X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carbon
    Legend
    • 19 Jul 2013

Originally posted by flopho
    Oh and cool to see who the girl in your avi is, I always thought in small it kinda looks like a mix between Tinashe and Marina and the Diamonds
    omg she does look like that!

thanks for the comments guys, they're read and noted every time. sorry for the slow updates, I'm extremely busy. should've made this a top 50 and ended it in December, now it's become a mess already

new songs coming up

Comment

• Bellus
      Site Supporter
      • 07 Nov 2012

Originally posted by Carbon

new songs coming up
      Yay!!!! I've been excited for the Top 5!
      Originally posted by SummerPeur
      Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
      Originally posted by Goldmoney
      So does her microphone

Comment

• Carbon
        Legend
        • 19 Jul 2013

[center:3b4h36cp]5. Kate Nash - Call Me

You can call me baby
        When you feel like that
        Call me, call me, call me, you will call me
        You know I'll get right back

[youtube:3b4h36cp]LE3_nCyQ61I[/youtube:3b4h36cp]

Kate's career has gone in a weird path, and her recent output has been hit-or-miss for me. This song turned out to be one of the best things she's ever done! It's a shame she's become so irrelevant in the mainstream world because the world needs a song so positive, warm, cuddly and genuine. I love the structure and the stark contrast between the verses, the buildup and the chorus. [/center:3b4h36cp]

Comment

• Carbon
          Legend
          • 19 Jul 2013

[center:1ados6gz]4. Rae Morris - Do It

And if you've gone cold, you don't let it show
          There's a deeper place that we can both go
          You tell me that I'm wild eyed, baby you're just being kind
          Never going outside, we are working overtime

[youtube:1ados6gz]oNEkBWq5C1g[/youtube:1ados6gz]

Rae's debut album felt a bit basic for me, so at first I wasn't even interested in hearing her new stuff. Heard this by accident and fell in love instantly. It's a carpe diem type of song, full of lush and dreamy layers, while the repetition in the chorus makes you want to dance and feel happy and carefree. One more underrated should-have-been hit of 2017. I've been replaying it like crazy and I wish more people would. [/center:1ados6gz]

Comment

• Carbon
            Legend
            • 19 Jul 2013

[center:31nfjk2p]3. Austra - I Love You More Than You Love Yourself

The past, how thick it grows
            Shakes up what you didn’t know
            Proceeding, try a little bit harder, baby
            You’re indifferent
            You’re a stranger to what makes you feel good

[youtube:31nfjk2p]AE9ePc0OTjs[/youtube:31nfjk2p]

Austra released the best song of their career with this one. Not only is the video brilliant - depicting the story of astronaut Lisa Nowak (google her) and casting light on the issue of depression - but the song itself is so well written, packed with emotion, and unique because of the singer's haunting vocals. This was a contender for SOTY at one point, but alas, two other songs beat it when they came out.

CAN YOU GUESS THE TOP 2?[/center:31nfjk2p]

Comment

• flopho
              Legend
              • 02 Sep 2012

Weren't familiar with the recent three tracks

Kate Nash - Call Me - this is good, although I feel like the chorus is a bit underwhelming. The verses are much stronger imo, haven't listened to her in years btw
              Rae Morris - Do It - Oh wait, I've actually heard this before as I've seen it quite a lot on different charts here and a few people mentioning her, interestingly it never clicked with me until now, can see this growing on me a lot and ending up on my 2018 chart #lateho
              Austra - I Love You More Than You Love Yourself - wow, this song really hits the nail on the head, brilliant lyrics, and voice too! I'm not too keen on the production though but still, all things considered, a strong track.
              Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

• Carbon
                Legend
                • 19 Jul 2013

[center:1qg51xsl]2. Miley Cyrus - Younger Now

Feels like I just woke up
                Like all this time I've been asleep
                Even though it's not who I am
                I'm not afraid of who I used to be

[youtube:1qg51xsl]-LX2kpeyp80[/youtube:1qg51xsl]

From the opening lines, this song became a fave. Honestly words cannot describe how much I relate to this one, feels as if the lyrics were written for me not only is this a pop gem musically, its video is so surreal and dreamy, and its lyrics are comforting, happy and hopeful. I wish I could translate all my emotions and thoughts that occur while I listen to this, but alas I can't. I relate to this because I feel I have changed a lot AND I actually do feel younger now than ever before... however, at the same time, this song is a good empowerment song for those who feel that nothing will ever change - it really will eventually! No need to mention that this song flopping is one of the worst musical moments of 2017.[/center:1qg51xsl]

Comment

• Carbon
                  Legend
                  • 19 Jul 2013

[center:3mxkqo9h]1. Miley Cyrus - Malibu

We are just like the waves that flow back and forth
                  Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning and you're there to save me
                  And I wanna thank you with all of my heart
                  It's a brand new start
                  A dream come true
                  In Malibu

[youtube:3mxkqo9h]8j9zMok6two[/youtube:3mxkqo9h]

Another one by Miley, I know. This song was a love at first listen. The structure and production are simply perfect - sunny, breezy, country-tinged, yet still very pop. Something about the whole sound (probably influenced by the video) feels cathartic and gives me this feeling of freedom and happiness. It's a very summery song and I replayed it like crazy this summer. The bridge (basically the "aaaah" part ) is no less than gorgeous, her vocals are emotive and warm, and the lyrics are pretty, but not cheesy (well, for me at least). Anyway, glad this one was at least a hit, it totally deserved it. Miley made me a fan with this album and its two singles!

