User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#018)

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 29-10-17, 19:39

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Kanye West - arguably the greatest rapper of all-time, and probably my all-time favourite hip/hop act
    Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that
    I am positive that Kanye also thinks so.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 31-10-17, 07:18

Sade is an English band formed around lead singer Sade Adu. The band released their first single 'Your Love Is King' in 1984, followed by their debut album 'Diamond Life'. Their debut became an instant classic, also because it includes one of their most iconic songs: 'Smooth Operator'. The band later scored big hits with songs as 'The Sweetest Taboo' and 'No Ordinary Love'.

'Lovers Rock' is my favourite Sade album. The album was released in 2001 and is pure perfection. It's the band's best work, because it still sounds so current after all those years. 'Lovers Rock' contains some of my favourite Sade tracks including the underrated 'King Of Sorrow' and 'Flow'.

My favourite Sade songs:

01. King Of Sorrow
    02. By Your Side
    03. Smooth Operator
    04. Soldier Of Love
    05. The Moon & Sky
    06. Sweetest Taboo
    07. No Ordinary Love
    08. Cherish The Day
    09. Lovers Rock
    10. Kiss Of Life

11. Flow
    12. Immigrant
    13. Still In Love With You
    14. Your Love Is King
    15. Paradise
    16. Babyfather
    17. Feel No Pain
    18. Love Is Stronger Than Pride
    19. Love Is Found
    20. Every Word

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 03-11-17, 15:44

I first heard of Mary J. Blige when I saw the video for 'As' on MTV. I remember really liking the video of her and George Michael dancing in a bar. Then, a couple of months later, I saw the video for 'All That I Can Say', also on MTV. Really liked that one too. I guess Mary grabbed my attention with those releases, because I started to follow her musical career afterwards. She completely won me over when she released the Wyclef Jean duet '911'. What a great song!

I remember walking in the record store when I saw the cd single of 'Family Affair'. I hadn't heard the song yet, but I was she excited about a new Mary J song, that I immediately bought the single. When I came home, I heard the song for the first time and I was blown away. I'd say that 'Family Affair' is one of the best party songs of the last 20 years. Whenever I hear it, I want to go out and party. Such an anthem.

'Family Affair' was the lead single of what became my favourite Mary J. Blige album. 'No More Drama' is a classic. The title track is immense. The song helped me through rough times and has become very special to me. I can't listen to it without feeling nostalgic. Such a powerful song. I love Mary for releasing it. It's her absolute best.

After 'No More Drama' Mary released many great songs and a couple of really good album. 'The Breakthrough' is the last Mary album I played to death (Her version of 'One' is superior to U2's solo version by the way. Sorry not sorry). Afterwards, I feel like she's been delivering 'okay albums'. But nothing really stands out anymore. That said, the woman has delivered so many classics, she's got nothing left to prove. I'm just happy she keeps on releasing new music.

My favourite Mary J. Blige songs:

01. No More Drama
    02. Family Affair
    03. Love @ First Sight (+ Method Man)
    04. 911 (+ Wyclef Jean)
    05. As (+ George Michael)
    06. All That I Can Say
    07. One (+ U2)
    08. Come Close (+ Common)
    09. Work That (+ Busta Rhymes)
    10. Be Without You

11. Dance With Me (+ Common)
    12. Whole Dam Year
    13. Not Today (+ Eve)
    14. Right Now
    15. Give Me You
    16. Can't Hide From Luv (+ Jay-Z)
    17. Rainy Days (+ Ja Rule)
    18. Real Love
    19. Enough Cryin'
    20. Grown Woman (+ Ludacris)

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-11-17, 22:53

Mary J. Blige has some terrific classics to her name. I don't think she'll ever top "Be Without You" for me, but "It's Me" on her last album showed me she's still got it. When I did my all-time fave acts countdown a few years ago, Mary J. ranked similarly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-11-17, 22:55

Yasss, so much love for Sade!

My #1 is your #2!

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-11-17, 07:49

I love Alanis Morissette for her honest lyrics. She's a genius songwriter, more so than a singer - to be honest. She has a good voice, but it's the lyrics and meaning of the songs that made me love her more. She seems raw and pure and she's definitely one who's not afraid to speak her mind. I love that.

