Thread: Thriller's Kylie Minogue Top 40: Complete

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 01:43

I love all these songs!

I am still so obsessed with "Into the Blue" and "Did It Again" is one of the first songs I heard from her way back in the late nineties!

Legend
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 10:03

Chocolate is a really nice song
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 11:07

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Since "Chocolate" is part of your poll, I didn't expect it to fall so soon.

Is this song really your favourite taken from "Body Language" = no more songs from that album are about to follow? - I really need to see "Slow" smashing here!
    The poll is random, so not all of those songs will be high/in the chart

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 11:14

WRITTEN BY: Chris Elliot, Chris Lake, Kylie Minogue and Terius Nash
    TAKEN FROM: n/a
    CHART POSITION: n/a

Skirt is one of the boldest tracks of Kylie's career, especially when you put it against the Kiss Me Once album which it preceded. Combining electro and dubstep influences, the song has a more jarring structure than your typical Kylie track but has a fantastic crescendo where Kylie's voice carries the melody across the chorus. I wish she'd done more music in this vein as it really worked for me to hear her go into full on club mode.

Legend
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 19:50

Saw this on leo's Hot 100, thought I'd show some love.

Wow - one of my all-time favourite Kylie songs. In cringe-tastic fashion, my first boyfriend once wrote the lyrics on one of my social media walls it's a really good pop song.

Did It Again - I have a love/hate relationship with this. It's very Sheryl Crow-esqe & today, I love it.

Chocolate - took me years to love this, it's so unique. Her vocals however are insane and it's become one of my all-time favourite Kylie songs. Brilliant, too low!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun September 3rd, 2017, 12:31

I absolutely ADORE "Skirt"! I was so happy when this song got released prior "Kiss Me Once". I thought that this would be the direction of the next album but sadly, I was truly disappointed :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun September 3rd, 2017, 13:04

Skirt was a good song, did not like it so much at first but it grew on me
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 11:29

WRITTEN BY: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken & Pete Waterman
    TAKEN FROM: Kylie [1988]
    CHART POSITION: 2

Got To Be Certain had a big job to do - following up a five-week number one debut hit. It managed three weeks at #2 and helped secure Kylie as the new Princess of Pop. An upbeat, chirpy number which is often overlooked amongst her back catalogue, it's always been a favourite of mine since I discovered it on the Ultimate Kylie compilation and it still has lots of charm today with its trademark SAW sound.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 11:47

I recently just heard "Skirt" and I loved it!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 13:59

Got To Be Certain is so cute.

Also surprised to see Chocolate low because of the poll. Always thought Chocolate was a great little bop.

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 22:00

Always a treat to see a tribute to Kylie! Admittedly, I have NO clue what to pick for the poll (well, besides "Chocolate" and "Wow" now), so I just went with "All The Lovers." <3

• "Into The Blue" is really lovely. Definitely a highlight of Kiss Me Once, and I can hear the "All The Lovers" connection too (which certainly isn't a bad thing!) The video has always struck me as a strange disconnect, though, with so much focus on a love story for a song that sounds like an independence anthem: "when I got my back up against the wall, don't need no one to rescue me..."
    • "Bold" is certainly an apt description of "2 Hearts" but "Wow" is much more up my alley! It's still not quite my top-favorite on X, but it's certainly one of that album's most fun, playful tracks.
    • Introspective, experimental, and still quite catchy, "Did It Again" is Impossible Princess at its best! Speaking of best, this gem's video is definitely one of her finest to date.
    • "Chocolate" is as smooth and satisfying as its titular treat. I've read that it originally featured a full rap from Ludacris, but I think both the final album and single versions are pretty perfect just the way they are! Do you have a strong preference for one or the other?
    • "Skirt" is so damn sexy!
    • "Got To Be Certain" is probably my favorite Kylie moment from the 80's. Cheesy production, cheesy lyrics, and a cheesy video somehow combine to make a slice of pop deliciousness! That hook is just irresistible: "I've got to be, got to be cerr-tun...."

There aren't many Kylie tracks that I really DISlike, but pretty much everything that you've chosen so far would be serious Top 40 contenders for me too!

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 22:03

Chocolate is one of my favourite Kylie songs, too good & too low here!

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon September 4th, 2017, 22:30

I voted for Get Outta My Way because that's the ultimate for me and if it had been released as the first single or a couple of years earlier it would've got the #1 it deserved. One of my favourite songs of all time by any artist.

