Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 - BIRTHDAY WEEK :D

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 8th, 2019, 20:24

Chart Notes:

For the week ending July 13:

• Lizzo takes top honors this week, moving to #1 for the first time.
    • Whitney Houston has her 4th posthumous top ten. The previous three all went to #1 - should Lizzo be worried? Whitney has five #1s overall.
    • Ten years ago this week, Josh Gracin fell off my chart, and hadn't been back since... until this week when he has the chart's only debut.

Of the five songs below, which do you think ended up as the #2 song of 2014? Did you guys any of the #1s? You'd be wrong as it went Ingrid Michaelson, who spent 21 weeks in the 20, far more than any act, even though she only reached a #2 peak. But if I were to say which of these I still return to, it's by far, Problem, the song that made me love Ariana in the first place, and every now, I'll still give one-hit wonder Magic a listen.

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 00:15

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    and Lights got screwed. Forever bitter. I mean, who even knows the song Whistle anymore. There's a few instances I can think of where a song I loved stalled at #2. Sometimes, I am so bitter, I am pissed off forever at the artist who blocked it. Haha!
    So you're saying you wouldn't consider "Whistle" one of the classics of the 2010's? While I get the obvious blowjob metaphor, comparing one's penis to a whistle always struck me as less-than-flattering (the size, the shape...)

• After being semi-salty about "Truth Hurts" eclipsing "Juice" in the US, I've started to come around to the song lately. That "why are men great 'til they gotta be great" hook is pretty damn catchy (and so damn true).
    • "Cross Me" making it as far as your Top 2 is a fabulous surprise! What's Ed's last single to reach that high?
    • "Never Really Over" inside your Top 10 has me thrilled to bits too.
    • Damn, Josh really nails/sells that "Lucky Stars" chorus. If only the line about him getting on his knees ended somewhat differently...
    • Impressive feat for "Girls Chase Boys" back in 2014! I'm (unsurprisingly) glad to hear that "Problem" has held up even better for you, though.

Yet another chart that hurts so good, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 01:23

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post
    So you're saying you wouldn't consider "Whistle" one of the classics of the 2010's? While I get the obvious blowjob metaphor, comparing one's penis to a whistle always struck me as less-than-flattering (the size, the shape...)
    Plus whistles make kind of a high pitched sound, like what. I would say Whistle is one of the classic fails of the 2010s

• After being semi-salty about "Truth Hurts" eclipsing "Juice" in the US, I've started to come around to the song lately. That "why are men great 'til they gotta be great" hook is pretty damn catchy (and so damn true).
    Ugh that's the line that won me over! reality vs perception in one terrific line! Also the putting the sing in single line is pretty cute too.

• "Cross Me" making it as far as your Top 2 is a fabulous surprise! What's Ed's last single to reach that high?
    I almost put that in my chart facts - Ed Sheeran has only hit the chart three times, but he's not gone top two each time. Perfect also went to #2 anmd The Shape of You went to #1.

• Damn, Josh really nails/sells that "Lucky Stars" chorus. If only the line about him getting on his knees ended somewhat differently...
    Aww, I love that you enjoy the song. I'd given up on him every releasing music again, so it was nice to see the song come up in my Release Radar on spotify. As for the knees, yes, please. More so when he was in his early American Idol marine days haha.

• Impressive feat for "Girls Chase Boys" back in 2014! I'm (unsurprisingly) glad to hear that "Problem" has held up even better for you, though.
    I think that's the highest year-end position for a song that never went to #1. Problem, incidentally, was right behind it at #3 for year end.

Yet another chart that hurts so good, cheap!
    Thanks for stopping by again, phoenix

Legend
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 02:55

I'm actually listening to "Truth Hurts" right now! It's okay, but it doesn't have a patch on "Juice".

I decided to check out "On My Way", and is that Sabrina sounding like a divine angel? Great song!
    I was ambitious, though I didn’t know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child – What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 03:52

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    I'm actually listening to "Truth Hurts" right now! It's okay, but it doesn't have a patch on "Juice".

I decided to check out "On My Way", and is that Sabrina sounding like a divine angel? Great song!
    By all rights, Juice should have been #1 too. I don't know what I was thinking when it stopped at #4.

But I'm so glad you love Sabrina in the song. It seems to keep lingering in the top five because I'm not getting tired of it. I love to sing along with Sabrina, but wow, do I not sound like her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 16:57

Western skies?

I'm hoping for another huge jump for Whitney. The song is perfect for summer... if you're living somewhere hot.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 17:48

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy View Post
    Western skies?

