Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Season 2019

by » Tue January 31st, 2017, 17:38

The French open is by far the worst IMO.
    A lot of players would agree.
    Awful facilities which make it so dangerous if it rains.
    2016 was a terrible tournament by everyone's standards.
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

by » Tue January 31st, 2017, 18:04

Quote Originally Posted by aaliyahman
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicLover88
    The GOAT debate is pointless and subjective (but I think most would agree it's Serena).

It's sad to see people try to discredit Graf the way they are. She was an absolutely phenomenal athlete.

I agree with this although I am shocked to see how a tennis 2017 thread has most of Steffi's achievements in.

This is a time to celebrate the vintage era but not THAT far back.

An absolutely phenomenal set of finals. I was in tears after both.
    My favourite 4 brought some sunshine to the game for so long.
    This Australian (closely followed by the 2016 Wimbledon WTA) has been my favourite tournament forever.
    Well, the GOAT discussion came up so Graf is bound to be included.....

I agree though, it was a terrific final 4, some of the greatest athletes we'll see in our lifetimes.

by » Wed February 1st, 2017, 07:07

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    well done Roger. So deserved. I want him to win the calender year Grand Slam this season. It would be magical.

Also congrats to Serena who only needed to play 5 more seasons than Graf in order to surpass her.
    Look deep down you know that Serena is a touch better. Steffi herself knows it.

the end
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2017, 17:43

The French open is by far the worst IMO.
    A lot of players would agree.
    Awful facilities which make it so dangerous if it rains.
    2016 was a terrible tournament by everyone's standards.
    The French Open is a mental and physical challenge. I hope Rafa is going to be in form to be a contender for the title.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Tue February 7th, 2017, 04:31

Would you agree that Serena should be declared as the greatest tennis player?

cos i dont. Im not trying to be sexist here but the reason why a lot of sports are being separated by gender is because men are better on physical activities.

There are other fields that women are better.

Federer has really shown great skills, backing up him winning the most titles among men. And eventhough nadal had more winds against Federer, usually the last game matters most and Federer won on their latest game.

So Federer is the greatest tennis player.
    Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs

by » Tue February 7th, 2017, 18:09

I think your reasoning is stupid to be honest.

Men and women do have naturally different bodies and therefore limits. By your reasoning a man would ALWAYS be best at something that is based on physicality. That isn't true.

The men have had to compete with other men. When a man gets as many accolades as Serena has, then they can be compared.

Amongst women I think Serena is the greatest of all time.

Amongst all that remains to be seen. If anyone can match her singles and doubles wins in slams and legacy then they can have a chance. Serena hasn't always been dominant but she has always been the most 'dangerous' for most of her career.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Sun February 12th, 2017, 02:57

Just a quick bump to say I am SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY with the outcome from the 2017 AO!!

The two finals were legendary, we are so privileged to have witnessed those 4 players at their primes. To have both my faves Serena get to 23 and Federer get to 18 at the same slam, and the AO of all places was amazing.

I must say that after the fourth set, I didn't think Federer had it in him to clinch the win... I'd seen him get to that stage and then fade too many over the past few years but the grit and determination was spectacular to watch. I was leaping around my room when he broke back in the fifth and then broke again to take the lead. The level of tennis was great throughout IMO and it felt like it could go either way to the very end which made it so exciting.

Also, I actually finally went and saw the AO in person for the first time this year which made it even better!! We went during the middle weekend and saw some spectacular matches.... Nadal vs Zverev (he's one to watch!!), Makarova vs Cibulkova, Tsonga vs Jack Sock, Wawrinka vs Seppi, Dimitrov vs Gasquet, Gavrilova vs Bacsinszky..... We also saw both Serena and Venus play but unfortunately their matches were disappointing because they were up against easy opponents. Sadly, we didn't get to see Federer play but we caught him on the practice courts which was still pretty crazy! The crowds were insane, we got their an hour early and we were still approximately 3 or 4 people from the front!
    Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sat February 18th, 2017, 05:05

Men and women do have naturally different bodies and therefore limits. By your reasoning a man would ALWAYS be best at something that is based on physicality. That isn't true.

The men have had to compete with other men. When a man gets as many accolades as Serena has, then they can be compared.

