Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Season 2019

by » Fri January 27th, 2017, 18:40

I was rooting for Dimitrov

My diehard federer stanning doesn't want to deal with another disappointment on sunday
    The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.

by » Sat January 28th, 2017, 11:04

Well done Serena, 23 GS titles .. now that the open era record is hers, she will come for Margaret Court

and she hasn't lost a set during the tournament.
    The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.

Legend
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

by » Sat January 28th, 2017, 11:06

In fact, if Serena is in form there is still no competition for her at all.
    Waffles are checked cookies

by » Sat January 28th, 2017, 15:37

Yea she Steffi arguement is slowly becoming meh!

One more French and really her record will be DOPE AF
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

by » Sat January 28th, 2017, 16:07

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru
    Yea she Steffi arguement is slowly becoming meh!
    Actually if Serena avoids injuries and stays focused on Grand Slams, this season can be her magnum opus

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 12:56

Monica seles >>>>>>>> steffi

If there was.no stabbing, monica would have become the greatest
    "Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 13:19

OMG CONGRATS ROGER

WHAT A DRAMATIC EPIC ENDING

THIS IS HIS SWEETEST WIN EVER FOR ME

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 13:19

Congrats to federer.

Although i felt the crowd was against nadal.....

Mariah Carey

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 13:23

Can't we have Serena and Roger play each other?
    Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 13:24

Quote Originally Posted by Formusic
    OMG CONGRATS ROGER

WHAT A DRAMATIC EPIC ENDING

THIS IS HIS SWEETEST WIN EVER FOR ME
    I still feel like if only Nadal had the first service, he could have won the finals.
    Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 13:58

Nadal had more than 70 percentage of this first service, while Federer about 60%.

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:05

Nadal seems slower to me.

At his peak, he was 1-2 steps quicker on the court. He was able to get so many balls back into play and stay in rallys longer

Mariah Carey

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:11

Quote Originally Posted by SmartIsNewSexy
    Nadal seems slower to me.

At his peak, he was 1-2 steps quicker on the court. He was able to get so many balls back into play and stay in rallys longer
    He is slower and reluctant to play long rallies, he´s far from his marathon man days as he´s too fearful to be injured again. Besides, he was lackin power and intensity today, let´s not forget he played 5 hours just 2 days ago and Federer had one more rest day. Still, I´m shocked he let a 3/1 lead in the fifth set go against a player he dominates. Congratulations to Federer anyway as he played superb, specially with his serve.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:14

Regarding the first sentence, absolute truth. To me, what Navratilova did (about 170 singles titles and more than 300 with doubles) is unparalleled, she´s the GOAT in my opinion, but who am I if experts say GS is what it counts.

Legend
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:28

well done Roger. So deserved. I want him to win the calender year Grand Slam this season. It would be magical.

Also congrats to Serena who only needed to play 5 more seasons than Graf in order to surpass her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 14:58

Quote Originally Posted by Juancito75

Regarding the first sentence, absolute truth. To me, what Navratilova did (about 170 singles titles and more than 300 with doubles) is unparalleled, she´s the GOAT in my opinion, but who am I if experts say GS is what it counts.
    well, 107 title wins for Graf are nothing to be ashamed of:

1986 - 8
    1987 - 11 1 GS + 2 Finals
    1988 - 11 4 GS
    1989 - 14 3 GS + 1 Final
    -- that was before Seles became a thing --

1990 - 10 1 GS + 2 Finals
    1991 - 7 1 GS
    1992 - 8 1 GS + 1 Final

-- POST Seles --
    1993 - 10 3 GS + 1 Final
    1994 - 7 1 GS + 1 Final
    1995 - 9 3 GS
    1996 - 7 3 GS

-- Graf's injury years :: + hiatus --
    1997 - 1 0 GS
    1998 - 3 0 GS

-- Graf's return --
    1999 - 1 1 GS + 1 Final

-- Graf reached 13 consecutive GS Finals vs. Seles only reached 6
    -- Graf had a down time during Seles' Prime (if you can call 3 wins and 3 finals + 25 titles in total a downtime)
    -- in spring of 1998 Graf was not ranked on the WTA rankings anymore due to not having played for 12 months... by year's end she was #9 again.

I will never stop praising her achievements because she is the GREATEST German human who has ever lived and the most popular German in Germany of all times.

to all the haters who claim Seles' superiority, let's recap how many times Graf and Seles have met

1989: 3:0
    French Open SF: Graf beats Seles 6:3, 3:6, 6:3
    Wimbledon R16: Graf beats Seles 6:0, 6:1
    Brighton Final: Graf beats Seles 7:5, 6:4

1990: 0:2
    Berlin Final: Seles beats Graf 6:4, 6:3
    French Open: Seles beats Graf 7:6, 6:4

1991: 2:0
    San Antonio Final: Graf beats Seles 6:4, 6:3
    Hamburg Final: Graf beats Seles 7:5, 6:7, 6:3

1992: 1:1
    French Open Final: Seles beats Graf 6:2, 3:6, 10:8
    Wimbledon Final: Graf beats Seles 6.2, 6:1

1993: 0:1
    Australian Open Final: Seles beats Graf 4:6, 6:3, 6:2

So during Seles' prime they only met 10 times and Graf won 6 matches, Seles won 4. If anything this analysis shows that Graf had a rocky 1990-1992 in which she would not play too well on GS.. Of all her 9 GS singles titles, Seles beat Graf only on 3 occasions.

