Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 Reasons Why

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 22:51

After flying high off the success of the Best Picture winner Spotlight, director Tom McCarthy produced and directed a new Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why, based on Jay Asher‘s New York Times bestseller. McCarthy has directed for television before, having made the scrapped Game of Thrones pilot. The splendid storyteller behind Win Win and The Station Agent directed the first two episodes of 13 Reasons Why, a new drama following a group of high school kids after a tragedy.

The Selena Gomez-produced drama is about a high school student, Hannah Baker (Katherine Lanford), who tragically committed suicide. She recorded tapes explaining the 13 reasons why she did it, which she left for Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette), a classmate who had a crush on her. He’ll find out whether he was one of the reasons why. The 13 episodes are a dual narrative following both Clay and Hanna.

Here’s the 13 Reasons Why teaser:

The tagline for the series: “Why would a dead girl lie? The truth comes out March 31st.”

It’s a promising first look the series. With the students lined up against the lockers like criminals, “Monster” playing on the soundtrack, and the mysterious last lines, it sets a slightly unsettling tone. This doesn’t look like a typical young adult show, but considering Tom McCarthy is involved, that’s not surprising.

Here’s the official synopsis:

13 Reasons Why is a new series from Netflix adapted from the best-selling books by Jay Asher. It follows teenager Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette) as he returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker (newcomer Katherine Langford) —his classmate and crush—who tragically committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Will Clay be one of them? If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, 13 Reasons Why weaves an intricate and heart wrenching story of teenage life that will deeply affect viewers. 13 Reasons Why is directed by Oscar Winner Tom McCarthy (Spotlight), Written by Tony and Pulitzer Prize Winner Brian Yorkey (Next to Normal), and executive produced by Selena Gomez, Joy Gorman and Brian Yorkey from Anonymous Content, and Kristel Laiblin. The series is a produced for Netflix by Paramount Television.
    13 Reasons Why is directed by Oscar Winner Tom McCarthy (Spotlight), Written by Tony and Pulitzer Prize Winner Brian Yorkey(Next to Normal), and executive produced by Selena Gomez, Joy Gorman and Brian Yorkey from Anonymous Content, and Kristel Laiblin. The series is a produced for Netflix by Paramount Television.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sun January 29th, 2017, 23:06

Really excited for this!!! Kinda reminds me of Veronica Mars season 1.

Whitney Houston

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 01:38

I had to read the novel since a pupil of mine had to write a class test on this story.

I think this could be very interesting since the plot itself is kind of unique and offers some kind of surprises. I'm surprised we will get 13 episodes though. I think they have to stretch a lot of the given material and add a lot of extras to it.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 14:19

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    I had to read the novel since a pupil of mine had to write a class test on this story.

I think this could be very interesting since the plot itself is kind of unique and offers some kind of surprises. I'm surprised we will get 13 episodes though. I think they have to stretch a lot of the given material and add a lot of extras to it.

I've never read the book, is it good?

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 14:24

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow

I've never read the book, is it good?
    I think that I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it when I was still a teenager. It clearly addresses teens and high school students and it has a clear and loud message how even "unintentional" bullying can lead to serious problems. Also, the narrative is very unique (for a young adult/teen book); that's what I loved the most about it. You get to learn more about a late character through the others' reactions to her prerecorded messages, etc.

Let me put it into other words: As a student who wants to become a teacher, I appreciate the topics dealt with in the novel and I also think that it's a great body of work to analyse certain things from with potential and future students, e.g. the narrative, the characters and also the plot. It's also very metaphorical in some parts especially when we get to learn more about a certain dream and its symbols (I don't want to spoil you, you I will stop here). - So it's a very interesting read but you clearly need to be interested in high school stuff and be into books for teens.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Mon January 30th, 2017, 19:09

Good thing, Selena is only a producer!

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Sun February 26th, 2017, 09:09

I love Dylan so I'm defo gonna check this!

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat April 1st, 2017, 13:22

Is anyone of you watching this? - I am halfway through and I can't believe how compelling and captivating this is!

I expected something ordinary or low budget with some solid acting performances but seriously, this is the craziest shit I have seen for a very long time (after "Game of Thrones"). This is like a rollercoaster of emotions and psyche! The characters are so freaking dynamic and it gets more exciting with every episode. I can't stop watching it and I will probably not do anything else today because I want to know what's the truth.
    It is so emotional to watch the main character going through all this and also how the story has been told (and it's very close to the book material) and there's basically not a single moment in which you feel bored.