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 15:01

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    • "Chocolate" is as smooth and satisfying as its titular treat. I've read that it originally featured a full rap from Ludacris, but I think both the final album and single versions are pretty perfect just the way they are! Do you have a strong preference for one or the other?
    I actually prefer the verses of the single version but the chorus of the album version! Both great though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 15:11

WRITTEN BY: Rob Davis and Cathy Dennis
    TAKEN FROM: Fever [2001]
    CHART POSITION: 8

Come Into My World was the fourth and final single from Fever and it instantly stood out as an obvious single from first listen. The single mix gives it that little more oomph that was perfect for radio and the Fischerspooner remix was also fantastic! It's a great dream-pop track that is driven by an almost deep house bassline and I especially like Kylie's vocal on the bridge. The only thing I hate is her outfit in the video

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 20:38

Tbh, even though I like both songs, no big lossers here.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 21:28

Aww Got to be certain is cute but those older songs really sound dated.

Come into my world was a great choice for a single. That music video still fascinates me the way it was all edited.

Legend
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 22:51

Come into my world is one of my favourite Kylie songs ever and back then definitely my favourite

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue September 5th, 2017, 22:57

Great song and vid. One of my faves

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 6th, 2017, 14:16

WRITTEN BY: Tom Aspaul
    TAKEN FROM: Kiss Me Once [2014]
    CHART POSITION: n/a

Feels So Good is my highest entry on this chart from the Kiss Me Once album; if you ask me it should've been a single but sadly the project was abandoned too early for that to ever be. A cover of Tom Aspaul's Indiana, it has the typical light, dreamy, pop feel to it that Kylie can be known for and it all sounds so effortless. The chorus is a joy and I love the outro which repeats a line from the first verse.

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 7th, 2017, 00:00

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    I actually prefer the verses of the single version but the chorus of the album version! Both great though.
    Ah, now that's a mash-up I'd be curious to hear! (Admittedly, the differences aren't as clear to me in the chorus as they are in the verses.)

• "Dream-pop" describes "Come Into My World" beautifully. It's definitely a highlight of Fever (which is saying a lot, since I love nearly every track on that album, including the B-sides) The video brings to mind "Did It Again" a bit, since both clips feature multiple Kylies (except this time they're merely sharing the streets of Paris, instead of taking swipes at each other...)
    • I ADORE "Feels So Good" <3 It's my most-played Kiss Me Once track (though "Into The Blue" isn't far behind), so I'm certainly on-board with it being the highest-ranking entry here! I was shocked when I first learned that it's a cover, since it always seemed like one of the most "KYLIE" tracks on that whole album/tailor-made for her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 7th, 2017, 15:20

WRITTEN BY: Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers
    TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]

Kids is probably Kylie's second-most-famous duet and came as the third single from Light Years. Originally written by Robbie and Guy as a solo track for Kylie, Robbie decided to turn it into a duet when he felt chemistry with Kylie. The song would have fit perfectly on Impossible Princess as it has that indie/pop vein with brash vocals and suggestive lyrics. Kylie sells it completely with her trademark breathy, seductive voice in the verses and showing off her higher register in the chorus.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 7th, 2017, 17:46

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller

WRITTEN BY: Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers
    TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]

Kids is probably Kylie's second-most-famous duet and came as the third single from Light Years. Originally written by Robbie and Guy as a solo track for Kylie, Robbie decided to turn it into a duet when he felt chemistry with Kylie. The song would have fit perfectly on Impossible Princess as it has that indie/pop vein with brash vocals and suggestive lyrics. Kylie sells it completely with her trademark breathy, seductive voice in the verses and showing off her higher register in the chorus.
    Picking up on your comment had this been released in 1997 during Kylie's indie phase and Robbie still seemingly a struggling solo artist Kids would've probably had a very lukewarm reception from the public, and no doubt a rapping Robbie would've left people sighing and having a facepalm moment.

Extraordinary how both of them transformed their careers by 2000 to becoming two of the biggest pop acts in the UK. At least this video was fun and tongue in cheek compared to Kylie's other hit at the time On a night like this which still makes me cringe because of all the old perverted men in that video.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 7th, 2017, 17:52

I voted for Chocolate before reading the thread!

So much love for Kylie in here, I love it!
    Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 7th, 2017, 18:57

Kids is an absolute classic, one of the finest pop duets.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging