Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 - Nov 16, 2019

Legend
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 01:32

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Nippy's hanging in there on the next chart! Are you going to do anything special when Mimi hits 750?
    Maybe another reaction video?

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    There's only one GOAT in our dictionaries and ppl should look it up.
    Best song ever written and sung, that is WBT. Periodt.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 13:31

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Yay, another chart where "Hot Girl Summer" is faring well!

"Tell Your Girlfriend" is catchy! It's pretty simple, but I enjoy it quite a bit still.

As for your retro top 5, "Music" took ages to connect with me, but I'm a fairly big fan of it now.

Hot Girl Summer is a proper bop - I don't know why more people aren't listening to it! Several female rappers are seeing some success now and it's about time. Since it's clear I prefer female artists in general, I feel like the lack of representation in rap is a major blind spot.

Well, as you'll see in the next chart, I feel pretty strongly about Tell Your Girlfriend. I agree there's a simpleness to it, kind of the way I felt with Call Me Maybe, but it's a song that brings out the car karaoke singer in me like few songs have this year.

I think Music was pretty instant from me - at least fomr it's top five debut, though I also seem to remember it leaked before then, and I was thinking What is this? Beautiful Stranger had come out the year before (I know it's not one of your faves, but I STILL love that one) and American Pie earlier in 2000, so I thought there would be a more retro vibe to her album. She threw me a complete curveball.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 13:32

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Maybe another reaction video?
    Mimi is doing amazing. What song did she knock off 750 weeks ago Was it Vision of Love?

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 13:44

Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 7:

• Rebecca Levy completes her run to the top this week, just edging out Blithe. It's a top five full of first timers, with only Higher Love having both artists who've appeared on the chart before.
    • In the battle of the Fifth Harmony stars, Normani holds her slight lead over Camilla.
    • Anne-Marie has her third top ten. Her two other times were features - on Rudimental's Rumour Mill in 2015 and Clean bandit's Rockabye in 2017, both which were multi-week number ones. Can she continue that winning streak?

2001 - What a poignant retro! This was the last chart prior to 9/11, and this is where things stood. The chart following wouldn't change much, but there would be evidence of its impact in weeks to come. Whitney Houston's Star Spangled Banner would go to #1, Enya's Only Time would appear, and the dance songs would fall off the chart. (Looking at you, Smash Mouth and Wiseguys!)

As with last week, the #1 and #2 songs of the year appeared in this top five. It was Fallin' vs. Bootylicious, and in the end, Destiny's Child won, which would be of no surprise to anyone who knew me then or even now. Bootylicious would rank as one of my top five favorite songs of all time!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Wed September 4th, 2019, 15:45

• YES! In the past, it seems like I ended up jinxing any songs after saying "This is awesome! Thanks for introducing me to it!" - but now your Top 2 is comprised of tracks like that! The curse is broken.
    • "Motivation" >>>> "Señorita," so I'm fine with Normani maintaining her lead over Camila in this case.
    • No mention of Daddy Lauv's updated Top 10 tally, though? Granted, you did devote a bullet point to him back when "F**k..." first debuted, so I guess it's only fair to shift the spotlight to Anne-Marie now.
    • Glad to see "Lover" move up (and out-peak "The Archer"). Hopefully it's still got enough steam left to become her first Top 10 this era. **Fingers and toes crossed**

Yet another chart I'll happily tell anyone about, CT!

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Fri September 6th, 2019, 15:20

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post
    • YES! In the past, it seems like I ended up jinxing any songs after saying "This is awesome! Thanks for introducing me to it!" - but now your Top 2 is comprised of tracks like that! The curse is broken.
    YASSS, and they might be both some of my favorite songs of the year too! With Rebecca, as JSparks said, three's a simplicity to it, but I think it's such a cute song that basically forces you at gunpoint to sing alone

• "Motivation" >>>> "Señorita," so I'm fine with Normani maintaining her lead over Camila in this case.
    The problem is that Señorita is only half Camilla, and the other half is a lackluster Insta model.

• No mention of Daddy Lauv's updated Top 10 tally, though? Granted, you did devote a bullet point to him back when "F**k..." first debuted, so I guess it's only fair to shift the spotlight to Anne-Marie now.
    Yes, I mean it's his 2nd after I'm So Tired, but Anne-Marie has done stellar when she's appeared, having hit #1 twice. I can only think of two artists that have hit #1 on their first three appearances - Dua Lipa and Aloe Blacc, but I'll have to check if there are others.