Amongst all that remains to be seen. If anyone can match her singles and doubles wins in slams and legacy then they can have a chance. Serena hasn't always been dominant but she has always been the most 'dangerous' for most of her career.
    but the greatest has to be at least arguably the best. Do you think Serena can have as many titles as she have right now if she doesnt play against female players only but play against male tennis players too?
    Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs

Legend
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 23:38

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR

but the greatest has to be at least arguably the best. Do you think Serena can have as many titles as she have right now if she doesnt play against female players only but play against male tennis players too?
    serena would have never won a tournament had she to play a male. (no female wud tho)

by » Thu February 23rd, 2017, 19:52

I'm so excited for Wozniacki's great return to form! Reaching a final last week and very well another final this week is amazing! I think that her current level will give her a great chance in a potential final against Kerber or Svitolina. Though I'm afraid that she will be a bit tired in a potential final, as it would be her 11th match in about the same number of days...

by » Sat February 25th, 2017, 19:11

Your logic is wrong.

By your assumption, the greatest in most sports would always HAVE to be a man.

If you are arguably the greatest amongst all women and you have 23 Slams etc etc. Then the Male who would arguably be the greatest would have to have achieved the same amongst the males as Serena has amongst females. Or gone through an incredibly dominant period i.e. #1 for 5 years etc.

I didn't follow men's tennis as a child only the past 10 years or so.
    For the fans of male tennis, who has the most slams? Is it around the 23 mark or much higher?

by » Sat February 25th, 2017, 19:12

Quote Originally Posted by emilhot
    I'm so excited for Wozniacki's great return to form! Reaching a final last week and very well another final this week is amazing! I think that her current level will give her a great chance in a potential final against Kerber or Svitolina. Though I'm afraid that she will be a bit tired in a potential final, as it would be her 11th match in about the same number of days...

I love that Wozniacki is back, it really is lovely to see the renaissance of some players!

She's in the final!

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon February 27th, 2017, 09:50

Your logic is wrong.

By your assumption, the greatest in most sports would always HAVE to be a man.

If you are arguably the greatest amongst all women and you have 23 Slams etc etc. Then the Male who would arguably be the greatest would have to have achieved the same amongst the males as Serena has amongst females. Or gone through an incredibly dominant period i.e. #1 for 5 years etc.

I didn't follow men's tennis as a child only the past 10 years or so.
    For the fans of male tennis, who has the most slams? Is it around the 23 mark or much higher?
    Unless a woman beats a man, then yes. Serena as the greatest female tennis player sounds right rather than the greatest tennis player for both sexes.

Would it be fair if a female weightlifter becomes the greatest weightlifter just because of having more title wins when there are hundreds of men who can lift heavier than the what the female weightlifter had lifted?

For your other question, federer has the most slams, with

by » Mon February 27th, 2017, 20:59

Well then, I completely disagree and I think your logic is infantile.

Also, explain this article;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... a-rio-2016

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Tue February 28th, 2017, 13:29

Well then, I completely disagree and I think your logic is infantile.

Also, explain this article;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... a-rio-2016
    It's gymnastics which two or more people just needs to show off their gymnastic skills. strnegth and speed doesnt really matter but execution and accuracy. Another example would be bowling, golf and archery. I know there are more examples but i dont want think think further.

Its not like basketball, boxing, running, tennis, wieghtlifting,etc.

by » Wed March 1st, 2017, 16:55

Wow you are ignorant. You've said enough to look stupid. Let's quit while you're behind.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

by » Wed March 1st, 2017, 17:24

And one of the greatest athletes sport has EVER seen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 09:38

Speechless after Murray's win yesterday. That's why he is world number 1!

Legend
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

by » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 16:40

Kyrgios beat Djokovic, which is also an interesting result
    Waffles are checked cookies

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed March 8th, 2017, 07:00

Wow you are ignorant. You've said enough to look stupid. Let's quit while you're behind.
    I dont really know what your stand is but did you mean games should be separate between men and women?

by » Wed March 8th, 2017, 14:09

Gutted Serena has had to withdraw from IW and Miami.

Kerber will be back to number one, by default.
    Hopefully she will win both tournaments so it won't look like a hollow placing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Thu March 9th, 2017, 21:31

Only Steffi ever won both in the same year (among Germans), Kerber will drop out in the second round and maybe QF on each. Pliskova will win one of them and be ready to take the #1 come April/May.

by » Fri March 10th, 2017, 16:27

I hope it pays off... i don't think she will take the French open tbh
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

by » Fri March 10th, 2017, 23:27

Idk what's wrong with Angie, but she's been playing horribly lately, there's no way she'll win anything. Same for Bouchard.