Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue #2 + #1

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Thu September 7th, 2017, 19:12

#5: "You Lost Me" (2010)

I'm still pissed it flopped. Christina's image during her "Bionic era" might have been 'too much' but this track is so pure, honest and beautiful. Like previously mentioned, I enjoy Christina the most when she's pulling off these soft and fragile note. Give me a piano, some strings and I'm sold BUT this song is one of her best ones. Do you hear the eerie and haunting backing vocals starting from the second half of the song? - "Bionic" really deserves more praise. The uptempo tracks might be super tacky and generic but the ballads on this album were so freaking on point. "You Lost Me" is just the queen of a bunch of amazing ballads on this album ("Lift Me Up", "I Am", "All I Need")
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Thu September 7th, 2017, 19:16

#4: "Not Myself Tonight" (2010)

Apart from the absolutely brilliant and beautiful ballads, "Not Myself Tonight" is the only other track I use taken from "Bionic" (and "Birds of Prey", of course). I know that this is a very unpopular choice because it's bascially the moment when Christina's (mainstream) career died and she got a huge of backlash from fans and critics alike but she clearly won me with this track. The beat, the rhythm, her voice, the melody and that super amazing middle 8 part with her moaning, breathing, the tribal vibe with the drums <3

We don't have to talk about the super tacky, camp, embarrassing music video, though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)

by Thu September 7th, 2017, 21:11

You lost me was the only song I did not like on the Bionic album, really weak. But I like Not myself tonight and the video too
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 11:13

Thanks to you Mainshow I started listening to more Christina lately. Bionic is actually a really good album, I'm surprised.

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 16:34

those Bionic tracks are sublime and masterful. I love them. Why this album flopped, nobody knows. I love seeing the Bionic love. Bionic is like her Glitter... it is loved only by the hardcore fans despite being a truly amazing album which should be loved by the GP as well.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 16:43

"Oh Mother" is amazing! I adore it, it has always been one of my favorites.

"Dirrty" is a Xtina classic and an amazing track.

"You Lost Me" is THE song that made me lose interest in her.

I was obsessed with "Not Myself Tonight" back in 2010, it sounds very dated nowadays, though.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 16:44

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE

I was obsessed with "Not Myself Tonight" back in 2010, it sounds very dated nowadays, though.
    I think it sounds good dated... the good kind of dated. It's still THAT song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 19:18

"Oh Mother" is so, so sad. I actually find it difficult to listen to at times because of the overwhelming emotion, but it is a quality song through and through.

I've viewed "Dirrty" as a better version of "I'm a Slave 4 U" for some time. It's certainly one of Christina's finest uptempo cuts.

"You Lost Me" punches me right in the feels. The way her vocals flutter on the 'Cause we-e-e-e had magic, and this-es-es is tragic is just gut-wrenching. This is easily among her best songs, and probably my top Bionic track.

I still think "Not Myself Tonight" is terrific. I love its adventurous lyrics, the sensuality of the moans, the hot (literally and figuratively!) music video. It's her most underrated gem.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

by Fri September 8th, 2017, 19:25

You Lost Me is beautiful. Sia at her best when it comes to writing for others, it's visible she was actually inspired and trying back then as opposed to writing hits in 5 min while taking a dump

NMT is really lame and cringey with those lyrics and video, very unnecessary from her... but it's catchy

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by Sat September 9th, 2017, 07:20

Hm, not impressed by either of these two I'm afraid. You Lost Me is a very boring one for me and Not Myself Tonight, which I liked upon release, sounds soo dated now.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

by Sat September 9th, 2017, 07:26

"Not Myself Tonight" was enjoyable, sadly, it was just not Christina's time to shine.

"You Lost Me" is a great ballad, but one of her weakest singles ever.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 14:10

Thank you for your comments, again! They are fully appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Erotica
    You lost me was the only song I did not like on the Bionic album, really weak. But I like Not myself tonight and the video too
    Oh really? - I think "You Lost Me" is so classy, timeless and tasteful and very beautiful. But I am glad you like the rest of the album ;) - "Bionic" is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Leychen
    Thanks to you Mainshow I started listening to more Christina lately. Bionic is actually a really good album, I'm surprised.
    Wow! That's pretty cool that you started to listen to Christina again thanks to my Countdown. It's nice to (re-)discover some discographies and I am very happy that we can do that together somehow. Hopefully, you'll like the next artist as well.

"Bionic" is indeed a very criminally underrated album. Of course, there are some tacky and shamelessly cringe-worthy uptempo tracks with sexual content but the ballads and the experimental tracks are Christina at her best!

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    those Bionic tracks are sublime and masterful. I love them. Why this album flopped, nobody knows. I love seeing the Bionic love. Bionic is like her Glitter... it is loved only by the hardcore fans despite being a truly amazing album which should be loved by the GP as well.
    I think that female pop artists are rather short-lived, sadly, Christina didn't deserve to flop that hard with "Bionic"; I love it that she combined experimental, retro, beautiful and fun tracks on the album. It's always a pleasure to listen to that criminally underrated album.