• Glad to see "Lover" move up (and out-peak "The Archer"). Hopefully it's still got enough steam left to become her first Top 10 this era. **Fingers and toes crossed**
    This one really has snuck up on me - I love the kind of doo-wop vibe to it, so it does seem to be getting more play than the previous single. The Archer was great too, and probably under-performed. This is Tay's 2nd album to yield three songs to chart though! 1989 was more successful (Shake It Off and Blank Space both hit #2 and I think Style hit #8)

Thanks as always for your comments

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 20:36

Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 14:

• Lizzo replaces herself on the chart this week as Truth Hurts Falls off only for Good As Hell to debut.
    • Normani climbs to #2, which is the highest Camilla got with Havana. Camila's appearance on Senorita is her 2nd highest after Havana (as a solo artist).
    • Martin Garrix has his NINTH entry in the top ten; so far he has never managed to hit #1. He did best with Dua Lipa in 2017 on Scared to Be Lonely. Macklemore is making his 5th appearance, but it's his first without Ryan Lewis.

In 2002, Bonnie Raitt was capping off a great summer in which she had her first two #1s on the list. As of just a couple weeks ago, she is now in a 3-way tie for most #1s. 2002 represents the high water mark for women on the chart. Only women held the #1 position for 26 straight weeks. 10 out of 15 #1s were only by women and an eleventh was a shared lead.

Shakira was at #2 for a third week, coming tantalizingly close to being the second act to start off with three number ones in a row (Wherever, Whatever and Underneath Your Clothes topped the chart prior). Fatboy Slim was the first. Since then, there have been three acts to do so: Josh Gracin, Aloe Blacc, and Dua Lipa.

Legend
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 15:34

Mimi is doing amazing. What song did she knock off 750 weeks ago Was it Vision of Love?
    The GOAT before GOAT might have been Fallin’ actually, which I consider now to be the second best song of all time. And I think the GOAT before that was No Scrubs! I love ghetto R&B.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 17:32

The GOAT before GOAT might have been Fallin’ actually, which I consider now to be the second best song of all time. And I think the GOAT before that was No Scrubs! I love ghetto R&B.

OMG, did you you see my retro chart for last week then? Fallin' is incredible, though I credit the back-up singers who make it so epic. (Not that Alicia isn't amazing too)

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 21:28

Just checked out "Don't Blink", and it's good. I want to like "Motivation", but it's too unspectacular a song for the video to fully compensate for it.

Happy to see "Hot Girl Summer" and "Torn" ascending to new peaks. The latter is really growing on me.

Hot Girl Summer is a proper bop - I don't know why more people aren't listening to it! Several female rappers are seeing some success now and it's about time. Since it's clear I prefer female artists in general, I feel like the lack of representation in rap is a major blind spot.

Well, as you'll see in the next chart, I feel pretty strongly about Tell Your Girlfriend. I agree there's a simpleness to it, kind of the way I felt with Call Me Maybe, but it's a song that brings out the car karaoke singer in me like few songs have this year.

I think Music was pretty instant from me - at least fomr it's top five debut, though I also seem to remember it leaked before then, and I was thinking What is this? Beautiful Stranger had come out the year before (I know it's not one of your faves, but I STILL love that one) and American Pie earlier in 2000, so I thought there would be a more retro vibe to her album. She threw me a complete curveball.
    Reassuringly enough, there's been quite a few female rappers making waves in the last five years: Iggy Azalea, Remy Ma, Cardi B, and now Megan Thee Stallion. In 2010, I feel like it was pretty much Nicki Minaj out there by herself. We still need more women prominent in the genre, but the trend is moving in the right direction.

Yeah, the last minute or so of it is pretty good, too.

I really need to revisit "Beautiful Stranger" and "American Pie". Maybe they'll grow on me.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 21:45

The problem is that Señorita is only half Camilla, and the other half is a lackluster Insta model.
    Yowch. I guess we can hope for a Camila-only version to appear on her next album.

Yes, I mean it's his 2nd after I'm So Tired, but Anne-Marie has done stellar when she's appeared, having hit #1 twice. I can only think of two artists that have hit #1 on their first three appearances - Dua Lipa and Aloe Blacc, but I'll have to check if there are others.
    OoOh, is that a hint/foreshadowing where "F**k, I'm Lonely" is headed...?