I can admit 'Jagged Little Pill' is her best record. It's a true classic. It is not my favourite Alanis record though, as 'Under Rug Swept' is very special to me. 'Hands Clean' is easily the best thing she's ever done. A special song to me as well.

My favourite Alanis Morissette songs:

01. Hands Clean
    02. You Oughta Know
    03. Thank U
    04. Ironic
    05. Guardian
    06. Utopia
    07. Hand In My Pocket
    08. Not As We
    09. That I Would Be Good
    10. Uninvited

11. Precious Illusions
    12. Head Over Feet
    13. Big Sur
    14. Joining You
    15. Surrendering
    16. Eight Easy Steps
    17. 21 Things I Don't Want In A Lover
    18. King Of Pain
    19. Receive
    20. Unsent

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-11-17, 06:17

Cuban singer Gloria Estefan has been around as long as I can remember. My parents listened to her songs when I was younger, quite a lot. Growing up I discovered her rich discography and started to listen to her music myself. And I till do, quite often. I love Gloria's voice, especially when she sings slower songs like 'Hoy'. My favourite songs are her uptempo songs though. She brings so much fire.

My favourite Gloria Estefan album is 'Gloria!'. That album includes my favourite single of hers: 'Oye!'. The music video for the song is iconic to me, because it reminds me of the late '90s when music videos were so much more fun. In my memory MTV played the video 24/7, but that's probably not true haha. Still, the song, Gloria's look and the scenery of the video are so typical for that era.

My favourite Gloria Estefan songs:

01. Oye!
    02. Hoy
    03. Conga
    04. Cuba Libre
    05. Wepa
    06. No Me Dejes De Querer
    07. Miss Little Havana
    08. No Llores
    09. Tu Fotografía
    10. Corazón Prohibido

11. Dr. Beat
    12. Right Away
    13. Como Me Duele Pederte
    14. Te Amaré
    15. Oye Mi Canto
    16. Get On Your Feet
    17. Mi Tierra
    18. Me Voy
    19. Reach
    20. Music Of My Heart (+ *NYSNC)

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-11-17, 06:39

I can't believe it's almost a year ago that George Michael died. I was really shocked to hear that he passed away at such a young age. On Christmas Day, of all days. I'm happy that George's legacy still lives on with the release of his posthumous album. I think it's important to keep playing his songs. He's made such an impact on the music industry and did so much for the LGBTQ community, that I think we owe him that.

Growing up in the '90s meant there was a lot of George Michael music being played on the radio. I have good memories of my childhood when I hear 'Freedom!'. It's such an iconic song. Also his later work such as 'Fastlove' and 'Freeek!' (which I think is criminally underrated) are still so good. I remember when the music video for 'Freeek!' got it's premiere on TMF and that the video was banned from MTV in other countries for being too explicit. I only understand half of what as going on in the video though.

You were an absolute genius George Michael. You are being missed.
    R.I.P.

My favourite George Michael songs:

01. Freedom '90
    02. Freeek!
    03. Fastlove
    04. Careless Whisper
    05. Faith
    06. As (+ Mary J. Blige)
    07. Outside
    08. Amazing
    09. If I Told You That (+ Whitney Houston)
    10. Flawless (Go To The City)

11. Fantasy
    12. Jesus To A Child
    13. I Want Your Sex
    14. Star People
    15. Father Figure
    16. Too Funky
    17. Spinning The Wheel
    18. White Light
    19. One More Try
    20. Roxanne

Legend
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-11-17, 10:10

I like a lot of Alanis’ songs - but I do struggle to listen to whole albums at a time.

I like Gloria’s greatest hits, but beyond that - not massively familiar with her music.

I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-11-17, 13:47

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3
    He definitely was something special. His discography is amazing.
    Thanks for commenting Wayne <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-11-17, 04:32

I have to admit that I didn't know much about George Michael or his music before his death, but subsequent to his passing, I've been through all his albums and found some genuine gems among them. He was a terrific artist, and will live on for at least a few more generations through his music.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-11-17, 07:50

I'm a big John Mayer fan. His voice is definitely one of my favourites out there. It's so soft and soulful and super sexy. I would totally melt if I'd ever see him performing live. He's one of the artists that I haven't seen perform and who's still on my wish list.

