Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 27th, 2019, 18:20

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/2:

• Some people have already been tagged, but I finally got my top 40 of 2018 off the ground, and plan to update it frequently this week. I am hopeful it will be done by the end of the week!
    • A year ago after Janelle debuted at #1, she still has one song from her Dirty Computer album charting - Screwed, which holds its position for the anniversary. Her other song exits the top ten with a huge bounce. It could be awhile after this week before we see Janelle again.
    • Rainbow has the biggest jump almost flying to #2. This is one of the strongest top 2 in awhile. I am so grateful Kacey re-introduced this song - it's absolutely beautiful, and probably would get more plays if it didn't make me cry so much. It is the highest ranking out of three songs from Golden Hour.

While Dua Lipa and St. Vincent have a mash-up move up this week, it is far below the only other Grammy mash-up to chart by Annie and Hozier - the song spent four weeks in the top ten, and two of them behind one of the biggest songs of the year, the raunchy and delightful Truffle Butter. This was the first #1 for Drake and Nicki on the chart!

It's time for Hot 100 Songs of 2018 Survivor!
    Of course, cheapthrills does Sia Survivor!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon March 4th, 2019, 15:06

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/9:

• My top 40 of 2018 is wrapping up, as we have now moved into the top 5. There's a good chance that my #6 will hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 today!
    • You all know how there are artists I get thirsty for, and one of them has been Shingai Shoniwa, the lead singer of the Noisettes, who hadn't released anything since 2012. This week her latest debuts at #4.
    • The top ten is quite global as I have representatives from the US, Canada, South Africa the UK, New Zealand, and Sweden this week.

So the beginning of 2016 was full of a coincidence involving the number 7. Formation had knocked off Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay, which was Coldplay's 7th #1. A battle then brew between two of the biggest acts on the Cheap 20, with Bey the winner. Formation was Bey's 7th (and so far, most recent) #1, which blocked Adele from getting her 7th #1. (Don't cry for Adele though; she'd get her 7th #1 with her next single and is currently tied with Bey). For extra fun, Bonnie Raitt knocked off Bey with HER 7th #1.

EDIT: Just realized I am about to hit my 7777th post as I write this.

In case you're wondering, the record for most #1s is currently a tie between Eminem (his 9th #1 was in 2013 with The Monster, and he's had three #2 songs since.) and Lady Gaga, whose Shallow became her 9th #1 in October of last year.

Legend
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 5th, 2019, 05:01

Eminem/Gaga is an eclectic top 2 to have on your #1s leaderboard.

"Hello Happiness" has grown on me!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [75-71]

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 5th, 2019, 14:23

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Eminem/Gaga is an eclectic top 2 to have on your #1s leaderboard.

"Hello Happiness" has grown on me!
    They couldn't be more different. Eminem was on his way to his 10th last year when Make Me Feel was released and debuted at #1 ahead of him.

I think Hello Happiness is great! I ddn't even know Chaka was still recording, but she sounds completely current on it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 5th, 2019, 18:20

• I actually did not know that you get thirsty for women If you don't mind me asking, how do you identify? (Or do you prefer to avoid labels entirely when it comes to your sexuality?) "Coming Home" is my first exposure to Shingai's work, and it's pretty intriguing. The song really comes together after reading how it was inspired by a trip to Zimbabwe (and that she's of Zimbabwean descent).
    THRILLED by that Top 5 leap for "I'm So Tired..." It seems like that song's been a "pass" for many UKMIXers, so this new peak feels like a real triumph!
    Ha, I love your summary about all those 7's, but I'm a little surprised that "Formation" was Bey's only chart-topper from Lemonade. Did anything else from that project come close? "Sorry" was my fave by a pretty massive margin.

Yet another illuminating chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 6th, 2019, 17:02

@phoenix98 Shingai was the lead singer for the Noisettes, a band I absolutely loved. But they broke up, and hadn't released anything since 2012. I had given up on her ever releasing anything, but she started doing some shows around the UK last fall, and now has an EP coming out. So I was perched. I just meant I was thirsty for her music, not her, though she's very beautiful - enough to be my avi You know I am all about the boys.

