Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luckyONE
    Superstar
    • 07 Feb 2012

The Voice Within was probably the first Xtina song I ever heard - or at least the one that I remember. It was included on some "Best Of 2003" compilation album and is definitely one of her finest moments ever. Glad to see it made your Top 10 - I like the video, too. Especially her look is great!

Comment

• Erotica
      Legend
      • 15 Mar 2014

After one of her strongest songs one of the weakest ones follows I did not like The voice within at all and still don't like it. It's the only bad single from Stripped though, the others are really good

Comment

• Wayne
        Site Owner
        • 07 Sep 2006

Two very good and very different Christina ballads that deliver a similar message - this is when she's at her best.

Comment

• Mainshow
          Legend
          • 06 Apr 2012

#8: "Can't Hold Us Down" (2003)

If we continue that way, this Top 10 will be a countdown of empowering anthems - "Can't Hold Us Down" is one of those iconic protest songs addressing feminist issues.
          Christina is clearly going deep with this track and levelling criticism on double standards in society dominated by men stating women should have a strong opinion and make them heard & more importantely, be heard! She continues addressing the double standards when it comes to sexuality (Most iconic line: ""if the girl do the same and then she's a whore"). I highly respect Christina for addressing these things because even though the world has made progress, I think that this is still a problem of today's societies. This track deserves more recognition.
          Also, the RnB/Hip-Hop crossover surprisingly suits Christina very well
          [youtube:1281ajuo]dg8QgUIKXHw[/youtube:1281ajuo]
          Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Comment

• luckyONE
            Superstar
            • 07 Feb 2012

this is such an amazing song - and the video is so fierce! such a great mood and video set. one of her very best for sure!

Comment

• Erotica
              Legend
              • 15 Mar 2014

This one is much better Like it

Comment

• stevyy
                Site Supporter
                • 14 May 2005

the voice within is the only x-tina song from stripped i use.
                My Chart

Comment

• Leo
                  Legend
                  • 12 Nov 2012

Two great choices again!
                  I did a CA Top30 in 2014, and my ranks were Voice #14, Hold Us #12 and Fighter #4

Will you only include singles or album tracks too?
                  PLAY SIXPACK 2024
                  Week 16: NEW Dua Lipa, Hozier and Sabrina!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                    Moderator and Site Supporter
                    • 24 Jul 2009

"The Voice Within" is lovely, and "Can't Hold Us Down" is a solid anthem.

There better be at least one Stripped track in the Top 10.
                    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#7]
                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
                    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
                    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• GetBack
                      Legend
                      • 11 Jun 2010

"The Voice Within" is amazing, it's such an underrated ballad. I don't why she never performed it again.

The same goes for "Can't Hold Us Down". I love that she explored more in the R&B and hip-hop territory, but it was left forgotten in the Stripped era.

Comment

• LOVE+FEAR
                        Superstar
                        • 19 Sep 2015

I use Fighter
                        2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Fan
                          Legend
                          • 11 Jun 2006

This will be fun!

Christina used to be my #1 artist during the Stripped and BTB days, but she completely lost me now. I still love her older work though and Fighter has to be one of her strongest moments. Such a tune and like you described, I was also always so excited to see the video back in the day. I was obsessed with her 'moth look'.
                          The Voice Within has always been rather dull for me, but Can't Hold Us Down is massive. Gimme a feminist anthem and I'm happy and Christina x Lil Kim is a perfect combination,
                          without any meaning, we're just skin and bones
                          like beautiful robots dancing alone

Comment

• Mainshow
                            Legend
                            • 06 Apr 2012

Wow! Thanks for the great comments again! ;)

Originally posted by stevyy
                            Christina ranks 145th overall artist, but she is the 41st best played female artist. (Britney is 21st).

and yes, in my top 150 artists of all times, there are only 42 female solo artists. It's a Man's world, baby.
                            Your last.fm charts are really dominated by (mostly very talented) men. #41 ain't bad. Any chance Britney will be part of your Top 20?

Originally posted by luckyONE
                            The Voice Within was probably the first Xtina song I ever heard - or at least the one that I remember. It was included on some "Best Of 2003" compilation album and is definitely one of her finest moments ever. Glad to see it made your Top 10 - I like the video, too. Especially her look is great!
                            I am surprised. Even though I can still remember seeing "The Voice Within" quite often on MTV, I think that this single is slightly underrated among Christina's singles. Usually, people have heard "Genie In a Bottle", "Dirrty" or "Beautiful" first. So the song has a very special meaning to you ;) And I agree, her look is great!

