologies
    Probably my fav Nirvana song. Probably because Sienad covered it. For sure, a great track.

4. Blind Melon - No Rain
    Classic 90s. Love this track, the bee girl and being a teenager with this music on the radio.

3. BRONZE MEDAL_: Radiohead - Creep
    I found it hard not to give this one Gold Medal. My big brother bought this album but I think I gave this more spins than him. Radiohead enter though the big door.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
    I always find this song and video captivating.

1. GOLD MEDAL: The Cranberries - Linger
    Maybe I am biased because Dolores passed away, but this intro is iconic. Cranberries first two eras were so massive everywhere! The violins, her voice, I got the chance to see her live in Buenos Aires when she gave a concert during her solo tour. She had the voice of an angel.

6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Many great tracks preluding some great eras ahead. Today, Rocket, Disarm, Mayonaise and Spaceboy are my favs.

5. David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
    A good step in his career. Probably not a consensus opinion. The Wedding, Black Tie..., Jump They Say, Miraclo Goodnight, Dont Let Me Down And Down, The Wedding song.

4. PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
    It was not an album I would instantly dig and love, but her voice and lyrics and presence always got my attention. Eventually I fell in love, deep love, with her and this.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Nirvana - In Utero
    Just to imagine the potential albums thay could have released. thay could have vanished or they could have conquered the world, and based on this powerful set of songs I feel it was closer to the second.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Radiohead - Pablo Honey
    You, Creep, Stop Whispering, Thinking About You, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Ripcord. Great debut album.

1. GOLD MEDAL: R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
    In general, I cannot go through a REM album from start to finish, this one has a very consistent flow that even with some flaws sounds well crafted and good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 01-11-18, 00:46

I have SO much to listen to and catch up on here! Glad to see PJ nominated, love Rid of Me, really gritty album.

REM, Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, Jamiroquai, Saint Etienne, Neneh Cherry, Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson are great names on this page. Need to dive into some of the genre lists, I've been intending to try Emmylou Harris for quite some time but haven't got to it yet!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-11-18, 19:12

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrazy
    I have SO much to listen to and catch up on here! Glad to see PJ nominated, love Rid of Me, really gritty album.

REM, Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, Jamiroquai, Saint Etienne, Neneh Cherry, Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson are great names on this page. Need to dive into some of the genre lists, I've been intending to try Emmylou Harris for quite some time but haven't got to it yet!
    Cool to see you around Bill! Early 90s had many cool names. Emmylou is someone I also need to dive into more, but my fav is A Love That Will Never Grow Old. Beautiful.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 13:16

10. Run D.M.C. feat. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Down with the King
    9. Common - Take It EZ
    8. MC Lyte - Ruffneck
    This genre evolved a lot imo, and this three songs capture the sound of those years and may sound dated today. Common is someone that will have more noms in the upcoming years.

7. Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
    Quite an interesting sound, even when they seem like the New Kids of Rap. Very cool sample and outcome.

6. Ice-T - I Ain't New Ta This
    5. Ice Cube - Wicked
    Both Ice-X keep ruling in this early 90s recap! But slowly they efforts lose strength.

4. 2Pac - I Get Around
    2Pac potential was big. In 92 he got 3 bronze medals, and now he is up again for some recognition. This makes you dance around.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Neneh Cherry - Money Love
    Neneh was a perfect blend for Hip-Hop. My brother listened to a lot of hip-hop. I was in my initial teens and more into pop. But revisiting this makes me remember those saturday afternoons at home with a lot of mixture sounds around the house. My bro's bedroom was next to the kitchen so I would go to pick a glass of water and feeling intrigued by this sounds coming from there. He was also into Heavy Metal, and no, those sounds never clicked with me, I would run out of the kitchen fast if that was what he was checking

2. SILVER MEDAL: Guru - Trust Me
    Guru was a fantastic discovery while checking 93s releases. The album is very strong, and this song may get nominated because it was a single but the truth is that the album works as a whole.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain
    AMAZING song. This band was my brother's fav and I must admit that, checking this albums, I understood why.