What's your favourite track taken from "Bionic"?

"Oh Mother" is amazing! I adore it, it has always been one of my favorites.

"Dirrty" is a Xtina classic and an amazing track.

"You Lost Me" is THE song that made me lose interest in her.

I am glad you love one of her best songs ("Oh Mother") but I am shocked to hear that "You Lost Me" is the song which is responsible of Christna "losing you" (omg that pun); personally, I think it's one of her best songs. I love the way she sings "The Love is gone" and the "We-e-e-e--e-e-e-e-e--e- had magic", it gets me every time (and the backing and the piano <3) - Maybe she will win you back again. I just read she's about to release a new song for a soundtrack ;)

"Not Myself Tonight" is really dated but it's still fun to listen to, in my opinion, and it's kind of "timeless" in the way of not getting annoying or sounding "dated" like "guilty-pleasure-ish", it's like "Bubblegum-Pop" for me (best ear in pop music, btw)

Completely agree on "Dirrty", though ;)

I think it sounds good dated... the good kind of dated. It's still THAT song.
    Exactly! <3

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Oh Mother" is so, so sad. I actually find it difficult to listen to at times because of the overwhelming emotion, but it is a quality song through and through.

I've viewed "Dirrty" as a better version of "I'm a Slave 4 U" for some time. It's certainly one of Christina's finest uptempo cuts.

"You Lost Me" punches me right in the feels. The way her vocals flutter on the 'Cause we-e-e-e had magic, and this-es-es is tragic is just gut-wrenching. This is easily among her best songs, and probably my top Bionic track.

I still think "Not Myself Tonight" is terrific. I love its adventurous lyrics, the sensuality of the moans, the hot (literally and figuratively!) music video. It's her most underrated gem.
    Yes, the topic itself makes "Oh Mother" beautifully eerie and very unique and special and I can totally understand that it's not the same like with a party track or a feel good anthem. It sets a different tone and one has to be in a certain mood to fully appreciate this masterpiece.

You. Did. Not. Say. That. I love "Dirrty" but "I'm a Slave 4 U" >>>
    Maybe it's also because I consider (and I have never ever) Christina to not have the same oomph and sex appeal as Britney has/had (especially during their prime). Christina was more like an empowering woman and when she tried to be sexy and be considered to be a sex symbol ("Dirrty", "Not Myself Tonight"), it usally ended up being tacky and camp and way too much. "I'm a Slave 4 U" was way more subtle and brilliant, in my opinion.
    The songs were targeting different aims, though, I suppose.

You put the words right when it comes to "You Lost Me"! That's exactly how I feel about this track as well! Her vocals are top-notch and the way she evokes emotions is simply brilliant and I love the same parts of the song like you do!

I completely disagree with you on "Not Myself Tonight"'s music video and I am not a huge fan of most parts of the lyrics but it's undeniably freaking catchy and I love the production so much. It's just amazing to sing along and have fun while listening to this track (in my opinion). Actually, I did not want to place this track so high because of me not loving the lyrics or what the songs represents but damn, I simply love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    You Lost Me is beautiful. Sia at her best when it comes to writing for others, it's visible she was actually inspired and trying back then as opposed to writing hits in 5 min while taking a dump

NMT is really lame and cringey with those lyrics and video, very unnecessary from her... but it's catchy
    Sia wrote this?! - I had no effing clue. I seriously think that Sia is lacking some inspiration at the moment but "You Lost Me" is clearly proof that Sia is genius and one of the best song-writeres out there!

I somehow feel the same about "Not Myself Tonight" but I just love it (thanks to its production, melody and being so effing catchy). It clearly killed her career, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan
    Hm, not impressed by either of these two I'm afraid. You Lost Me is a very boring one for me and Not Myself Tonight, which I liked upon release, sounds soo dated now.
    I hope you like the last three songs more ;)

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    "Not Myself Tonight" was enjoyable, sadly, it was just not Christina's time to shine.

"You Lost Me" is a great ballad, but one of her weakest singles ever.
    I think people were not there for Christina going all "slutty-dirry2.0-in-your-face", especially when she's the best when it comes to emotional ballads and empowering tracks.

I disagree with your comment on "You Lost Me" but I am glad you still call it "great", at least

Legend
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 14:25

Not Myself Tonight doesn't get nearly enough love! Such an awesome song, I loved it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 18:17

#3: "Genie In A Bottle" (1999)

"Genie In A Bottle": The classic. The iconic.
    Since I'm a huge fan of Britney's, placing "Genie In A Bottle" that high may not be very surprising. There's no doubt that Christina's single got heavily inspired by the Bubblegum Pop sound carried by Britney, *Nsync, Backstreet Boys and others back in 1998/1999. Actually, when I was younger, I wanted this song to be part of Britney's discography and in fact, the song would have been a great addition to her first two album since it's freaking catchy and carries more or less hidden sexual content accompanied by lively imagery and a great choreography. Anyway, it's a Christina song and I absolutely adore it! I even bought the physical single in 1999 (the B sides are also worth listening).