Originally posted by Erotica
                            After one of her strongest songs one of the weakest ones follows I did not like The voice within at all and still don't like it. It's the only bad single from Stripped though, the others are really good
                            Oh really? I love the song (as you can see) but thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you'll like the next update a bit more ;)

Originally posted by Wayne
                            Two very good and very different Christina ballads that deliver a similar message - this is when she's at her best.
                            I agree! She's the best when she's pulling out empowering and inspirational songs. Hope to see more of that Xtina in the near future.

Originally posted by luckyONE
                            this is such an amazing song - and the video is so fierce! such a great mood and video set. one of her very best for sure!
                            I'm glad you like this countdown so far and I agree, the video is great as well (as a kid I was very shocked about Christina jerking off that water hose, though

Originally posted by Erotica
                            This one is much better Like it
                            Here you go <3

Originally posted by stevyy
                            the voice within is the only x-tina song from stripped i use.
                            Oh really? - I hope that there will be more songs in the following updates you'll appreciate ;)

Originally posted by leomedar
                            Two great choices again!
                            I did a CA Top30 in 2014, and my ranks were Voice #14, Hold Us #12 and Fighter #4

Will you only include singles or album tracks too?
                            Thanks! - Oh really? Do you have a link to your Countdown? I would like to have a look at it. So our ranks for these three songs are quite similar but they are pop masterpieces on their own, so it is not much of a surprise ;)

Yes, I will only include singles. I would like to present my Top 10s of singles of many and different female pop artists. "Mainshow Goes Diva" is some sort of a series and I think that singles would attract more people + I don't have all albums by artists about to be covered in this thread ;)

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                            "The Voice Within" is lovely, and "Can't Hold Us Down" is a solid anthem.

There better be at least one Stripped track in the Top 10.
                            I'm glad you like these two choices as well.

Regarding other entries taken from Stripped, I can only quote the Queen of Pop: "You'll have to wait and see"

Originally posted by GetBack
                            "The Voice Within" is amazing, it's such an underrated ballad. I don't why she never performed it again.

The same goes for "Can't Hold Us Down". I love that she explored more in the R&B and hip-hop territory, but it was left forgotten in the Stripped era.
                            Truth told. "The Voice Within" needs to get more credit. It is entirely beautiful and one of the finest singles by Christina! It shouldn't be forgotten.
                            I think "Can't Hold Us Down" is in a slightly better position. Fun fact: It's part of the "protest songs" section of a commonly used English books for pupils here at German schools

Originally posted by KokoCollino
                            I use Fighter
                            No love for the other two?

Originally posted by Fan
                            This will be fun!

Christina used to be my #1 artist during the Stripped and BTB days, but she completely lost me now. I still love her older work though and Fighter has to be one of her strongest moments. Such a tune and like you described, I was also always so excited to see the video back in the day. I was obsessed with her 'moth look'.
                            The Voice Within has always been rather dull for me, but Can't Hold Us Down is massive. Gimme a feminist anthem and I'm happy and Christina x Lil Kim is a perfect combination,
                            Yay! Thanks for joining us ;)

I had no clue she was your favourite artists of all time! That's amazing and even though, I still like her, I can understand why she kinda lost you. Anyway, I am glad you like the tracks so far and I am glad that you also admitted to be obsessed with her "moth look". I still think it looks so freakin' cool!
                            "Dull" as a description of "The Voice Within"... ouch But I am glad you love "Can't Hold Us Down" as well ;)

Comment

• Carbon
                              Legend
                              • 19 Jul 2013

CHUD is great, in my top 5 Xtina songs! And Voice is also nice, though I mostly like the verses, the chorus is a tad too cheese/drama for me

Comment

• JakeP
                                Superstar
                                • 19 Aug 2013

Hey Mainshow

Loving this Christina Aguilera countdown...but when the first three entries are all from Stripped then its not difficult to see way.

Personally i think Fighter is an outstanding fierce pop anthem and prefer this over tracks like Can't hold us down. The voice within is a sublime ballad.