I'm So Tired really clicked with me - though I've talked about changing how I chart for awhile now, one of the positives of songs climbing is it gives me some time to evaluate them and see if it's a song that will stick with me or something I listened to for a week and then was over. I don't see it going to #1 because the two songs ahead of it still get played so much and now Shingai has joined the mix, but I do really enjoy it.

Sorry was the only other song from Lemonade that made the top 10 - it peaked at #9, which at the time was the lowest peaking song of hers on my chart (other than songs that didn't chart at all). (Incidentally, her feature on Mi Gente is now the lowest). I do remember her released it as a Tidal exclusive at first hurt my listening because I don't use Tidal

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon March 11th, 2019, 21:50

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/16:

• It's a pretty quiet this week on the Cheap 20, with most songs staying within 1 or 2 spots from last week.
    • An exception is Valentino, which rises four points to move into the top ten - the 8th for Years and Years.
    • Our lone debut goes to JID, known for super-fast rap delivery, but here it's a more mellow song backed by a 1950s Helen Mirrell sample.

We are up to 2017, when I started posting my chart on UKMix! This week in 2017 saw a lot of doubling up in the top ten, as seen in the top five. Alan Walker and Sia both had an appearance of their own, and a doubling up of sorts with Alan Walker remixing Move Your Body.

Sean Paul not only appeared at #1, but had his own lead on No Lie, just below the top 5 at #6. No Lie featured Dua Lipa, who was ALSO featured at #8 on Martin Garrix's Scared to be Lonely.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 12th, 2019, 18:45

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Shingai was the lead singer for the Noisettes, a band I absolutely loved. But they broke up, and hadn't released anything since 2012. I had given up on her ever releasing anything, but she started doing some shows around the UK last fall, and now has an EP coming out. So I was perched. I just meant I was thirsty for her music, not her, though she's very beautiful - enough to be my avi You know I am all about the boys.
    Ha, gotcha. Good to know I had it right all along!

Sorry was the only other song from Lemonade that made the top 10 - it peaked at #9, which at the time was the lowest peaking song of hers on my chart (other than songs that didn't chart at all). (Incidentally, her feature on Mi Gente is now the lowest). I do remember her released it as a Tidal exclusive at first hurt my listening because I don't use Tidal
    Ah, so No. 9 is still her lowest peak when she's been the lead? That's pretty impressive if all of her "own" singles reached your Top 10 (well, when they charted at all). Yeah, the Tidal-exclusivity of Lemonade was a shrewd (but annoying) move, for sure.

Wow, "Candlelight" still hasn't burnt out! I'll have to add it to my library to see if it can grow on me more...
    • Congrats to Y&Y on yet another Top 10! Is this MNEK's first, or maybe "Never Forget You" managed it?
    • After its pretty exceptional/promising Top 5 debut, "7 Rings" never wound up making it higher than No. 3. Now to see if it'll be a similar story for "Coming Home"...

Yet another sizzling chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 12th, 2019, 19:20

@phoenix98 I had to double-check, but yes it appears Bey has never finished lower than #9! So she has either made the top 10 as lead or not at all!

You are also correct that MNEK previously charted with Never Forget You, which went all the way to #2. It was held out by Dua Lipa's Be The One!

7 Rings did OK, but it got old for me after a few weeks, and I think Break Up... is going to miss the top ten completely, as it sounds a bit similar to 7 Rings. I might be suffering a little Ari burn-out :(

Youth and Love is another song by Jack Savoretti I like that you could check out. It will likely debut next week on my chart. Several UK artists on my chart now! Guess I'm preparing for when I got the UK in a couple months

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 14th, 2019, 22:54

Some good songs here; Jack Savoretti, Billie Eilish, Florence. Love the Sia track 'Move Your Body' in the retro top 5.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 15th, 2019, 16:49

Thanks so much for checking in @steophonic Those three songs you mentioned should continue to do ok in the next chart

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon March 18th, 2019, 18:21

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/23:

• Two months ago today is when we said goodbye to Sadie, so it's probably time for Sia and Austin Prince to go. Puppies Are Forever is the only Christmas song ever to chart into March, almost to the First Day of Spring!
    • We aren't quite a quarter of the year through, and six songs have hit #1. That is the fastest turnover ever - beating the record set in 2014 by one week. It took until the end of June to get to our 6th #1 last year (Only 2011 took longer.)
    • Thomas Rhett debuts, giving us three country artists (along with Kacey Musgraves and Abby Anderson) on the Cheap 20 for the first time in nearly four years.
    • And one of those artists is at #1 - Kacey is the only country artist to have hit #1 more than once, and this is now her third #1, following the seasonal song Ribbons and Bows, and in 2015, Biscuits.