I'm hoping for another huge jump for Whitney. The song is perfect for summer... if you're living somewhere hot.
    Wait, is it good that I chose western Skies of his songs, lol

Yes, I think Whitney's just getting started

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 22:16

Chart Notes:

For the week ending July 20:

• I suppose a song called Higher Love getting Biggest Jump honors is appropriate for a moon landing anniversary. Whitney has had five songs since 2000 on the chart. All of them went to #1. Can she continue the streak?
    • Madonna's God Control moves into the top ten. This marks the 4th occasion that Whitney and Madonna have shared time in the top ten. Interestingly, three of those are "9" years - 1999, 2009, and now 2019. In 1999, Beautiful Stranger was #1 while It's Not Right, But It's OK was in the top ten. In 2009, Whitney was at #1 with Million Dollar Bill while Celebration was at #5. The other time was in 2012 and they held the top two positions - #1 was His Eye Is On The Sparrow from Sparkle for Whitney, and at #2 was Turn Up the Radio for Madonna. Interestingly, every time this has happened has been in July or August.
    • For the second week in a row, the lone debut is a country song. This is Thomas' 2nd chart appearance after Die a Happy Man, and Kelsea's 3rd.

This week in 2015 saw a huge battle for #1. Zedd landed on top this week ahead of Years and Years, but in the year-end tally, he settled for #2 behind King, my top song of the year. Both still get tons of play from me.

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 23:45

Plus whistles make kind of a high pitched sound, like what. I would say Whistle is one of the classic fails of the 2010s
    Ha, good to know you don't emit many high-pitched squeals when someone's wetting your whistle.

Aww, I love that you enjoy the song. I'd given up on him every releasing music again, so it was nice to see the song come up in my Release Radar on spotify. As for the knees, yes, please. More so when he was in his early American Idol marine days haha.
    Tsk, keep up this fat-shaming of poor Josh and you'll really have to post some shirtless selfies of your own I'm sure the ordeal of being on AI is more than enough to make one stress eat a little (or a lot...)

• Guess Ed couldn't handle the truth (but I'm still plenty pleased that "Cross Me" got as far as it did).
    • Fun factoids about Madonna and Whitney! Also interesting that their Top 10 co-habitation always involved one song that wasn't from a standard studio album (either a soundtrack, greatest hits, or standalone single).
    • Glad to see Katy still climbing!
    • Lone debut, eh? Poor forgotten B is even a few spots higher I'm not too enticed by the deluge of Disney live-action remakes, but she certainly sounds great on "Spirit," and the song feels thematically fitting for the film.
    • I just added "Addicted To A Memory," and I'm a bit surprised that a track with such lengthy instrumental breaks smashed so hard! Glad adorable Olly (& co.) triumphed in the end.

Yet another chart that tells it like it is, CT!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 03:18

Ha, good to know you don't emit many high-pitched squeals when someone's wetting your whistle.

Tsk, keep up this fat-shaming of poor Josh and you'll really have to post some shirtless selfies of your own I'm sure the ordeal of being on AI is more than enough to make one stress eat a little (or a lot...)

• Guess Ed couldn't handle the truth (but I'm still plenty pleased that "Cross Me" got as far as it did).
    LOL at all the above

• Fun factoids about Madonna and Whitney! Also interesting that their Top 10 co-habitation always involved one song that wasn't from a standard studio album (either a soundtrack, greatest hits, or standalone single).
    Wow, I didn't catch that! The first two situations was Whitney with a single form an album, and the last two have been Madonna. Though we'll never get a standard studio album from Nippy again :(

• Glad to see Katy still climbing!
    • Lone debut, eh? Poor forgotten B is even a few spots higher I'm not too enticed by the deluge of Disney live-action remakes, but she certainly sounds great on "Spirit," and the song feels thematically fitting for the film.
    YASS Katy - it's the first time I've been behind a Katy single is so long. And I know I forgot about Bey! I was going to edit my post, and then UKmix took forever, and I got distracted. Poor Bey. Hope it does decently for her, but it seems she only gets noticed lately when she's a guest on someone else's song (Perfect, Mi Gente, Walk on Water...)

I just added "Addicted To A Memory," and I'm a bit surprised that a track with such lengthy instrumental breaks smashed so hard! Glad adorable Olly (& co.) triumphed in the end.
    YES, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Though in 2014, an instrumental was actually my #1 of the year! You're right that instrumental #1s in general are rare. Back-to-back (mostly) year-end #1 instrumentals would have been really crazy. 2015 had one of the thinnest margins between #1 and #2 of all time.

