Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-02-19, 17:20

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/2:

• Some people have already been tagged, but I finally got my top 40 of 2018 off the ground, and plan to update it frequently this week. I am hopeful it will be done by the end of the week!
    • A year ago after Janelle debuted at #1, she still has one song from her Dirty Computer album charting - Screwed, which holds its position for the anniversary. Her other song exits the top ten with a huge bounce. It could be awhile after this week before we see Janelle again.
    • Rainbow has the biggest jump almost flying to #2. This is one of the strongest top 2 in awhile. I am so grateful Kacey re-introduced this song - it's absolutely beautiful, and probably would get more plays if it didn't make me cry so much. It is the highest ranking out of three songs from Golden Hour.

While Dua Lipa and St. Vincent have a mash-up move up this week, it is far below the only other Grammy mash-up to chart by Annie and Hozier - the song spent four weeks in the top ten, and two of them behind one of the biggest songs of the year, the raunchy and delightful Truffle Butter. This was the first #1 for Drake and Nicki on the chart!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-03-19, 14:06

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/9:

• My top 40 of 2018 is wrapping up, as we have now moved into the top 5. There's a good chance that my #6 will hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today!
    • You all know how there are artists I get thirsty for, and one of them has been Shingai Shoniwa, the lead singer of the Noisettes, who hadn't released anything since 2012. This week her latest debuts at #4.
    • The top ten is quite global as I have representatives from the US, Canada, South Africa the UK, New Zealand, and Sweden this week.

So the beginning of 2016 was full of a coincidence involving the number 7. Formation had knocked off Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay, which was Coldplay's 7th #1. A battle then brew between two of the biggest acts on the Cheap 20, with Bey the winner. Formation was Bey's 7th (and so far, most recent) #1, which blocked Adele from getting her 7th #1. (Don't cry for Adele though; she'd get her 7th #1 with her next single and is currently tied with Bey). For extra fun, Bonnie Raitt knocked off Bey with HER 7th #1.

EDIT: Just realized I am about to hit my 7777th post as I write this.

In case you're wondering, the record for most #1s is currently a tie between Eminem (his 9th #1 was in 2013 with The Monster, and he's had three #2 songs since.) and Lady Gaga, whose Shallow became her 9th #1 in October of last year.

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-03-19, 04:01

Eminem/Gaga is an eclectic top 2 to have on your #1s leaderboard.

"Hello Happiness" has grown on me!
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-03-19, 13:23

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Eminem/Gaga is an eclectic top 2 to have on your #1s leaderboard.

"Hello Happiness" has grown on me!
    They couldn't be more different. Eminem was on his way to his 10th last year when Make Me Feel was released and debuted at #1 ahead of him.

I think Hello Happiness is great! I ddn't even know Chaka was still recording, but she sounds completely current on it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 05-03-19, 17:20

• I actually did not know that you get thirsty for women If you don't mind me asking, how do you identify? (Or do you prefer to avoid labels entirely when it comes to your sexuality?) "Coming Home" is my first exposure to Shingai's work, and it's pretty intriguing. The song really comes together after reading how it was inspired by a trip to Zimbabwe (and that she's of Zimbabwean descent).
    THRILLED by that Top 5 leap for "I'm So Tired..." It seems like that song's been a "pass" for many UKMIXers, so this new peak feels like a real triumph!
    Ha, I love your summary about all those 7's, but I'm a little surprised that "Formation" was Bey's only chart-topper from Lemonade. Did anything else from that project come close? "Sorry" was my fave by a pretty massive margin.

Yet another illuminating chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-03-19, 16:02

@phoenix98 Shingai was the lead singer for the Noisettes, a band I absolutely loved. But they broke up, and hadn't released anything since 2012. I had given up on her ever releasing anything, but she started doing some shows around the UK last fall, and now has an EP coming out. So I was perched. I just meant I was thirsty for her music, not her, though she's very beautiful - enough to be my avi You know I am all about the boys.

I'm So Tired really clicked with me - though I've talked about changing how I chart for awhile now, one of the positives of songs climbing is it gives me some time to evaluate them and see if it's a song that will stick with me or something I listened to for a week and then was over. I don't see it going to #1 because the two songs ahead of it still get played so much and now Shingai has joined the mix, but I do really enjoy it.

