Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-03-18, 13:47

A L B U M . . Y E A R - E N D . . C H A R T S . . 2 0 1 7

3. Halsey – hopeless fountain kingdom

Chartrun: *1*-1-2-1-1-1-1-2-2-3-4-3-5-7-8-9-11-16-18-16-11-14-16-12-9-8-6-6-9- / 29w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

Halsey got two votes in the poll and she was definitely a good choice to vote for, as her second studio album "hopeless fountain kingdom" was easily one of the biggest smashes on my weekly chart in 2017, yet she isn't the one who tops my charts and ends up third on the Albums Year-End Charts 2017.

I have a strange relationship to the singer. I can't really remember how i found out about her, but i did discover her shortly before the release of her debut "Badlands", and while i thought the music she did on it was already interesting back then, her persona was really off-putting for me and so she left my radar fast again. However, despite not liking her as an artist, i got hyped for her second album, and was so excited to hear its lead single "Now Or Never", which immediately became my favorite song from her at that time. Once the album came out, i fell in love with her completely, and now i'm even loving her as an artist. This album is just SO GOOD! The only tracks i skip are the intro and the closer, which are still solid though. The rest is alternative pop at its best - or as someone else on UKMix once described it: Tumblr pop at its best! She made everything right with "hopeless fountain kingdom" in my opinion, from artwork, to music, to promotion, and here's hope this gets some more single releases through 2018.

"hopeless fountain kingdom" spawned three singles so far: "Now Or Never" (#8 on the YEC 2017), "Bad At Love" (#78) and "Alone", which just got released. "Sorry" was released as a promotional track in 2018 and will make the Year-End Charts in that year.

My favorite songs:

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-03-18, 13:48

2. Lindsey Stirling – Brave Enough

Chartrun in 2016: *1*-1-1-3-3-2-6-7-6-9-11-10-8-11-14-9-7-8- / 18w
    Chartrun in 2017: 14-10-2-2-*1*-1-4-8-10-7-2-1-4-5-8-13-16-14-12-11-3-8-11-7-11-8-7-8-11-14-18-12-13-16-18-20-Out-RE 11-12-12-19-Out-RE 15-18-Out / 42w
    Certification: 3x PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2016: #3

Similar to the Year-End Charts 2016, the second most successful album of 2017 is also an album which was released in the previous year, and that's "Brave Enough" by Lindsey Stirling. The violinist has released yet another strong effort with this album, as it still has the typical Lindsey sound with all the dubstep and violin play, but also has influences from other genres, including several collaborations with artists like Andrew McMahon, Christina Perri, Dan + Shay, Rooty and ZZ Ward, offering a great variety of sounds.

With this Top3 finish, 2017 is already the fourth year where she has placed one of her albums in the Top3 of the Year-End Charts. Her self-titled debut topped the Countdown in 2013, follow-up "Shatter Me" made it to #3 on the YEC 2014 (while the debut still was #8), while "Brave Enough" already made it to #3 on the YEC 2016, plus "Warmer In The Winter" made it to #14. 2015 also was a success, as "Shatter Me" (#17) and "Live From London" (#19) both placed in the Top20.

As with all releases by Lindsey, it's often not so clear which songs are proper singles, which one promo singles and which ones just got a simple video as she had fun to do so. However, six songs of "Brave Enough" made my weekly chart: "The Arena" (#8 on the YEC 2016, #269 on the YEC 2017), "Something Wild" (#30 in 2016, #64 in 2017), "Prism" (#85 in 2016, #115 in 2017), "Hold My Heart" (#49 in 2016, #58 in 2017), "Love's Just A Feeling" (#69 in 2017) and "Lost Girls" (#5 in 2017).

My favorite songs:

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-03-18, 13:49

1. Zara Larsson – So Good

Chartrun: 2-*1*-1-1-1-4-6-6-9-13-13-12-13-14-11-12-12-12-13-11-8-5-6-8-8-6-7-10-17-20-17-10-11-1-6-15-19-20-Out / 38w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

And here it is, the most successful album on my charts in 2017: "So Good" by Swedish singer Zara Larsson! With 437 chart points, it had only 18 points more than Lindsey Stirling's "Brave Enough" and 31 more than Halsey's "hopeless fountain kingdom", which means the Top3 is very near to each other. That's a nice increase compared to the Year-End Charts 2016, where the most successful album only made it to 345 points.

