Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iTunes to close in 2019

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 18:50

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/1 ... downloads/

Just right after Xmas 2018

Apple is scheduling a complete phase-out of music downloads from the iTunes Store by early 2019, per sources at the company.

Apple is aggressively scheduling a phase-out of music downloads from the iTunes Store, according to multiple sources tied into the platform or working at the company itself. The termination has been in motion since 2016, when sources first tipped the story to Digital Music News.

At that stage, the plan was to sunset music downloads ‘within 3-4 years’. Now, plummeting download sales may be creating pressure to accelerate that schedule. “More and more, [downloads] are legacy,” one source told DMN over the weekend. “That part is obvious.”

Apple has told DMN that no such phase-out plan exists. One source has repeatedly insisted that the plan not only exists, but that it is ‘on schedule,’ or even ahead of the original schedule.

Throughout the discussions, sources have demanded complete confidentiality. Phone conversations or personal email accounts were preferred, largely to avoid corporate monitoring of communications.

The current timetable calls for a complete termination by 2019, shortly after the 2018 Christmas season.

Importantly, that gives Apple two more Christmas seasons to operate. The plan minimizes disruptions among buyers, with a transition slated for a post-holiday, slower period in 2019.

The phase-out strategy also includes a clever transition towards Apple Music, the company’s streaming platform, according to one source close to the transition. According to details shared, the company would migrate a user’s iTunes download collection towards a brand-new Apple Music account.

Then, as part of a three-month transitionary trial account, a user’s entire collection would be migrated into streaming equivalents. All previous playlists and details would also be translated.

Downloads unavailable as streams would be grayed out, pending future licensing. “But you can always go back and listen to the downloads, they always will work,” another source noted. Over time, “more stuff becomes licensed” and the grayed out collection becomes de minimis.

But the key difference is that users won’t have access to purchase music downloads within the iTunes Store. “That road will be closed,” the source noted.

Word of the transition is happening as music downloads continue to collapse.

The move may be driven by data. According to details shared by Nielsen, paid downloads are crashing in 2017. During the first six months of the year, track downloads collapsed 24.1% in the US, while digital albums slipped 19.9%. Both formats are likely to drop 30% or more in 2018, eventually winnowing away to something negligible.

Concerns of iTunes ‘Bloatware’.

All of that is raising concerns about an overloaded iTunes, especially among Apple engineers who are increasingly frustrated with the platform. One source noted that iTunes has become a “big mess,” while another pointed to recurring “bloatware” problems that are affecting customers.

Pulling out lower-performing formats, especially music downloads, helps to solve the issue.

And then, there’s Spotify.

Also informing the phase-out is a meteoric Spotify. Despite numerous entrenched advantages, Apple Music remains heavily behind the Swedish leader. At last count, Spotify had more than double the amount of Apple Music subscribers. Spotify counts 60 million paying subscribers, while Apple Music has yet to just reached 30 million.

+ Apple Music Is Available in 59 Countries That Spotify Isn’t

And Spotify’s broader numbers are dwarfing those of Apple. Just recently, Spotify reported a userbase of 140 million active users. Apple, preferring a paid-only platform, has a far smaller audience size.

Separately, Spotify is moving towards a high-profile Wall Street entry. And, totally overshadowing Apple Music’s ambitious efforts to overtake streaming.

That may be causing serious frustrations within Apple.

Just recently, Apple Music chief Jimmy Iovine splashed salt on Spotify’s success, discrediting the company’s business model and vulnerability.

“If tomorrow morning… Amazon says, ‘Why don’t we try $7.99 for music?’ Woah, guess what happens?

“The streaming business is not a great business. It’s fine with the big companies: Amazon, Apple, Google… Of course it’s a small piece of their business, very cool, but Spotify is the only standalone, right? So they have to figure out a way to show the road to making this a real business.”

Sounds scary. But the reality is that Amazon Music is already sharply discounted. In fact, Amazon’s Prime-bundled streaming music plan is effectively free, yet Spotify clearly remains the market leader.

+ Forget SoundCloud, Musical.ly & YouTube: Spotlite Is the Next Talent Incubator

That could be forcing some soul-searching at Apple, with product clarification a healthy strategic step. Indeed, Steve Jobs was notorious for pushing consumers into the future, even before they were ready for it.

These days, innovators like Spotify are doing the pushing. All of which makes it increasingly difficult for Apple to remain in the past.

Legend
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 19:01

Expected but it was a good run.

F Spotify. :evil:
    29/3/2005

Legend
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 20:31

Took longer than I expected.

(no gifs, please...)
    Waffles are checked cookies

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 20:54

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -June.html

Maybe not

So will they finally fix iTunes now? Apple denies claims it will stop selling music downloads as 'major overhaul' of streaming service set for June
    Reports claimed Apple could stop selling downloads in 2-4 years
    Apple spokesman said claims were 'not true'
    Music download sales have dropped to $2.3bn from $2.8bn in 2013
    Firm planning major overhaul of its Apple Music service for June event

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z50hXLIFT3
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Manager
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 21:04

I can't see it shutting down fully tbh
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 21:09

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBreakaway
    I can't see it shutting down fully tbh
    If that will happen lots of people will go back to buy CDs and Vinyls again

People who was raised on CDs Vinyls and download will not jump on streaming

People out there still prefer to possess songs or albums than just somewhere in the cloud without this offline fun etc

I don’t know how it works I’m still old fashion person

Superstar
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 22:23

Quote Originally Posted by Ink
    I don’t know how it works I’m still old fashion person
    I'm also old fashioned in this respect. I've still not switched to streaming and i much prefer to buy the songs i want to listen to. Maybe Apple should consider a free tier streaming service rather than just expecting everyone to pay £10 a month, especially those of us who aren't able to listen to music all day long.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 22:37

WTF. That would be horrible.