Legend
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 18:19

Hated it for ages, didn't buy into the hype - hated how overrated her first two albums and eras were here.

But then a couple of years ago, with her best years behind her - I listened to it and for some reason, I've loved it ever since.

And these days, I think it's one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years - IMO, superior to anything Britney has ever released.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 18:25

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Hated it for ages, didn't buy into the hype - hated how overrated her first two albums and eras were here.

But then a couple of years ago, with her best years behind her - I listened to it and for some reason, I've loved it ever since.

And these days, I think it's one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years - IMO, superior to anything Britney has ever released.
    If you weren't a global moderator, I'd report this post of yours #outrageous

I heavily disagree, of course, but anway, I am glad that your way of regarding this track in particular has changed over time. Personally, I think "Genie In A Bottle" is a pop masterpiece: fun, catchy, but also vocally impressive and thoughtful. It doesn't deserve to be hated ;)

Btw, agree on your comment on "Not Myself Tonight" ;)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 18:31

Ohh interesting build up to revealing your top 2.

The whole Bionic era didn't really do much for me. I still don't rate Not myself tonight very highly. It's an ok song but it had little replay value and it's probably been 7 years since i last listened to it.

Therefore i'd never heard You lost me until checking out that video. It's a nice enough song but it pales in comparison to my two absolute favourite Christina songs (which i'm hoping at least one of them makes your top 2 although both would be amazing).

Genie in a bottle is undoubtably a pop smash. Although like i've already posted it wasn't until Stripped came out that i really got into Christina's music.

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 18:43

I never really warmed up to early Christina and her songs, don't know why. Maybe it was the abundance of bubble gum pop back then.
    I do however love Genie 2.0 haha

Legend
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)

by Wed September 13th, 2017, 22:43

Genie in a bottle isn't one of my favourites
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Fri September 15th, 2017, 19:02

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Ohh interesting build up to revealing your top 2.

The whole Bionic era didn't really do much for me. I still don't rate Not myself tonight very highly. It's an ok song but it had little replay value and it's probably been 7 years since i last listened to it.

Therefore i'd never heard You lost me until checking out that video. It's a nice enough song but it pales in comparison to my two absolute favourite Christina songs (which i'm hoping at least one of them makes your top 2 although both would be amazing).

Genie in a bottle is undoubtably a pop smash. Although like i've already posted it wasn't until Stripped came out that i really got into Christina's music.
    Thanks ;) - I thought that most people would think that "Genie In A Bottle" would be my #1 because it's a pop evergreen and similar to Britney's first singles.. so that I wanted to present the track alone - It is indeed a "pop smash" <3

Wow. "Not Myself Tonight" doesn't deserve to be getting dusty for over 7 years. You should listen to it again. It's quite underrated and I am glad that you discovered "You Lost Me" through this countdown. I hope that I will not let you down by choosing the "wrong" Top 2 (I've already mentioned that but I am realely curious to know which songs you are hinting at).

Quote Originally Posted by Leychen
    I never really warmed up to early Christina and her songs, don't know why. Maybe it was the abundance of bubble gum pop back then.
    I do however love Genie 2.0 haha
    #BubblegumPop4ever - I am glad you like the electronic/oriental-influenced "Genie 2.0" (I also enjoy listening to it but it can't hold a candle to the iconic original xD)

aww, i love Genie. Great pop evergreen.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Erotica
    Genie in a bottle isn't one of my favourites

I think I will not make you happy with my Top 2 either :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by Fri September 15th, 2017, 19:11

#2: "Hurt" (2006)

"Hurt" has instantly become one of my favourite songs by Christina when I listened to it for the very first time. Personally, I think that this track is one of the saddest hits in the pop industry and again, Christina evokes the emotions perfectly by transfering them via her unique and very diverse voice to the audience. The piano, the strings and her sounding fragile and soft at the beginning when she sings "Seems like it was yesterday when I saw your face
    You told me how proud you were but I walked away" gets me every time. And the song gets even better when it gets all melodramatic and super emotive during the bridge and the pre-chorus.

This song is an instant classic, brilliantly executed by bringing emotions like pain and guilt together and transform it into one of the greatest ballads of all-time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

by Fri September 15th, 2017, 19:15

Genie is great, Hurt is annoying and overrated! She has better ballads (You Lost Me, Blank Page, Bound to You, ...)

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by Fri September 15th, 2017, 19:15

another X-Tine classic. Her ballads are usually really good. This one is another example of that.