Thread: Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 - May 25, 2019

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu May 2nd, 2019, 21:42

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98 View Post
    Huge "YES!" for "Turn Up The Radio" being Madonna's biggest hit of the 2010's It seemed like that song got a ton of hate back when it became a single for being too fluffy/vacant, but it felt like a fun throwback to her early, light-hearted pop bop days ("Holiday," "Lucky Star," "Into The Groove," etc).
    Your comment made me realize how unusual it was that it was her second single did better than the first - that is the ONLY time that has happened since I started my chart, which goes back to the Ray of Light days.

I recognize Elliot Yamin and Blake Lewis, but not Josh Gracin Granted, I'm not the biggest country aficionado, and it looks like he made the most impact on country radio. I loved Blake's "How Many Words," but I haven't revisited it in quite a while.
    Josh Gracin was the marine! He started off cute, but then as the season went on, he got a bit chunkier too much free food, I'm sure! I think he was in the second season, so he gets the credit as AI's first country artist to chart, ahead of Carrie Underwood. He as dropped from the label after his second album, which is incredible because he was getting decent airplay.

I'd be down for a Billie VS Madge brawl for No. 1 glory in the coming weeks.
    I see both of them staying the top five next week at least!

You'd mentioned not caring much for Taylor at some point, so I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that she has nine Top 10's to her name here! What were her Top 5's besides LWYMMD?
    #1 I Don't Want to Live Forever (her only #1!)
    #2 Christmas Must Mean Something More
    #2 Shake It Off
    #2 Blank Space
    #3 Look What You Made Me Do

I do regret that Blank Space missed #1. The song that blocked it was totally forgettable - a song called Bright Lights by Syn Cole.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon May 6th, 2019, 18:11

Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 11:

• Not only in Billie Eilish the first artist born this century ever to appear on my list, but she's now the first from from this century to go to #1. She's the youngest to hit #1 since Lorde did so in 2013 just shy of her 17th birthday, and is the 4th youngest to hit #1 overall.
    • Lil Nas X, along with Billie, edges into the top five, and is one of only a handful of artists so far that were born after my chart was created. Zara Larsson was the first having been born just two weeks after my first chart. "Every Morning" by Sugar Ray was #1 when Lil Nas X was born and What's Going On?, a charity single by All-Star Tribute was #1 when Billie was born.
    • At the other end of the age scale and of the chart, Smokey Robinson appears as a feature at #20. He is the third oldest artist to chart, but the oldest to chart with a non-Christmas single - Loretta Lynn's To Heck With Old Santa Claus, and Tony Bennett's Baby It's Cold Outside (with Gaga) are the two older artists.

We go back to 2005, and my son had just been born two weeks prior. Juanes had the #1 song when he was born in what ended up being the #1 song of the year and one of my favorite #1s in history. At the time, it was second song in a foreign language to top the list (following Asereje). As for the rest of the top five, well, it was a bunch of white guys singing mostly forgettable songs. Beverly Hills is the only other one I revisit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 7th, 2019, 16:05

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Your comment made me realize how unusual it was that it was her second single did better than the first - that is the ONLY time that has happened since I started my chart, which goes back to the Ray of Light days.
    Ah, that's a fun factoid! When it comes to her post-RoL albums, there's at least a couple where I definitely prefer the later singles to the lead:

• "Nothing Fails" + "Love Profusion" > "American Life" (though it's a closer call if we count "Die Another Day")
    • "Give It 2 Me" + "Miles Away" > "4 Minutes"

"Sorry" is nearly tied with "Hung Up," and same goes for "Turn Up The Radio" + GMAYL.

Josh Gracin was the marine! He started off cute, but then as the season went on, he got a bit chunkier too much free food, I'm sure! I think he was in the second season, so he gets the credit as AI's first country artist to chart, ahead of Carrie Underwood. He as dropped from the label after his second album, which is incredible because he was getting decent airplay.
    Sounds like you were a pretty regular viewer for a while? I actively followed the first season, but only checked out the winners' singles or other noteworthy releases after that (like Jennifer Hudson). The show fell off my radar completely after Phillip Phillips's year (well, aside from all the cringeworthy Mariah-VS-Nicki headlines).