"So Good" was released as Zara's international debut album in early 2017, and it was preceded by lots of singles releases, such as the worldwide hits "Lush Life" and "Never Forget You". She already made an impression on my charts with her singles, and i was so looking forward to this release that it was already clear that she'll smash, and in the end i definitely didn't get disappoint by it. My first fears were that the singles were already the clear highlights and the remaining tracks won't have something more to offer, however it turned out completely different, as the album still had many gems left, such as the ballads "One Mississippi" or "I Can't Fall In Love Without You", the catchy pop tunes "TG4M", "Only You" or "Don't Let Me Be Yours" (the latter two still becoming singles at a later point of 2017) or the urban influenced "Make That Money Girl". Overall, the album really has no lows and is a very well done international debut for the singer, and i'm pretty sure that the follow-up may be another success.

The big success of "So Good" was also due to its singles, which were not only hits, but there were also lots of singles releases off this record: "Lush Life" (#25 on the YEC 2015, #268 on the YEC 2017), "Never Forget You" (#17 in 2015, #25 in 2016, #48 in 2017), "Ain't My Fault" (#96 in 2016, #361 in 2017), "I Would Like" (#189 in 2016, #95 in 2017), "So Good" (#151 in 2017), "Don't Let Me Be Yours" (#84 in 2017) and "Only You" (#11 in 2017).

Also on the album was "Symphony", a collaboration with Clean Bandit, which made it to #1 on the Singles Year-End Charts 2017. Therefore, Zara basically made the double this year, making 2017 the fifth year to have the same artist topping the Singles- and Albums Countdowns following 2015 (Nightwish with "Élan" & "Endless Forms Most Beautiful"), 2013 (Lindsey Stirling with "Crystallize" & "Lindsey Stirling"), 2012 (Lana Del Rey with "Video Games" & "Born To Die") and 2011 (Adele with "Someone Like You" & "21").

My favorite songs:

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 21-03-18, 08:56

I kinda expected Ed Sheeran to be on top of the album charts to be honest. But it's a nice surprise to see Zara atop of your Year End Charts.

It's great to see "Perfect" on your favorite songs list. It's probably my favorite song by Ed Sheeran so far.

I've heard "Sorry" by Halsey the other day and thought it's a beautiful track. It might enter my weekly charts soon.

From "SO GOOD" I think "Symphony" would be my favorite track... but "Never Forget You" is beautiful, too!

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-04-18, 22:30

Time to do a(n extremely late) catch-up comment here. I already commented the bubblers and the 80-100 positions so this is from the top 80:

77. Camila Cabello – Crying In The Club
    76. Little Mix – Touch
    72. My Indigo – My Indigo
    70. Helene Fischer – Herzbeben
    66. Lana Del Rey – Love
    53. Selena Gomez feat. Gucci Mane – Fetish
    46. Alma – Requiem
    45. Beatrice Egli – Federleicht
    43. Lena – If I Wasn’t Your Daughter
    37. P!nk – What About Us
    33. Taylor Swift - …Ready For It?
    24. Rachel Platten – Perfect For You
    20. Rachel Platten – Broken Glass
    18. Marina Kaye – Something
    10. Marina Kaye – On My Own
    9. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – My Sweet Mystery
    7. Selena Gomez – Bad Liar
    2. Kerli – Spirit Animal

I'm sorry to say it, but looking at this list 2017 definitely feels like a mediocre year, especially compared to 2015 and 2016 where I think there was more overlap between our charts. And many of those songs I listed here didn't even reach my top 200. But this is not to criticize your dedication and great work with both the weekly chart and the Year end charts! (Would Kerli have been #1 had it not been for the score rule change?)

Albums:

175. Carrie Underwood Greatest Hits: Decade #1
    174. Taylor Swift 1989
    172. Nina Kraljic Samo
    170. Lana Del Rey Born To Die
    161. Rachel Platten Wildfire
    160. Christina Grimmie Side A EP
    156. Louane Louane
    143. Little Mix Glory Days
    123. Lenka Attune
    122. Maren Morris Hero
    119. Lena Crystal Sky
    116. Lea Michele Places
    106. Tarja The Brightest Void
    95. Carrie Underwood Storyteller
    94. Invader Girl Dark Light EP
    88. Aly & AJ Ten Years EP
    84. Tarja The Shadow Self
    78. Selena Gomez Revival
    72. Lady Antebellum Heart Break
    52. Helene Fischer Helene Fischer
    48. Lauren Alaina – Road Less Traveled
    46. Alma – Ma peau aime
    45. RaeLynn – WildHorse
    39. Tarja – From Spirits And Ghosts (Score For A Dark Christmas)
    35. Taylor Swift – Reputation
    33. Christina Grimmie – All Is Vanity
    32. Vanessa Mai – Regenbogen
    25. Christina Grimmie – Side B EP
    24. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Dark Element
    22. Eurovision Song Contest 2017
    18. Marina Kaye – Explicit
    16. Rachel Platten – Waves
    8. Lorde – Melodrama
    7. Lana Del Rey – Lust For Life

There are most likely some albums I never checked out in full but would have liked; included here only those I know I listened to at least once. Lauren Alaina, RaeLynn and Taylor Swift are the three clear highlights in the top 50.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 01-05-18, 03:06

I like Ed's album more than I care to admit. It's soulless, saccharine, and formulaic, but I'll be damned if I sit here and say I don't like 90% of the songs.

Lindsey's album is fantastic. She's been one of my favourite discoveries of the last five years. Her music is insanely therapeutic.

I only know "Symphony", "Only You", and "One Mississippi" from Zara's album. The first is terrific; the latter two are okay. I feel like she's more of a singles act for me, but I might check out an album from her one day.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-06-18, 15:02

Better late than never (i guess?) but i'm FINALLY moving on to the third and last part of this topic. But first, thanks for all comments & let me reply now...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    I kinda expected Ed Sheeran to be on top of the album charts to be honest. But it's a nice surprise to see Zara atop of your Year End Charts.

It's great to see "Perfect" on your favorite songs list. It's probably my favorite song by Ed Sheeran so far.

I've heard "Sorry" by Halsey the other day and thought it's a beautiful track. It might enter my weekly charts soon.

From "SO GOOD" I think "Symphony" would be my favorite track... but "Never Forget You" is beautiful, too!
    Ed was a good bet and he definitely would have deserved the #1 spot as well, though i felt like i got over his album much faster than expected. Zara's album really showed a stronger performance in the long run. Glad you're liking her at #1!

Woah, that's huge! I wouldn't call it my favorite song by him (that's still "I See Fire") but it's definitely one of his better songs to date.

VERY happy to hear this about Halsey! "Sorry" should have been a big hit for her

YAY. "Symphony" is perfect, but "Never Forget You" is even more. And both of songs also relate to me on a personal level. The expectations on new music by Zara is really big at this point.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-06-18, 15:16

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Time to do a(n extremely late) catch-up comment here. I already commented the bubblers and the 80-100 positions so this is from the top 80:

I'm sorry to say it, but looking at this list 2017 definitely feels like a mediocre year, especially compared to 2015 and 2016 where I think there was more overlap between our charts. And many of those songs I listed here didn't even reach my top 200. But this is not to criticize your dedication and great work with both the weekly chart and the Year end charts! (Would Kerli have been #1 had it not been for the score rule change?)
    Hey Magnus

Thanks for having done this catch-up, even though it’s not even that late (especially compared to my reply now!)

I’m glad to see there are a few songs in the Top80 you also enjoy. Personally I have to admit I even expected you to like less than these, as I also felt like there’s much less on your charts that I even know yet alone having on my charts.
    As for the question, I don’t know if I should be honest here since I know you dislike the artist who is #1 on my YEC, but I’m just being honest now: Yes, “Spirit Animal” would have been #1 with 739 points against the 686 of the song at #1 now. Kerli’s score got reduced to 665 points.
    It’s the same scenario on the Album YEC, where the #1 has 437 points, while Lindsey Stirling at #2 would have 465 points which were reduced to 419 due to the new rule. So I guess you would have liked my YEC more under the old rules

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Albums:

There are most likely some albums I never checked out in full but would have liked; included here only those I know I listened to at least once. Lauren Alaina, RaeLynn and Taylor Swift are the three clear highlights in the top 50.
    Obviously no surprise to see you mentioning RaeLynn & Laura Alaina. Two discoveries I’ve made thanks to your charts, and I’m definitely keeping an eye on both artists.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-06-18, 15:20

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    I like Ed's album more than I care to admit. It's soulless, saccharine, and formulaic, but I'll be damned if I sit here and say I don't like 90% of the songs.

Lindsey's album is fantastic. She's been one of my favourite discoveries of the last five years. Her music is insanely therapeutic.

