Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue #2 + #1

by » Sat November 17th, 2018, 20:45

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Thanks for reading my lousy texts and even liking my story, how I saw the light and fell in love with Ariana It was a long way haha.
    Ha, I DEFINITELY wouldn't call them "lousy" ;) They've been really entertaining AND informative! Teaching me things I never knew about Ari (and about yourself as a fan).

• "Side To Side" doesn't do a WHOLE lot for me, but I'm glad that it finally gave the Dangerous Woman era a proper global smash. The video's certainly eye-catching. I love all the pops of bright/neon colors, and Ari's serving up all kinds of sexxxy throughout the clip!

• "Into You," however, does many many things to me <3 It was SO exciting to see it make the Top 2 of the Artist Survivor (it's currently my second-most-played Ari song, just a few plays behind "Moonlight"). "Masterpiece" is absolutely right, and I love that you sing along to this bop loud. and. proud!

• When NTLTC first dropped, I was impressed/captivated by the video and certain parts of the song, but I had a feeling that it wouldn't have a ton of staying power with me. Instead of wearing off quickly, though, it's become my 4th-most-played song of 2018 The message/theme kept me coming back to it whenever I needed a pick-me-up/shot of inspiration to push onward. I had no idea about the significance behind the bee in the vid, so thanks for educating me there!

• Similarly to "Side To Side," I like "God Is A Woman" well enough, but it doesn't rock my world the way it does for a lot of fans. Still, it's always satisfying to see people being so enthusiastic about any of Ari's work, and I think the video absolutely deserves all the praise that it's gotten!

Thanks for taking us on this awesome Ari ride, Mainshow! You mentioned "Touch It," but what are some of your other favorite non-singles? It looked like you were saving "Leave Me Lonely" a lot in her Artist Survivor...

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat November 17th, 2018, 23:06

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Thanks for reading my lousy texts and even liking my story, how I saw the light and fell in love with Ariana It was a long way haha.
    Ha, I DEFINITELY wouldn't call them "lousy" ;) They've been really entertaining AND informative! Teaching me things I never knew about Ari (and about yourself as a fan).

• "Side To Side" doesn't do a WHOLE lot for me, but I'm glad that it finally gave the Dangerous Woman era a proper global smash. The video's certainly eye-catching. I love all the pops of bright/neon colors, and Ari's serving up all kinds of sexxxy throughout the clip!

• "Into You," however, does many many things to me <3 It was SO exciting to see it make the Top 2 of the Artist Survivor (it's currently my second-most-played Ari song, just a few plays behind "Moonlight"). "Masterpiece" is absolutely right, and I love that you sing along to this bop loud. and. proud!

• When NTLTC first dropped, I was impressed/captivated by the video and certain parts of the song, but I had a feeling that it wouldn't have a ton of staying power with me. Instead of wearing off quickly, though, it's become my 4th-most-played song of 2018 The message/theme kept me coming back to it whenever I needed a pick-me-up/shot of inspiration to push onward. I had no idea about the significance behind the bee in the vid, so thanks for educating me there!

• Similarly to "Side To Side," I like "God Is A Woman" well enough, but it doesn't rock my world the way it does for a lot of fans. Still, it's always satisfying to see people being so enthusiastic about any of Ari's work, and I think the video absolutely deserves all the praise that it's gotten!

Thanks for taking us on this awesome Ari ride, Mainshow! You mentioned "Touch It," but what are some of your other favorite non-singles? It looked like you were saving "Leave Me Lonely" a lot in her Artist Survivor...
    Thank you for your kind and nice words! I am glad you enjoyed reading about how I became a fan of Ariana and that you learnt about the bee imagery in "No Tears Left To Cry"'s music video ;)

I really thought that everyone was loving "Side To Side". It was such a huge hit... Apart from the sexy eye-catchers in the video, I also love all the props and bright/neon colours! Just thinking about them makes me wanna watch the whole thing again ;)

Glad you agree on me calling "Into You" a "masterpiece" <3 I personally hope it will overtake "Moonlight" on your all-time Ariana list, soon, though ;)

Your comment on "God Is A Woman" is a bit unsatisfying since I still believe it's her best song ever; her "magnus opus" as JSparksFan also called it But it was great to read how "No Tears Left To Cry" taught you otherwise and proved to have an everlasting impression on you! ;)
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by » Tue November 20th, 2018, 23:12

It's about time i caught up with all the action...like practically the whole countdown.

Looking at these 10 Ariana tracks makes me realise just how consistent the music has been since 2014.

#9: "Everyday (feat. Future)" (2017)

This was a good track although i preferred several other tracks on Dangerous woman.

#8: "Break Free (feat. Zedd)" (2014)

This was such a euphoric pop anthem, i was kinda surprised when i first heard Break free as i never imagined at the time that i'd hear Ariana vocals on a dance hit.

#7: "Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)" (2014)

When i first heard this i didn't know who The Weeknd was, and i actually thought it was Chris Brown. But it was an endearing that kept Ariana's run of top 10 singles in tact in my chart.

#6: "One Last Time" (2015)

...as did One last time when it was released as the follow up although at #9. To think had that terror attack never happened last year, One last time would never have had such a mammoth boost and return to my chart at #. Whenever i listen to this song now, i can't help but associate it with the tragic events that unfolded and it has given the lyrics a whole new meaning. :(

#5: "Breathin" (2018)

2018 + Ariana singles = perfection <3 breathin has been one of the most successful songs in my chart over the last 3 months. It's one of those songs i doubt i will ever tire of hearing because everything is sensational.

#4: "Side To Side (feat. Nicki Minaj)" (2016)

I was delighted when this became a bonafide chart hit in the UK as up until this point it seemed like nothing from the Dangerous woman era was gonna smash. That said, i wish another track from the album could've enjoyed this level of success...

#3: "Into You" (2016)

...and this is that song. Loved Into you from the word go but stalled at #2 in my chart behind Justin Timberlake's Can't stop the feeling. Just from the singles, you can document the continued rise in popularity for Ariana in just the last two years alone. If Into you had been released this year i reckon it would've been a comfortable top 10 hit.

#2: "No Tears Left To Cry" (2018)

Ahh yes the song that introduced the Sweetener era so amazingly. An instant hit in my chart, i was loving everything about this. The song is so catchy and that choir intro is so lush, still kinda wish they had included it for the single release.

#1: "God Is A Woman" (2018)

Yay! Amazing single to conclude your Ariana top 10. God is a woman is stunning both musically and visually thanks to the beautiful music video.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 22:44

Thank you, JakeP, for catching up!

I agree! Ariana is keep serving good stuff. She's very consistent with her music and if I had to do my coutdown again, I think that I would need to include "7 rings" and "thank u, next" as well. She's unstoppable at the moment.

I'm glad you like "Everyday" as well. It's a bit underrated among Ukmixers. Dangerous Woman was such a strong record.. I prefer several tracks to it as well, e.g. Into You and Side To Side (which both of them made my countdown), Touch It, Leave Me Lonely, Knew Better/Forever Boy, Thinking Bout You Which tracks did you prefer?

I love reading your comment on The Weeknd

I agree on "One Last Time". The horrible and tragic terror attack has turned this track into something more special now. I can't listen to this track I used to.

Has "Breathin" grown off you yet? - It's a pity it didn't have the same success as the other singles.

I'm glad you like my Top tracks can somehow agree on my ranking ;) - Thx for commenting!

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 22:55

Mainshow goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

After my FB timeline got flooded with short vids of Kylie performing at Glastonbury, it made me think of how wonderful it would be to listen to her excellent catalogue again and revise her discography.

Kylie has always been one of my favourite artists. She currently sits at #5 on my last.fm profile (third-highest charting female artist).

I've always been a casual fan but strangely, my first Kylie CD was her greatest hits Ultimate Kylie when it was a special offer at the grocery store next door However, it was one of my most played records and I started to get more into her music, buying more albums... I even attended two concerts of hers ("Aphrodite" & "Kiss Me Once" Tours) & as part of my trip to Australia back in 2016, I visted her exhibition (tour/music videos outfits) in Melbourne's Art Centre - and it was utterly impressive. She clearly has iconic outfits to be remembered for!

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 23:37

#10: "Flower" (2012)

Kylie's signature sounds combines contemporary pop and disco elements which probably cemented her status as a LGTBQ+ icon and if you want to continue my "Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue" countdown, you won't get disappointed and will witness many pop anthems making the cut but let's kick off my the Kylie Minogue edition with a very unique single from her catalogue: "Flower".

I love the fragile nature of the song: The honest lyrics and the heavenly, dreamy arrangement.
    Kylie writing the track when she was battling cancer, her opening her heart of starting a family and how her dream might never come true whilst the beautiful song is still full of hope ...the song feels so honest and it's one of the very few moments where I - as a huge fan - have a feeling that I can truly connect with Kylie.

Personally, I think it's one of Kylie's finest (and most criminally underrated) moments of her entire career!

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Thu July 11th, 2019, 23:51

#9: "In Your Eyes" (2002)

I kept my promise: Here's the first flawless pop anthem by Kylie, it's up-tempo, some disco bliss and makes you move, for sure!
    I can still remember how often it got played on my country's music channel and how I fell in love with the track. I was literally so impatient..waiting for MTV to play it after school... I strangely never managed to buy her CD but I would still consider myself to be a fan.. oh and, these outfits.. so iconic and memorable!

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Fri July 12th, 2019, 08:40

I immidiately write my top 10 of Kylie's singles (not incl. duets w/ Nick Cave & Robbie Williams), until it changes again
    1. Where Is The Feeling?
    2. The One
    3. 2 Hearts
    4. Love At First Sight
    5. Confide In Me
    6. Some Kind Of Bliss
    7. In My Arms
    8. Come Into My World
    9. Step Back In Time
    10. Breathe
    Waffles are checked cookies

Roadie
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by » Fri July 12th, 2019, 11:35

I prefer her first three albums and my # 1 is "Tears On My Pillow".
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Fri July 12th, 2019, 17:23

I don't expect my favourite singles in the top 10, but we will see. Kylie is my third most played artist overall.

Flower is a sweet song, but I don't really go back to that one.

In your eyes is good.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Fri July 12th, 2019, 18:15

You probably know that the US sucks in how indifferent it's been to Kylie, besides a couple songs. So this will be good to hear songs I haven't heard form her. Not a big fan of Flower, but I love the disco vibe of In My Eyes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 09:33

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    I immidiately write my top 10 of Kylie's singles (not incl. duets w/ Nick Cave & Robbie Williams), until it changes again
    1. Where Is The Feeling?
    2. The One
    3. 2 Hearts
    4. Love At First Sight
    5. Confide In Me
    6. Some Kind Of Bliss
    7. In My Arms
    8. Come Into My World
    9. Step Back In Time
    10. Breathe
    Interesting choices, for sure. It seems that you were really into Kyle's "X" era.

I've taken her duets into account since she's not been listed as a featuring artist on them (it's always & or with) and the tracks appear on her records as well, though.

Apart from my Top 3, it was really difficult to rank her singles because Kylie does have so many great and enjoyable tracks!

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 09:34

Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    I prefer her first three albums and my # 1 is "Tears On My Pillow".
    It seems that you indeed enjoy "older" music the most. First Eurovision, now Kylie. That's interesting. I hope you'll enjoy this countdown anyway xD

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 09:37

Quote Originally Posted by Erotica View Post
    I don't expect my favourite singles in the top 10, but we will see. Kylie is my third most played artist overall.

Flower is a sweet song, but I don't really go back to that one.

In your eyes is good.
    That's possible since Kylie has already released so many great singles. I hope that you'll still enjoy this countdown and let me know if a single from your Top 10 appears.

It seems that "In Your Eyes" was close?

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 09:54

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    You probably know that the US sucks in how indifferent it's been to Kylie, besides a couple songs. So this will be good to hear songs I haven't heard form her. Not a big fan of Flower, but I love the disco vibe of In My Eyes.
    Sadly, I'm aware of the blasphemy towards Klyie going on in the US and tbh, I've never understood why she's been treated like that. I mean, she's always been kinda one of the most successful female artists on Earth (from a European view). She deserves so much more, in my opinion.

Anyway, thank you for commenting and (hopefully) following my Top 10. I hope I can turn you into a fan, haha.

"Flower" needs some time grow (pun not intended). Even though I've always loved some stripped-down ballads, I think that if you have followed Kyle's career a bit and known about her battling breast cancer and her (failed) wish to start a family, you'll end up having a different connection to the track and appreciate it more. It's so personal, fragile and emotional.

I'm glad you enjoy "In Your Eyes", though, it was one of my favourite songs back at primary school ;)

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 18:24

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    Interesting choices, for sure. It seems that you were really into Kyle's "X" era.
    Yes, Kylie's "X" era and her 90s eras are essential for me.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 19:45

That's possible since Kylie has already released so many great singles. I hope that you'll still enjoy this countdown and let me know if a single from your Top 10 appears.

It seems that "In Your Eyes" was close?
    Honestly don't know if In Your Eyes would be close cause I haven't made a top 10 with her singles yet.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

by » Sat July 13th, 2019, 23:05

• OoOh - delightfully subversive of you to kick off a Kylie countdown with a tender, heart-wrenching ballad! I really love your write-up of the track and your explanation of its significance to cheapthrills. Although it's no surpise that she's better known as a dance/pop icon, she can absolutely nail ballads better than people seem to realize. Shame "Flower" didn't get far on the charts, but at least it helped The Abbey Road Sessions become a success in the UK.
    • "In Your Eyes" is probably my least-favorite Fever single, but that's some exceptionally tough competition! The "Spinning Around" nod is cute. I can see how those fond memories of watching the video on TV back in the day have helped the song hold an extra-special place in your heart over the years (it's a similar story for me and "Love At First Sight").

I noticed you talking about her duets, so I suspect "Kids" will pop up here at some point (or maybe you'll throw us a curveball with something like "Higher" instead). Don't forget to update your sig - Ari had her time to shine, but now the spotlight's on Kylie.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 15:34

It seems that you indeed enjoy "older" music the most. First Eurovision, now Kylie. That's interesting. I hope you'll enjoy this countdown anyway xD
    It's great to see "Flower" at # 10 in your list. From my top 10 Kylie's singles only three were released in 21st century.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 13:56

This is my first time hearing "Flower", and I'm totally sold! It's so beautiful!

I don't know why it took so long, but I only recently connected with "In Your Eyes" last year. It sticks to the tried and proven, light, uptempo formula that defines most of Kylie's finest tracks. It's so much fun!

Don't forget to update your signature!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 15:27

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo View Post
    Yes, Kylie's "X" era and her 90s eras are essential for me.
    I'm glad you enjoy Kylie as well but time will tell if we share a few singles in our Top 10s.
    On "X", I think that I enjoy "Speakerphone" and "Nudity" the most

Quote Originally Posted by Erotica View Post
    Honestly don't know if In Your Eyes would be close cause I haven't made a top 10 with her singles yet.
    Ah, I thought that you might know which singles are on top because you've already "promised"/"feared" that none of your favourite singles will make my list I love it that we listen to the same artists but have a very different taste ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    It's great to see "Flower" at # 10 in your list. From my top 10 Kylie's singles only three were released in 21st century.
    Glad you enjoy "Flower" that much!
    That's a surprise since "Light Years" and "Fever" brought her back.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 15:41

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post
    • OoOh - delightfully subversive of you to kick off a Kylie countdown with a tender, heart-wrenching ballad! I really love your write-up of the track and your explanation of its significance to cheapthrills. Although it's no surpise that she's better known as a dance/pop icon, she can absolutely nail ballads better than people seem to realize. Shame "Flower" didn't get far on the charts, but at least it helped The Abbey Road Sessions become a success in the UK.
    • "In Your Eyes" is probably my least-favorite Fever single, but that's some exceptionally tough competition! The "Spinning Around" nod is cute. I can see how those fond memories of watching the video on TV back in the day have helped the song hold an extra-special place in your heart over the years (it's a similar story for me and "Love At First Sight").

I noticed you talking about her duets, so I suspect "Kids" will pop up here at some point (or maybe you'll throw us a curveball with something like "Higher" instead).
    Thank you for stepping by and reading my posts I'm glad that you like my refreshing kind of way to start my Kylie countdown with a very unusual choice. "Flower" is usually overlooked by fans. The Abbey Road Sessions is such a great record! Tbh, when it got released, I was fed up with Kylie releasing so many greatest hits records, Christmas tracks and stand-alone singes... and I wanted to have a new studio album so desperately... but after some time, that album got me. I love it how playful and intimate it is.What a nice way to re-arrange global monster hits!

Wow I didn't know that people thinking that In Your Eyes isn't perfect do exist But you are completely right... the "Fever" singles were well-picked, accompanied by great music videos... she was clearly on fire during that era. The "Spinning Around" nod is indeed a nice feature (I haven't noticed it for years, though xD).
    I'm glad you have a special connection to a song based on heavy rotation on TV as well. Damn, I somehow miss all these music channels :(

Regarding the features, everything's possible as long as Kylie's been listed as the main act ;) #staytuned

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    This is my first time hearing "Flower", and I'm totally sold! It's so beautiful!

I don't know why it took so long, but I only recently connected with "In Your Eyes" last year. It sticks to the tried and proven, light, uptempo formula that defines most of Kylie's finest tracks. It's so much fun!
    I'm so glad that my countdown gave you the opportunity to discover a new track! That's awesome and thank you for checking out my #10 and #9 places of Kylie's singles! - Personally, I think that "Flower" is somehow Kylie's own "Someday (I Will Understand)" - both songs dealing with the desire of becoming a mother - in different ways - but both songs are personal, intimate and gentle. Both music videos being black/white might have helped to draw that conclusion, though.

Yeah, "In Your Eyes" is 100% Kylie sound. It's surprising that you didn't love it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoenix View Post
    Don't forget to update your sig - Ari had her time to shine, but now the spotlight's on Kylie.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Don't forget to update your signature!
    Strangely, I haven't been able to update my signature due to too many units. I had to get rid off the link to "Mainshow Goes Dicks" and it will be written in small letters from now on but I hope you guys do approve ;)
    Thanks for noticing + reminding me of changing my sig.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 16:15

#8: "Timebomb" (2012)

Fast, time is ticking oh so fast - relatable Queen of philosophy questioning the concept of time
    A decade after "It's In Your Eyes", Kylie released "Timebomb" as a stand-alone single and delivered another bop. Strangely, it didn't appear on her greatest hits album "The Best Of Kylie" which got released on the same day (can someone please explain this strategy to me? - Anyway, "Timebomb" is pure pop bliss - undeniably catchy and instant. It combines a groovy bassline and some funky synths and turned it into a memorable pop anthem celebrating Kylie's 44th birthday and her successful career. Time is indeed ticking so fast!
    Last edited by Mainshow; Tue July 16th, 2019 at 16:30.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 16:30

#7: "On A Night Like This" (2000)

Let's step back in time, shall we?
    After Kylie's monster hit "Spinning Around", "On A Night Like This" got released. Personally, I think that both songs are essential to grasp Kylie's career. Both songs are Eurodance anthems and "On A Night Like This" really cemented her comeback and actually, it's the second song which introduced me to Kylie when I was a kid. - I loved the breezy atmosphere and how magical Kylie sounds on the chorus.

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 17:00

Thank you for stepping by and reading my posts I'm glad that you like my refreshing kind of way to start my Kylie countdown with a very unusual choice. "Flower" is usually overlooked by fans. The Abbey Road Sessions is such a great record! Tbh, when it got released, I was fed up with Kylie releasing so many greatest hits records, Christmas tracks and stand-alone singes... and I wanted to have a new studio album so desperately... but after some time, that album got me. I love it how playful and intimate it is.What a nice way to re-arrange global monster hits!
    Ha, totally understandable! I don't re-visit it as much as most of her albums, but it's perfect for when I've got a headache/need something soothing.

• "Timebomb" hooks you right away with that insanely-infectious production, and the entire track is such a fun ride! Incredibly effective use of those cute little "woo"s throughout the chorus (similar to "Raining Glitter" years later). Like you said, it makes NO sense that this was excluded from The Best Of (leaving that compilation without ANY new tracks). If they could squeeze "Better Than Today" onto the Japanese edition, clearly there was space for "Timebomb" on the standard international version SMH.
    • "On A Night Like This" is another excellent pick! I ranked it similarly high on a Kylie countdown I did a while back. The whole track has such an epic, anthemic feel - and magical indeed!