6. Ice Cube - The Predator
    I like the tension and energy Ice Cube puts in these inital albums. Checking the album I learnt this was rleased in a tumultous time in Los Angeles and you can picture the tension in almost every song, with When Will They Shoot?, Wicked, Now I Gotta Wet' Cha and almost all songs sounding great.

5. Common - Can I Borrow a Dollar?
    Common got my attention years later, so checking this and finding this first album was interesting. It is not massive but a very good first album from a rapper that delivers a very cool rapping style.

4. Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
    This is the sophomore album, following the Gold Medalist Cypress hill from 1991, so I may put this at #4 but that does not mean I don't like it a lot. The initail three songs, I Wanna Get High + I Ain't Goin' Out Like That + Insane are a flawless trilogy.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: 2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
    another sophomore album to get nominated, and another one packed with social and political views. A special highlight is the collaboration with Ice Cube and Ice T. Insane.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Neneh Cherry - Homebrew
    Another sophomore effort! So 93 was the year of second albums... A very rich sound and she was fresh.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Guru - Guru's Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1
    As I already said, this album was a very nice suprise. Checking his next albums, it seems things got a little derailed, with a record in 95 and then the rest mid 2000s. But based on this set I am very optimisitc! Almost all songs are highlights, so check it if you can!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 13:22

I'll try to wrap 1993 up by next week before the UKMIX shutdown and start 2018 once the new site kicks off. It will be strange to see, in the middle of so many 2018 recaps, a 1993 list but well, I slept on this for many months...

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 14:39

10. Jade - Don't Walk Away
    9. Joe - I'm in Luv
    Two nice 90s tunes that don't bring nothing new to the scene but that are effective in their intention to make us move.

8. Oleta Adams - I Just Had to Hear Your Voice
    Smooth sound and a voice that has depth. A nice track.

7. Bell Biv DeVoe - Something in Your Eyes
    6. SWV - Weak
    Two r&b bands bringing some interesting choices. Comparing to Jade or Joe, this time I think the end produt is much more interesting and even survives a little bit the pass of time. Weak is lovely.

5. Gabrielle - Dreams
    Overused in Survivors, the song is very good and catchy.

4. Zhane - Hey Mr. D.J.
    Amongst all the R&B bands, this one really got my attention. I didn't know them before checking this, so it was a fresh discovery for me.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Babyface - For the Cool in You
    Babyface knew how to do it in the 90s. His legacy is strong, both in his work with others as with his own material, such as this gem.

2. SILVER MEDAL; Toni Braxton - Breathe Again
    A very solid start for Toni. One of the most sensual voices around, this captivating tune deserves medals for sure.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
    Toni had it in the bag but then this couldn't be anything but Gold... The video is so cool and relaxed, the rhythm flows and conquers any body in the house. And is that Jennifer Lopez in the video??? Wow, never knew that. Excellent song, janet at one of her peaks, as she had more!

6. SWV - It's About Time
    The album opens with Anything, and some water drops in the music with the voices kinda like in the background. Interesting. Then you ran across some very nice but typical 90s jams until Weak appears and makes you fall in love. You're Always On My Mind is another highlight, a little more reminiscent of 95-96 tunes imo. Second half of the album is solid but no big surprises.

5. Joe - Everything
    The One For Me is so funky, a great album opener! I'm In Luv follows and then some other highlights: It's Alright (ooohh uuu oohhh, love that background), If Loving You Is Wrong, Get A Little Closer and Baby Don't Stop. A good album from that era, does not trascent the test of time as Janet's but it is a cool reflection of those times.

4. Oleta Adams - Evolution
    A deep voice that effortlessly touches your soul. My Heart Don't Lie, Hold Me For A While, Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight, and every song is sweet and nice. As a whole, the album sounds a little monotonous but many highlights push the thing up.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Babyface - For the Cool in You
    Apart from the title song that also got a medal this year and opens the album, other highlights include Lady Lady, Never Keeping Secrets, Rock Bottom and When Can I see You. Solid R&B selection of songs.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Toni Braxton - Toni Braxton
    Toni had a strong debut album and many chances to swap this awards but janet was here to stop her. Anyway, a debut album that imo should stand as one of the best opening albums of any career. Another Sad Love Song, Breathe Again, Seven Whole Days, Candlelight. Love Shoulda Brought You Home, I Belong To You and You Mean The World To Me are strong highlights.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Janet Jackson - janet.
    That full stop after janet is very strong and makes a simple album title into a perfect one. Hard to highlight specific songs as the set is extremely strong. janet knows how to touch soft places and at the same time deliver cool uptempos as If.[/size]

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 14:42

You didn’t know j lo was Janet’s back up dancer?