I do regret that Blank Space missed #1. The song that blocked it was totally forgettable - a song called Bright Lights by Syn Cole.
    Glad you've seen the error of your ways I should've guessed there'd be a Christmas song in that bunch!

• Congrats to Billie for doing her generation proud! I've been getting back into "Bad Guy" lately thanks to Akini's "Your Billboard Top 10" game. Besides Billie and Lorde, who were those other young'uns to hit No. 1?
    • Tacocat deserve some points for their name alone <3 After a brief browse through their Wiki page, they seem like a really fascinating (and witty) group. The visuals certainly stole the show during my first look at "Grains Of Salt," but I'm appreciating the song itself more and more with each successive listen. A lot of the lyrics hit home: "wasting so much time, only knowing doubt" ; "don't forget to remember who the f**k you are..."
    • Really pleased to see "ME!" still gaining! You don't seem TOO enthusiastic about the track, so each week it manages to appear here feels like a triumph.
    • I was kind of excited for the UglyDolls soundtrack, since it featured several recognizable names, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the tracks I've checked out (though hearing them within the context of the movie would probably help). It also feels a little absurd having these ridiculously-gorgeous celebrities (Janelle, Nick Jonas, Bebe Rexha, etc) who clearly put great effort into their appearance sending messages about how looks are overrated/over-emphasized.

Yet another chart that's the opposite of bad, cheap!

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed May 8th, 2019, 15:32

It's typical Alan Walker, but it works every time for me. he just connects with the right singers. I like that adding Farruko is a little bit of a departure for him, even if it serves some distraction as well.

About to post the next chart and they are continuing to climb
    True. He has a lucky hand when it comes to collaborations and he knows what works with his songs. Good to know you're enjoying Farruko's parts, maybe I just give the song another chance...

Fantastic new number one! Billie has a fantastic year so far and it's all so deserved. "Bad Guy" is such a bop

Loving that throwback feeling with "La camisa negra". Still a classic!

Legend
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu May 9th, 2019, 03:18

Between ascending to the US top 10 and my favourite RPDR queen this year performing it at every club she visits, "Bad Guy" has gotten enough free promo to really capture my attention. I gave it a proper chance recently, and I think I'm pretty much sold on it. Billie Eilish is hit or miss for me, but "Bad Guy" seems like a certified hit for me at this point.

"SOS" is okay. "Something Strange" is good. "Grains of Salt" is about a minute too long, but I didn't mind it.

OMG, I did not notice that I have had feeling songs as my top songs the last two years - haha! I just checked and 17 songs have charted with the word feel in the title, six of them #1. Two of them involve acts currently in the top ten - Pink's Feel Good Time, which is one of her two #1s, and Madonna's "What It Feels Like For a Girl," which only got to #9.

Really hope you enjoy the JID song. He seems underrated to me. And yes, I really like Old Town Road - the competition is really strong right now, but I think it will go higher as it's just getting started.
    What a relationship with that verb!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 00:15

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post

"Nothing Fails" + "Love Profusion" > "American Life" (though it's a closer call if we count "Die Another Day")
    "Give It 2 Me" + "Miles Away" > "4 Minutes"
    I count Die Another Day, only so I can say she has charted with at least one song from every album since Ray of Light. Technically, she kind ofscored with Hollywood too, as a part of the Into the Hollywood Groove, mash-up she did with Missy Elliot, which is embarrassingly, the last time Madonna was at #1. I thought Medellin' might break that very long streak, but now I'm not sure.