Had to think about which single i'd regard as my absolute favourite so will be interesting to see where it appears.

Comment

• Mainshow
                                  Legend
                                  • 06 Apr 2012

Originally posted by Carbon
                                  CHUD is great, in my top 5 Xtina songs! And Voice is also nice, though I mostly like the verses, the chorus is a tad too cheese/drama for me
                                  Great to see this massive tune being part of your all-time top 5 tracks by Christina. I think she might have gone over the top with the chorus but I also can understand why she did it; I mean, it's an important message she was about to transfer and that we she made women reunite somehow ;)

Originally posted by JakeP
                                  Hey Mainshow

Loving this Christina Aguilera countdown...but when the first three entries are all from Stripped then its not difficult to see way.

Personally i think Fighter is an outstanding fierce pop anthem and prefer this over tracks like Can't hold us down. The voice within is a sublime ballad.

Had to think about which single i'd regard as my absolute favourite so will be interesting to see where it appears.
                                  Hey! I am glad you like this countdown so far ;) - I hope that the next updates aren't that predictable. It's not my fault that so many "Stripped" singles are included in this Top10 singles countdown, I mean, the released songs are just great (in my opion) and it's her peak as an artist (tbh).

I can't wait to find out your favourite Xtina single as well! (I hope it will be part of my Top 10.. otherwise, that will be a #mess)

Comment

• Mainshow
                                    Legend
                                    • 06 Apr 2012

#7: "Oh Mother" (2007)

After dropping three singles taken from "Stripped" on this countdown, it's time to move a bit further into Christina's discography.
                                    "Oh Mother" - the final single of her massive comeback album "Back To Basics" - is one of my favourite singles by Christina despite not having set the charts on fire (sadly). However, it was quite successful on German radio and I remember the song being heavily played on several radio stations. I think it was her last hit here.
                                    Looking back, I have to say that I admire and deeply respect Christina for releasing such personal and deep pop tracks as singles. It is not easy to talk about such things in public, especially when she had to face an abusive childhood herself. Again, I love Christina's soft and fragile voice at the beginning of this ballad before she decides to go all vibrato and powerful at the end of the song.
                                    Underrated masterpiece!

P.S.: I honestly despise live music videos
                                    [youtube:185wexdx]r8Y6whJXGdU[/youtube:185wexdx]

Comment

• Mainshow
                                      Legend
                                      • 06 Apr 2012

#6: "Dirrty" (2002)

Another single taken from "Stripped" has to fall. This time, it's her signature song "Dirrty", clearly a career-defining moment. Christina had to re-invent herself as an artist since she had been perceived as a rival or copycat of Britney's during her first era (even though they are different worlds apart vocally; just talking about the first singles + the image and not having much control). Christina went down the whole shocking route and started to be the baddest bitch of 'em all. Her Bubblegum Pop/Teen pop image had been definitely slaughtered by this track and its accompanying and very risky and over-the-top music video. I can still remember my mother being in shock when she entered the living room when I was watching the video on MTV
                                      I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of the track at first but during my clubbing days, I started to appreciate it and it's one of the best anthems to dance to at a gay night out, tbh. . Love it now!
                                      [youtube:ynvyismv]4Rg3sAb8Id8[/youtube:ynvyismv]

Comment

• Carbon
                                        Legend
                                        • 19 Jul 2013

Originally posted by Mainshow
                                        Great to see this massive tune being part of your all-time top 5 tracks by Christina. I think she might have gone over the top with the chorus but I also can understand why she did it; I mean, it's an important message she was about to transfer and that we she made women reunite somehow ;)
                                        Noo, I think you misunderstood the cheesy chorus bit was about The Voice Within.

As for Can't Hold Us Down - I love absolutely everything about it!

Dirty is a bop! So far you're successfully avoiding the annoying singles!

Comment

• Mainshow
                                          Legend
                                          • 06 Apr 2012

Originally posted by Mainshow
                                          Noo, I think you misunderstood the cheesy chorus bit was about The Voice Within.

As for Can't Hold Us Down - I love absolutely everything about it!

Dirty is a bop! So far you're successfully avoiding the annoying singles!
                                          Oops!... (Britney reference intended) - I have to admit, I love some cheese (I mean, I am a huge fan of Eurovision as well).

Great to read that, I hope that I will keep on not disappointing

Comment

Working...