For the first time, 2018 shows up in the retro list, and it was just as my Dirty Computer obsession was beginning! It would go on to prevent six songs from hitting #1, include Kendrick Lamar's Black Panther tracks, and Leslie Clio's And I'm Leaving - a song that @SilentDream introduced in the Song Collectors game.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 19th, 2019, 12:19

I love “And I’m Leaving”, but Leslie Clio actually has even better songs than that one, so you should definitely check out some of her other stuff as well.

Also, from your last post I like these songs:
    “Hospitalized” - one of the highlights on Broods’ 3rd album.
    “Juice” - I’ve only discovered this one recently. I like it, it’s really uplifting and addictive.
    ”The Ghost of You” - Amazing song. I wish she would finally release a new album, it’s been ages since her last one.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 19th, 2019, 19:05

7 Rings did OK, but it got old for me after a few weeks, and I think Break Up... is going to miss the top ten completely, as it sounds a bit similar to 7 Rings. I might be suffering a little Ari burn-out :(
    NoOoOoOoOo! Well...I've actually felt somewhat similarly lately, and I think it has to do with these last two singles ("7 Rings" and "Break Up...") both being among my all-time-least-favorites from her. Usually the excitement of following her singles on official (and personal) charts keeps her at the front of my mind, but with these, I'm just like "So can we move on to promoting something better now...?"

Youth and Love is another song by Jack Savoretti I like that you could check out. It will likely debut next week on my chart. Several UK artists on my chart now! Guess I'm preparing for when I got the UK in a couple months
    Many thanks for the recommendation! "Youth And Love" is definitely more up-my-alley than "Candlelight." You're UK-bound? Hype! Where will you be visiting?

Did "Rainbow" rise to No. 1 as a nod to St. Patty's Day pots o' gold? I've learned that holiday influence on your chart is not to be underestimated. Whatever the reason(s), I'm all for this record-setting turnover on top in 2019!
    • Everyone around here seems to be sipping on "Juice" lately! I can't remember if it was Akini or Jake who called it "snappy," but that really is a fitting descriptor.
    • Surprised to see Jordin collaborating on a country song! What prompted this entry for a 2015 album track?

Yet another vibrant chart, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 20th, 2019, 17:25

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDream View Post
    I love “And I’m Leaving”, but Leslie Clio actually has even better songs than that one, so you should definitely check out some of her other stuff as well.

Also, from your last post I like these songs:
    “Hospitalized” - one of the highlights on Broods’ 3rd album.
    “Juice” - I’ve only discovered this one recently. I like it, it’s really uplifting and addictive.
    ”The Ghost of You” - Amazing song. I wish she would finally release a new album, it’s been ages since her last one.
    What Leslie songs would you recommend? So happy you also enjoy Hospitalized - I wish the lyric video for it weren't so goofy, but I really love the lyrics and its upbeat dance vibe And Lizzo is a grower. I remember you are my fellow Caro Emerald fan I am really anxious to hear new material from her too, especially since that last release was just an EP.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98 View Post
    NoOoOoOoOo! Well...I've actually felt somewhat similarly lately, and I think it has to do with these last two singles ("7 Rings" and "Break Up...") both being among my all-time-least-favorites from her. Usually the excitement of following her singles on official (and personal) charts keeps her at the front of my mind, but with these, I'm just like "So can we move on to promoting something better now...?"
    I still think Thank U Next was fantastic, and 7 Rings was some fun female posturing, but it quickly got old. I do think it's more burn-out than anything. I just went through my charts and Ariana has been in my top 20 since April without missing a week - no wonder I need a break

Many thanks for the recommendation! "Youth And Love" is definitely more up-my-alley than "Candlelight." You're UK-bound? Hype! Where will you be visiting?
    Yesss, so glad you like it! As for the UK, I arrive the last week of May and staying through the first week of June. Any recommendations on things to do? We will be visiting Paris and Liverpool as well