Legend
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 15:00

Or maybe not.
    Congrats to Roger, a great start of the season so far.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 15:28

You can write an essay as long as you want but right after 93AusOpen, very few thought Steffi could win more than one of two GS, and that included her fans, which is why one of them stabbed Seles, in Hamburg. She was only 19, and reached the final of all the GS she played from 91 Ausopen to 93Ausopen and lost only once. That was domination, plus the facts that: 1.-she was so young and improving and 2.-Graf easily dominated again after one of her fans injured Seles says that very likely MS would have dominated the following years until 96 or 97. I won´t go as far as saying Monica would be the GOAT cause she could have retired young like Borg. It doesn´t matter anyway, Graf is out of consideration for GOAT as Serena broke her GS open record (absolute record still belongs to Margaret Court).

Legend
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 16:03

Quote Originally Posted by Juancito75
    You can write an essay as long as you want but right after 93AusOpen, very few thought Steffi could win more than one of two GS, and that included her fans, which is why one of them stabbed Seles, in Hamburg. She was only 19, and reached the final of all the GS she played from 91 Ausopen to 93Ausopen and lost only once. That was domination, plus the facts that: 1.-she was so young and improving and 2.-Graf easily dominated again after one of her fans injured Seles says that very likely MS would have dominated the following years until 96 or 97. I won´t go as far as saying Monica would be the GOAT cause she could have retired young like Borg. It doesn´t matter anyway, Graf is out of consideration for GOAT as Serena broke her GS open record (absolute record still belongs to Margaret Court).
    there is no reasonable way of saying who the best or greatest player of all times is. Thinking about it, there are just too many parameters and statustics to consider.

I mean is it no achievement to reach 13 consecutive Grand Slam singles finals like Graf did from 1987-1990? That means a player has reached all 4 major finals in at least 3 consecutive years. Imagine something like this happening today? Tennis experts would go crazy.

Is it no achievement to win 167 singles tournaments? I mean Many of the absolute greats haven't reached that when you combined their careers.. one would almost need the entire career of Graf and Serena combined to reach that. If something like this happened today, the tennis world would go crazy.

Is it no achievement to play for over 20 years and win a GS singles title at age 35 and 4 months of age?

Is it no achievement to win all 4 majors at least 4 times?

Is it no achievement to win the French Open 7 times? Or Wimbledon 9 times? etc?

Is it no achievement to be stabbed and then return, winning a Masters and reach a GS final in 1 month?

Is it no achievement to be called a Wunderkind, beating the world #2 at Olympia, then become a druggie only to return a decade later and become #1 in the world and win 3 majors?

Is it no achievement to become a professional at 12? Or to be ranked in the top 20 at age 14? Or to win Wimbledon at age 16?

All this XY is the best because of XY achievement and therefore all the others don't matter at all talk is so dumb.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 16:10

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    well done Roger. So deserved. I want him to win the calender year Grand Slam this season. It would be magical.
    The same thought crossed my mind!
    Fantastic to see him win another Grand Slam!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 16:16

Kind of agree, but that´s why probably most experts agree on GS titles. Even Sampras was called it GOAT even as he only won only one singles clay event (never RG). So for most experts will be Federer and Serena. I´d say Connors and Navratilova, both of whom not only won the most championship matches in ATP and WTA but also played in highly competitive eras (Connors had Borg, Mc Enroe and Lendl, Old Navy had Evert, Austin).

Superstar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 20:03

Queen Serena and King Roger <3 What a dream <3

Love him, but Roger will NOT win all 4 majors this year. He played amazingly well throughout the AO and it's super well deserved, but Murray and Djokovic were knocked out in Week 1. We'll see how things pan out.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 20:06

The GOAT debate is pointless and subjective (but I think most would agree it's Serena).

It's sad to see people try to discredit Graf the way they are. She was an absolutely phenomenal athlete.

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 14:19

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLover88
    The GOAT debate is pointless and subjective (but I think most would agree it's Serena).

It's sad to see people try to discredit Graf the way they are. She was an absolutely phenomenal athlete.

I agree with this although I am shocked to see how a tennis 2017 thread has most of Steffi's achievements in.

This is a time to celebrate the vintage era but not THAT far back.

An absolutely phenomenal set of finals. I was in tears after both.
    My favourite 4 brought some sunshine to the game for so long.
    This Australian (closely followed by the 2016 Wimbledon WTA) has been my favourite tournament forever.
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Legend
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 23:57

my favourite tennis tournament of all times is the French Open.

among Grand Slams i'd rank them like this:

01 - French Open
    02 - Us Open
    03 - Wimbledon
    04 - Australian Open

I feel like Hingis devalued the AO... it seems like everyone can win that one whereas only the legends can win the French Open. Wimbledon is hit n miss cause there are so few grass court tournaments, while the US Open are the ones with most prize money and best crowd.