• Speaking of where songs are heading, it's encouraging to see "Motivation" still making its way toward the top! Not to root against Rebecca, but it'd be ideal if both of those tracks could enjoy some time at No. 1.
    • Go, "Lover," go!
    • Lizzo's had such an interesting breakthrough this year, especially in the US! Her first smash was two years old, and now her next big hit is even older! Meanwhile poor "Juice" (the actual lead single from her current album) still can't crack the Top 80 the Hot 100.
    • Ah, "Underneath Your Clothes" takes me back! I think I preferred it to "Whenever, Wherever" back in the day, but I haven't revisited it or "Objection (Tango)" in far too long.

Yet another chart that tells me all I need to know, CT!

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Thu September 12th, 2019, 00:13

Just checked out "Don't Blink", and it's good. I want to like "Motivation", but it's too unspectacular a song for the video to fully compensate for it.
    Yeah I'm seeing a muted response in the thread for Motivation here. I think the chorus really pops, and I hope this is a least a breakthrough for her. I feel like she could fill a gap in music that is sorely missing from the charts.

I'm glad you like Blithe. I've just started listening to another song by her called Masochistic, and I'm thinking she is a great discovery.

Reassuringly enough, there's been quite a few female rappers making waves in the last five years: Iggy Azalea, Remy Ma, Cardi B, and now Megan Thee Stallion. In 2010, I feel like it was pretty much Nicki Minaj out there by herself. We still need more women prominent in the genre, but the trend is moving in the right direction.
    That's true - maybe I've just been more conscience of rappers the past couple years since my son loves rap (tho he's not really into female rappers - he says he likes Rico Nasty, but I never see him listen to her. He thinks Hot Girl Summer is ok.) I really think the genre could do with an influx of successful women; it would gain even more fans. I like Saweetie's latest too.

I really need to revisit "Beautiful Stranger" and "American Pie". Maybe they'll grow on me.
    Well, I'll give you that American Pie is nothing compared to the original and I don't really revisit that one. But I love the 60s psychedelia of Beautiful Stranger. Somehow she managed to build on the EDM of Ray of Light and yet meet the expectations to recall the 60s era in Austin Powers. The whimsy was something I didn't know Madonna was capable of having.

[QUOTE=crystalphoenix;7138296]OoOh, is that a hint/foreshadowing where "F**k, I'm Lonely" is headed...?

Hmm, I guess I mentioned it twice too! I think it's because it's so odd that Anne-Marie's shown up in the top ten only as a feature on three songs now, and they've all been songs I really, really enjoy. I think it could certainly contest for #1; it will more matter on when/if I burn out on it.

• Lizzo's had such an interesting breakthrough this year, especially in the US! Her first smash was two years old, and now her next big hit is even older! Meanwhile poor "Juice" (the actual lead single from her current album) still can't crack the Top 80 the Hot 100.
    I think it's so strange too. I mean, I'm sure she's happy to have had a breakthrough at all, but it's so bizarre that it all comes from her older album. I can't think of something like this ever happening before - where the first album catches fire and outpaces the newer release.

• Ah, "Underneath Your Clothes" takes me back! I think I preferred it to "Whenever, Wherever" back in the day, but I haven't revisited it or "Objection (Tango)" in far too long.
    Shakira came so close to the third #1! She was #2 for three weeks behind Bonnie! I actually think Underneath Your Clothes gets more recurrent play for me than any of her other songs because my car karaoke moments with it are pure magic.

Thanks again for your comments, guys

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Tue September 17th, 2019, 13:44

Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 21:

• Third time's the charm! After Me and The Archer fell short, Lover has now become Taylor Swift's first top ten since Look What You Made Me Do.
    • The top five remains almost the same, but gets a jolt of testosterone with Lauv co-leading with Anne-Marie
    • It's been awhile since four songs debuted at once - led by Fitz and the Tantrums who last appeared during the summer of 2016 with Complicated.

What an odd top five in 2003 - This is one of two songs Linkin Park had that peaked at #2 - the highest they ever achieved (New Divide in 2009 was the other.) And Junior Senior was riding high at #1 - I believe the Senior part of the DJ act was the first openly gay person to top this list.

Elvis had his lone entry with a Paul Oakenfold remix. But the only one of these I really ever circle back to is probably obvious. Beyonce was riding high with Baby Boy, which would follow Crazy in Love to #1.