Yet another chart that tells it like it is, CT!
    Thanks for visiting

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 15:12

Chart Notes:

For the week ending July 27:

• It's a battle between Millennials and baby Boomers this week, as Bruce Springsteen and a trio of legendary ladies enter the top 10. It's the most senior top ten I've probably ever had. Smokey Robinson will be 80 next year and had led the age parade up until now. But Mavis just turned 80 this month. Bonnie will be 70 later this year and Sheryl is comparatively young and spry at 56.
    • Katy Perry reaches her highest position in over four years. She did hit #5 as part of Feels in 2017
    • I believe Ms. White, with Jaded, is the first trans person to ever make my chart.

Well, look at this - a chart from when I had just joined UKmix three years ago, and my namesake had just been booted from #1 by Adele. So far, it's Adele's most recent #1 out of seven, but maybe some year, she'll release another album and top that. You can see all the songs that hit #1 that summer in this top five, quite a powerful group! Three of them all ended up in the year-end top 10. (I think it's Sia #1; Adele #3; Sam #10)

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 17:00

That was a very short chart-run for "Spirit". Nice to see Katy being Top 3 and your #1 on your Retro chart is flawless as well
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 17:05

Wow, I didn't catch that! The first two situations was Whitney with a single form an album, and the last two have been Madonna. Though we'll never get a standard studio album from Nippy again :(
    Yeah Though we could get something like MJ's Michael and Xscape (just hopefully without any of the "But are they actually his/her real vocals?!" drama).

YASS Katy - it's the first time I've been behind a Katy single is so long. And I know I forgot about Bey! I was going to edit my post, and then UKmix took forever, and I got distracted. Poor Bey. Hope it does decently for her, but it seems she only gets noticed lately when she's a guest on someone else's song (Perfect, Mi Gente, Walk on Water...)
    Ah, totally understandable. The site was giving me a lot of grief for a while too (it would work long enough to compose a post, then start acting up again as soon as I tried to submit it). Thankfully, it's been fine again for the past week or so. **Knock on wood**

• Katy's ascent into your Top 3 is probably my favorite development here, but this entire Top 5 is my favorite in a while! I know and like (or even LOVE) every song in that tier right now.
    • Has Kim Petras never charted yet? Although I haven't actually heard it myself, I know she released a themed EP last October that would fit beautifully on your Halloween playlist. Any rate - how did Ms. White come to your attention? I saw some Amy Winehouse comparisons when I gave her/"Jaded" a quick Google, and I can hear that.
    • Glad to see you showed "Send My Love" a lot of love back in 2016! Definitely one of my favorite Adele singles.

Yet another chart that eases any pain, CT!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 18:13

Ugh Truth Hurts is such a bop!
    Also Never Realy Over, and Youth And Love! Mika and Jack are such an odd combination, but the song grew so much on me!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 22nd, 2019, 19:26

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    That was a very short chart-run for "Spirit". Nice to see Katy being Top 3 and your #1 on your Retro chart is flawless as well
    Just one week! A flop for her on my list! I realized I was only listening to it because it's Bey, and not because I liked the actual song. Hopefully, she'll resurface on my list with another song from her Lion King album.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    Ugh Truth Hurts is such a bop!
    Also Never Realy Over, and Youth And Love! Mika and Jack are such an odd combination, but the song grew so much on me!
    Truth Hurts just makes me smile - even the background Minnesota Vikings at the end are just wackiness. Youth and Love is going to do really well in the year-end chart I think. It's been on my chart for a long time now! The remix totally revitalized it and I think their voices match together so well and also allow me to have delicious bromance fantasies about them.

• Katy's ascent into your Top 3 is probably my favorite development here, but this entire Top 5 is my favorite in a while! I know and like (or even LOVE) every song in that tier right now.
    Yes, it's been a weird year musically for me. I'm having a hard time connecting with the songs on Billboard. Just looking at my charts over the year, it always had a strong presence of songs that were on the charts, but it's been less of that this year and last. Also, the Billboard charts have gotten incredibly, incredibly dull. Like we've had how many song sin the last three years spend 30 weeks in the top ten. Ugh, people need to move on quicker.