Did "Rainbow" rise to No. 1 as a nod to St. Patty's Day pots o' gold? I've learned that holiday influence on your chart is not to be underestimated. Whatever the reason(s), I'm all for this record-setting turnover on top in 2019!
    • Everyone around here seems to be sipping on "Juice" lately! I can't remember if it was Akini or Jake who called it "snappy," but that really is a fitting descriptor.
    [FONT=verdana][COLOR=#333333]• Surprised to see Jordin collaborating on a country song! What prompted this entry for a 2015 album track?
    LOLLLL, I didn't even think of the good timing for St Patrick's But really, it just won the war of attrition this week. As for the turnover, it feels like a reaction to last year - I think only thirteen songs hit #1, and also I've kind of re-evaluated how I do my charts. Juice and Thomas Rhett both benefit from the March Madness tournament. It is really rare for an old song to make my chart (the last I think was Pentatonix's take on Jolene with Dolly Parton early last year), but every now and then I acknowledge it if it's a song that gets a lot of play and hasn't charted before.

Thanks again for commenting

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 21st, 2019, 19:14

What Leslie songs would you recommend?
    If you have Spotify (since many of her songs aren’t on YT) you should check out “Sad Games”, “Be with You” and “Trying Times”, for example. But she has many more songs that are worth listening to, so just tell me if you want more suggestions.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 26th, 2019, 02:42

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDream View Post
    If you have Spotify (since many of her songs aren’t on YT) you should check out “Sad Games”, “Be with You” and “Trying Times”, for example. But she has many more songs that are worth listening to, so just tell me if you want more suggestions.
    I like Sad Games, but I was also kind of nosing around YT and found a song from 2017 I like called Riot. Thanks for the suggestions

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 26th, 2019, 02:51

]Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/30:

• It's my 8000th post
    • And yet another new #1 as Shingai moves to the top spot in her first outing as a solo artist. This is her 4th time at #1, but the other three times were as part of the Noisettes. Another British #1 in anticipation of my trip out there
    • Sweet But Psycho was so good the first time I charted it again, it re-enters this week at #19! Oh you mean this is a different song - oh, ok.

The chart for 1998 is missing so we'll go back to 1999 - twenty years ago - damn! And it could have kind of passed for an 80s chart with Cher, Whitney Houston, and the Beastie Boys all showing up. Body Movin' knocked off Cher with the Fatboy Slim fueled remix, in what was his second #1. If you'l like to hear about a major tragedy in Cher's life, you can check this thread I made (spoiler: clickbait ).

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue March 26th, 2019, 18:45

I still think Thank U Next was fantastic, and 7 Rings was some fun female posturing, but it quickly got old. I do think it's more burn-out than anything. I just went through my charts and Ariana has been in my top 20 since April without missing a week - no wonder I need a break
    Woah, so Ari nearly went a full 12 months of consistent appearances? No pressure, since this could be a very time-consuming pain to look up, but was that a record-setting string for an act...?

Yesss, so glad you like it! As for the UK, I arrive the last week of May and staying through the first week of June. Any recommendations on things to do? We will be visiting Paris and Liverpool as well
    HYPE! My last visit to the UK was back in 2010 (and I haven't been to France in even longer), but I figure any music fan oughta pop into HMV (Well, if they're still open...)

• Congrats to Shingai on her first taste of massive solo success! Your chart feels truly "personal" in that your No. 1's are often tied to specific real-life events (like your upcoming trip), or holidays that are meaningful for you. It's quite nice.
    • Ha, so much shade for a song you're still choosing to chart I guess it's one of those "you tease the ones you love" situations? Similarities aside, I thought "So Am I" was pretty cute and catchy at first, but I haven't actually been replaying it much...

Yet another chart that feels like home, cheap!

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 11:32

Really liking the entries by Kacey, Billie, Years & Years / MNEK and Ava Max here!

Aw at "We Appreciate Power" falling out. This was such a great tune, a shame Grimes has been so quiet lately...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 17:24

Woah, so Ari nearly went a full 12 months of consistent appearances? No pressure, since this could be a very time-consuming pain to look up, but was that a record-setting string for an act...?

HYPE! My last visit to the UK was back in 2010 (and I haven't been to France in even longer), but I figure any music fan oughta pop into HMV (Well, if they're still open...)