Sounds like you were a pretty regular viewer for a while? I actively followed the first season, but only checked out the winners' singles or other noteworthy releases after that (like Jennifer Hudson). The show fell off my radar completely after Phillip Phillips's year (well, aside from all the cringeworthy Mariah-VS-Nicki headlines).
    Sounds like we got uninterested in American Idol around the same time! I stopped watching with the 2011 season, which is where Hailey Reinhart appeared. It was an all-country artist finale and I was like ok, this is basically Nashville Star now and kind of lost interest. Plus with Simon gone, it wasn't the same. I also lost patience for those shows, though I did follow the Voice for a few years after that. [/quote]

[QUOTE=crystalphoenix;7047516]
    Congrats to Billie for doing her generation proud! I've been getting back into "Bad Guy" lately thanks to Akini's "Your Billboard Top 10" game. Besides Billie and Lorde, who were those other young'uns to hit No. 1?

I had a feeling someone would ask - well, speaking of The Voice - the youngest to ever hit #1 was a Voice contestant - well over a decade after hitting #1 on my chart! It was Billy Gilman, who I think was 11 or 12 when he had "I'm Gonna Email Santa" in 2000. The next youngest after that is Hillary Duff, who hit #1 with So Yesterday in 2002 when she was 15.

[QUOTE=crystalphoenix;7047516]
    Tacocat deserve some points for their name alone <3 After a brief browse through their Wiki page, they seem like a really fascinating (and witty) group. The visuals certainly stole the show during my first look at "Grains Of Salt," but I'm appreciating the song itself more and more with each successive listen. A lot of the lyrics hit home: "wasting so much time, only knowing doubt" ; "don't forget to remember who the f**k you are..."

Ugh, I guess this is a spoiler alert, but you checked it out just as I completely burned out on it. I really loved the song and thought at one point, it would be a #1 contender, but I think I overplayed it. It really is a wonderful song though.

Really pleased to see "ME!" still gaining! You don't seem TOO enthusiastic about the track, so each week it manages to appear here feels like a triumph.
    Yes, and I may be near my limit, but it does move up on the next chart...

I was kind of excited for the UglyDolls soundtrack, since it featured several recognizable names, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the tracks I've checked out (though hearing them within the context of the movie would probably help). It also feels a little absurd having these ridiculously-gorgeous celebrities (Janelle, Nick Jonas, Bebe Rexha, etc) who clearly put great effort into their appearance sending messages about how looks are overrated/over-emphasized.

Yet another chart that's the opposite of bad, cheap!
    Me too ... and you've named yet another song that does not do well on the next chart. I really was so thirsty for a Janelle song, but it didn't even really sound like her.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 00:15

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    True. He has a lucky hand when it comes to collaborations and he knows what works with his songs. Good to know you're enjoying Farruko's parts, maybe I just give the song another chance...

Fantastic new number one! Billie has a fantastic year so far and it's all so deserved. "Bad Guy" is such a bop

Loving that throwback feeling with "La camisa negra". Still a classic!
    YESSSS someone who loves La Camisa Negra - If I did an all-time countdown on my chart, it would be vying for the top spot. I truly love it.

Really find Bad Guy amazing - there's just nothing out there like this on the Hot 100 - she's doing just what someone her age should be doing and it's fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Between ascending to the US top 10 and my favourite RPDR queen this year performing it at every club she visits, "Bad Guy" has gotten enough free promo to really capture my attention. I gave it a proper chance recently, and I think I'm pretty much sold on it. Billie Eilish is hit or miss for me, but "Bad Guy" seems like a certified hit for me at this point.

"SOS" is okay. "Something Strange" is good. "Grains of Salt" is about a minute too long, but I didn't mind it.

What a relationship with that verb!
    Glad to see you made it to the Bad Guy train! I agree Billie is totally hit or miss - and some of the tracks really show her age but some of them are so listenable. I think Bad Guy is the best track, but All Good Girls Go To Hell should be a single, though who knows if it will be, because it seems like the whole release a single to keep interest up in the album is a dying concept anymore since album sales are basically gone.

As for Tacocat, well, as you'll see, you might have foreshadowed the next chart...