• Has Kim Petras never charted yet? Although I haven't actually heard it myself, I know she released a themed EP last October that would fit beautifully on your Halloween playlist. Any rate - how did Ms. White come to your attention? I saw some Amy Winehouse comparisons when I gave her/"Jaded" a quick Google, and I can hear that.
    She appeared on one of my Spotify lists - I think tastemakers? A lot of times I listen to their choices and I'm like oh, Spotify, what the hell are you thinking - I hate this... so I don't check it out very often - haha! But they got this one definitely right! I'll have to check out Kim's Halloween stuff. I just discovered today that Kacey Musgraves' husband Ruston Kelly released a Halloween EP two years ago. I need to be on a better look-out for this stuff. But no, Kim Petras has never charted for me.

• Glad to see you showed "Send My Love" a lot of love back in 2016! Definitely one of my favorite Adele singles.
    Two things I'm bitter about with 25 - that she didn't have more upbeat songs like this - like, girl, you are married with a kid now - you don't have to make me cry through the entire album, and also that Million Years Ago wasn't given a chance to be a single.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Sun July 28th, 2019, 15:12

Chart Notes:

For the week ending Aug. 3:

• Courtesy of Kygo, Whitney Houston ascends to #1 for the sixth time. Three of those have been re-releases of recordings she did in the 90s - I Will Always Love You a couple weeks after her death, The Star Spangled Banner in the 9/11 days, and now this - a modernized take on her cover of Steve Winwood's Higher Love.
    • On My Way tied an interesting record a couple weeks ago. It spent 7 weeks at #3. Lovefool by The Cardigans had 6 weeks at #3 the very first few weeks my chart existed. That record was surpassed by Adele who spent 7 weeks at #3 also, but managed to also hit #1.
    • Old Town Road should set the record tomorrow and on this chart, it doubles up down at the bottom thanks to a version by Walk Off the Earth who hit the top ten twice last year.
    • So, for the first time ever, this thread is my most viewed thread - it only took 2 1/2 years Different games and countdowns have held the record over the years, but last week may become the last week this isn't my most viewed thread

Wish I Knew You - a forgotten gem - I'll have to queue this one up again - it had a brief run at #1 and a brief run in the top ten, but that belies it's magic. In fact, t his is a pretty eclectic mix - and includes two FSC entries - Serena's song remains my only winner, while the Algiers song finished 2nd from the bottom. Algiers is in good company though - Shingai's Coming Home was my entry this month and it also finished 2nd from the bottom!

BONUS retro week: This week in 2005 at the request of G$ - Mimi was killing it at #1. She managed to hold off both Kanye West and Rihanna, who BOTH had their first chart entry in the top five - what a landmark week. But she couldn't hold off Get It Poppin' which still bangs. idc what anyone says.

Legend
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Sun July 28th, 2019, 22:46

I just checked out "Mad Love" and "Live Wire" and they're both decent. Great to see "Higher Love" at #1!
    I was ambitious, though I didn’t know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child – What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 29th, 2019, 15:49

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    I just checked out "Mad Love" and "Live Wire" and they're both decent. Great to see "Higher Love" at #1!
    I actually think Mabel's previous single from her new album was better, but it kind of missed its moment to be on my list. She has a new single, but it sounds like more of the same to me.

Happy to see you liked Live Wire - just great to hear these ladies still jamming together

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Mon July 29th, 2019, 16:11

I know which ones, G$

She was in the top ten that whole summer too. But the 2005 I last ran was in May just before she was in there I just go one year at a time each time, so the next 2005 won't come up until September I think, but maybe I can bump a future one up just for you ;)

Also, you need to PM me a vote for my countdown!

Actually everybody who checks this chart should do it @crystalphoenix I'm talking to you too
    Did you forget about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a thread where WBT wasn't mentioned on Ukmix

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 29th, 2019, 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Did you forget about this?
    Yes

I added it - this week in 2005, she was at #1 after all

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Mon July 29th, 2019, 16:39

Yes

I added it - this week in 2005, she was at #1 after all
    YASSSSSS KWEEN! EMANCIPATION KWEENCLAMATION

It’s been my #1 for 746 weeks (and counting )

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Mon July 29th, 2019, 17:55

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    YASSSSSS KWEEN! EMANCIPATION KWEENCLAMATION

It’s been my #1 for 746 weeks (and counting )
    OTR who?

I know this is a difficult day for you, so hopefully the update helps. ;)

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Wed July 31st, 2019, 09:43

Love to see The Archer here! It's the best of all the three from her upcoming album, and lyricly realy good!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

by » Tue August 6th, 2019, 14:36

Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    Love to see The Archer here! It's the best of all the three from her upcoming album, and lyricly realy good!
    Agree it's the best of the three - Me! was cute, but I really didn't like Calm Down. This one feels more heartfelt. On the next chart, it only moves up slightly though.