My favourite John Mayer album is hard to pick. It's between 'Heavier Things', 'Continuum' and 'Battle Studies'. It's the holy John Mayer trinity. There's just not a single weak song on those records. They are the perfect soundtrack for a lazy weekend at home.

There's really nothing more to say about John Mayer. I like his music very much. He's a great singer and he's super cute. I hope he continues to release good music.

My favourite John Mayer songs:

01. Daughters
    02. Clarity
    03. Heartbreak Warfare
    04. Your Body Is A Wonderland
    05. Assassin
    06. Dreaming With A Broken Heart
    07. Love On The Weekend
    08. XO
    09. Waiting On The World To Change
    10. In The Blood

11. Belief
    12. Edge Of Desire
    13. Shadow Days
    14. Queen Of California
    15. Vultures
    16. Paper Doll
    17. Who You Love (+ Katy Perry)
    18. Who Says
    19. Half Of My Heart (+ Taylor Swift)
    20. Perfectly Lonely

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-17, 12:56

Missy Elliott is a true icon and a pioneer in the world of hip-hop. The release of her Timbaland produced 'Supa Dupa Fly' debut album made a huge impact. The singles from the album, including 'The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)' and 'Hit 'Em With A Hee' instantly became classics. Her creative music videos always stand out, still today. The videos for 'She's A Bitch', 'Get Ur Freak On' and 'Work It' are among her best.

My favourite Missy Elliott album is 'Miss E.. So Addictive'. That record made me fall in love with Missy, especially because of 'Get Ur Freak On' (which is one of the all-time best party songs), 'Lick Shots' and 'One Minute Man'. 'Miss E' was one of the first records by a female rapper I bought, together with Eve's 'Scorpion' and Lil' Kim's 'The Notorious K.I.M.'

Besides releasing fantastic singles, Missy also shines on songs she features on. It's always nice to hear a new Missy verse, as she keeps it fresh. That's why I hope she will release another album one day. The singles she released over the past few years (being 'WTF (Where They From', 'Pep Rally' and 'I'm Better') maybe weren't among her best material, but are still very good tracks.

I would love for Missy to return with a new record to slay. I never understood why she never followed-up her 2005 'The Cookbook' album to be honest. Especially at times when female rap is doing quite good (Nicki, Cardi, Remy Ma) she should comeback to show everyone she's the original and that she's still got it.

My favourite Missy Elliott songs:

01. 4 My People (+ Eve)
    02. Get Ur Freak On
    03. All N My Grill (+ Nicol Gray & MC Solaar)
    04. Work It
    05. Pass That Dutch
    06. Lick Shots
    07. One Minute Man (+ Ludacris & Trina)
    08. She's A Bitch
    09. Can U Hear Me? (+ TLC)
    10. Hot Boyz (+ Lil' Mo + Eve, Nas & Q-Tip)

11. Hit 'Em With A Hee (+ Lil' Kim)
    12. Lose Control (+ Ciara & Fatman Scoop)
    13. Take Away (+ Ginnuwine & Tweet)
    14. Watch Gonna Do? (+ Timbaland)
    15. The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
    16. On & On (+ Pharrell)
    17. Gossip Folks (+ Ludacris)
    18. Beep Me 911 (+ 702 & Magoo)
    19. My Struggles (+ Mary J. Blige)
    20. Stickin' Chickens (+ Lil' Kim)

My favourite Missy Elliott features:

01. Make It Hot (+ Nicole Wray)
    02. I Want You Back (+ Melanie B)
    03. Oops (Oh My) (+ Tweet)
    04. Heartbreaker Remix (+ Mariah Carey & Da Brat)
    05. Son Of A Gun (+ Janet Jackson)
    06. Ugly (+ Blaque)
    07. 1, 2 Step (+ Ciara)
    08. Work (+ Ciara)
    09. Bounce (+ Timbaland + Justin Timberlake & Dr. Dre)
    10. (When Kim Say) Can You Hear Me Now? (+ Lil' Kim)

11. What's That Sound (+ Angie Martinez)
    12. BURNITUP! (+ Janet Jackson)
    13. Cop That Shit (+ Timbaland & Magoo)
    14. Let It Go (+ Keyshia Cole & Lil' Kim)
    15. In My Business (+ Whitney Houston)
    16. Car Wash (+ Christina Aguilera)
    17. Not Tonight (+ Lil' Kim, Left Eye & Angie Martinez
    18. Bootylicious Remix (+ Destiny's Child)
    19. The 1 (+ Janet Jackson)
    20. Wanna Be (+ Tamia)

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-17, 13:04

I wasn't a big fan of U2 before. It wasn't until they released 'Beautiful Day' in 2000 (I was 13 back then) when they first caught my attention. I loved the song, but couldn't really care about their discography. That's something that has changed over the years. Mainly because of the release of my favourite U2 song 'Electrical Storm' in 2002.