Sorry was the only other song from Lemonade that made the top 10 - it peaked at #9, which at the time was the lowest peaking song of hers on my chart (other than songs that didn't chart at all). (Incidentally, her feature on Mi Gente is now the lowest). I do remember her released it as a Tidal exclusive at first hurt my listening because I don't use Tidal

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-03-19, 20:50

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/16:

• It's a pretty quiet this week on the Cheap 20, with most songs staying within 1 or 2 spots from last week.
    • An exception is Valentino, which rises four points to move into the top ten - the 8th for Years and Years.
    • Our lone debut goes to JID, known for super-fast rap delivery, but here it's a more mellow song backed by a 1950s Helen Mirrell sample.

We are up to 2017, when I started posting my chart on UKMix! This week in 2017 saw a lot of doubling up in the top ten, as seen in the top five. Alan Walker and Sia both had an appearance of their own, and a doubling up of sorts with Alan Walker remixing Move Your Body.

Sean Paul not only appeared at #1, but had his own lead on No Lie, just below the top 5 at #6. No Lie featured Dua Lipa, who was ALSO featured at #8 on Martin Garrix's Scared to be Lonely.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-03-19, 17:45

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Shingai was the lead singer for the Noisettes, a band I absolutely loved. But they broke up, and hadn't released anything since 2012. I had given up on her ever releasing anything, but she started doing some shows around the UK last fall, and now has an EP coming out. So I was perched. I just meant I was thirsty for her music, not her, though she's very beautiful - enough to be my avi You know I am all about the boys.
    Ha, gotcha. Good to know I had it right all along!

Sorry was the only other song from Lemonade that made the top 10 - it peaked at #9, which at the time was the lowest peaking song of hers on my chart (other than songs that didn't chart at all). (Incidentally, her feature on Mi Gente is now the lowest). I do remember her released it as a Tidal exclusive at first hurt my listening because I don't use Tidal
    Ah, so No. 9 is still her lowest peak when she's been the lead? That's pretty impressive if all of her "own" singles reached your Top 10 (well, when they charted at all). Yeah, the Tidal-exclusivity of Lemonade was a shrewd (but annoying) move, for sure.

Wow, "Candlelight" still hasn't burnt out! I'll have to add it to my library to see if it can grow on me more...
    • Congrats to Y&Y on yet another Top 10! Is this MNEK's first, or maybe "Never Forget You" managed it?
    • After its pretty exceptional/promising Top 5 debut, "7 Rings" never wound up making it higher than No. 3. Now to see if it'll be a similar story for "Coming Home"...

Yet another sizzling chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-03-19, 18:20

@phoenix98 I had to double-check, but yes it appears Bey has never finished lower than #9! So she has either made the top 10 as lead or not at all!

You are also correct that MNEK previously charted with Never Forget You, which went all the way to #2. It was held out by Dua Lipa's Be The One!

7 Rings did OK, but it got old for me after a few weeks, and I think Break Up... is going to miss the top ten completely, as it sounds a bit similar to 7 Rings. I might be suffering a little Ari burn-out :(

Youth and Love is another song by Jack Savoretti I like that you could check out. It will likely debut next week on my chart. Several UK artists on my chart now! Guess I'm preparing for when I got the UK in a couple months

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-03-19, 21:54

Some good songs here; Jack Savoretti, Billie Eilish, Florence. Love the Sia track 'Move Your Body' in the retro top 5.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-03-19, 15:49

Thanks so much for checking in @steophonic Those three songs you mentioned should continue to do ok in the next chart

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-03-19, 17:21

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/23:

• Two months ago today is when we said goodbye to Sadie, so it's probably time for Sia and Austin Prince to go. Puppies Are Forever is the only Christmas song ever to chart into March, almost to the First Day of Spring!
    • We aren't quite a quarter of the year through, and six songs have hit #1. That is the fastest turnover ever - beating the record set in 2014 by one week. It took until the end of June to get to our 6th #1 last year (Only 2011 took longer.)
    • Thomas Rhett debuts, giving us three country artists (along with Kacey Musgraves and Abby Anderson) on the Cheap 20 for the first time in nearly four years.
    • And one of those artists is at #1 - Kacey is the only country artist to have hit #1 more than once, and this is now her third #1, following the seasonal song Ribbons and Bows, and in 2015, Biscuits.

For the first time, 2018 shows up in the retro list, and it was just as my Dirty Computer obsession was beginning! It would go on to prevent six songs from hitting #1, include Kendrick Lamar's Black Panther tracks, and Leslie Clio's And I'm Leaving - a song that @SilentDream introduced in the Song Collectors game.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-03-19, 11:19

I love “And I’m Leaving”, but Leslie Clio actually has even better songs than that one, so you should definitely check out some of her other stuff as well.

