View Poll Results: Which album is better?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • CrazySexyCool

18 69.23%
  • FanMail

8 30.77%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TLC

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Sun February 24th, 2019, 01:23

It was fun doing "Shout." The remixed version [which was never officially released] had Enrique Iglesias and Sheila E. on it. I was trying to have a little Latin feel to it -- because it was really kicking in at the time -- while still keeping it futuristic.
    What the hell. That's random! I'm guessing Shout was scheduled to be a single but was cancelled then. A shame.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

by » Wed February 27th, 2019, 03:33

I didn’t realise just how much thought went into the production of FanMail

Last edited by Controlfreak; Thu July 11th, 2019 at 01:30.

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 15:55

Quote Originally Posted by hun View Post
    I didn’t realise just how much thought went into the production of FanMail
    It has not really aged that well tbh
    Forever Young

Superstar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 07:45

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    It has not really aged that well tbh
    Aged better than this post ever will.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

by » Fri July 12th, 2019, 21:31

I would have to disagree regarding Fanmail. I think the album has aged very well. It still sounds fresh to me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 03:05

Fanmail still sounds amazing. It aged better than The Writing's on the Wall.

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 08:07

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Aged better than this post ever will.
    I think i have only kept 50% of it on rotation but do not love it as much as I did back in the day.

The highlights are still classics though
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 04:54

I still can't believe Chilli and T'Boz (especially) never released solo albums. If En Vogue, SWV and Xscape who were less successful than them maanged to ahve members go solo and have studio albums, why didn't T'Boz and Chilli didn't do the same? T'Boz was an incredible songwriter, she could have had a moderately successful hit album.

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 01:21

Those group members’ solo projects were all flops as well. However, I think the TLC members would have fared better. T-Boz’s best timing was the break between CrazySexyCool and Fanmail. Chilli’s best timing was after the Fanmail era was over. However, they both completed plenty of material for their solo albums but never released it. They don’t (didn’t) have the right management and label to help them fly solo successfully.

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 02:02

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    I still can't believe Chilli and T'Boz (especially) never released solo albums. If En Vogue, SWV and Xscape who were less successful than them maanged to ahve members go solo and have studio albums, why didn't T'Boz and Chilli didn't do the same? T'Boz was an incredible songwriter, she could have had a moderately successful hit album.
    I think it falls back to talent. The TLC girls are gifted, but they need each other. The women of Xscape and Coko are outstanding vocalist.
    Diva!!!

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 04:44

Lol @TIfan It has nothing to do with talent. All 3 members of TLC can stand alone. Once again, Xscape members and Coko albums flopped big time. Talented or not, they don’t have the appeal to have success solo-wise. However, the members of TLC could have easily. For instance, T-Boz has so much style, such a naturally rhythmic dancer, beautiful and has a unique singing voice. Even tho Coko and the members of Xscape (not Kandi) may have “big” voices, they don’t have that appeal to the masses like the members of TLC (which is why TLC was way more successful than those “big” singing voices groups)

by » Mon September 9th, 2019, 23:13

Quote Originally Posted by youngd View Post
    Lol @TIfan It has nothing to do with talent. All 3 members of TLC can stand alone. Once again, Xscape members and Coko albums flopped big time. Talented or not, they don’t have the appeal to have success solo-wise. However, the members of TLC could have easily. For instance, T-Boz has so much style, such a naturally rhythmic dancer, beautiful and has a unique singing voice. Even tho Coko and the members of Xscape (not Kandi) may have “big” voices, they don’t have that appeal to the masses like the members of TLC (which is why TLC was way more successful than those “big” singing voices groups)
    I disagree with you. I think the members of TLC had such great chemistry, it would have been hard for people to see them go solo. Lisa had the creativity of having a successful solo project, but I don't think the other two would have made it if they tried. They would have had to compete with younger/pretty girls like Aaliyah, Mya, and a few others, and that would have not gone well.
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 00:11

I think timing has a lot to do with it. It's just weird that none of TLC members (apart from Left Eye) had at least an album or EP released. It's hard to dismiss Chilli or T'Boz as someone not being able to make it solo when they have the most memorable songs in the 1990s.

If we are to look at 1997-1999, can people say the same about Justin and Beyoncé? Both were pretty much doing what every boy band and girl group member were doing but the stars aligned for them in such a way that their launch to solo superstardom made it seem like they were totally new artists. Not to mention, they had the best teams/labels backing them up. Radio and MTV promoted them like crazy.

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 03:06

T-Boz released some solo singles but they all flopped. I don’t think Chili even tried, which is dumbfounding because No Scrubs proved there was a lot of potential there.
    9/1/19 - A Date That Will Live In Infamy:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilearnedfromthebest View Post
    Just discovered We Belong Together and love it!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 03:29

Am I remembering right that Left Eye once challenged T-Boz and Chili to each create a solo album and let the marketplace determine the winner?

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 08:54

Nah. I don't think solo was in their calling. I feel like aaliyah already had the spot T-Boz would've had.

Manager
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Tue September 10th, 2019, 17:16

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
    Nah. I don't think solo was in their calling. I feel like aaliyah already had the spot T-Boz would've had.
    But T-Boz and Aaliyah are nothing alike...?

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 03:23

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLinda View Post
    But T-Boz and Aaliyah are nothing alike...?
    Just feel like aaliyah already had the urban swagger audience that would've been her only market.

by » Wed September 11th, 2019, 04:04

Many people underestimate TLC as solo members. Here is the 2019 Chilli, still one of the most talented dancers in the industry: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agwOKKtv8fg

2019 TLC (co-headlines your w/Nelly; averages b/w 8 - 10,000 attendees per show): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhY8M4opi0g

by » Thu September 12th, 2019, 14:46

Didn't Chilli try with Akon and the album was shelved? I think there was a single called GameProof?

by » Thu September 12th, 2019, 17:17

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    T-Boz released some solo singles but they all flopped. I don’t think Chili even tried, which is dumbfounding because No Scrubs proved there was a lot of potential there.
    there are leaked songs of tboz.. Actually label didnt support Lisa Lopez's solo effort "supernova"

https://youtu.be/GaZucE7VCxA