I can now really appreciate their music, both old and new material. My favourite U2 album is hard to pick, but I think I still like 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' the best. It's what they made me like them in the first place. I respect them for still making quality music after all these years. They always stick to their own sound and I don't think Bono and co. ever really sold out by releasing something to quickly cash in.

I'm excited for the new U2 album 'Songs Of Experience' too. The first singles 'You Are The Best Thing About Me' and 'Get Out Of Your Own Way' are nice. The album's promo single 'The Blackout' is the best thing from this project so far. I hope there's another more mellow song like 'Electrical Storm' on it too. That song is everything.

My favourite U2 songs:

01. Electrical Storm
    02. Beautiful Day
    03. Magnificent
    04. Staring At The Sun
    05. One (+ Mary J. Blige)
    06. With Or Without You
    07. I Still Haven't Found What I Was Looking For
    08. The Sweetest Thing
    09. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    10. Elevation

11. City Of Blinding Lights
    12. Ordinary Love
    13. Miss Sarajevo
    14. Every Breaking Wave
    15. Last Night On Earth
    16. Vertigo
    17. Where The Streets Have No Name
    18. Discothequé
    19. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
    20. Get On Your Boots

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-17, 13:43

Michelle Branch is mostly known for her smash debut single 'Everywhere' and her debut album 'The Spirit Room'. Her career took off with high speed, but somehow managed too crash down as quickly after the disappointed sales and lack of commercial success of her sophomore album 'Hotel Paper'. Instead of releasing a third album, Michelle collaborated with her longtime friend Jessica Harp and formed the country-pop duo The Wreckers. The duo released one phenomenal record titled 'Stand Still, Look Pretty', but the disappearance of solo Michelle didn't do her career any favour.

After The Wreckers split up, Michelle tried to re-launch her solo career with a new project 'West Coast Time'. The record got shelved and an EP 'Everything Comes And Goes' was released instead. It wasn't until 2017 when Michelle finally got to release her third solo album 'Hopeless Romantic'. The album wasn't a commercial success, but is one of the best records released this year. In my opinion.

I've been a huge Michelle Branch fan since the release of 'The Spirit Room'. The song 'All You Wanted' is very special to me. It's lyrics say more than a thousand words really. The album she did as The Wreckers, is one of my all-time favourites. I've played it over and over again. The title track is fantastic.

I think it's sad that talented artists like Michelle Branch can't seem to win. I was supposed to see her perform live in Amsterdam for the very first time. I was so excited, but because of issues between her and the label, the international tour was cancelled. I have no clue where her career wil go to after this. I hope she will somehow find an opportunity to release another album again. I really don't want to wait another 10+ years. She deserves so much more credit.

My favourite Michelle Branch songs:

01. All You Wanted
    02. Everywhere
    03. Loud Music
    04. Stand Still, Look Pretty (as The Wreckers)
    05. Are You Happy Now?
    06. Goodbye To You
    07. Hotel Paper
    08. Way Back Home (as The Wreckers)
    09. Hopeless Romantic
    10. The Game Of Love (+ Santana)

11. Till I Get Over You
    12. Breathe
    13. Tuesday Morning
    14. This Way
    15. City
    16. Leave The Pieces (as The Wreckers)
    17. Find Your Way Back To Me
    18. I'm Feeling You (as The Wreckers + Santana)
    19. You Get Me
    20. Fault Line

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-17, 14:44

Coldplay is arguably the biggest band out there right now. Ever since the release of their debut 'Parachutes' the British band around Chris Martin has dominating the charts. I became a Coldplay fan with the release of the 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends' album. From that era on I started stanning them and I also grew to like their old material. The only album from them I don't like is 'X&Y'. I simply can't get into it.