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 14:47

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    You didn’t know j lo was Janet’s back up dancer?
    No And I must say I was rechecking the video yesterday night to make sure of that! Are they still frineds now? Because in the video they all seem so cool with each other, but of course that is acting, but maybe thay were really close in real life? for sure you'll know

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 14:51

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this earlier. Janet hasn’t spoken much about J Lo but there’s definitely mutual respect between them and Jen has never stopped stanning for Jan

Jen quit shortly after landing the job because she was offered a part on a TV show

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-01-19, 01:45

10. George Strait - Easy Come, Easy Go
    9. Toby Keith - Should've Been A Cowboy
    8. Sawyer Brown - Thank God For You
    Three very plain country music from 93 starts this little countdown. Three good songs, fun, carefree, as country should be.

7. Brooks & Dunn - She Used To Be Mine
    Following their 1991 nom, B&D return with this classic sound.

6. Emmylou Harris - High Powered Love
    Emmylou has a haunting name and a hounting voice, the one that envolved you whenever it is around. Here she delivers a cool uptempo.

5. Alabama - Reckless
    4. Alan Jackson - She's Got the Rhythm (And I Got the Blues)
    Alabama delivers a great track, fun, makes you dance and sing out loud "Let's roll the windows down, turn the radio up, Let the wind blow through our hair, Love is reckless, Let's get reckless tonight"! And Alan Jackson is nominated once again after 1 year absent. He already won 1 Country Song and 1 Country Album award. His style is so simple but yet so catchy.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Reba McEntire with Vince Gill - The Heart Won't Lie
    So cheesy that I love it. Vince singing style is a little uncomfortable but Reba's is great! And the video is cool.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Martina McBride - My Baby Loves Me
    Secodn year in a row with a finalist from Martina, and this time manage to get a medal. I like her a lot, she flows.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Willie Nelson with Bonnie Rait - Getting Over You
    Willie & Bonnie bend so good and flawlessly that this cannot be anything but a gold medal. Bonnie won in 1991 Pop Song with the amazing I Can't Make You Love Me so this is her second gold medal.

6. George Strait - Easy Come, Easy Go
    George is a powerful name in the Country world, based on consistency and pure country vibes. This is the second year in a row with Song & Album finalists from him, but his strengths also work against him as no big standouts are find for me in his album. Great songs but a little plain in the end. Don't mistake me, he is a deserving finalist!

5. Toby Keith - Toby Keith
    Kind of a similar effect than George: effective country coming from the roots of toby, in his case less polished and whitewashed. We will see more Toby in the future.

4. Brooks & Dunn - Hard Workin' Man
    The album cover is SOOOOO bad lol. That shirt is scary. Har Workin' Man is hot and fun and then other highlights are She Used To Be Mine, Rock My World and That Ain't No Way To Go.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Willie Nelson - Across the Borderline
    Willie is so prolific it is scary! Apart form the beautiful song with Bonnie, other highlights are Don't Give Up, Heartland and What Was It You Wanted.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Emmylou Harris - Cowgirl's Prayer
    So a girl almost made it! I think this marked Ammylou's almost last country effort, but delivered some gems: A Ways To Go, The Light, Crescent City, Lovin' You Again, Thanks To You and I Hear A Call.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Alan Jackson - A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love)
    Second Country Album winner for Alan! Chattahoochee, She's Got The Rhythm, Tonight I Climbed The wall, Who Says You Can't Have It All, tropical Depression and Mercury Blues.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 00:21

10. Paul McCartney - Hope of Deliverance
    9. Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
    8. Duran Duran - Ordinary World
    A very competitive year as this three amazing songs end up so low. Lenny is coming from a massive era as his 1991 hit It Ain't Over 'til It's Over won this award and ended up Silver medal in Record of The Year. This time the song is a classic too but faces tough competition.
    The other two are great songs but softer than the ones ranked higher imo.