• Congrats to Shingai on her first taste of massive solo success! Your chart feels truly "personal" in that your No. 1's are often tied to specific real-life events (like your upcoming trip), or holidays that are meaningful for you. It's quite nice.
    • Ha, so much shade for a song you're still choosing to chart I guess it's one of those "you tease the ones you love" situations? Similarities aside, I thought "So Am I" was pretty cute and catchy at first, but I haven't actually been replaying it much...

Yet another chart that feels like home, cheap!
    Oh where do you live? For some reason, I thought you were in the UK. I just checked and I think there are still some HMVs there! I can't remember the last time I went to a mega record store. Thanks on the personal front. It is sometimes nice to go back and look at pastcharts and imagine what was going on in my life then. I mean, I do like So Am I, but it's so similar, haha... She'll probably be on her third single in the UK before she is even done with her first one here. Sweet But Psycho just made the top 20 on Billboard this week.

As for the most consecutive weeks, I already know the answer - it belongs to Adele and her 21 album. She released four singles, but then I kept the singles release going for another three. She was in the top twenty for 84 consecutive weeks! And in the top five for 78 consecutive weeks! I doubt those records will ever be topped. If she had stayed just a three weeks longer with that last song, she could have kept the streak going through Skyfall's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    Really liking the entries by Kacey, Billie, Years & Years / MNEK and Ava Max here!

Aw at "We Appreciate Power" falling out. This was such a great tune, a shame Grimes has been so quiet lately...
    I know :( She's spending too much time with Elon Musk.

Legend
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed March 27th, 2019, 17:50

Oh where do you live? For some reason, I thought you were in the UK. I just checked and I think there are still some HMVs there! I can't remember the last time I went to a mega record store. Thanks on the personal front. It is sometimes nice to go back and look at pastcharts and imagine what was going on in my life then. I mean, I do like So Am I, but it's so similar, haha... She'll probably be on her third single in the UK before she is even done with her first one here. Sweet But Psycho just made the top 20 on Billboard this week.
    Nah, California here, though I'm kind of flattered you thought I was a Brit Yeah, since all the big music chains (Virgin, Tower Records) disappeared from the States a while ago, it's a rare treat to visit something like HMV.

I'm somewhat surprised that "Sweet But Psycho" is still slowly-but-surely chugging up the Hot 100! The song really doesn't strike me as a "grower," so I thought it would just go down as a minor hit (at best) here in the US since it wasn't really taking off, but apparently it still has some momentum left...

As for the most consecutive weeks, I already know the answer - it belongs to Adele and her 21 album. She released four singles, but then I kept the singles release going for another three. She was in the top twenty for 84 consecutive weeks! And in the top five for 78 consecutive weeks! I doubt those records will ever be topped. If she had stayed just a three weeks longer with that last song, she could have kept the streak going through Skyfall's run.
    Woah! Although Ari's streak sounded mighty impressive, she still wasn't even close to what Adele managed! Epic.

I know :( She's spending too much time with Elon Musk.
    I hope it's not too obnoxious to insert myself into your and Tansike's discussion, but she shared some details about her upcoming album last week. There's more info in that article, but some of the key takeaways =

Grimes took to Instagram to announce an upcoming album entitled Miss_Anthropocene in a detailed post on Tuesday (March 19).

Echoing her previous post along with the recently released stand-alone demo, "Pretty Dark," Grimes also wrote that she might even drop an EP or a “few more singles of synth-based stuff” before Miss_Anthropocene.

Hype!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 28th, 2019, 16:16

@phoenix98 - Oh yay, California! Only one time zone away - haha! I was just there in January - that time was in San Jose for work. I used to have to go to Cali like three or four times a year.

I will be on the lookout for the Grimes album

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 28th, 2019, 17:17

Shingai and Broods are my highlights. I am gonna chart Shingai in my next chart for sure.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Superstar
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 28th, 2019, 17:38

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    Shingai and Broods are my highlights. I am gonna chart Shingai in my next chart for sure.
    So happy to hear that! I really love Shingai, as you can tell from my avi I've waited so long to hear more from her. I've followed her Insta and for years, no mention of music. I was ready to embrace anything, but this exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for commenting, heppolo