Coldplay is on top of the list of bands and artists I'd love to see perform. Somehow I never got the chance to see them, which is a real shame. I'd love to experience songs like 'A Sky Full Of Stars', 'Adventure Of A Lifetime' and 'Hymn For The Weekend' live. I hope I will get the chance one day.

I'm glad Coldplay changed their style a little bit over the years. Personally I like the sound they're going with now: it's more pop and fun but still very Coldplay. I love how they worked together with Beyoncé, Rihanna and Tove Lo on their songs. I hope they will release new music soon. I'd love a new album next year.

My favourite Coldplay songs:

01. Viva La Vida!
    02. A Sky Full Of Stars
    03. Hymn For The Weekend
    04. Clocks
    05. Adventure Of A Lifetime
    06. Everglow
    07. Trouble
    08. Atlas
    09. Paradise
    10. Lost!

11. Violet Hill
    12. Princess Of China (+ Rihanna)
    13. Ink
    14. Up&Up
    15. Yellow
    16. Magic
    17. Midnight
    18. Up In Flames
    19. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
    20. Fix You

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-11-17, 16:16

Even though i absolutely loved the Spice Girls, I always more of an All Saints fan. Natalie and Nicole Appleton, Shaznay Lewis and Melanie Blatt formed the best girl group the UK had to offer. With the release of their self-titled debut album All Saints put themselves on the map as the most mature group out of all the girl groups that were having success. Their sound wasn't easy bubblegum pop for teenagers, but more grown up. They created a perfect mix between pop and R&B and their songs actually had good lyrics. I think that's why - even after all these years - their early music (with a few exceptions) still sounds fresh.

Their debut is a classic, but my favourite All Saints album is the follow-up record 'Saints & Sinners'. For the album the girls worked together with one my favourite producers, William Orbit. I think they created some absolute magic together. 'Pure Shores' and 'Black Coffee' are amazing songs and were the perfect singles to release from the album. That said, I will never, ever understand why they' decided to go with 'All Hooked Up' as the third single. Especially over songs like 'Dreams', 'Surrender' or 'Distance'. A shame, because I feel the era could've been much bigger if the third single wouldn't have flopped.

After the 'Saints & Sinners' the band split up and sisters Natalie and Nicole released another album under the name Appleton. The album wasn't nearly as successful as any All Saints record, but I still love the album to death. I wish Appleton would've been bigger. I think the album is worth out checking, if you haven't heard it before. Songs like 'Don't Worry' and 'Everything Eventually' are amazing.

In 2006 All Saints reformed and released the, somewhat mediocre, album 'Studio 1'. The lead single 'Rock Steady' was a killer track, but again they made the mistake of releasing the wrong single. 'Chick Fit' wasn't it. In Ten years later the band released their fourth studio album 'Red Flag' which is much better than 'Studio 1'. 'One Strike' is the single they should've released in 2006 as their big comeback single. Rumor has it All Saints will release a fifth album in 2018. I can't wait.

My favourite All Saints songs:

01. Pure Shores
    02. Bootie Call
    03. Never Ever
    04. Under The Bridge
    05. Dreams
    06. Black Coffee
    07. One Strike
    08. Everything Eventually (as Appleton)
    09. Rock Steady
    10. War Of Nerves

11. Summer Rain
    12. This Is A War
    13. Don't Worry (as Appleton)
    14. Saints & Sinners
    15. Fantasy (as Appleton)
    16. Surrender
    17. Distance
    18. Red Flag
    19. I Know Where It's At
    20. Lady Marmalade

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 03:00

OMG so many great artists. I also like All Saints, "Studio 1" started off so well but they totally killed the moment with Chick Fit anyway didn't know they were supposed to release something next year, I'm totally up for it
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
    ?

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 09:48

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScorpion
    OMG so many great artists. I also like All Saints, "Studio 1" started off so well but they totally killed the moment with Chick Fit anyway didn't know they were supposed to release something next year, I'm totally up for it
    Thanks <3

Yes I know! 'Chick Fit' totally killed the era. I read about a new album coming 2018, but I can't seem to find that article anymore haha.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 11:32

Anouk is an absolute queen. The Dutch singer made her debut in 1996 with her debut album 'Together Alone' and has been on top of the game ever since. In 21 years Anouk has released 11 studio albums, two compilation albums and 5 live recordings. It's safe to say she did much more than she's known for outside of the Netherlands ('Nobody's Wife' and ESC single 'Birds'). Even though she changed her style from pop rock to more urban and blues, she's still delivering solid records.