Legend
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)

by » Tue September 17th, 2019, 18:05

Good to see Lizzo.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Wed September 18th, 2019, 00:05

I think it's so strange too. I mean, I'm sure she's happy to have had a breakthrough at all, but it's so bizarre that it all comes from her older album. I can't think of something like this ever happening before - where the first album catches fire and outpaces the newer release.
    **Nod** I haven't combed through chart archives for other examples, but I imagine it would've been even harder/nearly impossible for this kind of situation to happen before the digital era, since labels would've stopped printing singles that initially flopped like "Good As Hell" and "Truth Hurts" after their original release (so people couldn't have randomly started buying them in droves 2+ years later, unless the label decided to formally re-release them). Although "Juice" was done dirty by the American public, there's a cool "power to the people" aspect to her breakthrough this year, with listeners choosing to embrace these older singles despite her team trying to push newer songs.

Shakira came so close to the third #1! She was #2 for three weeks behind Bonnie! I actually think Underneath Your Clothes gets more recurrent play for me than any of her other songs because my car karaoke moments with it are pure magic.
    Bonnie strikes again! Also, "Underneath Your Clothes" is a MIGHTY intimate song to be singing in your car at the top of your lungs That must be either incredibly arousing - or incredibly awkward - for your passengers "...there's my territory, and all the things I deserRrRve, for being such a good girl, HUNAYYYYY!"

• Lauv can give me a jolt of testosterone anytime.
    • Ecstatic over "Lover"s Top 10 ascension!
    • Speaking of Top 10 climbs, your timing is perfect with "Someone You Loved," since it just (finally) entered that tier on the Hot 100 too!
    • Usually I'd be more concerned about such an underwhelming start for a new Ari single, but "Don't Call Me Angel" isn't doing a ton for me either.
    • "Baby Boy" was so massive at the time, but it feels kind of forgotten now (especially for a nine-week-Hot 100-No. 1). Granted, I guess that's partially due to her having released so many iconic singles since then. "Check On It" is in a similar boat.

Yet another chart that tells it like it is, CT!

Legend
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

by » Wed September 18th, 2019, 03:21

I expect to see Kween’s In The Mix on the chart next week.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Wed September 18th, 2019, 21:43

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Good to see Lizzo.
    I am in the midst of compiling my Halloween playlist for October and I lowkey added Good As Hell which should help it come October.

I expect to see Kween’s In The Mix on the chart next week.
    I didn't even know she was doing this song. It sounds right out of the 90s. I don't know how I feel about the kids with all the "YAYYYY US." They should drop it. I'm not really a fan of kids singing

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Wed September 18th, 2019, 22:10

Although "Juice" was done dirty by the American public, there's a cool "power to the people" aspect to her breakthrough this year, with listeners choosing to embrace these older singles despite her team trying to push newer songs.
    Hmm, that's an interesting point. Music has really been democratized through Spotify. Just six or seven years ago, radio had a lot more pull on the charts. In some ways, I miss music on the radio. There was always something kind of fun and expected when a song you liked randomly got played. But anymore, if I'm stuck in my car without my phone, I flip endlessly through radio stations looking for something I like.

Bonnie strikes again! Also, "Underneath Your Clothes" is a MIGHTY intimate song to be singing in your car at the top of your lungs That must be either incredibly arousing - or incredibly awkward - for your passengers "...there's my territory, and all the things I deserRrRve, for being such a good girl, HUNAYYYYY!"
    YASSS, and you just inspired to pull it up and sing it again And yes that would intimidate any passengers, but car karaoke tends to be a solo project. I'm no James Corden. And Bonnie generally kills it all the time. I'd probably talk about her more on here, but UKmix isn't here for her. She's #4 for most total weeks at #1, and now tied for most #1s.

• Lauv can give me a jolt of testosterone anytime.
    I RAN to look him up - I've never known what he looks like. Looks like I'll have to get in line.

• Ecstatic over "Lover"s Top 10 ascension!
    It's been awhile since I liked a Taylor song this much - I think Blank Space was the last one I embraced like this.

• Speaking of Top 10 climbs, your timing is perfect with "Someone You Loved," since it just (finally) entered that tier on the Hot 100 too!
    Did it? I need to check this week's chart! It lingered so long just outside of the top 10, I thought he'd miss his chance. I'm thrilled he pushed through.