I only know "Symphony", "Only You", and "One Mississippi" from Zara's album. The first is terrific; the latter two are okay. I feel like she's more of a singles act for me, but I might check out an album from her one day.
    To be fair I think there are many people who think the same Me included! He really knows what works in the charts right now!

Always VERY glad to hear this about Lindsey! I can’t believe “Brave Enough” turns two years old already soon, so fingers crossed for new music later this year

Wait, you never heard the singles “Never Forget You” or “Lush Life”? They were HUGE in Europe But the three you mentioned are clear highlights, so if two of them were just okay, then I’m not sure if you would enjoy the whole album. Maybe you’ll get more into her with her second album?

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-06-18, 15:32

M A M M Y . . A W A R D S . . 2 0 1 8

Unfortunately, life kept me busier during the past year than I ever expected, and my whole schedule got messed up completely. It’s mid June now, but I’m finally able to reveal the MAMMY AWARDS 2018.

The 'Mammy Awards' are a yearly award 'show' I've started many years ago. A few years ago i started to post them on UKMix as well, and while a separate topic did surprisingly well for 2015, it flopped hard the following year, which is why I decided to include them onto my YEC topic last year and still doing it so this year. The word 'Mammy' comes from Grammy, and my first name starts with an 'M', that's how the term 'Mammy' originated.

There are 18 different categories with five or six nominees in each category, except the Best Music Video and Best Airplay Artist categories with even more nominees. This is all fun and the winners are chosen by me, but you all can obviously guess the winners, leave your thoughts about it or comment which nominee would be your favorite.

Here are the nominees for the first ten categories – all genre awards:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 20-06-18, 13:16

And here are the remaining eight categories, including the main ones:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 02-07-18, 15:08

Here is the first bunch of winners; the Dance/Electronic, Rock/Country/Alternative and R&B/Urban categories:

• Lost Girls by Lindsey Stirling

• Nirvana by Inna

• The Ghost And The Reaper by The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen)

• The Dark Element by The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen)

• Fetish by Selena Gomez feat. Gucci Mane

• Damn. by Kendrick Lamar

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-18, 10:54

And here is the second bunch of winners; the Pop categories:

• I Got You by Bebe Rexha

• Meteorite by Years & Years

• Stay by Zedd & Alessia Cara

• Waves by Rachel Platten

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-07-18, 15:33

And to have this done & finally being able to move on, here is the third and final bunch of winners; the main categories:

• hopeless fountain kingdom by Halsey

• Symphony by Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson

• Halsey

• 13 Beaches by Lana Del Rey

• Zara Larsson

• Bebe Rexha

• Lindsey Stirling

• Bad Liar by Selena Gomez

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-07-18, 22:20

Great to see "Meteorite" win Best Performance by a Group/Duo. That one's definitely one of my favourite pop songs of the last five years. The video is great, too. Big wins for Halsey!

I'm not even sure I saw the video for "Best Liar". I should probably check it out.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-07-18, 10:16

First of all, thanks for taking the time to leave a reply here! I'm glad you love the winner for Best Performance by a Group/Duo. "Meteorite" really is awesome and still is my favorite Years & Years song to date.

As for "Bad Liar" - WHAT Never? Its video was so critically acclaimed. Selena is playing four roles and it's quite clever. Here it is, i hope you'll find the time to check it out:

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-07-18, 23:49

^ Because I hate the song so much, I didn't care to check out the video, though I do remember people were pleased with it when it premiered.

I just saw it, and it isn't bad. Come to think of it, I don't usually care for Selena's videos ("Hands to Myself" is an exception because of the uber cute male model), so this was slightly better than her average.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-07-18, 09:48

^ Oh, i didn't know you hate "Bad Liar" THAT much

Glad to hear you checked it out & it actually didn't make the worst impression on you

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-11-18, 17:48

I wanted to check out some music I don't know yet, so I came in here and started playing the Loic album and OMG "Mud Blood" is already such an amazing song and video, CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REST !!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 18-11-18, 11:09

^ OMG! Thanks for checking this countdown out & i'm so happy to hear about your discovery! He really delivered a fantastic album and i hope the rest of the album made a similar impression on you

On a side note i just discovered i never updated the first page. Will do so asap... soon it's already time for the 2018 countdown

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 04-12-18, 20:12

^ FINALLY (!) updated the first page. Gosh, I thought i did it ages ago. Also just realized how fast the year went by

Now I'm ready for the 2018 countdown, starting soon... <3