7. Sting - If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
    6. Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately
    Fun fact: I have been hosting some survivors lately for Sting, Rod and Duran Duran, all nominated this year, and will kick off Paul McCartney soon. And also Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and Sheryl Crow! So I am a 90s freek definetly.
    These two songs are great, classics.

5. Mick Jagger - Sweet Thing
    4. Aerosmith - Livin' On The Edge
    I really like RollingStones/MickJagger from the 90s, so it is no surprise that Sweet Thing ends up in this upper half. Livin' is among my fav Aerosmith songs.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith
    My first couple of CDs were Blaze of Glory and Roxette's Joyride. Bon Jovi was part of my musical life since the very beginning, first because my brother had slippery and Farenheit and then because I religiously bought all of their albums. This song has a very good intro.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Sheryl Crow - Run Baby Run
    My late brother bought Music Club but it was me who started to spin it constantly at home so eventually he gave it to me. So I'll always cherish that CD as a musical bond that will forever link me to him. This song was an instant fav. I was reading Aldous Huxley back then so it always got my atention that initial line.

1. GOLD MEDAL: R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
    As much as I try to hate this song, I find it exquisite and touching and perfect. REM were having some amazing years back then!

6. Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Title track opens the album and sets the bar high! Then Believe follows and things seems to go higher and higher. Heaven Help is one of my favs ofrom him, but then the album drops a little, with Sugar being a highlights but not many more.

5. Aerosmith - Get a Grip
    No, this is not a Greatest Hits, but it def looks like one! Eat The Rich, Get A Grip, Edge, Cryin', Crazy and Amazing... wow, great album. Feel bad I only put this as #5!

4. Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith
    Kind of a bridge album between their rocker sound and their AC style imo. I Believe, Keep The Faith, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, In These Arms, Bed of roses, Dry County and Blame It On The Love of R&R are all amazing.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am
    Maybe with less highglights, but amazingly consisten album. Come To My Window is classic though, the rest are strong.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Mick Jagger - Wandering Spirit
    Sweet Thing is so good that lifts any album up. And this album is already up! Rolling Stones7Mick Jagger deserve more praise imo! Out of Focus, Don't Tear Me Up, Put Me in the Trash, Use Me (feat. Lenny Kravitz) (ok, but a great duet), Evening Gown (mid tempo songs that he master so good) and Hang On to Me Tonight.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club
    Ok, based on my previous lines I just connect with this album in a way no other could, so this deserves GOld Medal. And also, becuase this is AMAZING! Run Baby Run, Las Vegas, Strong Enough (love the version with Dixie Chicks), Cry Anymore, No One Said... and the beautiful I Shall Believe.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-01-19, 00:39

10. UB40 - (I Can't Help) Falling in Love With You
    9. Boy George - The Crying Game
    8. Cyndi Lauper - Who Let In the Rain
    Great pop songs in a very competitive year for me. UB40 wins some points becuase I was obsessed with Sharon Stone back then, but loses some for being little plain. Boy George is also a soundtrack song, and even when I enjoy the song it fails to completely win me over. Cyndi delivers a nice ballad that occupies a cool place.

7. Michael Jackson - Give In To Me
    6. U2 - Lemon
    Jackson comes from a good 1992 that saw him getting a Silver Medal, but this year with Janet we had enough Jacksons with medals. U2 also comes from a very succesful year with Achting Baby, 1992's Album of the Year.

5. Sade - No Ordinary Love
    4. Sting - Fields Of Gold
    Two outstanding songs, classics, both ballads that express soft emotions. But this was the year of the divas...

