User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 351 to 366 of 366

Thread: The Lion King (2019)

  1. #351
    KEY9481's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    11 Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,242
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

  2. #352
    Hugo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    24 Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    40,824
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

  3. #353
    GetBack's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jun 2010
    Location
    Netflix
    Posts
    32,032
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 00:16

    I did not expect this to get ripped apart by critics everywhere, but they are on point with the criticism, some elements lost the soul and heart of the original cartoon version. Disney will not lose sleep over this cash grab movie since the Shot-for-shot fan service is what's making people watch it more than anything else.

    It's basically like remaking Titanic, the original cast and the original soundtrack will never be topped, the whole accommodation of A-list black artists in an attempt to celebrate African culture did not work to hype the film (the stars are mostly privileged American/British celebrities anyway, its not like they got voice actors from Africa to portray an accurate representation of the culture), there's just no emotion in their all voices, how did they even think they can top Jeremy Irons and Matthew Broderick? Even Chiwetel did not sing the "Be Prepared" iconic song, it was obvious that they used their star power and high profile names to represent the characters since they had to replace the song with a weird chant of some sort.

    Despite Aladdin being panned by the critics, it took a risk in challenging the original story by incorporating new elements to it by creating chemistry and comic timing between the characters, adding new songs for some characters and not reworking old iconic songs to accommodate the limitation of the actor voicing the character who had to sing it. It's crazy how James Earl Jones was even paid to say the exact same lines from the original, it goes to show how Jon Favreau had zero creative juice in pulling off a fresh re-telling of this Disney classic.
    Last edited by GetBack; Yesterday at 00:18.

  4. #354
    Goldmoney's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2009
    Location
    aRatchet’s Hole
    Posts
    21,656
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 00:27

    I can’t believe they actually used modern day ratchet phrases in this. (Do You, I Can’t )
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

  5. #355
    Goldmoney's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2009
    Location
    aRatchet’s Hole
    Posts
    21,656
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 00:50

    Spoiler!

    Other than that, this is a very solid remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

  6. #356
    IVyoncé's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    18 May 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    25,706
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 07:08

    Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    I did not expect this to get ripped apart by critics everywhere, but they are on point with the criticism, some elements lost the soul and heart of the original cartoon version. Disney will not lose sleep over this cash grab movie since the Shot-for-shot fan service is what's making people watch it more than anything else.

    It's basically like remaking Titanic, the original cast and the original soundtrack will never be topped, the whole accommodation of A-list black artists in an attempt to celebrate African culture did not work to hype the film (the stars are mostly privileged American/British celebrities anyway, its not like they got voice actors from Africa to portray an accurate representation of the culture), there's just no emotion in their all voices, how did they even think they can top Jeremy Irons and Matthew Broderick? Even Chiwetel did not sing the "Be Prepared" iconic song, it was obvious that they used their star power and high profile names to represent the characters since they had to replace the song with a weird chant of some sort.

    Despite Aladdin being panned by the critics, it took a risk in challenging the original story by incorporating new elements to it by creating chemistry and comic timing between the characters, adding new songs for some characters and not reworking old iconic songs to accommodate the limitation of the actor voicing the character who had to sing it. It's crazy how James Earl Jones was even paid to say the exact same lines from the original, it goes to show how Jon Favreau had zero creative juice in pulling off a fresh re-telling of this Disney classic.
    It's a bit ironic how you put all the blame on 'A-list black artists', while we all know you are not fond of black people in general with in particular Beyoncé, but also the argument that they should have hired African voice actors is a bit lame. Especially since you praise the original so much and just look at the producers of the music and at some of the voice actors and your point makes even less sense. We all know your hidden agenda, but why even write down that crappy essay, when you could just say you don't like it and move on. Especially since all these remakes are made with popular or A-list stars to attract audience. I mean Will Smith isn't in Aladdin just because he was the only option they had. And Emma Watson didn't play in Beauty & The Beast just because she looks so much like Belle etc. etc. But whatever floats your boat dear.

