Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon's 2017 Faves | #1 ANNOUNCED

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Mon November 20th, 2017, 18:13

PREVIOUS YEARS

Welcome to my annual year-end overview of music that I enjoyed during the year!

As with the previous one, due to my deteriorating music taste, it will be mostly singles based (even more than last year, I think 70) with an accent on mainstream and a splash of indie. All songs released as singles, whether proper ones or just buzz/promo/lyric videos, will be included.

I think there won't be an album countdown because I don't enjoy full albums like I used to. I'll still think about it.

The cutoff will be December 1st, because I will start my countdown in December, and I will include any new December singles in my 2018 countdown.

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Mon November 20th, 2017, 18:16

best artwork so far.

you starting with charli's xcx mø bounce at #1 angel and working your way down the chart?

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Mon November 20th, 2017, 18:27

^ thanks for the compliment. you guessed them all (except for the angel part)!

I'm starting from #80 so expect lots of crap

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Thu November 23rd, 2017, 17:11

I'll be following this!
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [100-96]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Tue November 28th, 2017, 13:33

80. Fergie - You Already Know (feat. Nicki Minaj)

This is a bop and has a catchy beat. It's worn off me a lot since the first time I heard it, hence only #80. Nonetheless, the bridge is great and the song should've been a bigger hit for Fergie.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Tue November 28th, 2017, 13:39

79. Clean Bandit - Rockabye (feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie)

Clean Bandit know how to make good hits. I like this one because the lyrics are not your usual subject matter, and Anne Marie's delivery fits perfectly. Could do without Sean Paul though, but ok. It's not even necessary to mention how catchy and pretty the melody is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Tue November 28th, 2017, 13:44

78. Katy Perry - Bon Appétit (feat. Migos)

The first Katy Perry song that falls in this countdown is the divisive Bon Appetit. It took a while to grow on me, so I like it now. The music video helped A LOT - it's one of her best and most underrated music videos. Again, the rapper feature is completely unecessary and brings the song down a little bit, especially with this autotune Migos trash - it was a terrible move on her part.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Wed November 29th, 2017, 03:22

"You Already Know" is bleh. I played it and don't even remember a single thing about it.

"Rockabye" is a bop!!! It came late for me last year, so I ranked it in the 30s on my 2016 year-end chart. Had I waited a bit, it would've ranked very high this year, possibly Top 5.

"Bon Appétit" is mediocre, but I kinda like the video.

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Wed November 29th, 2017, 23:51

77. Jessie J - Queen

Yes, it's happened. A Jessie J song charted on my best-of list. She's been pretty solid with her upcoming era: she toned down her screeching, the songs are less basic and disposable, the production is interesting. Maybe this would've charted higher if I had waited longer, but it is what it is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)

by » Wed November 29th, 2017, 23:52

Bon Appetit and You already know are great
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Wed November 29th, 2017, 23:52

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "You Already Know" is bleh. I played it and don't even remember a single thing about it.

"Rockabye" is a bop!!! It came late for me last year, so I ranked it in the 30s on my 2016 year-end chart. Had I waited a bit, it would've ranked very high this year, possibly Top 5.

"Bon Appétit" is mediocre, but I kinda like the video.
    YAK is catchy, you need to give it more spins it had the most hit-potential out of all the DD singles

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 15:05

76. Dua Lipa - Lost in Your Light (feat. Miguel)

I expected a bit more from this collab because both artists are strong. The production and verses live up to my expectations, but I still can't really understand what happened with the chorus, as if they stopped trying overall it's solid, the beats are fire, but the chorus always leaves me wanting more. Shame it will remain her underrated flop, overshadowed by the hits before and after it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 15:08

75. DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna, Bryson Tiller)

This is actually a really good song, I don't know why I'm ranking it this low. I guess I just listened to other songs more than this. In any case, Rihanna is super hot and cool here, love her part in the song, and of course that instrumental is amazing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 22:28

"Lost in Your Light" is good. It's one of the stand-out tracks on Dua's album.