• Usually I'd be more concerned about such an underwhelming start for a new Ari single, but "Don't Call Me Angel" isn't doing a ton for me either.
    SIGHHH, I just don't know with this song. I actually LOVE the metallic plinkiness of the background. Like a lot! It's actually more of a selling point for me than the vocals, but I don't know... it feels kind of phoned in from Ariana. I never thought I'd say this because I really have never been into her, but Lana is the stand-out more than the other two for me. However, it annoys me that they all solo during this - where's the unity of Independent Women? Charlie's Angels are supposed to be a team!

Thanks, as always for commenting

Legend
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

by » Wed September 18th, 2019, 22:51

I didn't even know she was doing this song. It sounds right out of the 90s. I don't know how I feel about the kids with all the "YAYYYY US." They should drop it. I'm not really a fan of kids singing
    If you’re not gonna chart In The Mix, can you at least rechart GOAT since there’s a new acapella version out?

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Thu September 19th, 2019, 15:41

LOL, where did that come from? Looks like it's fan released?

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by » Sat September 21st, 2019, 20:04

Great to see "Hot Girl Summer" climb into the top 5! I'm excited to see how much further it can go here.

I'm glad you like Blithe. I've just started listening to another song by her called Masochistic, and I'm thinking she is a great discovery.
    I just checked out "Masochistic". I like it!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

by » Sat September 21st, 2019, 22:07

OMG Move Your Feet and Faint bring back so many memories!

Would be amazing to see Torn growing

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Sun September 22nd, 2019, 15:08

Great to see "Hot Girl Summer" climb into the top 5! I'm excited to see how much further it can go here.

I just checked out "Masochistic". I like it!
    Your taste is flawless
    I wish I had good news for Hot Girl Summer, but well, you'll see the next chart...

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE+FEAR View Post
    OMG Move Your Feet and Faint bring back so many memories!

Would be amazing to see Torn growing
    I do have good news for Torn!

And those songs, gosh, I remember watching them on MTV and that was around the time I started to disengage form the network. Carson Daly stopped doing TRL, and MTV got further and further away from videos - I mean, it had been for a long time already. Then YouTube came around and I don't think I ever saw a video on MTV after that.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Sun September 22nd, 2019, 15:19

I'll post the next chart on the new page.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by » Sun September 22nd, 2019, 15:53

Chart Notes:

For the week ending Sep. 28:

• It's a 4th week at #1 for Rebecca Levy. it's the 4th song this year to hit 4 weeks - three of them have been by Brits (Jack Savoretti and Shingai are the other two.) The other, Lolo Zouai, is American, but born in France. So, a great turnaround for Brits following 2018 - a year in which no Brit acts had #1 for themselves (Bastille was featured on Happier, and Labrinth had to share space with Sia and Diplo.) and had four weeks total at #1.
    • Unfortunately @JSparksFan Hot Girl Summer drops out of the top ten this week. I still love the song, but overplayed it to the point of burnout. And it is now officially autumn, so maybe it was its time anyway. (Summer Days by Martin Garrix, dropped from the top ten completely out of the chart last week.)
    • While Summer Days dropped from #9 last week, Cameron Hawthorn drops out from #8 this week. That might be the biggest drop out of the chart this year.

So this week in 2004, my computer unexpectedly died and I thought I lost all my personal charts for good as I had no back-up. One of my tech friends somehow managed to save all the data, or you'd have no retro charts of the early years today. At the time, I tried to match Billboard's date. They would release on Thursday with a chart ending date of the following week. I changed it during this time as I missed a week anyhow, so the chart ends the same week I post it.

In any case, this chart saw the ascendance of the Scissor Sisters, who exploded to #1 and stayed there. It ended being the #2 song of the year (Incredibly, they'd have the #2 song of the year two years later with I Don't Feel Like Dancin', their only other #1.)

Two acts saw their final song to chart in this top five - Fatboy Slim, an early superstar of the chart - he was the first act to achieve five #1s and in the early years had the most weeks at #1 (28). Alicia Keys was the first to get the 6th #1 in 2009, and Eminem surpassed the week total in 2010.

Destiny's Child had their 4th and final top ten this week too with Lose My Breath, coincidentally a song that just got eliminated in my Homecoming Survivor today (shameless plug if you've read this far.)

So, if you've read this far, I will reward you by sharing some news! As you may know, a very exciting announcement on UKMix happened this month for me. No, not the mod thing... it's that I shared we finally decided we were ready for a dog again and adopted one from the shelter. She looks a lot like Sadie and she is 4 years old. She is very affectionate, shy, and thinks Science Dog Food is complete trash. Here is a picture of her

20190910_151545.jpg