Also, from your last post I like these songs:
    “Hospitalized” - one of the highlights on Broods’ 3rd album.
    “Juice” - I’ve only discovered this one recently. I like it, it’s really uplifting and addictive.
    ”The Ghost of You” - Amazing song. I wish she would finally release a new album, it’s been ages since her last one.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-03-19, 18:05

7 Rings did OK, but it got old for me after a few weeks, and I think Break Up... is going to miss the top ten completely, as it sounds a bit similar to 7 Rings. I might be suffering a little Ari burn-out :(
    NoOoOoOoOo! Well...I've actually felt somewhat similarly lately, and I think it has to do with these last two singles ("7 Rings" and "Break Up...") both being among my all-time-least-favorites from her. Usually the excitement of following her singles on official (and personal) charts keeps her at the front of my mind, but with these, I'm just like "So can we move on to promoting something better now...?"

Youth and Love is another song by Jack Savoretti I like that you could check out. It will likely debut next week on my chart. Several UK artists on my chart now! Guess I'm preparing for when I got the UK in a couple months
    Many thanks for the recommendation! "Youth And Love" is definitely more up-my-alley than "Candlelight." You're UK-bound? Hype! Where will you be visiting?

Did "Rainbow" rise to No. 1 as a nod to St. Patty's Day pots o' gold? I've learned that holiday influence on your chart is not to be underestimated. Whatever the reason(s), I'm all for this record-setting turnover on top in 2019!
    • Everyone around here seems to be sipping on "Juice" lately! I can't remember if it was Akini or Jake who called it "snappy," but that really is a fitting descriptor.
    • Surprised to see Jordin collaborating on a country song! What prompted this entry for a 2015 album track?

Yet another vibrant chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 20-03-19, 16:25

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDream View Post
    I love “And I’m Leaving”, but Leslie Clio actually has even better songs than that one, so you should definitely check out some of her other stuff as well.

Also, from your last post I like these songs:
    “Hospitalized” - one of the highlights on Broods’ 3rd album.
    “Juice” - I’ve only discovered this one recently. I like it, it’s really uplifting and addictive.
    ”The Ghost of You” - Amazing song. I wish she would finally release a new album, it’s been ages since her last one.
    What Leslie songs would you recommend? So happy you also enjoy Hospitalized - I wish the lyric video for it weren't so goofy, but I really love the lyrics and its upbeat dance vibe And Lizzo is a grower. I remember you are my fellow Caro Emerald fan I am really anxious to hear new material from her too, especially since that last release was just an EP.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98 View Post
    NoOoOoOoOo! Well...I've actually felt somewhat similarly lately, and I think it has to do with these last two singles ("7 Rings" and "Break Up...") both being among my all-time-least-favorites from her. Usually the excitement of following her singles on official (and personal) charts keeps her at the front of my mind, but with these, I'm just like "So can we move on to promoting something better now...?"
    I still think Thank U Next was fantastic, and 7 Rings was some fun female posturing, but it quickly got old. I do think it's more burn-out than anything. I just went through my charts and Ariana has been in my top 20 since April without missing a week - no wonder I need a break

Many thanks for the recommendation! "Youth And Love" is definitely more up-my-alley than "Candlelight." You're UK-bound? Hype! Where will you be visiting?
    Yesss, so glad you like it! As for the UK, I arrive the last week of May and staying through the first week of June. Any recommendations on things to do? We will be visiting Paris and Liverpool as well

Did "Rainbow" rise to No. 1 as a nod to St. Patty's Day pots o' gold? I've learned that holiday influence on your chart is not to be underestimated. Whatever the reason(s), I'm all for this record-setting turnover on top in 2019!
    • Everyone around here seems to be sipping on "Juice" lately! I can't remember if it was Akini or Jake who called it "snappy," but that really is a fitting descriptor.
    [FONT=verdana][COLOR=#333333]• Surprised to see Jordin collaborating on a country song! What prompted this entry for a 2015 album track?
    LOLLLL, I didn't even think of the good timing for St Patrick's But really, it just won the war of attrition this week. As for the turnover, it feels like a reaction to last year - I think only thirteen songs hit #1, and also I've kind of re-evaluated how I do my charts. Juice and Thomas Rhett both benefit from the March Madness tournament. It is really rare for an old song to make my chart (the last I think was Pentatonix's take on Jolene with Dolly Parton early last year), but every now and then I acknowledge it if it's a song that gets a lot of play and hasn't charted before.

Thanks again for commenting

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-03-19, 18:14

What Leslie songs would you recommend?
    If you have Spotify (since many of her songs aren’t on YT) you should check out “Sad Games”, “Be with You” and “Trying Times”, for example. But she has many more songs that are worth listening to, so just tell me if you want more suggestions.