Really glad you like Something Strange - man, do I have tons of car karoke with that one. Do you remember her on AI?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 00:22

Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 18:

• Tacocat does indeed fall from #7 off the chart - the biggest drop off the chart since, well, Saturday appeared for one week at #7. Guess #7 is unlucky this year!
    • It's a busy chart week for Jack Savoretti, who sees one song move up, another song hold position, and another song debut. He is the first person to simultaneously chart three songs since Janelle Monae last September.
    • An Eminem debut is not really news, but this is Logic's second appearance since with 1-800 hit, which ended up finishing high in my year end charts in 2017.

This week in 2006 saw the ascension of one of the hugest songs on my chart ever - it was the #1 song of 2006 and obliterated everything below it. A rare country appearance was at #2 in Tim McGraw, who had the second of his four top tens on my chart. And Rihanna was just getting started. SOS was her 2nd appearance after Pon De Replay the year.

Legend
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 16:55

I count Die Another Day, only so I can say she has charted with at least one song from every album since Ray of Light. Technically, she kind ofscored with Hollywood too, as a part of the Into the Hollywood Groove, mash-up she did with Missy Elliot, which is embarrassingly, the last time Madonna was at #1. I thought Medellin' might break that very long streak, but now I'm not sure.
    Ah, so "Die Another Day" was the only American Life track to chart at all? (Besides "Into The Hollywood Groove" with an *). No shame in loving that one, btw - it's a cute collabo, and I feel like it got more promotion/attention here in the States than most of the actual AL singles, largely thanks to the whole Gap tie-in. Madonna's been one of my top-faves since junior high, but she's only scored one No. 1 on my chart so far (granted, Paulboard wasn't born until I was in college). The 2010's haven't exactly been her strongest decade in general (though I did enjoy both albums more than some of her previous ones).

Sounds like we got uninterested in American Idol around the same time! I stopped watching with the 2011 season, which is where Hailey Reinhart appeared. It was an all-country artist finale and I was like ok, this is basically Nashville Star now and kind of lost interest. Plus with Simon gone, it wasn't the same. I also lost patience for those shows, though I did follow the Voice for a few years after that.
    Ha, I'm a little surprised that an all-country-finale turned you off American Idol, since you seem more open to/receptive of country music than most posters around here (myself included). I followed the first season of The Voice too: I was pretty charmed by Dia (though it did seem a little unfair to have her on the show when she'd already released some albums), and I loved Javier's "Fix You" cover.

I had a feeling someone would ask - well, speaking of The Voice - the youngest to ever hit #1 was a Voice contestant - well over a decade after hitting #1 on my chart! It was Billy Gilman, who I think was 11 or 12 when he had "I'm Gonna Email Santa" in 2000. The next youngest after that is Hillary Duff, who hit #1 with So Yesterday in 2002 when she was 15.
    Get it, Hilary I love that you were supporting her that strongly back then! I was actually pretty dismissive of her when she first started releasing music but she won me over big time with "Come Clean." I also think she deserves more credit than she gets for setting the stage for the Hannah Montana/Miley phenomenon (especially having "Why Not" tied into The Lizzie McGuire Movie before launching a successful music career separate from that show/character).

Ugh, I guess this is a spoiler alert, but you checked it out just as I completely burned out on it. I really loved the song and thought at one point, it would be a #1 contender, but I think I overplayed it. It really is a wonderful song though.
    It's probably my favorite discovery from your chart since "When I'm With Him."

• Jack's really making a splash! I'm still not totally sold on his voice/raspy style, but "Symmetry" might be my new favorite from him.
    • That's an encouraging jump for "Ride." After one listen, I'm definitely inspired to add it to my library.
    • I won't hold my breath for Top 10, but I'm glad that "ME!" still had enough gas left in the tank to earn a new peak!
    • I'm a little surprised that Eminem's presence couldn't help "Homicide" enter any higher than No. 18. Em's one of (if not THE) most successful acts ever here, IIRC?

Yet another chart that's good for me, cheap!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed May 15th, 2019, 16:04

Ah, so "Die Another Day" was the only American Life track to chart at all? (Besides "Into The Hollywood Groove" with an *).
    AL was a huge disappointment for me coming off the Music album - unfortunately, her career just wasn't the same after that (with maybe the exception of 4 Minutes, though the success for that was probably because of JT). Madonna has five #1s on my chart, but they all occurred in the first years of the chart. (Frozen, Beautiful Stranger, American Pie, Music, and Into the Hollywood Groove)

Ha, I'm a little surprised that an all-country-finale turned you off American Idol, since you seem more open to/receptive of country music than most posters around here (myself included).
    Well, I didn't like THOSE artists for sure, though Lauren kind of came into her own later. It was probably more Simon leaving that made me leave AI. Every now and then a country song sneaks in there - sometimes I'm compelled to check some country songs out. I will say that that this week's retro chart has TWO Male country artists in the top five, and that is exceedingly rare. I can only think of that happening two or three times ever.

Get it, Hilary I love that you were supporting her that strongly back then! I was actually pretty dismissive of her when she first started releasing music but she won me over big time with "Come Clean." I also think she deserves more credit than she gets for setting the stage for the Hannah Montana/Miley phenomenon (especially having "Why Not" tied into The Lizzie McGuire Movie before launching a successful music career separate from that show/character).
    Come Clean is unfortunately Hillary's only other chart appearance, though I absolutely should have charted Sparks - that was a bop and a half! I think Hillary deserves ALL the credit for the Disney girl explosion of that decade! - Before Raven, before iCarly, before Victorious, all those shows were ways of continuing her legacy. That phenomenon seems to have died in recent years.

It's probably my favorite discovery from your chart since "When I'm With Him."
    I'm really happy you like that song tpo though! It really just was a case of me playing it too much, and then this last week, I found myself skipping it when it would come up on my playlists and I realized I had burned myself on it - it deserved a higher position.

Jack's really making a splash! I'm still not totally sold on his voice/raspy style, but "Symmetry" might be my new favorite from him.
    Symmetry is my favorite track on the album.

That's an encouraging jump for "Ride." After one listen, I'm definitely inspired to add it to my library.
    I won't hold my breath for Top 10, but I'm glad that "ME!" still had enough gas left in the tank to earn a new peak!
    I'm a little surprised that Eminem's presence couldn't help "Homicide" enter any higher than No. 18. Em's one of (if not THE) most successful acts ever here, IIRC?
    When I did my top 100 artists a year ago, Em edged out Lady Gaga by mere points for #1. I haven't redone the points since. They have each had two top tens in the year since, but Shallow was huge, so Gaga probably has the edge now. I think Homicide is just getting started.

The Ride video is what really sold me - just a cool, sexy vibe to that song.

As always thank you so much for checking in on my chart

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed May 15th, 2019, 21:13

Great chart. Top 3 all good songs.

I like the Eminem/Logic debut too.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu May 16th, 2019, 02:31

Quote Originally Posted by steophonic View Post
    Great chart. Top 3 all good songs.

I like the Eminem/Logic debut too.
    Thanks, I can't get enough of any of them haha!

Yay an Em fan

Superstar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Yesterday, 17:53

Chart Notes:

For the week ending May 25:

• The top two remain the same, but changes are afoot as I've created a UK/France playlist for my trip next week!
    • Zimtron is the most immediate beneficiary as this becomes the second single from Shingai's upcoming album to debut in the top ten.
    • We also see Jack Savoretti making some big moves as a result, including the biggest jump of the week with Symmetry.

It appears I was on a rock frenzy this week in 2007 as the top four songs were all by bands (and at #7, there was Fall Out Boy for good measure). Ozomatli only ever charted on my list one other time, but it was a doozy - a 7 week #1 for a song called Love and Hope. Meanwhile, Maroon 5 had just ended a run at #1, their second, after This Love in 2002.