  7. #357
    KEY9481's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    11 Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,242
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  8. #358
    BeeBoy's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    26 Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,002
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by KEY9481 View Post


    Oh.
    GetBack cancelled yet again.
    The only score that matters for cinema

  9. #359
    Ska8er's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 12:20

    I watched the film last night and I absolutely loved it. It's really a technological marvel and they really brought out the nostalgia.

    If I need to nitpick, there's only a few things I didn't like:
    - Be Prepared. I don't understand why they changed it so drastically considering the other songs are almost note-for-note remakes.
    - Can You Feel The Love Tonight being sang with full sunlight.
    - Spirit didn't fit where it was added. It was the only song in the movie to not be performed by a character or contribute to the story and it stand out like a sore thumb.

    Other than that, I thought it was brilliant. The voice actors did an a great job as well, with Seth Roger and Billy Eichner being obvious stand outs. I know people like to complain about Beyoncé's acting abilities, but she was a lot better here than in Epic. I was actually disappointed by Alfre Woodard's voice acting.

    I do NOT get the criticisms though. This having a worse critical reception than Aladdin is infuriating. The lions not showing emotion is exactly what they intended as it's meant to be a more realistic take on the movie. They really just chose to attack this film to comment on the remake trend.
    Last edited by Ska8er; Yesterday at 12:28.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

  10. #360
    Ska8er's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 16:09

    SATURDAY AM UPDATE: With an estimated $78.5 million on Friday, Disney's The Lion King is on its way to a three-day performance around $190 million if not higher. On top of that, audiences appear to be enjoying what they're seeing, giving the film an "A" CinemaScore in contrast to the mixed-to-negative reviews from film critics.

    Internationally, The Lion King opened in several additional markets, including UK, Spain and Mexico, taking the full total to 52 material markets to date with an international cume that now stands at $192 million. This overall gross includes $81 million in China, where the film opened last Friday.

    You can check out all of the Friday estimates right here and we'll be back tomorrow morning with a complete look at the weekend.

    FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Disney's The Lion King delivered $23 million from Thursday night previews yesterday beginning at 6PM. This is well above the $16.3 million Beauty and the Beast brought in from previews as well as the $18.5 million for Incredibles 2. The film also opened in a further 22 international markets yesterday, including Russia and Brazil, taking the full total to 42 material markets to date from which the current international cume now stands at $130.5 million heading into the weekend.

    We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

  11. #361
    KEY9481's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    11 Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,242
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Yesterday, 17:27

    'The Lion King' Breaks Disney Box Office Records With Massive $79 Million Friday
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...el-box-office/

  12. #362
    Goldmoney's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2009
    Location
    aRatchet’s Hole
    Posts
    21,656
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 04:23

    I noticed that after every line of King dialogue, I let out a "YASSSS King" in the theater, especially when she dragged Simba for filth and said "WHY WORRY?!?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

  13. #363
    Hejira's Avatar

    Join Date
    15 Jun 2019
    Location
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 11:03

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    I noticed that after every line of King dialogue, I let out a "YASSSS King" in the theater, especially when she dragged Simba for filth and said "WHY WORRY?!?!"
    The other people in the cinema must have enjoyed that...
    The sexiest thing is trust....

    https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1

  14. #364
    KEY9481's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    11 Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,242
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 17:01

    The 2019 Disney remake of the animated classic brought in $185 million across 4,756 theaters in North America in its first three days of release, Variety reported on Sunday (July 21).

    This marks the second-best opening of 2019, just behind Avengers: Endgame at $357 million. It's also the biggest opening ever a Disney movie ever.

    The movie was a big success overseas as well, pulling in $269 million across the globe. Along with China's opening numbers, the movie has raked in an impressive $531 million worldwide.

    http://www.justjared.com/2019/07/21/...bers-revealed/

  15. #365
    spiritboy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jan 2004
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    27,693
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 17:11

    What's Cinema Score? Is it the score of people who've seen the movie?
    Cha Cha Instructor

  16. #366
    Goldmoney's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2009
    Location
    aRatchet’s Hole
    Posts
    21,656
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 17:45

    It’s a great opening but I feel like it could have crossed 200 million had the reviews been on point.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •