View Poll Results: Which album is better?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • CrazySexyCool

16 69.57%
  • FanMail

7 30.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TLC

The Diva
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Thu June 21st, 2018, 03:35

It would be weirder to see the actors and then the real TLC and then the actors and then the real TLC and so on. It would totally ruin the illusion of the movie

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Wed June 27th, 2018, 11:53

I dont get this

They could new songs here and there
    YOU cant blame nobody but YOU

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

by » Thu June 28th, 2018, 04:07

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru
    I really enjoyed the biopic. And the fact that the actual artists were behind it gives it truth.
    Lisa had lots of demons inside. The other 2 ladies were going through so much. And yet their music made them seem united as ever on screen.

Lisa was truly at peace when she died. Despite their internal battles, I am glad they chose to put out music for their fans, which is what matters for any artist.
    Wish the biopic allowed them to use the actual music videos. It feels so weird seeing the actors recreate the videos!
    Might as well just watch a documentary if they included their videos tf
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

by » Thu June 28th, 2018, 04:45

T-Boz’s voice is amazing! Watch this video of her singing “Unpretty” acoustic-style.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-Xz3LgLWc

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Thu June 28th, 2018, 13:32

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    It would be weirder to see the actors and then the real TLC and then the actors and then the real TLC and so on. It would totally ruin the illusion of the movie
    It was already ruined since only Lil Mama did the video mimicking justice. The girls especially the T'Boz one looked like a MADtv parody with her annoying facial expressions.

by » Fri July 6th, 2018, 19:08

The Story of Girl Groups in 45 Songs

TLC
    “Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg”
    It seemed like a done deal back in 1991. After a courtship in the early ’80s that oscillated between flirtation and competition, hip-hop and R&B had fully wed in the form of new jack swing, that wildly popular subgenre that yoked together all of the masculinist, braggadocio swagger of MCs with the bedroom crooning of classic soul Casanovas. On their best days, new jack joints mixed romance with house party euphoria (see: Guy’s bright, sweet-as-Lipton love jam “I Like”). At their very worst, those maddeningly irresistible bangers turned up the heat on male paranoia and blatant misogyny while everyone was doing the running man (think: Bell Biv DeVoe’s still-ubiquitous “Poison”).

TLC weren’t having any of it. With their savvy, head-turning debut single “Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg,” the trio consisting of Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, and Rozonda “Chilli” Thomas subverted new jack swing and the girl group form in ways that spoke radically to fast-changing, black socio-cultural landscapes. Formed in Hotlanta with the help of industry vets like Jermaine Dupri, Perri “Pebbles” Reid, and Antonio “L.A.” Reid, the group cranked out an unlikely b-boy, red-siren alert about black female sexual assertiveness and shame-free desire at the height of the AIDS crisis. In that long moment of peril when black communities—and black women in particular—were the most vulnerable and most invisible victims of a taboo disease, TLC brought joy and candor to pop culture’s safe-sex discourse, brazenly declaring, “If I need it in the morning or the middle of the night/I ain’t too proud to beg!” With a candy-colored hit video that featured all three members in street-smart, romper-stomper apparel affixed with condoms, they became the first girl group to combine sexual candor with unstoppable playfulness.

But the pure, still-unmatched genius of “Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg” is its insistence on sounding out the multiplicity of voices and personas that a girl group could possibly contain. From Left Eye’s sly and mischievous trickster rapping to Chilli’s lush balladeering to T-Boz’s funk testifying, TLC insisted on showing the complexities of black women’s inner-life worlds—how those worlds are constituted by humor, sensuality, as well as the dead-serious aspiration for equality in the bedroom and well beyond it. –Daphne A. Brooks

TLC
    “Waterfalls”
    Beneath its sunny veneer, TLC’s monster hit “Waterfalls” carries a stern warning: “Take care of yourself. You’re the only one who can.” The Atlanta girl group possessed a magnetism that could safely deliver humanist messages to Top 40 radio, and it didn’t hurt that “Waterfalls” had one of the biggest hooks of the ’90s.

It’s rare that an upbeat pop hit directly instructs its listeners not to take risks, not to plunge into the unknown, but TLC knew that self-preservation could be as radical an act as any. In the mid-’90s, the AIDS crisis had not yet retreated into the rearview mirror; rather than ignore the epidemic, TLC explicitly promoted safer sex, singing about the tragedy that could follow carelessness. But “Waterfalls” transcends its cultural moment because its message is bigger than the political concerns of its era. TLC knew that ambition doesn’t have to come at the cost of self-

TLC
    “No Scrubs”
    By the time “No Scrubs” was released, TLC had already taught us how to have a good time and respect our bodies in love. “No Scrubs”—the lead single from their futurism-inspired third album, FanMail—was another reminder to never concede to be the sole laborer in a relationship. But T-Boz, Chilli, and Left Eye also did something even more important and forward-thinking with this track: They called out all the goofy catcallers, two-timers, and irresponsible men who nevertheless feel entitled to women’s attention and affection.

Within the same year, Destiny’s Child would also release “Bug A Boo” and “Bills, Bills, Bills”—all three songs written by She’kspere and Xscape’s Kandi Burruss—and this echo chamber of young, talented women taking no shit had dudes mad. (Mad enough, in fact, to fuel a petulant one-hit wonder response, “No Pigeons,” by the New York rappers Sporty Thievz.) The rub? TLC changed the consciousness of a generation of young women. Somewhere, “No Scrubs” is playing and some man is still sputtering with rage. –Anupa Mistry

by » Fri July 6th, 2018, 19:10

Have you reached out to Cardi B to do a song?

T-Boz: There’s been talk about us doing something together, yeah. You know how it is, the politics and people always getting in the way.

Chilli: We would definitely love to do something with her. I think it would make a lot of sense.
    Click the link to read the rest of their interview.

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Fri July 6th, 2018, 20:52

They always have Problems when it comes tp do songs

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Sat July 7th, 2018, 11:56

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak

T-Boz: There’s been talk about us doing something together, yeah. You know how it is, the politics and people always getting in the way.

Chilli: We would definitely love to do something with her. I think it would make a lot of sense.
    That would be good, I hope they work with a female rapper!

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sat July 7th, 2018, 12:01

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak

That would be good, I hope they work with a female rapper!
    I’d prefer them to collaborate with someone from their time and era like Foxy Brown Queen Latifah, MC Lyte etc. I’m guessing Cardi wasn’t born or in diapers when they came out?
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sat July 7th, 2018, 13:24

No

Cardi is fine

Only new artists i want to get them back to the charts

Or superstars like kylie...janet..mariah..

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Sat July 7th, 2018, 13:37

I really hope they come back and perform in an awards show the same way Salt-n-Pepa did this year at the Billboard Music Awards when they performed their hits! I hope we don't wait for the 30th anniversary of CrazySexyCool before it happens!

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sat July 7th, 2018, 19:56

Quote Originally Posted by jochen
    No

Cardi is fine

Only new artists i want to get them back to the charts

Or superstars like kylie...janet..mariah..
    They will never peak again. Nit in the the way they were. Maybe create a little bit of hype with a major feature but I don’t think they’ll chart like a hot new artist like Cardi.
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

by » Fri July 13th, 2018, 17:08

Who’s waiting for the other single from TLC’s last album?

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2018, 04:13

I was so disappointed with the roll out of their last album. There were no major appearances whatsoever! Even SWV, Xscape and Salt-n-Pepa beat them to tribute performances or appearances. :-? :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2018, 07:12

Their little documentary thing on Netflix was actually kinda cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2018, 08:15

I was so disappointed with the roll out of their last album. There were no major appearances whatsoever! Even SWV, Xscape and Salt-n-Pepa beat them to tribute performances or appearances. :-? :-?
    Yes

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2018, 13:30

Quote Originally Posted by jochen
    Yes
    Double yes

Superstar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)

by » Fri February 22nd, 2019, 21:42

Quote Originally Posted by Controlfreak View Post
    Great read. Well I know which album I'll be spinning tomorrow!

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)