"Wild Thoughts" is the kind of song that gets better with each play. It's been overexposed here, and I still adore it. Bryson Tiller's contributions are underrated, in my opinion.

I'm listening to "You Already Know" now and I remember why I forgot about it. It lacks anything memorable even though it's clearly not a bad song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 22:42

Bon Appétit is a bop but it took some time to grow on me. There’s no reason why it deserved to tank as badly as it did.

She needs to stop trying to act ghetto tho. :-?

Legend
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 22:48

"Bon Appétit" is freaking catchy and one of Katy's finest singles. I think it should have been a bit higher. When it comes to the rest of the tracks, I don't dislike them but I think that they are no big losses either; especially Dua Lipa had so much better other singles released this year. Hope to see more of her in your countdown.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Superstar
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

by » Fri December 1st, 2017, 22:49

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    !!!

Your artwork gets more amazing each year.

Love Rockabye, was one of my top 10 favourite singles for 2016. <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Sat December 2nd, 2017, 10:59

Fergie/Nicki is actually a very nice one. I didn't pay a lot of attention when it was first released, because I honestly didn't think I would enjoy Fergie in 2017 but she definitely surprised me.

Bon Apetit is a massive grower though! Was expecting more from Dua x Miguel, but it's still decent enough. Wild Thoughts is cool.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:07

nice to see some Bon Appetit love here after all. and thanks for the artwork compliments, I don't know how I produce such art

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:12

74. Lorde - Perfect Places

Have to admit - the new Lorde album is just not my thing. Everyone praises it as some pop masterpiece, but I mostly find it "ok", samey, and lacking the spark her debut had. This song comes close to her heights, and initially I loved it a lot. It's sorta grown off me, hence only #74. I still like it, and it's my favourite from Melodrama.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:18

73. MGMT - Little Dark Age

MGMT aren't as relevant as they used to be, which is evident in this pretty unnoticed single. It's a cute song - I wouldn't rank it among their best (all of their previous albums had better singles), but it's enjoyable for what it is. I love the apocalyptic vibe, reminds me of one of their past songs, but can't pinpoint which one. The music video is cool, too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:24

72. Kesha - Learn to Let Go

Didn't like this at first, felt too ordinary. And while I still think it's a very normal pop song, maybe too normal for my expectations of Kesha, I grew to appreciate the sentiment of it. It's undeniably catchy, and it's a shame that her team didn't use it better. Instead of releasing it early as a promo single barely anyone would notice, they should've launched it as a proper 2nd single after Praying. Also, the video kinda gets on my nerves. I prefer to listen to the song without thinking about the video.

Legend
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by » Sun December 3rd, 2017, 02:18

Oh excited to see how this plays out!!!

So far a standout for me is: MGMT - Little Dark Age.

I do agree that it isn't their BEST work, but its still a great tune and as you mentioned as a really nice vibe.

Not so much here for the Jessie J and Ke$ha stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Sun December 3rd, 2017, 03:25

I'm not a big fan of Melodrama either, but that's no big surprise as she seems to be more of a singles act for me anyway. "Perfect Places" is good, though I definitely prefer "Green Light".

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sun December 3rd, 2017, 14:19

Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    So far a standout for me is: MGMT - Little Dark Age.
    first the Hole survivor, now MGMT as a standout, you're turning into an alternative diva, so proud glad you checked the song out, I feel these more indie cuts in my countdown will be a bit ignored because most will focus on the mainstream singles

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    I'm not a big fan of Melodrama either, but that's no big surprise as she seems to be more of a singles act for me anyway. "Perfect Places" is good, though I definitely prefer "Green Light".
    Green Light was ok for me, but I couldn't really connect with it as much as others did. I can see why it flopped because for me, it also wasn't this mindblowing pop song. I'm more shocked about Carly's singles flopping than this one, for example