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Mariah Carey - Dreamlover
    This is the fourth year in a row that Mariah gets nominated here, bt only the first medal in this category! Dremalover is a fresh summer song with a cool video that is effective based on its simplicity. Music Box was my second Mariah album, the one that made me a fan but not still a lamb. I played it to death but then I kinda moved on. Once I became a lamb I refell in love with its lovely ballads.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Madonna - Erotica
    One more medal for Madonna, but the elusive Golden one is missing! Erotica marked a before and after with my relationship with Madge. I had True Blue and Collection already, but I was still in a Roxette era in my life. So one day we went to a record store and my father asked each of us (me and my 2 brothers) to pick a cd. I chose Erotica, and ot be honest, I was shocked and confused, because imo he picture in the back of the cd was her sucking some d... and I was hating that because I relaly wanted the album but I didn't want TAHT picture there. And my mother tried to convince me not to buy it becasue she was a bad influence and stuff like that and all I was thinking was "please don't see the picture" because that would have ginven her a kind of right reason to leave it. End of the case was that I bought it and once I discovered it and saw a new pop world i finally moved out from Roxette and bought all Madonna's discography and she remained big in my life for some years.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
    Ok, this song is so overused in Survivors here that was about to put it at #10... but then clicked play again and gosh this is amazing. Her voice, her beauty, and it all seems so simple! The movie was great, I went with my brother and when we left the cinmea I asked him to lend me some money because i NEEDED that album. She is missed.

6. Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album
    The Whitney's songs are amazing, and I must admit the rest are good too, but I never understood why she couldn't record 3-4 more songs and make a complete album, and then the other songs are different so if I was in the mood for a Whitney album I would stop at #6... Mess. But the album is good!

5. Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
    Ok, revisiting this makes you understand just how big he was back in early 90s, at least in latam. Faith In You, Fields, too Good For Me, Seven Days and the touching Shape of My Heart.

4. Sade - Love Deluxe
    7 great songs one after the other lifts this album up, but then sometimes I find it a little slow... Ordinary Love shines bright.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: U2 - Zooropa
    I feel I was kind of harsh witht his album because it followed Achtung Baby, because I find it a very interesting set of songs. Zooropa is a great entrance, but then I don't get why it lasts so long to start! babyface, Numb, Lemon, Stay, Crashed Cars, Some Days are... and The Wanderer. A+

2. SILVER MEDAL: Madonna - Erotica
    It took me soooo long to decide which was going to be #1! Both Madonna and Mariah were still lacking a Gold Medal in the music fields (Mariah won Best New Artist) so I wanted to award them both! Erotica is hot and powerful, with really big songs: Erotica, ByeByeBaby, Deeper, Bad Girl, Rain, Why's It So Hard and In This Life. But then has some osngs that I go from loving to hating: Words, Thief of Hearts... Silver MEdal but this can be considered a shared award...

1. GOLD MEDAL: Mariah Carey - Music Box
    But Mariah delivered a perfect set of songs for me. Don't care if they are cheesy, if their are too sweet. I love sweet. All great songs and All I Ever Wanted is very important for me: 1) it was my all time fav from her for a long period of time; 2) I fell in love deeply with my wife when I was in high school and this song for some reason reminded me of her then and now; 3) when many years later me and my wife decided to give it a try togehter I prepared a whole album of music hat meant a lot to both of us and AIEW was there. So this goes to Mimi.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » 17-01-19, 00:46

Was Erotica released in 1992 though?

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-01-19, 00:52

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Was Erotica released in 1992 though?
    you scared me...

yes, october 20th 1992, and this recaps go october-september

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-01-19, 00:58

So here are the nominees for the two biggest awards of the year 1993:

Björk - Human Behaviour
    Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
    The Cranberries - Linger
    Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain
    Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
    Willie Nelson with Bonnie Rait - Getting Over You
    R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
    Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Björk - Debut
    Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
    R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
    Guru - Guru's Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1
    Janet Jackson - janet.
    Alan Jackson - A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love)
    Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club
    Mariah Carey - Music Box

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-01-19, 09:01

my own 1993 highlights:
    Nogu Svelo! - Haru Mamburu - russian alternative band's biggest hit in imaginary language
    Curve - Missing Link - Garbage took Curve's schtick and ran away with it
    Clawfinger - Warfair - taking rap metal to a new, more aggressive level
    Bang Bang Machine - Geek Love - John Peel's highlight and rightfully so
    Hunters And Collectors - Holy Grail - for some reason this song is considered to be legendary in Australia
    Gang - Kowalsky - some italian folk music
    Headless Chickens - Juice - this NZ electronic/indie/alternative band was very successful during the first part of the 90s
    Waffles are checked cookies