Thanks to those few who kept on following me till the end! I planned to end this by January, but my new job started and a whole bunch of life changes with it, so this was dragged on and people lost interest. Oh well, it's here now and whoever's curious can find it!

There will be no album countdown after all since I haven't listened to a lot of them and no one cares at this point.
                  [/center:3mxkqo9h]

Comment

• Bellus
                    Site Supporter
                    • 07 Nov 2012

Re: Carbon's 2017 Faves | #1 ANNOUNCED

WHAT?!?!

NO WAY!!!!!! Miley taking out the #1 and #2 spot!!!!!!! I am SHOOK.

Hahaha babe, I had no idea you enjoyed both of her singles that much!

Thank-you for your countdown (I know you got a bit busy, which is perfectly ok, that happens <3). But I really enjoyed it and thank-you for letting me be apart of it!

5. Kate Nash - Call Me

^ Checked out this song as well, as I don't know Kate Nash very well still at all. I enjoyed it . Bit summery isn't it.
                    Originally posted by SummerPeur
                    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
                    Originally posted by Goldmoney
                    So does her microphone

Comment

• Carbon
                      Legend
                      • 19 Jul 2013

Re: Carbon's 2017 Faves | #1 ANNOUNCED

Oh sweetie, thank YOU for actually following this till the end with interest and even playing some new songs, I really appreciate it <3

Comment

• flopho
                        Legend
                        • 02 Sep 2012

Didn't know you stan Miley so much! Malibu is the track I've heard before, it's a cute song and I prefer her current "image", however I feel like songs like We Can't Stop/Wrecking Ball were stronger.
                        Haven't heard Younger Now before, I liked it! Might even enjoy this one more than Malibu, although I guess the same goes for this, good but she can do better.
                        Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

• Biebz
                          Legend
                          • 02 Jun 2013

Are you UKMIX's #1 Miley stan now or something?
                          *CLICK* - FREE AMAZON/ITUNES VOUCHERS - *CLICK*

Comment

• Carbon
                            Legend
                            • 19 Jul 2013

Originally posted by Biebz
                            Are you UKMIX's #1 Miley stan now or something?
                            probably yeah, this new album converted me and all her live performances are amazing - absolutely love her voice and style now. I admit the change does feel extreme when compared to her previous two albums, but I think it was genuine because even her past live performances showed that she had this in her. she gets so much unfair hate nowadays, especially on ukmix

not only the original stuff, but even her covers like No Freedom or Landslide are stunning

still, Malibu and Younger Now are just perfection, I'd even tie them as #1 sometimes

Originally posted by flopho
                            Didn't know you stan Miley so much! Malibu is the track I've heard before, it's a cute song and I prefer her current "image", however I feel like songs like We Can't Stop/Wrecking Ball were stronger.
                            Haven't heard Younger Now before, I liked it! Might even enjoy this one more than Malibu, although I guess the same goes for this, good but she can do better.
                            these are deffo superior to the Bangerz stuff. WCS and WB were bops, but give me no feels. Tho I still love to play WCS and not to mention Adore You, which is excellent

Comment

• JSparksFan
                              Moderator and Site Supporter
                              • 24 Jul 2009

"Do It" is such a fun, catchy bop! I love it.

"Younger Now" is decent. Miley's latest project didn't really connect with me save for...

"Malibu" is gorgeous. It's so simple (the chorus is literally a short sentence), but equally as endearing. It's one of her best songs, and I wish it were an even bigger hit than it was. Great #1!
                              Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#7]
                              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
                              AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
                              Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• Tansike
                                Site Supporter
                                • 28 Jan 2012

YESSS... first Selena, then Miley... you're slowly coming to the dark side of former disney stars

Love to see that Top2. Miley really delivered last year and i'm shocked how she still flopped. Okay, "Malibu" was a hit for her, but it deserved even more, and "Younger Now" should have been another moderate or even big hit for her. No idea what went wrong there. Pop at its best for sure.

Comment

• LOVE+FEAR
                                  Superstar
                                  • 19 Sep 2015

I think there won't be an album countdown because I don't enjoy full albums like I used to. I'll still think about it.
                                  Oh any idea why?
                                  2019 Year End Charts: The 20/20 Experience

Comment

• Carbon
                                    Legend
                                    • 19 Jul 2013

Originally posted by KokoCollino
                                    I think there won't be an album countdown because I don't enjoy full albums like I used to. I'll still think about it.
                                    Oh any idea why?
                                    I’ve become a basic bitch that listens to singles on yt instead of full albums

Comment

Working...