This is a Netflix masterpiece! Seriously guys! Watch it!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Sat April 1st, 2017, 15:16

I have watched 4 episodes yet and it's SO good!!!!
    Will prolly watch all of it over the weekend

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon April 3rd, 2017, 00:35

On episode 3, seems interesting. I'm confused as f at the moment but it's good!

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Mon April 3rd, 2017, 07:04

The last episode :(
    I can't even remember the last time I cried this much 'cause of a show/movie... It was just SO real! and the suicide scenefelt so... just
    The waterworks came as soon as 'Only You' started playing

This was a truly amazing series! I got so involved with the characters in just 3 days and it was just so addictive and SO honest at the same time and I could relate to so much of what Hannah went through.
    a masterpiece!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 18:56

Finished this yesterday and i can't get it out of my head. While i was rating most of the eps 8 out of 10, certain ones got a 9 and i gave it 9 overall because of the bravery of it in those later episodes. I can't say that it's perfect because it's too tricky a narrative and trying to get the balance right with an avalanche of main characters is clearly hard but Twin Peaks and Buffy (both precursors to this) weren't perfect either, doesn't stop them being iconic classics. The ratings on IMDb are all 9's with ep 13 being a 9.8 (virtually unheard of for a new show). The writer of the book is a huge fan of My So-Called Life (not just the best teen show but one of the best TV shows of all time) and you get that - Wilson Cruz from MSCL is a supporting actor in this.

Katherine Langford is just amazing. That bit (in the trailer) where she says "why didn't you say this to me when i was alive?" and everything around it is gut-wrenching. And i bet you that nobody expected that scene we knew was coming to be so realistic and strong. Quite why that didn't get a warning like the other two eps i don't know. Even the most hardcore independent dramas don't always go that far. And if this was on network TV that would simply not have been allowed.

Music is good, too though a lot of the songs used are excluded from the song soundtrack (but can be found on YouTube playlists) - Eskmo's score (he produced Selena's haunting Only You cover) is also a separate release and is great. There's been comparisons made about the aesthetic intentionally copying the John Cusack film Say Anything (right down to Langford resembling Ione Skye) and clearly an 80s thread goes through a lot of the music picks, too.

The best use of music was of this Echo and The Bunnymen cover in a particularly harrowing episode:

Legend
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 19:00

(Selena Gomez Exec. Produce)

That in the title is such an eyesore. It puts me off completely
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 19:13

^Yeah, it doesn't need it. It makes people think it's frothy and cute or at least insubstantial. It's not.
    It could say Courtney Love instead (who has endorsed it) and that would give you a better idea of the mood of it and the intended audience .

Selena's mum picked up the rights to the book and she was going to star in a film of it, this never happened but Selena held on to it until seven years later and made sure it was greenlit by Netflix. The most involvement she has in the show is contributing two songs to the soundtrack(s).

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 19:37

It was there to get the Selena fans interested it's gone now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 23:15

I still haven't recovered from it.
    This was just amazing

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 23:17

I absolutely lost it when her parents found her. Going to be a while before I can stop thinking about this

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

by » Wed April 5th, 2017, 23:18

Quote Originally Posted by Biebz
    I absolutely lost it when her parents found her. Going to be a while before I can stop thinking about this
    +1
    Her mom's reaction had me

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Thu April 6th, 2017, 00:31

Quote Originally Posted by Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Biebz
    +1
    Her mom's reaction had me
    Same here.

I am usually quite a tough guy (if I dare to say). I don't cry very often and I especially don't cry because of movies or TV series but "13 Reasons Why" got me like two or three times. I got so angry, frustrated so many times... not a single other TV series had such an effect on me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Fri April 7th, 2017, 00:49

Worth checking the 30 minute talking heads show that accompanies this. It's not immediately obvious that it's there on Netflix itself - doesn't even come up as a tip when you finish ep 13. Type in 13 Reasons Why: Beyond The Reasons on your "Browse" search.

by » Fri April 7th, 2017, 00:52

I'm so enraptured in this show. It's too good!! I was about to tell my friend to watch a show on Netflix called and before I finished she told me to watch Thirteen Reasons Why.
    Please Stop the Music

Legend
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by » Sat April 8th, 2017, 11:17

I just saw bad thing about this cuz apparently all the people who suffer from anything whats happening in the show say that thia show is dangerous and could possibly trigger tese people ciz it's too graphic and doesn't have enough warning.
    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Sat April 8th, 2017, 11:21

Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    I just saw bad thing about this cuz apparently all the people who suffer from anything whats happening in the show say that thia show is dangerous and could possibly trigger tese people ciz it's too graphic and doesn't have enough warning.
    If anything its the opposite. Select episodes have a warning right at the beginning and there have been reports that suicide lines have almost doubled in their number of calls with many citing the show as the reason for reaching out