My favourite Anouk album is simply too hard to pick. I love her debut 'Together Alone', because it includes some of her biggest hits - but I also really love 'Urban Solitude', 'Hotel New York' and 'For Bitter Or Worse'. Her least successful album 'Graduated Fool' also deserves a mention, because she experienced with a darker and more moody sound.

'Sad Sing-A-Long Songs', the album that contains the magnificent 'Birds' single, is a different piece of work and does really stand out in her discography. It's more of a concept album. Little songs, big vocals. I love it.

I hope Anouk will release another record next year to follow-up her two 2016 albums 'Queen For A Day' and 'Fake It Till We Die'. I'd love for her to return to a more pop rock sound for this record too. I miss rockstar Anouk.

My favourite Anouk songs:

01. Nobody's Wife
    02. Birds
    03. Places To Go
    04. Girl
    05. Good God
    06. Everything
    07. Michel
    08. Sacrifice
    09. The Dark
    10. New Day

11. For Bitter Or Worse
    12. R U Kidding Me
    13. Modern World
    14. What Have You Done
    15. Jerusalem
    16. Lost
    17. I Don't Wanna Hurt No More
    18. Three Days In A Row
    19. I Live For You
    20. Pretending As Always

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 11:52

When Lana Del Rey released her 'Born To Die' album, I was blown away. The album is one of those that defines an era for me. I'd say it's the best record that's released in the past 7 years. Every song on it is amazing and brings back many memories. I can't remember the last time I was so obsessed with an album. Must be Christina's 'Stripped', released in 2002. For releasing of 'Born To Die' alone, Lana will always be special to me.

Luckily Lana has been releasing more good albums after 'Born To Die'. No other record came close to the brilliance of her debut, but I'd say her latest record 'Lust For Life' is pretty amazing. I love how she really does her own thing and has her own style and sound. In my opinion she deserves much more success and credit for the body of work she has released.

My favourite Lana Del Rey songs:

01. This Is What Makes Us Girls
    02. Summertime Sadness
    03. Ride
    04. National Anthem
    05. West Coast
    06. Born To Die
    07. Blue Jeans
    08. Dark Paradise
    09. Off To the Races
    10. Video Games

11. Salvatore
    12. Summer Bummer (+ A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti)
    13. Love
    14. High By The Beach
    15. 13 Beaches
    16. Brooklyn Baby
    17. Cola
    18. Lust For Live (+ The Weekend)
    19. Music To Watch Boys To
    20. Shades Of Cool

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 21:59

John Mayer has some great songs in his catalogue. It was with "Who Says" that I really took notice of him.

Missy Elliott has some bops. "Get Ur Freak On" and "Work It" are my (predictable) faves from her.

U2 are probably a band I need to invest some time into discovering. I still don't quite get why they're held in such high esteem, but I'll explore their discography one of these days.

Ah, we share many of the same Coldplay faves. For me, their pop-leaning songs work best, and even though "Viva la Vida" was a non-event at the time of its release - in my books anyway - it's become one of my all-time favourite songs.

I really only know "One Strike" from All Saints, and that one is fantastic.

Born to Die was my #1 album of 2012, which was no small feat as it had to get past Unapologetic to get there. It was truly a big moment for pop music, that album, and Lana etched her name into the pop music fabric eternally with that LP. Subsequent releases, quite frankly, haven't been half as good.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-11-17, 22:52

Hi Benjamin

Wow, i've missed so much of this countdown already hat i've been catching up and making notes as i went along. Your top 100 so far is excellent, i love the vast majority of the acts featured so far.

Below are my favourite artists and i've also selected my absolute favourite song by them too.

100. Sugababes
    ??. TBC

99. The Corrs
    02. Breathless

98. Ed Sheeran
    07. Thinking Out Loud

97. Maroon 5
    01. Moves Like Jagger (+ Christina Aguilera)

96. Bruno Mars
    02. Uptown Funk (+ Mark Ronson)

95. The Cardigans
    03. LoveFool

94. En Vogue
    01. Don't Let Go (Love)

93. OneRepublic
    15. Apologize

90. Delta Goodrem
    06. Believe Again

89. Aerosmith
    01. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

87. Paolo Nutini
    03. Last Request

86. Sheryl Crow
    05. If It Makes You Happy

85. Outkast
    02. Hey Ya!

84. Daft Punk
    03. Get Lucky (+ Pharrell)

83. Robyn
    01. With Every Heartbeat

82. Goldfrapp
    01. Ooh La La

81. Kesha
    01. Tik Tok

80. Usher
    01. Yeah (+ Ludacris & Lil' Jon)

79. Katy Perry
    04. Hot N Cold

78. Justin Timberlake
    11. Can't Stop The Feeling!

77. Black Eyed Peas
    02. I Gotta Feeling

75. Macy Gray
    02. I Try

74. Amy Winehouse
    03. Rehab

73. Anastacia
    02. Left Outside Alone

71. Lauren Hill
    02. Killing Me Softly (Fugees)

70. Donna Summer
    16. This Time I Know It's For Real

69. Kelly Clarkson
    01. Since U Been Gone

68. Alicia Keys
    01. Fallin'

66. Santana
    01. Maria Maria (+ The G.B. Product + Wyclef Jean)

65. Dido
    06. White Flag

64. Jay-Z
    14. Empire State Of Mind (+ Alicia Keys)

62. Gwen Stefani
    09. The Sweet Escape

61. Ricky Martin
    03. Livin' La Vida Loca

59. Blondie
    04. Heart of Glass

58. Spice Girls
    01. Viva Forever

57. Kanye West
    17. All Of The Lights

56. Florence + The Machine
    02. Spectrum

55. Destiny’s Child
    ??. TBC

54. Eve
    02. Let Me Blow Ya Mind (+ Gwen Stefani)

53. Prince
    02. Purple Rain

52. Tina Turner
    02. The Best

51. Brandy
    02. The Boy Is Mine (+ Monica)

50. M.I.A.
    12. Paper Planes

49. Sophie Ellis Bextor
    01. Murder On The Dancefloor

47. Mary J Blige
    10. Be Without You

46. Alanis Morissette
    04. Ironic

44. George Michael
    04. Careless Whisper

42. Missy Elliott
    02. Get Ur Freak On

41. U2
    ??. Desire

39. Coldplay
    01. Viva La Vida!

38. All Saints
    01. Pure Shores

36. Lana Del Rey
    10. Video Games

In case you're wondering why i've written TBC for a couple of acts, those answers are still to be revealed in my top 100 COUNTDOWN.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 23-11-17, 07:24

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    I really only know "One Strike" from All Saints, and that one is fantastic.
    What! Really?
    Oh wow then I command you to listen to some of their older stuff. If you think 'One Strike' is fantastic, I'm sure you will love 'Pure Shores','Black Coffee' and 'Never Ever'.

Thanks for commenting JakeP. Interesting to read your favourites. I will definitely check out your countdown soon

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 23-11-17, 19:45

Now this may come as a shock, but Vanessa Carlton has released more songs than just 'A Thousand Miles'. In fact, ever since the release of her debut monster hit, the singer has released 5 studio albums and two live recordings. Vanessa has let go of her poppy piano sounds of her debut and switched to a more folky guitar driven sound on her last two albums 'Rabbits On The Run' and 'Liberman'. If you haven't heard these records, you should check it out.

My favourite Vanessa Carlton album is 'Rabbits On The Run'. It's a special little record. Vanessa stated that Stevie Nicks was an inspiration for this record. She and Stevie have become friends and the album's lead single 'Carousel' was later covered by Stevie. The song is fantastic and deserved to be a hit, like many of Carlton's songs.

It's a real shame Vanessa will always be the girl from 'A Thousand Miles'. The song is great - and a true classic - but honestly this girl has made so much more beautiful music. Do yourself a favour and go check it out.

My favourite Vanessa Carlton songs:

01. White Houses
    02. Nolita Fairytale
    03. A Thousand Miles
    04. Afterglow
    05. Carousel
    06. Blue Pool
    07. Willow
    08. I Don't Wanna Be A Bride
    09. Hear The Bells
    10. Ordinary Day

11. Dear California