I'm not used to streaming and I do not like it at all. - I'm an iPod/MP3 Player person and I need to take my whole library with me when I'm abroad (I like to travel a lot); how should I put new releases on my iTunes/iPod without legal downloads? I mean, some albums/tracks will not be released on physical copies & it would be torture to wait for an album if 1-3 singles with no CD releases will be released in advance.
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 22:51

I've never got the Streaming thing, I like to buy music, when I go to work I've got my Ipod with all my music on it and I can't see myself changing from that

I don't buy as much music as I used to, but that's because it's not been the best year music wise for me
    RIP The Queen Of Disco

Superstar
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

by » Fri December 8th, 2017, 23:08

Quote Originally Posted by SeeForever
    I don't buy as much music as I used to, but that's because it's not been the best year music wise for me
    Your comment got me thinking about my iTunes account. I've bought more singles in 2017 compared to 2016, but that said a number of songs i have bought this year didn't even chart in the UK.

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 11:50

You guys know that you can download on streaming services too, right? I used to insist on carrying my entire music collection with me, but nowadays I just download them and manually add songs from my collection not available via streaming services yet.

There really is no difference. We pay £180 a year to Spotify, giving us 6 premium accounts which is £2.50 a month per person, to access all new releases and millions of catalogue songs from almost everyone.

I don’t support iTunes closing though - why would they close down a $2billion business? The infrastructure is there so it costs them almost nothing to let people use their platform for sales, and they take a healthy cut from each.
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 11:59

But you don't own it.

Imagine an artist releases an album.
    You love it. Listen to it every day.
    Then the artist has some mental breakdown and decides that his output is meaningless and dull and takes it off Spotify.
    GONE!

While if said artist just took it off iTunes you could still listen to it because you actually bought the song without obligations, restrictions etc

That happened to Chris Crocker' entire back catalogue except for three singles.

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 12:52

Quote Originally Posted by MrDiva
    But you don't own it.

Then the artist has some mental breakdown and decides that his output is meaningless and dull and takes it off Spotify.
    GONE!

While if said artist just took it off iTunes you could still listen to it because you actually bought the song without obligations, restrictions etc

Sure, it’s a risk - but his music is still legally obtainable right? You would then just buy it and add it manually to your streaming app. That’s how I have Beyonce’s Lemonade on Spotify

Blondie have 2 albums studio albums missing on Spotify - annoying, but again, I just add them myself because I own them. Don’t forget Taylor Swift pulled her catalogue too, but even she has added it all back recently.

I don’t understand the need for ownership over the music - and that’s from someone incredibly anal who used to need to buy everything and take it all with me in mp3 format, just in case I fancied listening to something at any given moment.

Giving all that up is quite refreshing, and freeing. You should totally try it - Spotify are doing 3 months premium for 99p at the minute. What have you got to lose?
    M08T10

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 12:56

But how can I listen to the songs online? - I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 two years ago and it "only" has 32 GB memory.
    There's no place for songs. - How do I get songs from streaming devices on my iPod?
    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

Superstar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 12:59

Spotify is all I use now. Costs me $11.99 per month. If I get the urge to listen to any song I have every liked I can pretty much find it in 10 seconds.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 13:05

Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDiva
    But you don't own it.

GONE!

Sure, it’s a risk - but his music is still legally obtainable right? You would then just buy it and add it manually to your streaming app. That’s how I have Beyonce’s Lemonade on Spotify

Blondie have 2 albums studio albums missing on Spotify - annoying, but again, I just add them myself because I own them. Don’t forget Taylor Swift pulled her catalogue too, but even she has added it all back recently.

I don’t understand the need for ownership over the music - and that’s from someone incredibly anal who used to need to buy everything and take it all with me in mp3 format, just in case I fancied listening to something at any given moment.

Giving all that up is quite refreshing, and freeing. You should totally try it - Spotify are doing 3 months premium for 99p at the minute. What have you got to lose?

No it's not legally obtainable anymore.
    You just can't listen to the song so legally unless you bought the album off itunes between may 2016 and Nov 2017. Cold hard truth

And that happens a lot to niche acts

Superstar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 13:12

Chris Crocker as in the leave Britney alone dude?

by » Sat December 9th, 2017, 14:29

It's not like all the other MP3 services announced a shut down too

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 12:38

I don't think they'll shut down iTunes tbh.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 12:44

well... downloading music is still a multi billion dollar business... it would be beyond dumb to shut it down when digital music is still selling so incredibly well (still bigger than at the peak of physical singles sales).

Many people forget that digital music sales are still bigger than the PEAK of physical singles sales.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 13:51

Used to be such a downloader but I've converted to streaming now. Just means I can listen to so much more for so much less money.

Saying that however I don't know why they would just remove downloads altogether. I've been on a couple of trips this year why wifi wasn't always accessible and it was nice to just buy a couple of tracks and albums to listen to on my iPod.

If people are still buying them, even with much fewer numbers, I don't know why they would stop people from giving them money? Seems a bit odd to me.
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 14:04

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokguy15
    Spotify is all I use now. Costs me $11.99 per month. If I get the urge to listen to any song I have every liked I can pretty much find it in 10 seconds.
    Not all songs are there, there are some material and bonus songs that are not in Spotify but in iTunes and other sites.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 14:13

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokguy15
    Chris Crocker as in the leave Britney alone dude?
    Yeah he's singing haha

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Sun December 10th, 2017, 14:14

Quote Originally Posted by KokoCollino
    It's not like all the other MP3 services announced a shut down too
    What if I don't want six different accounts ?